Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Caledonman wrote: »
    I dont hate tubbridy... he is just on the wrong station... put him back on rte 1...

Fek off.. It's now possible for me to listen to Radio one ALL morning since he left...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

Reading this thread very surprised, I thought Tubs was very popular, obviously not. I like him on the late late but since he started on the radio I've only heard him very briefly a few times. I thought he was doin pretty ok since he has such a hard act to follow.
    God you would miss the sound of GR in the morn, I remember driving into work so many times with tears rolling down my face with laughter at his shannanigans. Doubt Tubs could have that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Its such a pity that 2fm don't look at recruiting some new talent...there is a lot out there.. having said that, a friend of mine met a 'senior' female in 2fm and she was speaking about 'cutting edge' radio they are doing, and that this person needed far more experience than they had to get a presenting job.... Cloud cookoo land in 2fm I think..
    The problem is they have no fresh faces and no new ideas..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

What bugs me is that RTE see fit to put Tubridy on 2 shows that have a totally different demographic. On the one hand he is the answer on the LLS which is a middle aged programme and at the same time they present him on the 2 FM morning programme which is probably identified for 20s - late 30s primarily.
    Also the constant referring to tweeting as mentioned before. I have listened VERY little to him and can only comment on a small amount of the programme..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Rubik. wrote: »
    There is no accounting for other peoples taste, but I think Tubridy could well be heading for a JNLR disaster.

I think you might be right. Does anyone know when the next one will come out?

I can't stand the man. Some people like him on the Late Late which I don't understand so I figured it'd be the same with his radio show - I'd think he was brutal and loads of others would think he's great - but this thread seems to indicate otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

He starts off this morning with a little plug for the afternoon shows, maybe someone mentioned to him he was an obnoxious git towards Dathi and Claire yesterday.

Then he goes on to lambast the Dublin city mayor over his suggestion that the Gardai clamp down on beggars, gives him a real hard time, then all becomes clear as the mayor reveals he is FG.
    One of the questions “do you feel sorry for Brian Cowen?”

His blatant bias is disgusting. It’s a disgrace that the state funded broadcaster lets him away with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

To be fair here, Gerry came in to rte before most of the others c 1979. My recollection is that he may have even started on radio 1 - seem to recall a summer show. In any event, it was a long time before they put him mid morning and he eventually grew into it. He suceeded J Greely if I recall.

There tends to be a natural audience of 150k ish out there who'll always stick with 2fm. Tubbers figs may not be spectacular when they come out but rte will wait to see 12 month figs. He will not be moving though I suspect is early morning colleague will be long gone after 12 months

Are you referring to his new colleague 'Hector' that won't last??
    Hector is an acquired taste... for a breakfast show, I'm not sure he will work. Personally, I quite like him, but not first thing in the morning. Also, I couldn't take him seriously reviewing newspapers, and all the financials and politics...
    Also son't like the way he exaggerates his accent, as does Paddy on the morning show at present. Hector will alienate the Dublin audience which must be at least 30% of listeners...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I think you might be right. Does anyone know when the next one will come out?

The last lot came out on the 29th of July, so around 3 months from then.

• Advertisement

Rubik. wrote: »
    The last lot came out on the 29th of July, so around 3 months from then.

Cant wait to see how 2fm are doing.. I bet Today FM will be well up...

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Lets not lose sight of the fact that G Ryan's JNLR rating was falling rapidly in the weeks and months leading up to his death.

My feeling on Tubridy is he's a good mimic but he's a phoney and that's all he is. Ever see the Woody Allen move "Zelig"? That's what Tubridy is, he's a radio and TV Zelig and that just about sums him up for me. He mimics everyone from "I love reading books me", camp acting old theatrics style of Gay Byrne to the hand gestures and bombastic yellings of David Letterman, a bit insecure and a bit neurotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Caledonman wrote: »
    Are you referring to his new colleague 'Hector' that won't last??
    Hector is an acquired taste... for a breakfast show, I'm not sure he will work. Personally, I quite like him, but not first thing in the morning. Also, I couldn't take him seriously reviewing newspapers, and all the financials and politics...
    Also son't like the way he exaggerates his accent, as does Paddy on the morning show at present. Hector will alienate the Dublin audience which must be at least 30% of listeners...

Caledonian, I think you've accidentally come to the same conclusion as the bods in D4. About 75% of 2fms audience may be in the sticks but don't think they like Hector any more than the rest of the population !

Btr wrote: »
    Caledonian, I think you've accidentally come to the same conclusion as the bods in D4. About 75% of 2fms audience may be in the sticks but don't think they like Hector any more than the rest of the population !

To true... I am a culchie living in Dublin... I just think that country people are more forgiving and patient than the Dubs, and in a lot of Dublin, we have so much more choice for radio, including Nova, Phantom, and so on.
    I want to be fair to Hector.. he deserves a fair go at it before people start knocking him down... 2fm went after him so it's not his fault... Hector (IMO) will get bored with the breakfast show as it will limit his other work, and I don't think he is the type to be pinned down (No idea what i am basing that on). Finally, freedom, he will be monitored a lot more on breakfast than he is with Tommy T, and won't get away with talking crap on breakfast...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The deadness in the studio this morning was unbelievable.
    The whole show sounded like it was broadcast from a crypt.
    Even the three legged dog story failed to lift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

mikom wrote: »
    The deadness in the studio this morning was unbelievable.
    The whole show sounded like it was broadcast from a crypt.
    Even the three legged dog story failed to lift it.
    Didn't Ian Dempsey say that Tubridy would be found out on 2fm!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

yes, the emporer has no clothes.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Ryan should just concentrate on his commitments to the Late Late, his stupid fcukin Kennedy book and his twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He is getting so desperate for guests he dragged some poor scouse RTE canteen worker on air to talk about Tubirdy's new adopted "soccer" team Liverpool

cringe inducing radio

IMO Hayes is wiping the floor with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Tweet, facebook, twitter, books, haw haw, tweet, tubs.tweet@rte, haw haw, more books.
    And the straw that broke thet camels back for me, is when he refers to his twitter followers as "the twitterati".

I wont be listening anymore. Even the parachute man is more bareable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

I hate to be rude, but what the hell is all this love for Gerry? According to the Ryan mega thread, he was a perverted sex freak. Feel guilty and lost the courage of your convictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

MJ23 wrote: »
    I wont be listening anymore. Even the parachute man is more bareable.

:pac: that made me laugh out loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

he got dumped this weekend and staying quite about it
    image his bed room tactics
    hey love lets twitter each other
    oh yeah baby can we read a book after that
    just let me get my slippers they are kinky :D

jimmynokia wrote: »
    he got dumped this weekend and staying quite about it

how do you know this?

oh it's true alright.
    Former Rose Becomes Ryan Tubridy's Former Partner
    Former Rose of Tralee Aiobhinn Ní Shuilleabhain and Late Late host Ryan Tubridy have split up after 18 months together, according to reports.

Aiobhinn ended the relationship, reportedly because the two of them had drifted apart. A friend of the couple told the News of the World, "It was Aoibhinn's decision to break things off, she decided it was best that they went their seperate ways."Ryan's pretty cut up and hurt about it."

"It's an upsetting time for both of them so they're not ready to discuss it yet," a source tld the Evening Herald. "They're both very private people and have always been very protective of their relationship so it's unlikely they will comment on it at all."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

its in the news since friday bud

jimmynokia wrote: »
    its in the news since friday bud

I didnt hear it in his review of the papers.. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Tubridys show is very much a carbon copy of his rte 1 show. Lazy review of the papers and absolutely nothing new.
    Maybe the chap is struggling with personal issues but I thought the reasoning for his return to 2fm was to allow him be edgy.
    He doesn't have Gerry Ryans appeal to Joe soap and seems awkward in such conversations.
    Its early days but the listnership figures will test Tubridys 'midas' touch.
    As for John Murray I really liked his Business show but his new format has yet to inspire. To be fair its early days but nothing to get excited about as of yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Listened for the first time this week, and every day so far since. I think it's very good. Always liked him, and i <3 him now. quite entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Book, tweet, J.F.K, Mad Men, united states.

*Puts revolver in mouth*
    *Pulls trigger*
    *Slumps back on to chair*

*Curses inability to get a clean kill first time*

*Arm function gone*

"Arrrghh...... gurgle, gurgle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Book, tweet, J.F.K, Mad Men, BILL CLINTON, united states.
    Book, tweet, J.F.K, Mad Men,BILL CLINTON united states.

*Puts revolver in mouth*
    *Pulls trigger*
    *Slumps back on to chair*

Book, tweet, J.F.K, Mad Men, BILL CLINTONunited states.

*Curses inability to get a clean kill first time*

*Arm function gone*

"Arrrghh...... gurgle, gurgle.

Book, tweet, J.F.K, BILL CLINTONMad Men, united states.
    Book, tweet, J.F.K, BILL CLINTONMad Men, united states.

fixed that for you......:pac:

Advertisement