Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

That suzanne one is a witch! How does Damo stick her? I don't think any couple could stay together if they had a relationship like that. I think they HATE each other.
    P.S. Neasa has the X-Factor !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

wow suzanne is turned into quite a nasty cow!
    i thought damo was gonna cry after mark left. i really feel for him! it's gonna be interesting to see how the pair of them get on alone without mark around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Ah no i missed it....X Factor is taking over all ready! Thats a pain now you can't view it on RTE Player!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

eimearcmh wrote: »
    Ah no i missed it....X Factor is taking over all ready! Thats a pain now you can't view it on RTE Player!

Totally unacceptable excuse - you can switch back at 8.30 and you don't miss anything of the Xfactor. To fill you in - Dean was sooooo hot tonight he was on fire - you're going to lose him if you're not careful.:D

Loved the kids tonight - they were great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

deelite wrote: »
    Totally unacceptable excuse - you can switch back at 8.30 and you don't miss anything of the Xfactor. To fill you in - Dean was sooooo hot tonight he was on fire - you're going to lose him if you're not careful.:D

Loved the kids tonight - they were great.

Just checked the guide and its on tomorrow afternoon at 3 so ill tape that. Absolutely, i don't want to lose him ...shall look forward to spending some quality time with him tomorrow:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

max life wrote: »
    That suzanne one is a witch! How does Damo stick her? I don't think any couple could stay together if they had a relationship like that. I think they HATE each other.
    P.S. Neasa has the X-Factor !

You would be surprised... I reckon quite a lot stay together who actually hate each other. :(

Didn't watch tonights, am afraid I was watching X Factor... have recorded it though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Can't believe people are choosing X-Factor over Fair City!!! :eek:
    And you call yourself fans???? pffft... :rolleyes:

I didn't see it tonight either (although my excuse is I'm live on 98FM every Sunday, which I think is a fair enough reason to miss it) so I'll give my analysis once I watch the repeat tomorrow. I'm hoping its a good one - the other episodes this week were fantastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

eimearcmh wrote: »
    Has no one claimed Dean?

I see him getting shacked up with a Dillon before long! My guess is Neasa. It seems an obvious match.

Loved Tommys reaction to Neasa putting her foot in it at the dinner table! Great acting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Can't believe people are choosing X-Factor over Fair City!!! :eek:
    And you call yourself fans???? pffft... :rolleyes:

I didn't see it tonight either (although my excuse is I'm live on 98FM every Sunday, which I think is a fair enough reason to miss it) so I'll give my analysis once I watch the repeat tomorrow. I'm hoping its a good one - the other episodes this week were fantastic...

Didn't see it either. I checked my SKy Plus and it had obviously started early again. I hate missing the start of something.

How about RTE promise to put it on at the actual scheduled time, at least until it comes back to the RTE Player? After that they can go back to the magical mystery tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

I watch almost every episode and just find it a bit weak compared to other soaps.

have to agree - I give it a chance but so many of the storylines are stilted and the standard of acting is so up and down. Obviously many here don't agree but I do think Corrie, Emmerdale have a much higher standard of script, acting and production.

• Advertisement

Didn't see it either. I checked my SKy Plus and it had obviously started early again. I hate missing the start of something.

How about RTE promise to put it on at the actual scheduled time, at least until it comes back to the RTE Player? After that they can go back to the magical mystery tour.

Can you put 5 mins before and 5 mins after, that is what I do with my UPC recorder. Hopefully mine has recorded :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

optogirl wrote: »
    have to agree - I give it a chance but so many of the storylines are stilted and the standard of acting is so up and down. Obviously many here don't agree but I do think Corrie, Emmerdale have a much higher standard of script, acting and production.

I think that they are all pretty much the same. Emmerdale however has crazy storylines and is a rural soap set in an urban centre :rolleyes: bring back the farm. I often think soap is what you grow up with, I cann't watch Neighbours yet I can watch Home and Away, I can't watch EastEnders but can watch either Coronation St or Fair City. Emmers on the other hand is just on too many times a week and really has a 1970s style to it at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I think the soaps you mentioned above have a lot more money pumped into them than Fair City. Plus FC doesn't get plugged on Irish TV as much as the overseas ones do.

angel01 wrote: »
    Can you put 5 mins before and 5 mins after, that is what I do with my UPC recorder. Hopefully mine has recorded :)

Good idea. I think I can only add time after recording on my set-up, but I'll have a poke around.

Good idea. I think I can only add time after recording on my set-up, but I'll have a poke around.

I had to do this because Fair City constantly goes early on Wednesday nights, I tune in at 7.30pm and it has already started :eek:

I mentioned this via email to Fair City but it is out of their control.. really annoying though :(

This week:

0003c875-545.jpg

This week's preview - Episode 158

Tuesday 12th October

Dean worries Robert's method of spring cleaning Cleo out of his life is too extreme when he finds a photograph of Cleo in the bin.
    Sarah sees an opportunity to enhance her article for a national newspaper when Felix stops by with Alexander.
    Carol is determined to bring some glamour to McCoys and hires a new barmaid.
    Judith is on Neasa's case to get a job.
    A miffed Doug cancels his driving lessons with Keith.
    Doug instantly falls for Dearbhla but the object of his affection has eyes for someone else.
    Neasa starts volunteering at the Community Centre.
    Written by Clare Dowling.

0003c878-545.jpg

This week's preview - Episode 159

Wednesday 13th October

Louie comes around to the idea of the new barmaid when he sees her charming the customers.
      Robert surprises Dean with his ability to move on and shake up his strict routine.
      Neasa and Judith have a public spat in McCoys which results in Neasa moving out of the Dillon home.
      A love struck Doug asks Avi for help wooing Dearbhla.
      Robert's mother Bernadette surprises him and arrives in Carrigstown.
      Felix is furious over Sarah's article.
      Louie agrees to let Neasa stay with him temporarily.
      Written by Hilary Reynolds.

0003c876-545.jpg

This week's preview - Episode 160

Thursay 14th October

Dean is grows suspicious of Bernadette when he sees her dumping Robert's favourite photo of Cleo.
        Bernadette is determined Robert must leave Carrigstown and make a fresh start.
        Tommy recognises Bernadette but Bernadette claims she has never met him before.
        Judith is concerned for Robert's well being when a prescription is made out in her name that she never made.
        Robert struggles with knowing who to trust.
        Written by Hilary Reynolds.

0003c87b-545.jpg

This week's preview - Episode 161

Sunday 17th October

Doug accuses Avi of not helping him with Dearbhla.
          Dearbhla makes every effort to be alone with her crush.
          Neasa encourages Dearbhla to let Doug down gently.
          Neasa and Judith reconcile but the truce is short lived as they soon clash horns again.
          Sarah fails to realise the real reason why Keith doesn't want somebody to move into Felix's old room.
          Carol is irked to find Neasa back living with Louie.

Written by Clare Dowling.
          Directed by Liz Gill.
          Location Director Ian McGarry.

Neasa living with Louie :eek::mad::eek::mad:

I don't know much about Emmerdale, but I agree with some of what you're saying abour Corrie. The production standards are infinitely better. I don't think Fair City will ever have the budget that Corrie has, but even so it would be nice to see more imagination from the FC directors. Staging big set-pieces like car crashes is probably too much to ask for, but there is a terrible stiffness in the simple action scenes sometimes. Suzanne beating Damien with the pool cue weirdly robotic, and that's not because she can't act. It was just clumsily put together.

I think Fair City holds its own with the acting, certainly in most of the major parts. Small roles are a bit dodgy, and it can take some people an incredibly long time to settle in. But actors like Robert, Bob and Niamh wuold be an addition to any soap.

I'm not sure about the writing. I think the overall level is stronger on Fair City, but I know the characters a lot better, so maybe I'm not giving Corrie a proper chance.

Neasa living with Louie :eek::mad::eek::mad:

They're lucky they didn't tell you that during the tour! I could see you thrashing McCoys. :D

They're lucky they didn't tell you that during the tour! I could see you thrashing McCoys. :D

Indeed... I thought I made enough hints to the producer Brigie that I have my eye on Louie and Carol.. noone else :D

It could have got very nasty if I knew this beforehand...:eek:

One good thing about this storyline, we may see more Louie with no shirt on so there is always a silver lining ;)

I don't know much about Emmerdale, but I agree with some of what you're saying abour Corrie. The production standards are infinitely better. I don't think Fair City will ever have the budget that Corrie has, but even so it would be nice to see more imagination from the FC directors. Staging big set-pieces like car crashes is probably too much to ask for, but there is a terrible stiffness in the simple action scenes sometimes. Suzanne beating Damien with the pool cue weirdly robotic, and that's not because she can't act. It was just clumsily put together.

I think Fair City holds its own with the acting, certainly in most of the major parts. Small roles are a bit dodgy, and it can take some people an incredibly long time to settle in. But actors like Robert, Bob and Niamh wuold be an addition to any soap.

I'm not sure about the writing. I think the overall level is stronger on Fair City, but I know the characters a lot better, so maybe I'm not giving Corrie a proper chance.

Good points made there, I love the Damien/Suzanne storyline but there didn't seem to be enough pain caused in order for him to be walking around like Bela.. I think it seemed like she hardly touched him..

I think all in all Fair City does extremely well, there are actors that are on Corrie that are extremely poor but get away with it because they are in a big well respected soap, yet if they appeared in FC, they would be slated for it.

I think the writers are fantastic on FC, in general the production is fantastic. Going back to big storylines like Annette dying in the fire, I thought that was a brilliant storyline and shows FC can do it in the big storylines, just as much as the smaller ones.

• Advertisement
        • Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i like fair city because you can actually have a laugh at some things on the show.
          i spent a while watching eastenders and corrie back in 03/04 and i couldn't go back now. even the last two minutes of EE before FC is hell for me. i have to put telly on mute because someone is always shouting "what abaaat the baybay?"
          i find it terribly depressing....everything is always so violent.....someone is always crying.....and it's like they film with a green filter or something to make it look depressing or dark.
          i'm not disputing acting ability or anything because i believe those other soaps have some fantastic actors...but i think the writing style is a bit different on FC and more enjoyable (IMO!)
          i think FC has a healthy balance between nasty/violent and amusing/light hearted scenes.
          i really hope FC never goes down the EE style route......

btw, anybody wanna be on FC? :Dhttp://jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1063247

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

i really hope FC never goes doesn't the EE style route......

yeah EE is truly the pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Epicurus wrote: »
          Agreed, I didn't like Rory Goff after a while either. Cheating on Sarah with Carol and all that stuff with Deegan, Spot on.

I think he was going back further than that and referring to Detective Sgt. Byrne...who in fairness was a pretty awful actor!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Come back and watch Fair City give it a week to get into the storyline and then put a name on your dance card....
          Keith/Zumo are mine, (I share Keith with Ms. Moneypenny - sometimes)
          Louie/Tommy are Angels01
          Meeja has Felix
          Epicur has Dolores
          Alice has Deegan,
          Cpt. Neg has Nessa,

Ermm....can I have Yvonne??
          Oh wait, she's lesb...
          YEAH, I'll have Yvonne!!!! :D

i spent a while watching eastenders and corrie back in 03/04 and i couldn't go back now. even the last two minutes of EE before FC is hell for me. i have to put telly on mute because someone is always shouting "what abaaat the baybay?"

:D So true.

Where did Rory go off to anyway? I liked him.. liked him in Eastenders too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

I understand exactly where you're coming from - I turned off Corrie there for about 3 months - I thought it was hell to watch - I mean a dead body wrapped in a carpet that fitted into a wheelie bin.

I cant remember ever commenting on the "acting" in Fair City - I don't generally as a rule - as I'd hate any of the actors to get into my car and tell me I don't know my left from right....;)

And I'm going to be totally honest here I did switch off FC a few years back - (I wasn't enjoying it - but that could have been due to the fact that I had two babies - so I was running around like a headless chicken) it was when the racist storyline was going and somebody ended up in jail - and I can't remember what else it just bored me to tears.

And your comment about the Garda - I never liked him (the character) he was mean to Sarah and to Deegan.:D

Come back and watch Fair City give it a week to get into the storyline and then put a name on your dance card....
          Keith/Zumo are mine, (I share Keith with Ms. Moneypenny - sometimes)
          Louie/Tommy are Angels01
          Meeja has Felix
          Epicur has Dolores
          Alice has Deegan,
          Cpt. Neg has Nessa,

I'll take Avi - nom nom nom. :pac:

Plus FC doesn't get plugged on Irish TV as much as the overseas ones do.

Ever notice how on TV3 the never mention any of the soaps on RTÉ.

I thought the fire in the Solicitors office was a good big set piece on Fair City.

Elmo wrote: »
          Ever notice how on TV3 the never mention any of the soaps on RTÉ.

I thought the fire in the Solicitors office was a good big set piece on Fair City.

I brought that up with them before but they claim we can't show clips from Fair City, I said it doesn't stop you talking about it.. in one ear.. out the other :rolleyes::(

• Advertisement

I had to do this because Fair City constantly goes early on Wednesday nights, I tune in at 7.30pm and it has already started :eek:

I mentioned this via email to Fair City but it is out of their control.. really annoying though :(

They did this because Coronation Street moved to Thursday Nights. I think the schedulers were thinking that Soap Opera fans would miss that half hour of space before Fair City.

Wednesdays Home & Away, Emmerdale, Fair City.

This discussion has been closed.
        Advertisement