Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Download tinyumbrella on a pc, connect the iPhone and then click "kick out of recovery mode"

There's a lot of confusion over the last few pages,
    Limera1n, greenlois0n, snowbreeze etc are all jailbreaks
    The only unlock tool I'm aware of is ultraslow or blacksnow for older devices

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

guil wrote: »
    Download tinyumbrella on a pc, connect the iPhone and then click "kick out of recovery mode"

downloaded version 4.1.9-2 and the "kick start" is blanked out..

I also tried ziphone it says its unlocked it but nothing happens on the phone.
    just trying to get it out of recovery to start off..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Does anyone know if 3 unlock the iphones if requested by the orgional owner?

Only if ya pay off the contract

• Advertisement

what firmware is it on and does it start up normally without a sim inserted
    ya caould also try getting out of of recovery manuall, when it showthe connect to itunes logo, just press and hold the sleep and home button till it restarts

Only if ya pay off the contract
    Ill check it out, its strange the phone was given for free because the person could not use skype calls for free anymore & they upgraded( but the phones not even out that long yet)
    what firmware is it on and does it start up normally without a sim inserted
    ya caould also try getting out of of recovery manuall, when it showthe connect to itunes logo, just press and hold the sleep and home button till it restarts

I tried that alright it just retarts as noraml and comes back to the itunes logo.
    are micro sims free? maybe if I go into 3 and ask for a new one on a new number thye'll give me one?
    firmware is 4.0.2
    can anyone direct me to a link of tinyumbrella 4.1.12 I must be going blind but can't find one on their site?!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Does anyone know how to 're-lock' and 'un-jailbreak' an iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2?

I originally bought it on O2, and now want to switch back to them, so I may as well re-lock the phone.

HQvhs wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to 're-lock' and 'un-jailbreak' an iPhone 3GS on 3.1.2?

I originally bought it on O2, and now want to switch back to them, so I may as well re-lock the phone.

Do a system restore via itunes should bring it back to original state

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Lenny wrote: »
    Do a system restore via itunes should bring it back to original state
    Thanks! Will I lose all my content? contacts, notes, apps etc? Or is there any way to save these?

• Advertisement

Thanks! Will I lose all my content? contacts, notes, apps etc? Or is there any way to save these?

well you will loose your saved settings ie. set up email, prob set ring tones etc.
    But your contacts should be saved to the simcard, your notes will be lost too,
    basically it'll restore the phone back to the day when you took it out of the box.
    have a look when in the notes can you email them to yourself perhaps?
    or you could restore your phone to the point of before you jail broke it(you did back it up then didn't you?), an it should have the settings saved

Lenny wrote: »
    Ill check it out, its strange the phone was given for free because the person could not use skype calls for free anymore & they upgraded( but the phones not even out that long yet)

I tried that alright it just retarts as noraml and comes back to the itunes logo.
    are micro sims free? maybe if I go into 3 and ask for a new one on a new number thye'll give me one?
    firmware is 4.0.2
    can anyone direct me to a link of tinyumbrella 4.1.12 I must be going blind but can't find one on their site?!

its on the right hand side
    TinyUmbrella [WIN]

everything can be synced to itunes except notes, messages and emails
    ya could set up a gmail account in settings>mail>add account and select mobile exchange
    ya can set that to sync contacts notes and calendars but make sure ya refresh the account a few times in the mail app to make sure everything has synced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Hey all, I have 2 Iphone 3GS's (3.12, 5.11.07) that I'm trying to unlock for mates but I'm not sure of best process as only worked with 3G's thus far.

I would like to update them to 4.0 as I hear iOS4 works fine with 3GS but I would prefer them to be non-tethered (also will require unlock). Would the best way is jailbreak them on 3.1.2(3) with BlackRain (or alternative) and then update to 4.0 and use spirit to Jailbreak?

its on the right hand side
    TinyUmbrella [WIN]

thanks the newest version still has "kick out of recovery" blanked out..

Hey all, I have 2 Iphone 3GS's (3.12, 5.11.07) that I'm trying to unlock for mates but I'm not sure of best process as only worked with 3G's thus far.

I would like to update them to 4.0 as I hear iOS4 works fine with 3GS but I would prefer them to be non-tethered (also will require unlock). Would the best way is jailbreak them on 3.1.2(3) with BlackRain (or alternative) and then update to 4.0 and use spirit to Jailbreak?
    theres no way to update to os4 now cos apple dont sign it anymore, were the phones previously jailbroken

have ya tried restoring it lenny, bear in mind though that will update it to 4.1 and no unlock is available yet, do ya know anyone with a microsim to test it from another network

if its saying the 3 sim isnt supported, its not a 3 handset

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

everything can be synced to itunes except notes, messages and emails
    ya could set up a gmail account in settings>mail>add account and select mobile exchange
    ya can set that to sync contacts notes and calendars but make sure ya refresh the account a few times in the mail app to make sure everything has synced

Would that be mobile me or microsoft exchange?

sorry microsoft exchange

have ya tried restoring it lenny, bear in mind though that will update it to 4.1 and no unlock is available yet, do ya know anyone with a microsim to test it from another network

I was thinking that maybe the 3 simcard in it is disabled?
    might give apple a ring tomorrow an ask them what network its on,
    Its not possible to restore it no option in itunes.. when I right click it I can only "eject"

• Advertisement

I have it in DFU mode now, I have the option to restore it but it'll update to the newest version which is not jail breakable, so whats the point in doing it?
    can I go back a version then?

Ya can't roll back firmware unless ya have shsh blobs saved but there's no way to roll back baseband which is what the unlock hacks

There is talk of an unlock being released after 4.2

Try taking it out of DFU and see does it restart normally

Na it didn't come out of the restore.. still back to usual
    its strange though right, it has the itunes logo on it, but when the sim is in it up in the top left corner of it I can see 1 or 2 signal bars?!
    so your advice is to hold out for a bit more?

theres no way to update to os4 now cos apple dont sign it anymore, were the phones previously jailbroken

I know they didn't sign any of the older baseband (well anything before 3.1.2) but they are doing the same for 4.? now?
    Neither phone were previously jail broken as received them both on older firmware.

I know they didn't sign any of the older baseband (well anything before 3.1.2) but they are doing the same for 4.? now?
    Neither phone were previously jail broken as received them both on older firmware.
    i only got an iphone just before 3.1.3 was released so not too sure bout anything before then, i think ur confusing firmware and baseband, the firmware gets jailbroken and baseband is the modem firmware and is what the unlock depends on

theres no way to put os4 on a 3gs unless ya have shsh blobs for os4
    if ya have shsh blobs for x fw ya can downgrade or upgrade to that but baseband cannot be currently downgraded

lenny try running limera1n on it, what ur describing sounds like an activation issue
    http://limera1n.com/
    limera1n hactivates the phone

lenny try running limera1n on it, what ur describing sounds like an activation issue
    http://limera1n.com/
    limera1n hactivates the phone

sound man, this program worked a treat, phone is working.

i only got an iphone just before 3.1.3 was released so not too sure bout anything before then, i think ur confusing firmware and baseband, the firmware gets jailbroken and baseband is the modem firmware and is what the unlock depends on

theres no way to put os4 on a 3gs unless ya have shsh blobs for os4
    if ya have shsh blobs for x fw ya can downgrade or upgrade to that but baseband cannot be currently downgraded

Sorry yeah I wrote baseband when I meant firmware.
    So there is no way to jailbreak 3.1.2/3? Only thing I can do wait for 4.2 and an unlock?

• Advertisement

ya can jailbreak 3.1.2 using blackra1n, think spirit works on it aswell, or ya can update both of them to 4.1 and then jb using limera1n or greenpois0n, but there is no unlock for 4.1 yet

Advertisement