Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Lenny wrote: »
    sound man, this program worked a treat, phone is working.
    its now jailbroken so ya can go to limera1n on the springboard and install cydia, what firmware is it on btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

guil wrote: »
    ya can jailbreak 3.1.2 using blackra1n, think spirit works on it aswell, or ya can update both of them to 4.1 and then jb using limera1n or greenpois0n, but there is no unlock for 4.1 yet

Thanks a lot for this information, gave me a much clearer picture on what it is I need to do. One last piece of advice: Which is best jailbreak method to avoid tethering or is it possible on 3.? ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

its now jailbroken so ya can go to limera1n on the springboard and install cydia, what firmware is it on btw
    Sound man, the version is 4.0.2(will be telling the person not to update)

I just installed the ultrasnow there, nothing physically seems to have changed or anything, but is that it now. its unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Sound man, the version is 4.0.2(will be telling the person not to update)

I just installed the ultrasnow there, nothing physically seems to have changed or anything, but is that it now. its unlocked?

Generally requires a reboot for it to take effect, but yeah only way to really test it is to put in a sim card (non-carrier) and see if the phone recognizes it i.e. give you signal bars or else just says searching/no sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Wrong Thread...sorry!!

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot for this information, gave me a much clearer picture on what it is I need to do. One last piece of advice: Which is best jailbreak method to avoid tethering or is it possible on 3.? ?

Just checked there, spirit works on 3.1.2 and it's untethered
    Just go to spiritjb.com and download the jb tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Filled in the form on the O2 website to unlock my phone on Sunday, got a text today saying that once I connect my phone to iTunes with a sim that hasn't already been used in the phone, it'll be unlocked...now to find another micro sim!

L'prof wrote: »
    Filled in the form on the O2 website to unlock my phone on Sunday, got a text today saying that once I connect my phone to iTunes with a sim that hasn't already been used in the phone, it'll be unlocked...now to find another micro sim!

Restoring does it aswell. Just make sure it backs up everything

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Can I remove this limera1n now?

Can I remove this limera1n now?
    not sure, i'd say to remove it ya have to reboot, that might trigger the activation again though
    no harm in trying

• Advertisement

theres an option when I open it"remove "limera1n"
    I'm getting the usual you tube error, how can I go about fixing it?
    I've reset all the settings option on it, didn't work
    I can't add the source to get the "you tube fix" got any other sources to add you know of?

Sent ya a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I'm picking up a new Iphone 4 tonight that's locked to Vodafone- I'm with 02 and clueless when it comes to jailbreaking etc. Phone software version is 4.0.1

Should I download "Pwnage Tool 4.1.2" from http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1359246784/20102010-event to jailbreak it? What do I need to do then/beforehand?

Thanks,

TheZohan

Ya can jailbreak it with limera1n and then download ultrasnow from cydia to unlock it
    Don't update to 4.1 cos there's no unlock for it yet

Ya can jailbreak it with limera1n and then download ultrasnow from cydia to unlock it

Can I do this without having a micro-sim inserted?

I have a "No SIM card installed, insert a valid SIM card with no PIN lock to activate iphone" message at the moment.

edit: it will, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Will snowbreeze 2.0.2 not jailbreak and then unlock with ultrasnow?

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Will snowbreeze 2.0.2 not jailbreak and then unlock with ultrasnow?
    no because snowbreeze doesnt work on iphone 4

TheZohan wrote: »
    Can I do this without having a micro-sim inserted?

I have a "No SIM card installed, insert a valid SIM card with no PIN lock to activate iphone" message at the moment.

edit: it will, thanks.

I was stuck onthis screen earlier, needed a simcard to activate the iphone.
    the only program that I could get it to activate & jailbreak was the limera1n.
    try it.

Big tumbs up to guil for helping me out with the silly problems I had with my phone :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Hi guys..read the last 10 pages but still dont understand much of it

I have an Iphone 3g on 3.1.2..unlocked and jailbroken..Can i update to 4.1 and then unlock and jailbreak it or is there none available?

Is there a website that fills ya in when one is expected?

Really appreciate any help i get!doing my head in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Stupid question - if I use Greenpois0n to jailbreak my 4 (No interest in unlocking as it's factory unlocked) - do you have to backup your data first, or does it just modify what's already on the phone like the old Redsn0w?

• Advertisement

lpool2k05 wrote: »

I have an Iphone 3g on 3.1.2..unlocked and jailbroken..Can i update to 4.1 and then unlock and jailbreak it or is there none available?

There is no unlock for 4.1 yet so sit tight for the moment
    Stupid question - if I use Greenpois0n to jailbreak my 4 (No interest in unlocking as it's factory unlocked) - do you have to backup your data first, or does it just modify what's already on the phone like the old Redsn0w?
    Just make sure everything is set to sync like contacts pics etc emails and texts will be lost but ya can save them manually if ya want, let me know
    I used limera1n with no problem whatsoever
    It's better to set it up as a new phone if ur upgrading. If ur staying on the same firmware there's no point really

BTW nothing will be lost if ya just do a backup but setting up as new they will

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

iPhone 3Gs - Version 4.0.2 - Modem Firmware 05.13.04 - possible to unlock? :(

Not yet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

guys, just aboutt o buy an iPhone 3GS for my sister.
    its advertised as factory unlocked, but the owner has it jailbroken.

i asked him to restore it so i can check the unlock status but he is reluctant to do it before i buy as if i say no when i see it in the flesh then he will have lost all his data etc

he said its on 4.1 so that proves its factory unlocked as 4.1 cant be unlocked as of yet.

is he correct?
    even if its jailbroken, aslong as its on 4.1 and running a meteor sim card, i can be safe knowing its factory unlocked???

no, tinyumbrella can update 3GS to 4.1 and preserve the baseband, go meet him, fire up cydia and go to manage then packages, scroll down and see is ultrasnow installed, if it is chances are its not unlocked
    alternatively go to settings>general>about and scroll down to modem firmware, 05.13.04 was 4.0.1
    be wary though doin it that way cos theres is packages in cydia that will edit the info in there, it works too cos i tried it messing about on my 3gs ages ago, cant remember the name of it though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

no, tinyumbrella can update 3GS to 4.1 and preserve the baseband, go meet him, fire up cydia and go to manage then packages, scroll down and see is ultrasnow installed, if it is chances are its not unlocked
    alternatively go to settings>general>about and scroll down to modem firmware, 05.13.04 was 4.0.1
    be wary though doin it that way cos theres is packages in cydia that will edit the info in there, it works too cos i tried it messing about on my 3gs ages ago, cant remember the name of it though

many thanks guil, will update afterwards.

Update - picked phone up and all is well, factory unlocked and working on meteor perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

no, tinyumbrella can update 3GS to 4.1 and preserve the baseband

TinyUmbrella *WILL NOT* preserve your 3GS baseband. The baseband preservation feature is iPhone 4 ONLY. If you restore your 3GS to a stock firmware your baseband definitely *will* be updated. The only way to preserve your 3GS baseband is by creating a custom firmware with PwnageTool.

lpool2k05 wrote: »

You could use PwnageTool to create a custom ipsw, preserving your baseband. That would get you updated to 4.1 while keeping your old (unlockable) baseband.

You're best waiting though as 4.2 is expected in the next few days and a new unlock is expected very shortly after

My iPhone 4 has been operator unlocked and I have received an sms to confirm this. At the moment my phone is jailbroken, can I still unlock it via iTunes or do I need to do a master reset for this to go through?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Just put a different carrier sim in it and connect to iTunes. That should do it

Advertisement