Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro-Israel BBC bias on Flotilla Massacre documentary.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

That's a point worth debating.

How is it that you've come to the conclusion that this description doesn't fit?

you actually only copied half the sentence of that definition of a pirate...
    the rest should reads...
    without commission from a sovereign nation

the whole definition is therefore
    One who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without commission from a sovereign nation

since they had the commision of a soverign nation, therefore they arent pirates..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Aha, linky?

Here's the definition again and it's source.
    a person who attacks and robs ships at sea

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0635100#m_en_gb0635100

Pretty sure what you mean to say was privateer.
    EmailCite
    Text size: A
    A
    privateer
    Line-break:OnOff
    Pronunciation:/ˌprʌɪvəˈtɪə/
    noun
    1 historical an armed ship owned and crewed by private individuals holding a government commission and authorized for use in war, especially in the capture of merchant shipping
    a commander or crew member of a privateer, often regarded as a pirate

I hold fast.

Aha, linky?

Here's the definition again and it's source.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0635100#m_en_gb0635100

here's my linky
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pirate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Pretty sure what you mean to say was privateer.

I hold fast.

From you own link

pirate (pir¦ate)
    Pronunciation:/ˈpʌɪrət/
    noun

Were the ships robbed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

meglome wrote: »
    Were the ships robbed?

Yes they took thousands of EUR of equipment and never returned it.
    One guy had his phone taken and when he got back home, he had a massive bill for international calls made from Israel.

robtri wrote: »

An American dictionary? Any chance of an English definition. No wait, I've already posted it!

From you own link

pirate (pir¦ate)
    noun

Were the ships robbed?

Yes, robbed of it's crew, the people aboard and some of their goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

From you own link

pirate (pir¦ate)
    noun

Were the ships robbed?

Yea the ships were attacked, crew kidnapped, taken off their ship, ship seized. The ship was later returned, but doesn't change the fact, so yea it was piracy.

pi·ra·cy

noun \ˈpī-rə-sē\
    plural pi·ra·cies
    Definition of PIRACY

: an act of robbery on the high seas; also : an act resembling such robbery

: robbery on the high seas

a : the unauthorized use of another's production, invention, or conception especially in infringement of a copyright b : the illicit accessing of broadcast signals

Examples of PIRACY
    1. piracy on the high seas
    2. <many countries have harsh penalties for piracy now>
    Origin of PIRACY

Medieval Latin piratia, from Late Greek peirateia, from Greek peiratēs pirate First Known Use: 1537

Related to PIRACY

Synonyms: pirating

uprising2 wrote: »
    Yea the ships were attacked, crew kidnapped, taken off their ship, ship seized. The ship was later returned,

AFAIK not all of the ships have been returned.
    They have huge port fees to pay from Ashdod port, before they will be released.
    After kidnapping the crew, and bringing them to Ashdod against their will, where they were dragged off the ship, they were then charged with illegally entering Israel !
    The hipocrisy.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    I'd suggest you try to ramp up those reading comprehension skills:
    During the operation to secure control of the top deck, the Israeli forces landed soldiers from three helicopters over a fifteen-minute period.71 The Israeli forces used paintballs, plastic bullets and live ammunition, fired by soldiers from the helicopter above and soldiers who had landed on the top deck. The use of live ammunition during this period resulted in fatal injuries to four passengers,

I think its you who need to learn basic comprehension skills, where's the timeline of events?, its a 15 minute period taken as a single moment/event
    It says exactly what it appears to say. No fatal injuries / mortalities until boarding began.

No it doesn't!

Where does it say "No fatal injuries / mortalities until boarding began"
    It says over a 15 minute period IDF live ammunition was fired from helicopters and the deck, resulting in deaths.
    "During this peiod" means the whole 15 minutes from 00:00:00 to 00:15:00.

An American dictionary? Any chance of an English definition. No wait, I've already posted it!

lol......

worst come back ever.... lol

so according to your definition a pirate is someone who robs (takes things of people) at sea....
    feck me when the irish navy takes spanish ships and their stuff .. they are pirates........ cause that is exactly what your ENGLISH dictionary says...

Oh and what makes a UK dictionary correct?????

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

lol......

so according to your definition a pirate is someone who robs (takes things of people) at sea....
    feck me when the irish navy takes spanish ships and their stuff .. they are pirates........ cause that is exactly what your ENGLISH dictionary says...

Uprising gave you a perfectly good definition above.
    You could always take your problems with Phill Ewinn to PM.

nullzero wrote: »
    Uprising gave you a perfectly good definition above.
    You could always take your problems with Phill Ewinn to PM.

and his definition is not encompasing enough either to properly explain piracy...

so could you enjoy your pm chat with Phil...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

thanks, that is an advance unedited copy, not finished and possibly not correct and missing parts , is there a final copy??????

I suspect that you and CokaColumbo are working in tandem here, hasbara and all that, i.e. israeli propagandists.

However, here is a link to the report as presented to the General Assembly on Sept 27th.

http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/docs/15session/A.HRC.15.21_en.pdf

I think you will find that there is no obvious difference between it and the copy you have attempted to trash.

Yes it did.

And it's worth pointing out that the UN Humanitarian report only got one side of the story. Regardless of your opinions regarding the boarding of the flotilla (and I'm of the opinion it was both illegal and ill-advised), there's generally little benefit in reporting just one side's position in a dispute. Israel didn't co-operate with the inquiry/report, so it's undermined from the start.

The BBC piece seems pretty even handed and accurate.

It's not at all undermined by the Israelis not taking part - quite the opposite. When someone is given the opportunity to be involved and refuses for no obvious reason, they may more likely be undermining themselves.

If the Israelis don't want to reply to questions about their actions, so be it. The report has looked into the situation, and found answers. For instance, it found that people were killed at point-blank range, that has been established as a fact. I will draw my own conclusions as to why Israel didn't want to discuss the matter, and any open-minded person will come to a similar conclusion to me - they don't want to discuss the matter because they are guilty.
    Like they are guilty of murdering people with white phosphorous, like they bombed a UN "protected" camp in s. Lebanon, like they oversaw the murders in Sabra and Chatila.

And "Apartheid" is such an inapplicable word to describe the situation in the middle east. How stupid do you have to be to make a statement like the one above?

Apartheid is a totally appropriate word for what the zionists do to the palestinians. They are not able to move around their own country freely, for fúck sake!
    Palestinians .... who reside in Israel enjoy more rights and liberty than they do in their own countries.
    Dear oh dear! How stupid do you have to be to make a statement like the one above? And I thought that Palestinians who live in "israel" were already in their own country.

And "Apartheid" is such an inapplicable word to describe the situation in the middle east. It is grossly offensive to those who do in fact suffer the ills of apartheid. Palestinians, and Muslims in general, who reside in Israel enjoy more rights and liberty than they do in their own countries. Look up the definition of apartheid and see how it conflicts with this fact.

Suppose you never heard of this or this. Your delusional and suffering a bad dose of denial.

51%2B7ds8xEXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

19838585.L9422.jpg

deirdremf wrote: »
    I suspect that you and CokaColumbo are working in tandem here, hasbara and all that, i.e. israeli propagandists.
    I wouldn't be surprised. They have a very active propaganda community.
    Looking at some of the ridiculous insinuations, such as Palestinians enjoying liberty, makes me wonder what world these guys are living on.
    Seems like a Zionist world.

harryd2 wrote: »
    Looking at some of the ridiculous insinuations, such as Palestinians enjoying liberty, makes me wonder what world these guys are living on.

I sometimes wonder what drives some of the posters here, what's the pay like, can you work from home, do they pay by the hour or post.

Sometimes I wonder do they really mean what they write/say or just do it for a "buzz".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

and his definition is not encompasing enough either to properly explain piracy...

so could you enjoy your pm chat with Phil...

I'm sure you have the means to find out what piracy is my friend.

As for your last comment, why would iw ant to PM Phil? I'm not the one who has something to say to him that the rest of the forum couldn't care less about.
    Could you be missing the point in fine style?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I think the point is most Muslim states can be very repressive to their own people.
    I sometimes wonder what drives some of the posters here, what's the pay like, can you work from home, do they pay by the hour or post.

Sometimes I wonder do they really mean what they write/say or just do it for a "buzz".

Sure the only possible reason people disagree with you is they are paid, no possible other reason. Or perhaps even though people don't agree with Israel's actions they also don't agree with your hyperbole and exaggeration.

Well Robtri is posting here for years but you just came on, seems more likely that you are being paid to do it.
    Suppose you never heard of this or this. Your delusional and suffering a bad dose of denial.

51%2B7ds8xEXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

19838585.L9422.jpg

An Irish company owns at least one third of the company that built that wall. We can all be proud.

I think the point is most Muslim states can be very repressive to their own people.

Sure the only possible reason people disagree with you is they are paid, no possible other reason. Or perhaps even though people don't agree with Israel's actions they also don't agree with your hyperbole and exaggeration.

An Irish company owns at least one third of the company that built that wall. We can all be proud.

Yea exactly roadstone or whoever owns roadstone builds or helps build the wall, makes me feel less guilty about ripping the kunts off for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It's not at all undermined by the Israelis not taking part - quite the opposite.

Rubbish. The best determination comes from the fullest amount of information. They're missing an entire perspective and associated evidence from this inquiry. It's compromised by those basic facts.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

and attacking a solider with bars is also an attack.....

Yes it is, but your aren't being true to the facts.

The IDF (after they had attacked from the Zodiacs) were shooting live ammunition onto the top deck, even alastair can accept this. This was before any soliders were attacked. Now, if we look at the legal definition of "self-defense" we can see that the passengers did absolutely NOTHING WRONG and acted FULLY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAW. In fact, they would have been when within their rights to actually kill all the soliders who threatened their lives. They didn't though, they could've; they had commandos disarmed and at their mercy. Instead they administered first-aid to the soliders who had been sent to kill them. So not only did they adhere to the rule of law they behaved morally impeccably.
    self-defense - http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=1909
    n. the use of reasonable force to protect oneself or members of the family from bodily harm from the attack of an aggressor, if the defender has reason to believe he/she/they is/are in danger. Self-defense is a common defense by a person accused of assault, battery or homicide. The force used in self-defense may be sufficient for protection from apparent harm (not just an empty verbal threat) or to halt any danger from attack, but cannot be an excuse to continue the attack or use excessive force. Examples: an unarmed man punches Allen Alibi, who hits the attacker with a baseball bat. That is legitimate self-defense, but Alibi cannot chase after the attacker and shoot him or beat him senseless. If the attacker has a gun or a butcher knife and is verbally threatening, Alibi is probably warranted in shooting him. Basically, appropriate self-defense is judged on all the circumstances. Reasonable force can also be used to protect property from theft or destruction. Self-defense cannot include killing or great bodily harm to defend property, unless personal danger is also involved, as is the case in most burglaries, muggings or vandalism.

Now compare that to "self-defense" Israeli style. Their version of self-defense is a bullet for a stone. It was only this week (or last?) that a settler security guard, who are financed by the government had a stone thrown at his car by a Palestinian in illegally occupied Palestinian territory. The settler chased the man, a father-of-five and shot him dead in cold-blood, in "self-defense".

And it doesn't end there. The murderer was released on bail within 48 hours and THEN the members of the grieving family were arrested by the IDF in the dead of night carrying out beatings on the family.
    http://silwanic.net/?p=6798

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

No it doesn't!

Where does it say "No fatal injuries / mortalities until boarding began"
    It says over a 15 minute period IDF live ammunition was fired from helicopters and the deck, resulting in deaths.
    "During this peiod" means the whole 15 minutes from 00:00:00 to 00:15:00.

Oh yes it does. The 15 minute period was the time taken for the three waves of rope landings - from beginning to end. It's 00.00.00 start is representative of 'until boarding began'. They say the fatal shootings occurred during this period - not before. It's not exactly difficult to follow, is it?

Yes they took thousands of EUR of equipment and never returned it.
    One guy had his phone taken and when he got back home, he had a massive bill for international calls made from Israel.

It was actually millions of euros of equipment they took from the passengers.

The ship was looted. And IDF officer sold laptops to other soliders.

Passengers had their credit cards used to buy beer in Israel FFS.
    “It looks as though they tried to use it without the PIN code and could not, but they could use it in a vending machine and had multiple accesses to my card to buy beer, according to the statement,” Sheetz said.

“What it means is that I witnessed the Israeli Navy going and killing people and at the end buying beer with my card,” she added.

Italian journalist Manolo Luppichini discovered that while he was confined in Be’er Sheva and after he was back in Italy a day after his deportation – purchases were made with his credit card, which the Israeli authorities had confiscated.

One purchase was from a vending machine in Tel Aviv for about NIS 10 on June 2, he says. Another purchase, for NIS 240, was made in Gedera’s Village Market, while Luppichini himself was in Italy.

http://flotillamassacrepassengers.wordpress.com/category/usa/kathy-sheetz/

All courtesy of our IDF friends in the most moral army in the world.

Oh yes it does. The 15 minute period was the time taken for the three waves of rope landings - from beginning to end. It's 00.00.00 start is representative of 'until boarding began'. They say the fatal shootings occurred during this period - not before. It's not exactly difficult to follow, is it?

For arguments sake lets pretend that you aren't in denial for sec.

Let's pretend that the report says what you claim it does.

WHAT DOES IT CHANGE??

LIVE FIRE THAT CAUSED FATAL INJURIES vs LIVE FIRE THAT DIDN*T CAUSE FATAL INJURIES.

HOW DOES THAT EFFECT THE VALID CLAIM OF SELF DEFENSE HELD BY THE PASSENGERS?

TELL ME...

lol......

lol lol lol lol - what kind of argument is that. Cool your heels partner, I'm not the one defending murders and pirates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭IceMaiden

Enough legalities to get lost in from more than a single view.:eek:

San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea
    Full text. Prepared by International Lawyers and Naval Experts. Convened by the International Institute of Humanitarian Law. Adopted in June 1994.
    http://www.icrc.org/web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/html/57JMSU#6

International Humanitarian Law - Treaties & Documents
    http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/FULL/265?OpenDocument

Law of Armed Conflict the human rights library
    http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/instree/auoy.htm

The Legal Basis of Israel's Naval Blockade of Gaza
    http://www.jcpa.org/JCPA/Templates/ShowPage.asp?DRIT=1&DBID=1&LNGID=1&TMID=111&FID=442&PID=0&IID=4402&TTL=The_Legal_Basis_of_Israel%E2%80%99s_Naval_Blockade_of_Gaza

Wiki Law refs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_war
    :confused: its drifting off target

Advertisement