Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 23/11/2010 onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Su Campu wrote: »
    It's snowing in Scotland and northwest England this evening, down to 23m amsl in Boulmer.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=4&nav=Yes&lat=60N&lon=000E&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2010&mes=11&day=24hora=18&vsg=Sg

a friend told me it snowed a bit in Newcastle (they live there) this afternoon,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Already down to 0 at Ballyhaise. Just 1 at Casement.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

None of you Pro,s going to give us your take on ecm 12z

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

roryc1 wrote: »

Smashing output, lots of snow potential.

Almost time to start watching the radar and check your temps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Bit of a ramp there from RTE ?
    :D:D

• Advertisement

Can't complain about that forecast. Cold & scattered wintry showers at the weekend. I'll take that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

More of the same from Jean.
    It appears it will take snow falling beofre they will get warnings out.
    To me the charts scream dangerous driving this wkd, listening to Jean you would think a Northerly toppler was immiinent
    Not good enough or factual enough, coastal showers blah blah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

meh, im getting bored of seeing such cold and snowy charts.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

The met on rte gave quite subdued forecast. Although snow showers tomorrow night were mentioned but nothing much to get the blood flowing. Anyone else get that impression from met eireann?

It's great out to 192. Beyond that, not so good but thats so far in FI it doesnt matter anyway.

• Advertisement

Not good enough or factual enough, coastal showers blah blah

:confused:

She did mention the rain might turn to snow in the east tomorrow night. Apart from that all the other precip on the ECM is mainly coastal out as far as Monday.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Can't complain about that forecast. Cold & scattered wintry showers at the weekend. I'll take that. :)

Would be surprised if we see any snow down our way Maq but the charts are so positive and the cold will be in place so why not i guess. I'm just thinking back to last Winter when places like Wexford were getting streamers from the Irish Sea but only on a few occasions they made it far enough to give us anything here. Its fun watching the Board all the same but i'm very causious and not getting too excited.;)

Would be surprised if we see any snow down our way Maq but the charts are so positive and the cold will be in place so why not i guess. I'm just thinking back to last Winter when places like Wexford were getting streamers from the Irish Sea but only on a few occasions they made it far enough to give us anything here. Its fun watching the Board all the same but i'm very causious and not getting too excited.;)

Yeah we are in a bad position for those showers due to terrain. I remember walking home right in the middle of the tail end of the only one we really got last year, only lasted about 5 minutes but it was outstanding. :D

Out best chance is from frontal snow pushing in from the southeast with the winds coming in over land rather than the sea.

I have just looked back at charts from last year and my confidence is increased.

850hpa temps were not anything exceptional last year, ranging from -4/5c to -9c at times.

This splash of cold looks quite similar if not colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Yeah we are in a bad position for those showers due to terrain. I remember walking home right in the middle of the tail end of the only one we really got last year, only lasted about 5 minutes but it was outstanding. :D

Out best chance is from frontal snow pushing in from the southeast with the winds coming in over land rather than the sea.

At least there is some potential there for the East. Spare a thought for us poor snow lovers on the West this weekend. Raining around Galway at the moment.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Anyone know if those showers in the Irish sea hit the Irish coast what would they fall as ?

M2 buoy DP is -0.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

lol at the amount of rain at johnstown castle :pac:

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

These showers will become confined to coastal areas of the northwest and north early tonight but later parts of the east coast may also get a few wintry showers. Most other places will become dry, clear and cold with some patchy fog locally. Widespread sharp to severe frost with lowest temperatures of -3 to +1 degrees.

Woo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Some lovely cumulus bubbling away and being backlit by the moon just a small bit off the coast here:)
    Saganist wrote: »
    Anyone know if those showers in the Irish sea hit the Irish coast what would they fall as ?

M2 buoy DP is -0.4c

It's marginal right on the coast, here the temp is 3.0C anyway with a dewpoint of 1.4C so a bit high for definate snow right at on the coast...although i expect those values to fall a bit more as the night goes on (provided surface winds don't turn too far easterly and begin coming in off the sea). A bit further inland should increase chances (provided any actually make landfall).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Things look in good shape from tomorrow night. It,ll be soon lamp post watching time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just say this in after hours and thought that it would make ye smile while we wait fir the White stuff.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs494.ash2/76713_483620669112_512884112_5381119_753819_n.jpg

• Advertisement

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just say this in after hours and thought that it would make ye smile while we wait fir the White stuff.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs494.ash2/76713_483620669112_512884112_5381119_753819_n.jpg

Pure ignorance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I have just looked back at charts from last year and my confidence is increased.

850hpa temps were not anything exceptional last year, ranging from -4/5c to -9c at times.

This splash of cold looks quite similar if not colder.

Matty if I remember correctly 850's were close to 0 around Christmas last year yet the cold was severe!
    Hopefully this wkd will be awesome

trogdor wrote: »
    Some lovely cumulus bubbling away and being backlit by the moon just a small bit off the coast here:)

It's marginal right on the coast, here the temp is 3.0C anyway with a dewpoint of 1.4C so a bit high for definate snow right at on the coast...although i expect those values to fall a bit more as the night goes on (provided surface winds don't turn too far easterly and begin coming in off the sea). A bit further inland should increase chances (provided any actually make landfall).
    Rob Mcelwee [ yay \o/] is the current forecaster on bbc news 24 and he mentioned the showers forming off dublin tonight will all be rain and are heading due south to hit pembrokeshire as rain but maybe snow on the moors down in Cornwall/Devon area.
    The graphics which are basically the current Nae showed them staying off shore.
    Tomorrow nights event could be rain or snow ,though he had the graphics over ireland as rain.
    After that ,his words were snow,snow snow...
    He was excited as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Kippure wrote: »
    Things look in good shape from tomorrow night. It,ll be soon lamp post watching time...

hahha forgot all bout that, perfect lampost right outside my house :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

In the near future: are we likely to get snow or is it wishful thinking ??

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

dingle peninsula is getting a bit of precip,anyone care to report?

Queen-Mise wrote: »

I'm sorry but that is such a pejorative term, and i am sorry but i don't accept it. However moving forward we must be responsible in forecasting and take measures that are necessary in the National Interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Queen-Mise wrote: »

If you read the thread you'd have your answer. and it also depends on where your referring to it snowing. The east coast at low levels? Maybe. High levels? More than likely. The west coast and south? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Rob Mcelwee [ yay \o/] is the current forecaster on bbc news 24 and he mentioned the showers forming off dublin tonight will all be rain and are heading due south to hit pembrokeshire as rain but maybe snow on the moors down in Cornwall/Devon area.
    The graphics which are basically the current Nae showed them staying off shore.
    Tomorrow nights event could be rain or snow ,though he had the graphics over ireland as rain.
    After that ,his words were snow,snow snow...
    He was excited as ever.

Ah i see, I'm still hopeful of seeing a few flakes if any showers make it onshore despite this though:p 2.5C/0.2C here and the showers are still going strong down the sea. I saw a flash of lightning about 20 minutes ago off around greystones-ish followed by a rumble while out taking pictures, so there's some pretty hefty cells around!
    Here's a pic of the convection:
    A few more bigger pictures here
    attachment.php?attachmentid=136321&stc=1&d=1290635582

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

here in meath the temp is 0c and dew point is -2 would Precipitation fall as snow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement