Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 23/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Well, I think this speaks for itself. If the 18z would become true, this season's start would be a thing to remember for decades all over Europe:
    192_24.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes amazing charts tbh.
    I suppose we are rightly cautious after so many let downs in the past.
    A bit like a jilted lover going on a first date:D

I think this wkd will see snow fall in many locations, though the real cold doesn't get going until Saturday. The wind chill factor looks extreme, will all be very interesting to see how it pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Only 48 hours out on GEFS

only48.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I suppose we are rightly cautious after so many let downs in the past.
    A bit like a jilted lover going on a first date:D

Tell me about it. Ive seen so many marginal setups ramped to high heaven down through the years only to end in tears. :pac:

Ive learned to be cautious the painful way.

Weve probably got another 10 days or so left before this cold spell might start to breakdown, theres a lot of uncertainty and unknowns in that timeframe...Im hoping for some surprises :D but my outlook remains cautious.

Only 48 hours out on GEFS

Thats the control run. Its run at a lower resolutution than the operational run so its less accurate but can be useful to compare against the op run sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

COLDEST ENDING TO NOVEMBER SINCE..

Major cold and some snow is on the way the next week to 10 days across northwestern Europe and London is liable to see the heaviest pre-Dec. 1 snow in at least 19 years (that is all I went back last night). The winter season of 2005-2006 came out of the box fast too (another mega hurricane number year) with the number to beat the last five days of the month in London town at -6.7. So we have to shoot for that and accumulating snow, and I think we are going to get it.

The cold will last through the first week to 10 days of the month but will back off after that. This is not the winter pattern yet. What is going to happen for the heart of winter is the block, now over Greenland and Iceland, will reform over Scandinavia and into the northern part of Great Britain. This will allow the mean trough to form underneath for the heart of winter, hence the threat of the major winter in the coldest part of the year farther south. It's like what will happen in the eastern U.S. the next 3-4 weeks, a rip-roaring start to winter there, then it will reverse. Well the rip-roaring start in Europe this year is not where the heart of winter will be cold. I understand all of you that disagree with me are upset, but look at it this way. If I am wrong, then you should be happy about it; if I am right, no use worrying about it anyway.
    Enjoy the weather now in the area having the early winter shot

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

Bastardi still sticking to his guns then? Hope he is wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Weve probably got another 10 days or so left before this cold spell might start to breakdown

ECM's ensemble mean run keeps it cool right up to 240hrs as well (850 temps):

136177.jpg

although hints that a breakdown from the NW may happen thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

ha this is legend saw it on a different site
    Weather%20Stone.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Bastardi still sticking to his guns then? Hope he is wrong!

Has the fella got a good track record ?

I would take MT's forecast over his any day , but should we be prepared for something that may not happen and this cold spell is only a brief flirt with the cold ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Has the fella got a good track record ?

I would take MT's forecast over his any day , but should we be prepared for something that may not happen and this cold spell is only a brief flirt with the cold ?

you might be right:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

101123_1200_102.png

Now thats more like it for the east if it holds or improves. Hopefully any heavy showers can extend to most of us further inland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

you might be right:(

I should hope not , I dont hold JB in any stock what so ever and think MT is an excellent forecaster and gives a great and in depth analysis.

What I was basically asking was , do any of the more seasoned boards weather members take his views seriously and what his track record has been like for Irish area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

redsunset wrote: »
    Now thats more like it for the east if it holds or improves. Hopefully any heavy showers can extend to most of us further inland.

850 temps looks good too on that run for the 27th.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=ecmwf&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=t85p&HH=96&ZOOM=1&ARCHIV=0&PANEL=0&LOOP=0&INFO=0&WMO=

Hopefully no major downgrades...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

An irish winter will be remembered as a classic if it includes 2-3 significant snow events. This same winter may be classified as having recorded slightly above average temps. However, I would take it over the deep freeze that Joe B is predicting for southern and Eastern Europe.

Cutting all the nonsense of who is right and is Joe on the money, the signs are pretty clear and have been since early September that Ireland is going to see some northerly and easterly blocking systems battle with the Atlantic which, despite a 2 week period of dominance over our weather at the beginning of this month, is not as active as in recent years.

It is as a clear as day to me and others who read the outputs day after day that the Atlantic very well may break down the current blocking scenario but it won't introduce much more than average temps for the time of year. Even then I am confident that blocking highs to our north and northeast will engage the milder Atlantic influence over our weather, hence creating the 'classic' significant snowfall scenario for Ireland i.e. Ireland being a battleground between cold and warmer systems.

Joe also forgets about the microclimate that exists in Ireland and to a lesser extent in Britain. We are both islands at the butt end of the gulf stream. He has been right in the past but he has equally called it wrong for the British Isles on other occasions. Would like to see his rationale behind his outlook explained a little better. I don't see where he is getting the notion that blocking highs are going to drift further east when all the evidence suggests the opposite.

whether he is right or wrong, only time will tell. My money is on this cold spell breaking down by december 10th, followed by a period of 'normal' atlantic influenced weather up until Christmas or shortly after. We will then return to a similar set up to what we are experiencing now. this outlook is based on how the weather has been behaving for the past 2 months.

ps...i don't know if we will have a country for snow to fall on come Christmas. Vincent Browne show tonight was one of the most sobering pieces of tv i have ever seen. This great country is well and truly in trouble :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

batteries charged - check
    car parked under light so I can write 'boards' on back window - check

ready for the snow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The real game changer for this weekend is a low pressure system just starting to form to the south of Svalbard this evening, as shown in the Norwegian Met's 1800UTC analysis below. There is a nearby northerly jet of above 100kts, as seen in the 1800 Bjørnjøya sounding, which is just east of the jet axis.

1800 Analysis
    136184.png2010112318.01028.skewt.gif

This jet will serve to strengthen the susrface low as it moves southwards towards northwestern Norway by 1200UTC Wednesday.

136185.png

One thing I note from the recent midnight observations is that the pressure at Hornsund (1025.7hPa), on the southern tip of Svalbard, is already a couple of hPa lower than the 12Z ECMWF had forecast for this time (~1028hPa). This could be a signal that the model does not have a handle on the evolution of the low up to now, and so future runs could post a lower low than previously, as per the 18Z Icelandic HiRLAM, which has the low at around 1003hPa by midnight tomorrow, where the ECMWF had it at 1005.

00Z tonight ECMWF chart (12 Run)
    101123_1200_12.png

The 18Z GFS is also similarly out on the low tonight, so we could see both models showing slight changes in the depth and track of this low over the next couple of days.

00Z Pressure observations

Su Campu wrote: »
    The real game changer for this weekend is a low pressure system just starting to form to the south of Svalbard this evening, as shown in the Norwegian Met's 1800UTC analysis below. There is a nearby northerly jet of above 100kts, as seen in the 1800 Bjørnjøya sounding, which is just east of the jet axis.

1800 Analysis
    [

This jet will serve to strengthen the susrface low as it moves southwards towards northwestern Norway by 1200UTC Wednesday.

One thing I note from the recent midnight observations is that the pressure at Hornsund (1025.7hPa), on the southern tip of Svalbard, is already a couple of hPa lower than the 12Z ECMWF had forecast for this time (~1028hPa). This could be a signal that the model does not have a handle on the evolution of the low up to now, and so future runs could post a lower low than previously, as per the 18Z Icelandic HiRLAM, which has the low at around 1003hPa by midnight tomorrow, where the ECMWF had it at 1005.

00Z tonight ECMWF chart (12 Run)

The 18Z GFS is also similarly out on the low tonight, so we could see both models showing slight changes in the depth and track of this low over the next couple of days.

00Z Pressure observations

When you say game changer , do you look at this as upgrade or downgrade ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

When you say game changer , do you look at this as upgrade or downgrade ?

Maybe game changer was a bad choice of words.....it's always been on the cards (or charts!), so it's nothing new, but I meant that how it behaves will have a direct bearing on how our weather behaves over the weekend, so a shift either way will have a bearing on the exact properties and track of the airmass.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The most likely solution is that on the ECM. There is a risk in that the deeper it gets the bigger the warm sector but atm models suggest this should not be a big issue. In fact we seem to be reverting back to a colder scenario. Basically as long as the center is somewhere close to the Southern UK we have nothing to worry about. That could change but very unlikely at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

A comparison from last year...

Note.. SST's 4 degrees warmer and we are 3 weeks before the shortest day of the year instead of 2 weeks after it. Obviously the snowfall will not be as widespread :(

This is what came of the 1st chart

Ireanduksnow.gif

55idl.png

and for this weekend....

Rtavn842.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

forkassed wrote: »
    A comparison from last year...

Note.. SST's 4 degrees warmer and we are 3 weeks before the shortest day of the year instead of 2 weeks after it. Obviously the snowfall will not be as widespread frown.gif

I think the higher SSTs could work out for the better, especially if the windspeeds are fairly brisk - negating sea surface modification of air temps.

The temperature difference between the lake (Irish Sea) and the 850 millibar level is usually greater than 13° C for significant lake-effect snow to occur.
    (from Trogdors OP link on lake effect snow, and I'd like to note that fairly decent snow can fall with less than 13c difference!)

I don;t think there's much difference between 3 weeks before winter solstice and two weeks after in terms of snowfall potential once the right atmospheric conditions are in place. The sun is at about the same strength. Ground temps might hinder snow sticking, but they'll fall pretty quickly anyway ;)

Great 0Z ECM. Cold and with snow potential all the way out in FI to 240 hours. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Good morning Maq, ECM looK's great, percip look good too, I have a feeling it will be busy around here today. :)

roryc1 wrote: »
    Good morning Maq, ECM looK's great, percip look good too, I have a feeling it will be busy around here today. :)

And what about the GFS at 384 hours, deja vu? :p

Headline : The weather will remain very cold up to and over the weekend and into next week also. Very cold Thursday night with frost setting in quickly after dark. But a spell of rain and sleet is expected to move down from the northwest and may well be preceded by a little snow in central and eastern areas. Lowest temperatures zero to -2 C. However it should clear again by morning. Friday will be cold and breezy with a mixture of cloudy spells and bright periods. Some showers too, mainly on northern and western coasts, where a few could be wintry inland on high ground. Top temperatures just 3 to 5 C., in a fresh north to northwesterly wind. The best of the dry, sunny weather will be in the Midlands and South. Cold overnight Friday night, with some frost and icy patches. Some wintry showers too, these mainly in northern and eastern coastal fringes, where some sleet and snow is possible inland and especially over high ground. Very cold and breezy over Saturday and Sunday with frosty nights. Cold by day also with temperatures only in low single figures. A lot of dry bright weather, but eastern parts of the country and parts of the north coast, will have some rain, hail and sleet showers, with some snow likely away from coastal fringes over Leinster.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

ch750536 wrote: »
    car parked under light so I can write 'boards' on back window - check

I think this should be compulsory !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Getting worried that all we will see around here is frost on top of wet wintery conditions, followed by the odd bit of sleet. Meantime up the nearest mountain, there will be lovely white powdery snow :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

eskimocat wrote: »
    Getting worried that all we will see around here is frost on top of wet wintery conditions, followed by the odd bit of sleet. Meantime up the nearest mountain, there will be lovely white powdery snow :rolleyes:

Still about 24 hours away from the first blast of the -8 upper air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement