Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

I havent seen any signs yet, just the poles up for them. will let you know as soon as i see them

Road markings are progressing with the 2white lines completed on the northbound lane, looks good

Hard shoulder yellow line down now aswell. I went over the Crusheen Tubber overpass this morning and there it was, great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

excellent.. i went out the tubber road on sunday evening also and was impressed with progress.. im predicting by COB october we will be on it!!

We can drive from Gort to roscres on a dual carraigeway/motorway.. who would have taught it!! if we wanted to ..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

glineli, any chance of a few pictures?

• Advertisement

Furet wrote: »
    glineli, any chance of a few pictures?

Will try on the way home. God damn camera on the phone always on the blink!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Good stuff, might take a few photos during the weekend.

I took a few photos on the way home last night, here they are. Looking northbound on the Gort to Tubber overpass, then looking north and south on an overpass just south of Tubber. Finally looking north and south on tubber to crusheen overpass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Thanks for the photos glineli. Very encouraging to see that line painting.

I'm now guessing early Dec, or maybe even late Nov, for opening. It will be superb to come up from Limerick at the north side of Gort with only 20 single-carriageway miles remaining to Galway.

Nice to see one carriageway nearly lined and studded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Nice Uncle P

Anyone got reports/pictures of the tie in at the end of the current M18 near Barefield?

glineli wrote: »
    I took a few photos on the way home last night, here they are. Looking northbound on the Gort to Tubber overpass, then looking north and south on an overpass just south of Tubber. Finally looking north and south on tubber to crusheen overpass

in your last image it looks like there is still surfacing to be carried out or am I looking at it wrong

in your last image it looks like there is still surfacing to be carried out or am I looking at it wrong

Sorry about the crap pictures, stupid phone!!!

There are little stretches that need surfacing. not too many mind.

The Ennis tie in, not a lot of progress over the past few week, some barriers up. I wonder will they divert people over the overpass so they can finish it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

glineli wrote: »
    The Ennis tie in, not a lot of progress over the past few week, some barriers up. I wonder will they divert people over the overpass so they can finish it?

I don't think they'll need to. From when I last saw it, traffic was all on the southbound carriageway. I presume they'll finish off the northbound one, then swap traffic onto it while they finish the southbound one. Then plug the hole in the barrier and bob's your uncle.

serfboard wrote: »
    I don't think they'll need to. From when I last saw it, traffic was all on the southbound carriageway. I presume they'll finish off the northbound one, then swap traffic onto it while they finish the southbound one. Then plug the hole in the barrier and bob's your uncle.

Makes sense, i guess thats why road markings etc going on the northbound lane. I must tell uncle bob!!

and would we travel on northbound lane to gort until soutbound is ready??

The scheme is now certainly entering it's final stages with wearing course covering nearly the entrie scheme on the northbound lane and the southbound carriageway is not far behind. Junctions are advanced with lamp posts erected and also fencing for noise is starting to go up. No signs up yet.

Crusheen Interchange

62462_431966549723_220644069723_5067988_2739841_n.jpg

Half Gantry erected beside the Lahardan overbridge

62462_431966564723_220644069723_5067989_6183871_n.jpg

Tubber-Crusheen Overbridge looking south

62462_431966569723_220644069723_5067990_1452068_n.jpg

Tubber-Crusheen looking north

62462_431966574723_220644069723_5067991_1454420_n.jpg

Gortavoher looking north

62462_431966579723_220644069723_5067992_7154329_n.jpg

Gortavoher looking south(why was the road dug up?)

61216_431973334723_220644069723_5068124_2653772_n.jpg

Shanaglish looking south

61216_431973339723_220644069723_5068125_2784283_n.jpg

Shanaglish looking north

61216_431973349723_220644069723_5068126_5507902_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 summer11

Thanks Tech 2 for these pics - Care to hazard a guess on opening date?!

summer11 wrote: »
    Thanks Tech 2 for these pics - Care to hazard a guess on opening date?!

I'd say maybe late November-early December. Should be open pre-christmas anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Slightly disappointing I have to say... I was expecting some signage to be going up and more wearing course to have been laid by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Note re labeling of one of tech2's pictures........what you have referred to as a 'Gantry' is actually a 'Canteliver' type sign, a Gantry extends across the entire road width...:D

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Note re labeling of one of tech2's pictures........what you have referred to as a 'Gantry' is actually a 'Canteliver' type sign, a Gantry extends across the entire road width...:D

Half Gantry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I see from those pictures that they are lighting the mainline on approach to junctions and through the junctions which is good to see. Only partial lighting of the actual junction (e.g. - the roundabouts, the bridge itself and half the on/off ramps) has been done on some recent schemes. I wish there was more consistancy with junction lighting.

drove down there tonite...
    signposts up at gort roundabout.. i think 1st novemebr we will be motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Someone get on a bike and map this for OSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

cremeegg wrote: »
    drove down there tonite...
    signposts up at gort roundabout.. i think 1st novemebr we will be motoring.

I'd be hoping for Friday 22nd October. I'll be passing through that day.

cremeegg wrote: »
    1st novemebr
    black47 wrote: »
    Friday 22nd October

Not a chance of either I am sorry to say. You are only giving them 1 month to finish!! Plenty left on this yet. We'll be lucky if we get it by early December realistically.

topper.. your breaking my heart?!

care to elaborate?

OK - I had better be honest and say that I am just guessing like yourselves. I think you guys are overly optimistic because tech2's photos show:
    • some surfacing still required
    • lots of side fencing to do
    • line painting and cats eyes to do
    • tie in works at Barefield still to do
    • stuff besides we don't know about e.g. lighting, cables, whatever
    Progress has been slow of late. My experience watching other schemes such as the Limerick tunnel and the Ennis bypass mean that though things seem almost done to the layman's eye, things often get slow towards the end.

On the upside - it'll make a nice Christmas present for all of us to look forward to!:)

• Advertisement

I'd be inclined to agree. I remeber when the M6 Galway to Ballinasloe was completed and therewas still another 6 weeks of a wait for safetu testing or something like that

If the same occurs here it could well be mid-dec before it opens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement