Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is a vague plan for a northern ring of Gort from the M18 junction to the N66, you may see how vague if you click here

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/Planning/DevelopmentPlans/LocalAreaPlans/AdoptedPlans/GortLocalAreaPlan/filestable/TheFile,6914,en.jpg

It is essentially a road to open up lands for development and eventually it will reach as far as the N66.

The chances of there being any development are in the minus figures and therefore it could be deduced that there really is no plan at all. I suspect that for now the Main Street in Gort will become the N66 and shall remain so until Rathmorrissy is complete at which point the N66 should be retired...permanently

And that would be a WESTERN Bypass of Loughrea, non ??? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Thanks for map, you're right its a long way off.

Indeed M18/M6 would be the way to go for journeys from say Ennis to Ballinasloe/Athlone, but Ennis-Loughrea traffic will still use the N66, downgraded or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sponge Bob wrote: »

And that would be a WESTERN Bypass of Loughrea, non ??? :p

Yes. Dyspraxic is I. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    new road opens 12th November 2010 so depends when you set out for shannon.

gb--
    new road opens 12th November 2010 so depends when you set out for shannon.

Where is the 12th November officially quoted?? Hope you are right!!

Just wondering is this date official? Where is it referenced from? As I have tried googling this but cannot come up with something definate.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

How was crusheen this morning\this week?

Between the bypass and the county final its exciting times!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

cremeegg wrote: »
    How was crusheen this morning\this week?

Between the bypass and the county final its exciting times!!

Crusheen was flying it, 2 pubs packed again last night, great celebrations. And dont forget the rail stop that was announced 2 weeks ago, Crusheen is the place to be!!!

Just going back to November 12th, it was first mentioned last week a few pages back and the title was changed, the question was asked then where did this date come from, but there was no answer, can anyone confirm it?

I cant wait for this to open, save 10 mins off the trip to galway every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Crusheen was flying it, 2 pubs packed again last night, great celebrations. And dont forget the rail stop that was announced 2 weeks ago, Crusheen is the place to be!!!

Is Crusheen getting a rail stop ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

glineli wrote: »

Just going back to November 12th, it was first mentioned last week a few pages back and the title was changed, the question was asked then where did this date come from, but there was no answer, can anyone confirm it?

Sorry. I was with tech2 last week looking at the scheme and I asked a contractor, who responded with certainty that the scheme was going to open on 12 November. He made no bones about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ascii wrote: »

Eventually. Another few minutes slowdown in Limerick to Galway services...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭swoofer

used a bit of deduction, the tie in will take 2 weeks so road has to be closed to traffic to allow this, Clare Champion carried notice of road closure from 26th Oct to 7th November , then taffic allowed back on with a few bollards for fine tuning next few days, all works and hey presto opens fully on 12th Novemeber .... A Friday as usual. simples.

gb--

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭god_dos

used a bit of deduction, the tie in will take 2 weeks so road has to be closed to traffic to allow this, Clare Champion carried notice of road closure from 26th Oct to 7th November , then taffic allowed back on with a few bollards for fine tuning next few days, all works and hey presto opens fully on 12th Novemeber .... A Friday as usual. simples.

gb--

Looks like the Clare Champion got it right. They have one of those LED signs up this morning when I was passing stating that the traffic will be diverted through Barefield from Tuesday the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

road closure from 26th Oct to 7th November , then taffic allowed back on with a few bollards for fine tuning next few days, all works and hey presto opens fully on 12th Novemeber
    gb--

Allowed 'back on' where? The tie in will be complete at this point and the diversion through Barefield will be over. This would mean that the new road would be in use on the 7th Nov, no? Where does traffic go between the 7th and 12th?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Ascii wrote: »

Yes, it was announced 2 weeks ago

http://www.clare.fm/news/full-steam-ahead-crusheen-rail-stop

It's claimed the long awaited rail stop for Crusheen will not suffer any unnecessary delays.

Iarnroid Eireann says all necessary funding for the project is in place under the Transport 21 programme and can now proceed to construction.

Certain elements of the development have been completed such as the laying of tracks and talks are underway with the relevant authorities for the construction of a car park, access roads and terminal.

Clare Minister Tony Killeen says although no time frame is in place, the long campaigned for rail stop will not suffer any inordinate delay.

god_dos wrote: »
    Looks like the Clare Champion got it right. They have one of those LED signs up this morning when I was passing stating that the traffic will be diverted through Barefield from Tuesday the 26th.

I missed the sign this morning about diverting through Barefield. Did you catch for how long? Is this for all traffic including that coming from Limerick? Does that mean we have to head through Ennis as well? :confused:

kiwipower wrote: »
    I missed the sign this morning about diverting through Barefield. Did you catch for how long? Is this for all traffic including that coming from Limerick? Does that mean we have to head through Ennis as well? :confused:

I was only travelling south, so only saw if there was a sign there. I don't think it said for how long, just from 26th. My understanding is that all traffic will be going through Barefield for the duration of the divert. It's only through Barefield at the Barefield exit and over the bridge where the tie in is, so no going through Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭urranger

Travelling from Galway to Limerick on Saturday 6th Nov.
    Will any parts of the new road be open on that day or will i just have to suffer the old road??

urranger wrote: »
    Travelling from Galway to Limerick on Saturday 6th Nov.
    Will any parts of the new road be open on that day or will i just have to suffer the old road??

I'd say you'll have to suffer the old road, unless the finish early with the tie in and the other works.

Logically, the end day of the Barefield diversion and the Bypass opening day must be the same day.

topper75 wrote: »
    Logically, the end day of the Barefield diversion and the Bypass opening day must be the same day.

I would agree. Logically that has to be true.

The new roundabout at Crusheen is now in use, to tie in the new roundabout with the old road by the railway bridge. It opened yesterday during the day.

I was only travelling south, so only saw if there was a sign there. I don't think it said for how long, just from 26th. My understanding is that all traffic will be going through Barefield for the duration of the divert. It's only through Barefield at the Barefield exit and over the bridge where the tie in is, so no going through Ennis.

Thanks for that. I also saw the sign on my way back south last night. Just wondering what would you estimate the extra travel time through Barefield at 07:00am to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dreenman

Hopefully but not necessarily - the diversion could end but traffic may only be allowed on the new section as far as the Crusheen exit & routed over the roundabout and through Crusheen until the opening of the section to Gort.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

I would agree. Logically that has to be true.

The new roundabout at Crusheen is now in use, to tie in the new roundabout with the old road by the railway bridge. It opened yesterday during the day.
    dreenman wrote: »
    Hopefully but not necessarily - the diversion could end but traffic may only be allowed on the new section as far as the Crusheen exit & routed over the roundabout and through Crusheen until the opening of the section to Gort.

You may be right.

An unlikely scenario - why not go all the way if you let them on as far as Crusheen?

The only precedent for a partial opening was Limerick - Nenagh, and that was due to special circumstances with an unexpected collapse on the scheme.

I would expect it to open as one unit.

kiwipower wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I also saw the sign on my way back south last night. Just wondering what would you estimate the extra travel time through Barefield at 07:00am to be?

Probably only 3 to 4 mins at 7am, depending on what you get stuck behind, but it might only be 2 mins. You could try taking the right of access road beside the M18 tie in to see how long it takes, as it would be comparable.

An unlikely scenario - why not go all the way if you let them on as far as Crusheen?

The only precedent for a partial opening was Limerick - Nenagh, and that was due to special circumstances with an unexpected collapse on the scheme.

Fingers crossed it'll all open when the diversion is done.

Partial openings due to only certain bits being done are in no way rare - half of the M8 Cashel-Mitchelstown opened before the other half; the M18 Ennis BP mainline opened before most of its junctions were ready; part of the M9 Powerstown-Knocktopher opened because it was finished already and the adjoining section was ready to open...

however there's nothing to suggest Crusheen->Gort isn't going to be ready at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The Crusheen Junction - Gort section is the most advanced on the scheme as it is mostly lined and studded. Barefield to Crusheen was not lined when I took the photos last but had it's wearing course down. It should all open when diversions are ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 dtlibra

Cycled the full length today (bank holiday). Only workers on-site were getting the old Barefield village / school main road ready for the diversion starting tomorrow.
    Works very well advanced - no doubt now that opening will be on Nov 12th. Could be finished earlier with a push! :)
    Main job left is tie-in at Barefield, and lining from Crusheen to Barefield.

Please be very careful when school resumes on Nov 1st - they haven't had heavy traffic for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Did you get a GPS trace for OSM :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

The long awaited Gort -Crusheen Bypass is expected to open within the next three weeks.

Work to finally link the 22 kilometre dual carriageway with the Ennis Bypass gets underway today and the project will be completed by the 12th of November.

However Ennis to Galway commuters are being warned to expect delays in the meantime, as a section of the N18 is closed to allow for the completion of the roadworks.

Work on the The N 18 Gort to Crusheen scheme which extends from Craggard, south of Crusheen to north of Gort at Ballingers Corner began in October 2008 as part of Transport 21.

Once completed it will tie in with Ennis Bypass -M 18 motorway to Limerick and link into the East and South via the Tunnel significantly cutting journey times.

Today work begins to link the Gort Crusheen Bypass to the M 18 and this will involve a closure of the current N 18 Ennis to Galway road from from the townland of Cragard outside Crusheen to the start of the Ennis Bypass.

Galway bound traffic will have to turn off Barefield Interchange Junction and through Barefield while Clare bound motorists will have to come off the N18 at the new flyover via the R458.

The closure will remain in place until Sunday 7th November and a spokesperson for Galway County Council says all other ancillary works will then be completed by the 12th - with the 22 kilometre duel carriageway expected to open shortly afterwards.

http://www.clare.fm/news/gort-crusheen-pass-due-open-mid-november

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement