Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

4.2 isnt released yet so it will restore to 4.1, when ya ay it crashed, what exactly happened
    what happens if ya turn on the iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

limerain or something like that . copying something I saw on net. sorry was last week it happened

have ya any idea what firmware it was on when ya got it, if it was 4.1 just restore in itunes

is that hard to do . hope it is 4.1

no just connect it to itunes and click restore
    just be warned though, there is no way to unlock it if its on 4.1, an unlock will be available shortly after 4.2 is released

before ya do any of that, when ya turn it on is this what ya see
    iphone_connect_itunes.jpg

• Advertisement

no just apple logo il try tomorrow when I get it back . cheers for trying to understand me. do you think it will be long till that update is available

i think its due for release this week, have ya tried rebooting it, with it turned on press and hold the power and home buttons together until the apple logo reappears on it
    what happens when ya connect it to itunes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

guil wrote: »
    no just connect it to itunes and click restore
    just be warned though, there is no way to unlock it if its on 4.1, an unlock will be available shortly after 4.2 is released

before ya do any of that, when ya turn it on is this what ya see
    iphone_connect_itunes.jpg

Download tiny umbrella on your pc or mac connect your iPhone then press kick out of recovery mode that will work! don't restore your phone!!

fox007 wrote: »
    Download tiny umbrella on your pc or mac connect your iPhone then press kick out of recovery mode that will work! don't restore your phone!!
    i would have suggested that but its not what the OP is seeing on the screen
    whats so bad about restoring, the phone is locked at the moment, he hasnt a clue what firmware its on and an unlock is due for release over the next week or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

hi

i want to jailbreak my iphone 4,its on iOS 4.1 mainly to have the sky sports app play on my tv.

whats the first step i need to take?
    do i first "backup" the phone?do i need to unlock the phone before i jailbreak?(im on billpay with 3)

i dont want an untethered jailbreak as that will just be hassle i can do without tbh.

after i jailbreak whats the story with updates?ie if apple/itunes bring out new updates?

the software thats on iclarified,is there any reason why i should pick limera1n over GreenPois0n or vice versa?

• Advertisement

i used limera1n cos it was available first, its much of a muchness which ya use, if apple release updates dont update until ya know there is an untethered patch

where do i get umbrella

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭brianhickey

i dont wantt it to end up updating though- just restore

before i jailbreak,do i back up my phone somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

barryd09 wrote: »
    before i jailbreak,do i back up my phone somehow?
    You can back up with iTunes as usual if you want but the jailbreak wont affect your data at all. Best to be safe just in case something goes wrong tho I suppose!

just managed to restore phone - but now i need original sim- eeeeeeeeek what now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hows tricks guys, just wondering if you could help me out here

I bought an Iphone 3gs for my GF a couple of months back and its currently runing the 3.1.3 OS. It was bought in vodafone but is unlocked and she is using a meteor sim. I heard somewhere that if you update the phone in itunes to the lates firmware, i.e. 4.0 it will revert back to its locked state and will be harder to unlock again. Is this true and if so, is there any way of getting around it to upload the latest firmware?

Many thanks in advance!

is the phone jailbroken, if not then its unlocked by apple and wont ever be locked again
    but if it is JB and theres an tweak called ultrasnow installed in cydia, updating will lock it again
    the latest firmware is 4.1 and isnt unlockable yet but theres a possible way to update to 4.0.1 if it is jb

OP download limeara1n from www.limera1n.com
    click the exe when it downloads to start it, it will tell you on screen what to do, this will jailbreak the phone but ya wont be able to use it until ultrasnow is updated to unlock 4.1

be very wary when your searching the net because ya will get all sorts of places telling ya they can unlock it no matter what firmware its on. they are lying, they will just supply details of how to use ultrasnow and will inform ya when its updated and take your money

• Advertisement

thanks do you reckon it be long for update . how do I activate phone though . cant at mo as asking for carrier sim

running limera1n hacktivates it

ok,did a jailbreak using limera1n on iOS4.1 but now a good few of my apps arent working,facebook and the apple app store in particular....why??
    what did i do wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ok,did a jailbreak using limera1n on iOS4.1 but now a good few of my apps arent working,facebook and the apple app store in particular....why??
    what did i do wrong?

ReSync your apps and turn your phone off and back on again. Worked for me.

just turned my phone off and now its stuck on the apple logo and wont start for me!!!arrrgghh!!!

EDIT-I got it back on again but its really slow and unresponsive - app store still not working

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

just turned my phone off and now its stuck on the apple logo and wont start for me!!!arrrgghh!!!

EDIT-I got it back on again but its really slow and unresponsive - app store still not working

Are you using iphone 4 or what? Did you follow the instructions for Limera1n perfectly?
    Try Re-Sync the apps. If that doesnt work just do a factory reset and start again.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Are you using iphone 4 or what? Did you follow the instructions for Limera1n perfectly?
    Try Re-Sync the apps. If that doesnt work just do a factory reset and start again.

I followed the instructions and video on iClarified for iOS 4.1 on an iphone 4.
    I presume everything went ok because i installed cydia and downloaded a few apps and ringtones etc,then downloaded MX Tube Winterboard and they wouldnt work so i uninstalled them via cydia,thats when my problems started.
    Might just restore and start again.
    All i really want it jb'd for is that TV Out app.

EDIT-i havent tried all my apps but any i have tried (about 7 or 8) dont work.SMS and Safari ARE working...hmm
    They load but after that theres no interaction,cant select any options within the apps.
    Funnily enough Cydia IS working and i CAN scroll/select stuff...hmm

Going to restore the phone from scratch when i get home,this will completley remove cydia & the jailbreak??

cheers you have been a great help - cant seem to find a download of Ultrasn0w and is it hard to use

ultrasnow is downloaded and used on the iphone and why are ya looking for it anyway, it wont work, ya have to wait for it to be updated

• Advertisement

according to google it will work today or tomorrow- where will i download it to iphone- sorry but cant find a link

Advertisement