Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 23/11/2010 onwards

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slingshot

Cars frozen solid but no sign of anything else.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

just had a look at the road conditions from the nra and most areas are dry and above 0 with alot of the posting winds from the north west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's one for ya

9pm Castlederg
    Temp -0.1°C
    Dewp -0.5°C
    RAIN! :rolleyes:

It ain't all about surface temperature and dewpoint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Su Campu wrote: »
    Here's one for ya

9pm Castlederg
    Temp -0.1°C
    Dewp -0.5°C
    RAIN! :rolleyes:

It ain't all about surface temperature and dewpoint!

Can someone explain to me why that is possible.

An automated un manned station?

All the nra ones will for example report rain when it is snowing.

• Advertisement

Just been looking at the various models for tomorrow night and it looks like the precipitation will be sleety rain and snow on high ground. After that it looks dry and cold for me with some serious frosts.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Temp here is 0.8 and DP -0.2. Wind picking up now from 315 ? Wind chill is -3.2. I wonder is there any chance those showers in the Irish Sea can come ashore?

www.blackvelvet.ie/weather/weather.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

2.1C/-1.0C here, fairly decent stats for right on the coast i think! Just need one of those irish sea showers passed this way now...
    JFKIRELAND wrote: »
    Temp here is 0.8 and DP -0.2. Wind picking up now from 315 ? Wind chill is -3.2. I wonder is there any chance those showers in the Irish Sea can come ashore?

I'd say a few may begin to glance off the coast as we go through the night yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 cammo 30

is this the best place to put up some photos of any snow that might fall this winter.......i hope i can get some nice shots for everyone to enjoy :D

JFKIRELAND wrote: »

The problem is that the dp will rise as any shower come closer and spoil the party

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me why that is possible.

It is an automated station yes, but it's very possibly correct. There could be a very shallow cold layer near the ground, not representative of the rest of the lower few hundred metres, which are warmer and therefore won't support snow. If it was a clear night and a shower passed over then that would explain it.

So it's most important to look at the properties of the lowest few hundred metres of the atmosphere when predicting snow, as this is what the flakes must survive to make it to the ground intact. A warm sea and vigorous turbulent mixing can easily put us on the wrong side of marginal in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭markievicz

it's snowing a bit here in Cavan and my friend just txt me to say it was snowing in Newtownbutler (Co. Fermanagh)!!!

my car was frozen solid when I finished work at 10 this evening :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Wasnt expecting to hear snow reports already this week. Encouraging. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

cammo 30 wrote: »
    is this the best place to put up some photos of any snow that might fall this winter.......i hope i can get some nice shots for everyone to enjoy :D

Post them in he Weather Pictures sub-forum which is available HERE. Good luck shooting the pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement