Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge waste of money by University

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Could also say the same about music and art or any performing art, sure lets just abolish it all :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Stuff like Art and Music is an interest/hobby...how is chanting going to do anything for the country

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Could also say the same about music and art or any performing art, sure lets just abolish it all :rolleyes:

DAMN STRAIGHT.

Stupid hippies.

Its nice job hunting for extra part time work and then you see a job like this with a salaery of 40 to 50 grand a year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

bigpink wrote: »
    Stuff like Art and Music is an interest/hobby...how is chanting going to do anything for the country

Excuse me, me and my bloody English/music degree would beg to differ. What do you reckon, that everyone who goes to go college needs to be an accountant/engineer/IT consultant (no disrespect to any of the above)? Are you just cribbing become someone is monopolising on a niche? Why shouldn't they?

ETA: Just double-checked and it's Gregorian chant. It's not exactly an obscure tradition OP. It's hundreds of years old and a fairly important part of music history and early theory.

• Advertisement

Millicent wrote: »
    Excuse me, me and my bloody English/music degree would beg to differ. What do you reckon, that everyone who goes to go college needs to be an accountant/engineer/IT consultant (no disrespect to any of the above)? Are you just cribbing become someone is monopolising on a niche? Why shouldn't they?

ETA: Just double-checked and it's Gregorian chant. It's not exactly an obscure tradition OP. It's hundreds of years old and a fairly important part of music history and early theory.

By all means do your chanting course but i dont think taxpayers should have to pay for it

By all means do your chanting course but i dont think taxpayers should have to pay for it

We should scrap choirs while we are at. Hang on, what we really should do is burn all fiction, art and musical instruments, just so we get our money's worth. Lousy musicians never brought a cent to this country. :pac:

So please tell what this chanting course does for this country?Are you making a living from music?Isnt artists very low tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

OP, didn't you hear? We've been abandoned by the Christian god so now we have to ask those damn pagan gods for help. From what I understand, they like ritual chanting...and human sacrifice. Seeing as you don't agree with the chanting, maybe you'd be a team player and offer yourself up for the sacrifice thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So please tell what this chanting course does for this country?Are you making a living from music?Isnt artists very low tax?
    Stupid post is stupid.

• Advertisement

And mean while back in the real world some people are looking for jobs

No, honestly, but a lot of people from my course are, as are people from the years behind me. And just because artists' tax exists, doesn't mean there is no monetary value in performance. That's a basic economic mistake to make. Revenue from ticket sales, travel to venues, entertaining/feeding oneself before/after.

And the idea that that a course has to have some intrinsic value to the tax revenue to be considered worthwhile expenditure is ridiculous, even by AH standards. Also, as you seem to be failing to notice, this Gregorian chant course is adding at least a €40,000 job to the economy which will fuel tax revenue and spending, at least in that one person.

Non-story.

And mean while back in the real world some people are looking for jobs

Yeah, I hear there's a job going for a Gregorian chant lecturer. You should stick in your CV. :pac:

No, honestly, but a lot of people from my course are, as are people from the years behind me. And just because artists' tax exists, doesn't mean there is no monetary value in performance. That's a basic economic mistake to make. Revenue from ticket sales, travel to venues, entertaining/feeding oneself before/after.

And the idea that that a course has to have some intrinsic value to the tax revenue to be considered worthwhile expenditure is ridiculous, even by AH standards. Also, as you seem to be failing to notice, this Gregorian chant course is adding at least a €40,000 job to the economy which will fuel tax revenue and spending, at least in that one person.

Non-story.

Outside of the job mentioned id love to see the figures for running the whole course
    Hopfully it be cut and the money spent on a least something needed by general public
    Ask any normal regular person and i bet ya very few would consider this good value for money

The posters that dont see my view come across as the type that look down on normal working people

Outside of the job mentioned id love to see the figures for running the whole course
    Hopfully it be cut and the money spent on a least something needed by general public
    Ask any normal regular person and i bet ya very few would consider this good value for money

Are you messing? That's it. I've decided you're messing. And on the off-chance you're not, I'm now going to read every post of yours in the style of a Gregorian chant.

Are you messing? That's it. I've decided you're messing. And on the off-chance you're not, I'm now going to read every post of yours in the style of a Gregorian chant.

So you really think this is good value to the taxpayers?

The posters that dont see my view come across as the type that look down on normal working people

Hahahahaha! Yes, really, we do. Because it's impossible for someone from the working class to go to university in this country. That is... Wait, big revelation... Unless they benefit from the tax-funded education. And just so you know, up on your high horse there, I worked a minimum wage job throughout my pointless course to pay my way and am unemployed for the first time since I was 15 -- so more than a decade. But don't let facts get in the way of a nice bit of stereotyping.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Also, as you seem to be failing to notice, this Gregorian chant course is adding at least a €40,000 job to the economy which will fuel tax revenue and spending, at least in that one person.

??

Where do you think this €40,000 is coming from?

So you really think this is good value to the taxpayers?

What did you do in college, bigpink? Let's all decide whether your course is good value for money. Protip -- just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it has no inherent value.

• Advertisement

Naos wrote: »
    ??

Where do you think this €40,000 is coming from?

The university system. Do we stop paying all lecturers that don't teach a "practical subject" then? Whether it comes from tax/fee revenue, that money still gets funneled into the economy through taxes, purchases and other expenditure.

Hahahahaha! Yes, really, we do. Because it's impossible for someone from the working class to go to university in this country. That is... Wait, big revelation... Unless they benefit from the tax-funded education. And just so you know, up on your high horse there, I worked a minimum wage job throughout my pointless course to pay my way and am unemployed for the first time since I was 15 -- so more than a decade. But don't let facts get in the way of a nice bit of stereotyping.

Carry on.

I really cant see how a chanting course should be payed for by taxpayers
    I didnt question that you worked but can see how normal people would well looking for jobs when they see a job like this advertised,come on like:(
    Why are calling your course pointless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Its nice job hunting for extra part time work and then you see a job like this with a salaery of 40 to 50 grand a year:(

€40k-€50k is nothing, sure I won't get out of bed for anything less than €70k, and sometimes not even then.

I don't think you've any idea how much people really make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Just posting to say this thread makes me want to kill myself.

What did you do in college, bigpink? Let's all decide whether your course is good value for money. Protip -- just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it has no inherent value.

Ive 2 years done of a business course and being honest ive learned more working,if i stayed for another 2 years id be broke
    Only useful thing was the accounting

I really cant see how a chanting course should be payed for by taxpayers
    I didnt question that you worked but can see how normal people would well looking for jobs when they see a job like this advertised,come on like:(
    Why are calling your course pointless?

I was calling it pointless to be facetious. And do you get pis.sed off at banks offering management positions because they pay well, even though banks have effed up immensely? I just think your rage is channeled in the wrong direction here.

€40k-€50k is nothing, sure I won't get out of bed for anything less than €70k, and sometimes not even then.

I don't think you've any idea how much people really make.

Have you a job going so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Do you actually think this is a bad waste of money? Go down to UL and have a walk around, the amount of capital put in there over the last few years could have bailed out the banks. They're getting money privately as well but Don Barry and his cronies have squandered a serious amount of cash down there. Some of the investment is justified but then I just take a look at the presidents house or the living bridge and it makes my blood boil. All of this and they can't seem to reform some of the courses, especially the science ones for the benefit of the students and industry.

I was calling it pointless to be facetious. And do you get pis.sed off at banks offering management positions because they pay well, even though banks have effed up immensely? I just think your rage is channeled in the wrong direction here.

Banks have been covered in plenty of threads,i posted made to make people aware of wasted money.The country may not change today but we have to hope change comes in the future

• Advertisement

Ive 2 years done of a business course and being honest ive learned more working,if i stayed for another 2 years id be broke
    Only useful thing was the accounting

So should that course be scrapped because you don't see the benefit of it? Others might be getting some from it, but you're not so should it be done away with? You can't measure the value of all things by your standards. Other people will get different benefit from different things.

And just as an aside, the Limerick course is incredible well regarded by musicians.

Advertisement