Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Forum Feedback Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I'll have a look at the charter later on, change it so its less text and more clear what can be posted. Which is basically anything... Glad to see a thirst for more serious stuff too :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah I always wanted more srs bznz. I thought no one else did. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Serious business is cool with me. ;)

Also, I agree with reallyrose in regards to how people greet each other these days. I mean simply saying "Hi" to someone kind of defeats the purpose of a chat thread no? It wouldn't kill some people to throw in a "How are you?". Likewise, if someone does ask ya that, it's just common courtesy to say more than just "Fine." I mean c'mon FFS it's a chat thread! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Im wondering what people think of a directory of all these username titles we have.

Maybe if it was stickied and the list was in the first post, people would feel a sense of membership and ownership of the forum.

I know there is the suggestion thread, but, as is the nature of that thread and of the creative process, actual names are mingled in with a lot of chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

FWIW, I really enjoyed our excursion to Dominion Ressurection. I'm not normally a black clad character (the irony that I'm doing improv tonight and my team's unoficcial uniform is black!), but I did enjoy doing something different while out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I've a lot of time for the forum, mainly because it was the forum that made me feel welcome on the site. I've made some great friends on here. I wouldn't have a serious boards addiction if it wasn't for you lot:P:pac:

The forum does seem to be suffering due to the focus on the chat thread. Other forums that have a chat thread also have a decent number of threads that would have a pretty good number of posters in those also.

There does seem to be a reluctance to start threads in the forum. On the main page of the forum you have roughly 20 threads started by about 5-6 people. That could be down to posters not being sure what threads would fall into the remit of the forum. Posters shouldn't be afraid to start a thread in the forum. Assuming they start a thread that isn't just being created to troll the forum, the worst that can happen is the thread gets closed. It's not exactly end of the world stuff.

I do like what Doom mentioned about having a kind of alternative take on stuff like films, music, books. This could entice more posters into the forum and over time provide the forum with more users that would generate content. The idea of a kind of "Cult Times" does sound like the sort of stuff I'd also like to see in the forum.

Also, the addition of some serious threads could be a good thing. I'd definitely be interested to see what sort of serious threads would be okay for the forum. And the more variety the forum has in threads, the more likely it is to attract new posters.

The forum has a great community of posters that want to see it continue to exist and grow. I'm sure posters can generate some really good discussions that will only improve the forum.

And remember, DARKNESs PREVAILS:D

If you can read this, you're too close!

Updated the charter, snipped some things, specifically added this:
    This is a social forum. Things are more laid back here and topics can be numerous. Feel free to start a thread you feel the users might be interested in. If in doubt, pm a mod :)
    The forum is first and foremost for insomniacs and those that work outside regular hours or simply just prefer to be up late at night.

Feel free to discuss topics relating to late night existance, lack of sleep, shift working, late night entertainment, or simply beat the night time lonliness chatting in the lair.

Those who like the spooky. Horror/ Dark Fantasy is a heavy theme here.
    Those who enjoy the dark side of culture be it music, film etc. Feel free to start threads related to the culture of the night.

Those who enjoy counter /subcultures, gothic/alt/emo/nerd/roleplaying all have a big following here. Feel free to discuss issues relating to these sub cultures.

any tips or better way to post it, feel free :)

Perhaps we can update the index too......

I dont think bebo even exists anymore.

EDIT: I reckon we leave this thread up for a week or so and then take the learnings from it and go from there. Nice to see the increase in threads already....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Galvasean wrote: »
    FWIW, I really enjoyed our excursion to Dominion Ressurection. I'm not normally a black clad character (the irony that I'm doing improv tonight and my team's unoficcial uniform is black!), but I did enjoy doing something different while out.

I enjoyed it too, it was loads of fun. But as far as I can see, the "vanilla" among us DO make an effort to make the "alt" people (just using the terms already in use) comfortable on nights out, letting them for the most part dictate the venues etc... but no such allowances are made for the vanilla people. When a non-alt venue is suggested it's all, "I'm not going if it's going to be there", "no way, I was there once before and it was full of hipsters", "the music is shlt" etc.

Well I think metal music is shlt and I still went to Dominion and had a ball. I think the us vs them, vanilla vs alt atmosphere is making a lot of us vanilla types sick to the back teeth as Nerin said. If the vanilla people can be big and bold enough to forget wanting to go dancing to 80s cheesy pop and go to Dominion for a night, can the Alt types not make a similar compromise for the sake of the vanilla types and tolerate a bit of mainstream chat, a mainstream bar, a pub that isn't full of similar alt-types and raging doom metal music, for the sake of the forum? I'd never ever force or even suggest an 80s cheesy night out for this forum as I know most of you would hate it -- but just a normal bar? With seats and ambient music and drinks? Is that SUCH an effort, the odd time? Without complaining that it's not alt enough?

As far as I can see, people aren't willing to do that -- or at least, they're not willing to do it without complaining about it. And that just serves to make the vanilla people feel (a) guilty for making the suggestion and (b) unwelcome. As if the Alt members think of this as "their" forum and the vanilla types are merely intruders spoiling their fun. That's how I feel. I think others feel that way too.

I know there is absolutely nobody in this forum who consciously thinks the above about the vanilla people, but that is the overriding feeling for me coming in here now. Having suggested several places to go on nights out (when nobody else would) and hearing nothing afterwards but "that was crap because XYZ", I'm just so done trying to fit in here.

I couldn't give a monkey's about what kind of music plays in what bar we go to as long as I get to hang out with the PEOPLE I meet here -- like-mindedness goes beyond whether you got a slagging for wearing a certain t-shirt or you like certain music. We all have something a little dark, a little alternative in us, whether it's our love of metal music or keyboard cat or Doomy's Motivational posters, or just the off-the-wall sense of humour we all seem to share.

We all have something in common here, that's what draws us here, that's why so many relationships and IRL friendships have sprung up. I think we need to stop trying to enforce "alt-ness" on this place, stop trying to make it be what it was "meant" to be and just... let it BE.

I know that won't sit well with the die-hard original members, but... the way things are right now doesn't seem to be working. The forum is changing, right now for the worse. I'd hate to see it die altogether, but I'm not sure I'm even welcome here anymore. I worry about coming and posting because I haven't been around enough or I'm not alt enough. And that's really sad. I don't want to feel that way. I want us to be a happy family again! :(:p

What venues have you suggested that have been shot down before Shelly?

• Advertisement

I dont disagree with anything you have said there Doom, but in the interests of encouraging people to air their opinions and feelings on why the forum has quietened up and what can be done about it, maybe the mods could just hold back on.....countering the opinions of posters for a bit.

I think at the end of this whole feedback/review process, a discussion needs to happen....but in terms of just getting opinions, maybe just let people air them for now. I mean every single person that has posted has given a different opinion. Im just worried if anyone (myself included) jumps on posts straight away, people will hesitate to post opinions that might be controversial, but might also need to be said.

2c

Pter wrote: »
    I dont disagree with anything you have said there Doom, but in the interests of encouraging people to air their opinions and feelings on why the forum has quietened up and what can be done about it, maybe the mods could just hold back on.....countering the opinions of posters for a bit.

I think at the end of this whole feedback/review process, a discussion needs to happen....but in terms of just getting opinions, maybe just let people air them for now. I mean every single person that has posted has given a different opinion. Im just worried if anyone (myself included) jumps on posts straight away, people will hesitate to post opinions that might be controversial, but might also need to be said.

2c

I'm going to temp delete it in the interest of not bogging down a feedback thread on minituae.

That said, if I want to post something I will. It's my forum too, no more or less than anyone elses.

I'm going to temp delete it in the interest of not bogging down a feedback thread on minituae.

That said, if I want to post something I will. It's my forum too, no more or less than anyone elses.

I know i know. But its the seperation thingy someone mentioned with regards to Kharn. Some people are wearing more than one hat.

Appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I can see where Shelly's coming from. The bitching about venues wrecks my head too. (I mean, someone complained about the venue I chose for my frickin birthday... come on! :pac:) Anyone who's tried to organise a beers will understand how tough it is to please everyone. That said, I like all the places we go to because it's the people I go to beers for because the nocturnal forum is full of some pretty awesome people.

Regarding the starting new threads - it's exactly what the forum needs but a lot of thread ideas have been done before. The problem is, they're old and full of posts/discussion from people who no longer post in the forum. This leads to a few problems.

Let's say a new poster thinks of an idea for a thread, they search the forum and the old thread comes up. They don't want to start a new thread now because it's been done before but don't want to post in the old thread because it might be seen as resurrecting a 'zombie' thread (and everyone is well aware of our feelings on zombies around these parts) or because they look through it and know/recognise very few of the posters.

What's the best way to get around this?

(I mean, someone complained about the venue I chose for my frickin birthday... come on! :pac:)

oh yeah... *takes down name in book*
    Anyone who's tried to organise a beers will understand how tough it is to please everyone.
    this^ it are tough..

That said, I like all the places we go to because it's the people I go to beers for because the nocturnal forum is full of some pretty awesome people.
    ^this too. i'm not a big fan of metal music or whatever and dominion, while i likes the whole gothy thing wouldnt be my scene, but i like the people, so the venue (as long as its not crawling with scummers/staffed by arseholes) doesnt really matter much.
    Regarding the starting new threads - it's exactly what the forum needs but a lot of thread ideas have been done before. The problem is, they're old and full of posts/discussion from people who no longer post in the forum. This leads to a few problems.
    Let's say a new poster thinks of an idea for a thread, they search the forum and the old thread comes up. They don't want to start a new thread now because it's been done before but don't want to post in the old thread because it might be seen as resurrecting a 'zombie' thread (and everyone is well aware of our feelings on zombies around these parts) or because they look through it and know/recognise very few of the posters.

for the record: i dont get the whole zombie (grrrrr) thread thing on boards. i mean in the beginning i might have just followed the mod line, i cannot remember, but now i think its stoopid.

bump old threads if you want. or start new ones if its all old and off the page and stuff.
    obviously if its a date specific thing theres no point, but other than that everyone have at it. :)

Nerin wrote: »

for the record: i dont get the whole zombie (grrrrr) thread thing on boards. i mean in the beginning i might have just followed the mod line, i cannot remember, but now i think its stoopid.

bump old threads if you want. or start new ones if its all old and off the page and stuff.
    obviously if its a date specific thing theres no point, but other than that everyone have at it. :)

Im on the exact same page with this.

I don't get what is so incredibly evil about adding a point to an old thread, especially if you weren't around for it.

I do get what's so evil about zombies though.

Could we throw this in the charter? About the either bump or create thingy.

Pter wrote: »
    Could we throw this in the charter? About the either bump or create thingy.
    will do :)
    anyone has tips for the charter, feel free to give them :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

By the way, it strikes me that I should mention that I am around and have been reading since the thread started.

I just decided that I would break the habit of a lifetime and 'shup for a while and see what came up.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm AWOL or in a huff or anything ... :p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Kharn wrote: »
    I don't know what grames' point about the Lair is, but one thread closed and another started, it was the same thing.

sorry Kharn i really should have clarified this, my first point (about the lair and lair v2) was really just a tongue in cheek comment by me trying to blame something!

My second point is the real reason i took a major step back, i took a huge break during my finals where i just didnt post at all (site banned myself) then when they finished i had to go straight into job hunting (early days and early nights) and THEN work started so i just simply didnt have time! And like i said when im turning off computers at 9/10pm to get ready for tomorrow, im not really being nocturnal!
    I can see where Shelly's coming from. The bitching about venues wrecks my head too. (I mean, someone complained about the venue I chose for my frickin birthday... come on! :pac:) Anyone who's tried to organise a beers will understand how tough it is to please everyone.

i agree with this, it gets a bit much after a while which is why now i usually wait until it has been decided! Hell actually i suggested Peader Kearneys for the last noc beers and it was shot down within seconds for no real reason! (even thought PK's was the dominion venue)

That's why we all love tp smyths.....jukebox means everything from 'tallica to men without hats to toto gets played!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I wonder sometimes is there too much of an emphasis put on the Lair. The Lair seems to be the only really active thread around here most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dominion plays metal now? :confused:

Why does there have to be a limit to beers? if people want a beers in the captial bar or the cocktail bar in the Westin then go for it, those who want to go will go and if people want a beers in the new fibbers or the Gypsy Rose then go for it, those who want to go will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I've been a lurker in here basically since I joined and never really ended up posting.

I have a question: is this forum for people of "alt" types, or for insomniacs?

Genuine question btw :pac: 'Cuz if it's for general insomniacs, my feedback would be that it's a bit too.. erm.. well, genre-fied (e.g. defined by certain subcultures and genres) for my tastes, but some of the topics interest me and the notion of being able to actually find something to do when the rest of the forums are dead certainly has its appeals.

Just feel pretty odd about posting as it seems a very close community, don't like intruding..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

liah wrote: »
    I've been a lurker in here basically since I joined and never really ended up posting.

Genuine question btw :pac: 'Cuz if it's for general insomniacs, my feedback would be that it's a bit too.. erm.. well, genre-fied (e.g. defined by certain subcultures and genres) for my tastes, but some of the topics interest me and the notion of being able to actually find something to do when the rest of the forums are dead certainly has its appeals.

Just feel pretty odd about posting as it seems a very close community, don't like intruding..
    Yeah, this is a place for people who just can't sleep as well as "alt" types. You not intruding here. I like seeing new people around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It isn't as close as most people would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It is for both.
    Trust me this place has had it's fluffy and sparkly momements over the years too.

All you got to do is take part, most folks are very warm and welcoming
    and happy to get to know you as much as you are willing to let them
    and
    I've never seen any sexist clap trap in here
    it's a nice break in pace form other places on the site.

In my opinion its an escape from some of the silly discussions and trolling (that i know is mostly kept in check) that happens in tCN(intended as ironically funny) and AH(not intended as such) as well. I remember going into AH once and a serious topic of conversation was raised by a poster, and the first ten posts were all puns and non serious answers and such. Granted, there are alot of puns here, but i guess they are more in keeping with the spirit of the forum as there is generally a smaller crowd in here and, well, there are SO many people in AH, it can be the case 10 seperate people reply with a pun within the first 10 seconds...which IMO can drown out the original point and/or post.

One of the reasons i love posting here and talking to people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Thaedydal wrote: »
    and
    I've never seen any sexist clap trap in here

Get back into the
    Noc Forum
    !

Galvasean wrote: »
    Get back into the
    Noc Forum
    !

You had me going there for a second! :D

• Advertisement

I would like us to discuss renaming the brooding corner thread.

I would love to copy emulate the success of tLL and their emotions thread.

I think if we more clearly define in a title what a thread is about, more new people are likely to take part.

A suggested title would be;

'The Brooding Corner - have a gripe, happy, puzzled, or a '._.' - then post it here.'

Or something good.

What think ye?

Advertisement