Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 23/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

trogdor wrote: »
    Ah i see, I'm still hopeful of seeing a few flakes if any showers make it onshore despite this though:p 2.5C/0.2C here and the showers are still going strong down the sea. I saw a flash of lightning about 20 minutes ago off around greystones-ish followed by a rumble while out taking pictures, so there's some pretty hefty cells around!
    Here's a pic of the convection:
    A few more bigger pictures here

Stunning pictures!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Unreal picture, I thought it was fake for a second.

Looks like theres snow in many places in UK , see link and peoples status.
    http://youropenbook.org/?q=snow&gender=any

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

carlmwan wrote: »
    here in meath the temp is 0c and dew point is -2 would Precipitation fall as snow?

Should be possible, though there is not much precip around.

England in heavy snow again on the 18z, just like it was on the 12z:
    gfs-2-144.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Whats the cances of getting more snow in Dublin low levels to last year?? Come Monday will it be mayhem?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I'm sorry but that is such a pejorative term, and i am sorry but i don't accept it. However moving forward we must be responsible in forecasting and take measures that are necessary in the National Interest.

You do realise that there is a drinking game called 'National Interest' - every time it is said, you have to drink a short. You now have to take responsibility for my descent into alcoholism... That last one, was the one, that did the damage :o:o:o:o
    baraca wrote: »
    If you read the thread you'd have your answer. and it also depends on where your referring to it snowing. The east coast at low levels? Maybe. High levels? More than likely. The west coast and south? Probably not.

I have been reading these threads for the past week or so... I am a little surprised and excited - that snow is a possibility this early. Strange times,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Seen the rte forecast at half nine, I'm quite satisfied on what she said, cold weather will last all next week and she mentioned the possability of snow for a time tomorrow evening as the front moves south and on the chart it showed snow for the midlands and east, sure hope she's right:)

England in heavy snow again on the 18z, just like it was on the 12z:

Though it does turn to heavy rain in the south as the milder air arrives

gfs-2-174.png?18

Very strong winds with that too. I wonder if the GFS is overdoing that low. Long way off anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Lads even if we don't get our snow,I reckon we maybe in for a nuclear winter if N&S Korea keep at each other!

I would like to make a prediction regarding the upcoming winter,I expect that come the 10th of December the wind direction will switch to an Westerly/South Westerly wind meaning this winter will both be Mild,above the average temp & Plenty of wet rain :cool:
    is your prediction just a guess or is it based on anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Lads even if we don't get our snow,I reckon we maybe in for a nuclear winter if N&S Korea keep at each other!

:

let's hope they go to war so. then we will see who really are the cold lovers:pac:

but seriously according to the experts over on netweather, the Teleconnections appear to support continued strong heights to our NW, which would back up what WolfeIRE was saying last night about no return to raging zonality any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Just seen a report on BBC News, seems to be snowing heavily in Northern England, 5cm predicted overnight in Newcastle and it looked quite deep already from the report

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Though it does turn to heavy rain in the south as the milder air arrives

gfs-2-174.png?18

Very strong winds with that too. I wonder if the GFS is overdoing that low. Long way off anyway...

it would be very unsual alright for a low of that intensity to develop with a blocking high to the north east of it.

Just for fun....sensational battleground snowfest/washout deep in FI at 264 hours:

gfs-2-264.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Had a couple of flashes of lightning a while ago,amazing to see on a completely clear night.

As an aside,thanks for the in depth coverage guys. I ride a motorbike to work and some of my shifts start at 04.00 & 06.00 in the morning so any heads-up i can get on potential ice or snow so i can make alternative arrangements is very welcome. I love snow and extreme weather but i have to be a bit selfish and be concerned about getting to work and earning a living which i why i tend to duck out of snow-loving threads for fear of upsetting snow lovers!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Quick question whens the next gfs rolling out?

baraca wrote: »
    Quick question whens the next gfs rolling out?

It just finished.

0Z starts around 3:30am.

Just for fun....sensational battleground snowfest/washout deep in FI at 264 hours:

gfs-2-264.png?18

Lol even better at 276
    http://91.121.84.31/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-2-276.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

18z = awesome.
    Ireland will close down early next week if these charts come off
    Truly exceptional, with no end in sight to the freezing conditions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Harps wrote: »
    Just seen a report on BBC News, seems to be snowing heavily in Northern England, 5cm predicted overnight in Newcastle and it looked quite deep already from the report

Check it out here, definitely snowing there, lucky gits ;)

http://www.tynebridgewebcam.com/south.htm

Lol even better at 276

Bring it on.

Just a shame there is a 99% chance it wont happen. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Amazing how there seems to be no end of the atlantic blocking, even at 384. What a start to the winter this year!

That didnt work for me. This does though.

http://www.tynebridgewebcam.com/south.htm

Ah look at those flakes...:mad:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::D

sorry i just didn't have anything nice to say about them getting snow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gonzo beag

Had a 10 minute sleet shower here about an hour ago, it was fairly heavy too, thought it was snow until I went out to look. Sky clear now and a heavy-ish frost has appeared.

Just off the phone to my Sister and there have been snow showers in Tyrone over the last few hours.

Just checked metcheck and Netweather and one is forecasting an 83% chance of snow for my postcode for 6am. The other 91% for the same time frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

They had a live report on BBC, the reporter didnt look too happy being covered in snow but it really was bucketing down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Would i be right in saying this would bitterly cold?

e57577ec56.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I can confirm there was a very light snow shower in Strabane earlier. :D It didn't last long and just left a slight dusting that has now frozen over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

trogdor wrote: »
    Ah i see, I'm still hopeful of seeing a few flakes if any showers make it onshore despite this though:p 2.5C/0.2C here and the showers are still going strong down the sea. I saw a flash of lightning about 20 minutes ago off around greystones-ish followed by a rumble while out taking pictures, so there's some pretty hefty cells around!
    Here's a pic of the convection:
    A few more bigger pictures here
    attachment.php?attachmentid=136321&stc=1&d=1290635582

Saw that lightening as well from the top end of Glasnevin when I was out walking the mutts - no clouds visible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A fair bit of Ice on the roads around parts of Galway city for the past while. The most I have seen so far this year. There was a rain shower earlier and it's made the road conditions pretty bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 saxo_vtr

http://met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Oh yeah! It all begins!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement