Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N3-M50 interchange

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Davy wrote: »
    Im sure the overturned truck at J3 a few months ago had a part to play in setting this low limit.

They should have signs on the ground saying "no heart attacks" to prevent this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

Davy wrote: »
    Is that not just for vehicles going onto the m50 SB, rather than going to the city centre

No - as stated in my earlier post, it's on all lanes. Though it's just possible they don't all read the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mackerski wrote: »
    No - as stated in my earlier post, it's on all lanes. Though it's just possible they don't all read the same.

I thought it was 30 on the N3 inbound as well, although I was in such a shock at how ridiculous this is, my mind might have been playing tricks on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

MODS: We seem to be having the same conversation in two threads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

"30" marked on N3 Inbound for both city-bound traffic and M50-southbound traffic from what I can see. About 100-200m after the 50km/h signs. "30" also marked on the M50 Northbound-N3 Outbound slip.

Daft limit, whether it's 30km/h or 50km/h. 80 to 50 and back to 100 once you hit the M50, on what is a relatively gentle freeflow curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Is the new off ramp at N3 junction coming from M50 south to north going to open tomorrow?
    They keep changing which lane is opened or closed on this slip without warning, and I don't see any notices up telling us. It would be handy to know when they are opening up the 2 lanes / 4 lanes now. I thought it was to be down to 1 lane until today?
    Can't see anywhere on their site that shows updates either. I mean an update the day before, I don't have time to log on before I go to work.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I see these "30" more as an advisory speed limit as they do not seem to be supported by any of the required speed limit signs.
    To be honest they could serve a purpose for drivers unfamiliar with all these bends and trafic lights straight after them on some points. Better to take it slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

bigar wrote: »
    I see these "30" more as an advisory speed limit as they do not seem to be supported by any of the required speed limit signs.
    To be honest they could serve a purpose for drivers unfamiliar with all these bends and trafic lights straight after them on some points. Better to take it slow.

I agree. I've been using the N3IB->M50SB freeflow and I've had several near misses with people changing lanes at the VERY last minute;stopping in lanes when confused and flying through the Yield sign from N3OB->M50SB.

IMO there will be a major accident at this interchange very soon:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

brandodub wrote: »
    IMO there will be a major accident at this interchange very soon:mad:

Not a major one, but yesterday I already had a car hitting me from behind when I was standing at the red traffic light at the Dunsink Lane junction. Fortunately only some small scratches on my strong beemer. The other car was in worse shape :D

So the 30 km speed limit to me sounds really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

Not a major one, but yesterday I already had a car hitting me from behind when I was standing at the red traffic light at the Dunsink Lane junction. Fortunately only some small scratches on my strong beemer. The other car was in worse shape :D

So the 30 km speed limit to me sounds really good.

Yeah - with a limit of 30 the car behind will shunt you before you even get to the lights. As you'll be in motion, the difference in your speeds will be lower, meaning a less dangerous impact.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They cant do that, advisable speeds can only be used in denominations of 5. So it would be 35kph. They also cant be used with a white background and a red circle, this is for legal limits. Advisable limits must be used with a plain white, on a rectangular sign.

Answering my own question about Blanch Village -> M50 South: I've found the best way is to use the old roundabout, heading towards the city, then immediately go left towards Dunsink, immediately right at the lights to Auburn junction, turn right at the lights there and onto the N3 Outbound -> M50 South freeflow ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Breezer wrote: »
    Answering my own question about Blanch Village -> M50 South: I've found the best way is to use the old roundabout, heading towards the city, then immediately go left towards Dunsink, immediately right at the lights to Auburn junction, turn right at the lights there and onto the N3 Outbound -> M50 South freeflow ramp.
    I plan to use Blanchardstown Road South -> N3 East -> M50 South.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I plan to use Blanchardstown Road South -> N3 East -> M50 South.
    Bit of a trek if you're coming from the village itself though.

Breezer wrote: »
    Bit of a trek if you're coming from the village itself though.
    Going to Dunsink Lane is a bit of a trek in the other direction.

From the village maybe you could go down to the hospital and get onto N3 East and then M50S (until that option is removed).
    The alternative is to go up Main Street, past Garda station, toward Blanch Centre (Westpoint gym side) and then turn right over N3 and then onto N3 East.

I saw the queue of cars trying to turn right onto Dunsink Lane (in order to go across to Auburn Ave) so I wonder if your idea may be slow because of this. I am sure it depends on the time of the day. It could be quicker to go to the overpass at Phoenix Park station if the Dunsink Lane part is busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

From the village maybe you could go down to the hospital and get onto N3 East and then M50S (until that option is removed).
    The alternative is to go up Main Street, past Garda station, toward Blanch Centre (Westpoint gym side) and then turn right over N3 and then onto N3 East.
    What's wrong with the first bridge? I did this a couple of days last week. (I was coming from Coolmine Rd.)
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4014911

jlang wrote: »
    What's wrong with the first bridge? I did this a couple of days last week. (I was coming from Coolmine Rd.)
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4014911
    You are right. I suggested the other bridge because the Snugborough Road traffic lights are so slow - but if you go through the junction (as I suggested) you might as well turn right and use the route you mention. My mistake.

I was on the ped bridge last week and I noticed an unused pillar in the middle of the M50. I wonder if it was for the planned ped bridge.

I also saw the 30km/h limit sign for M50N->N3W. If the curve was such that warranted a low limit, I wonder why they didn't bank the curve to compensate?

I was on the ped bridge last week and I noticed an unused pillar in the middle of the M50. I wonder if it was for the planned ped bridge.

I also saw the 30km/h limit sign for M50N->N3W. If the curve was such that warranted a low limit, I wonder why they didn't bank the curve to compensate?

I was always under the impression that that was for a pipeline of some sort!

I was always under the impression that that was for a pipeline of some sort!
    If you look at the original drawing for the junction, you will see that the new ped bridge was supposed to be at the location of that pillar.

• Advertisement

If you look at the original drawing for the junction, you will see that the new ped bridge was supposed to be at the location of that pillar.

OK, I forgot about that original plan. :o

Now it's a new stand for some artistic sculpture. A dead Tiger perhaps :D

I can see why people miss the little slip to Cavan/Navan and end up going to the lights on the M50. Tonight was the 1st time I took the M50SB to this junction since it opened and it really isn't that well signposted.

I knew about it so was prepared to take the left lane but because of the bend you don't see the sign for the little slip until you're practically on it. If you were new to the junction you could be past it before you realised it and end up stuck at the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chinchin

Welcome to Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Used this for the first time today going M50 Southbound > N3 Outbound. It is a badly signposted in that it is only as the road divides that you get the actual signpost to say that the N3 outbound traffic needs to be in the left lane (as opposed to where you might expect it to be give that you are eventually turning right).

As I was driving up there was a car which veered into the lane right at the very last minute. Thankfully he was a good bit ahead of me but I'd say he gave the guy whom he cut in on a bit of a shock. Its a pity that they haven't given better advance warning for the junction. It wouldn't have been too hard to do so.

As for the 30kmh limit I think that's a bit extreme. I was in a stream of traffic doing around 50-60kmh and we had no real problem with the bend. I wish they had put a 50kmh limit here as people are more likely to respect reasonable speed limits. If anybody did slow down to 30kmh here they'd probably end up with a couple of irritated drivers behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Jayuu wrote: »
    Used this for the first time today going M50 Southbound > N3 Outbound. It is a badly signposted in that it is only as the road divides that you get the actual signpost to say that the N3 outbound traffic needs to be in the left lane (as opposed to where you might expect it to be give that you are eventually turning right).

As I was driving up there was a car which veered into the lane right at the very last minute. Thankfully he was a good bit ahead of me but I'd say he gave the guy whom he cut in on a bit of a shock. Its a pity that they haven't given better advance warning for the junction. It wouldn't have been too hard to do so.

As for the 30kmh limit I think that's a bit extreme. I was in a stream of traffic doing around 50-60kmh and we had no real problem with the bend. I wish they had put a 50kmh limit here as people are more likely to respect reasonable speed limits. If anybody did slow down to 30kmh here they'd probably end up with a couple of irritated drivers behind them.

I have found the signposting to be more by experience.

On the M50 North off ramp you have a split which are both posted N3 one with Castleknock and the other for Blanchardstown. Bit confusing as Castleknock is not strictly on the N3 plus CAstleknock is accesible from Blanchardstown. Would be better if was posted for the city.

On the N3 north approach to the M50 junction the sign for the south bound lane is badly sited and causes confusion. I saw an ambulance have to do a last minute cut accross the chevrons otherwise would have missed it.

Then there's the mismatch between lane markings and overhead signage on the N3 when heading citybound towards the junction. It requires you to swerve into the correct lane. There should be better road markings to prevent this. There is similar problems south of the junction with poor markings for the lane merges.

Plus, why do they have "Connolly Hospital" followed by a H symbol when they could just have Connolly followed by a H symbol. Leads to very cluttered signage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BrianD wrote: »
    On the M50 North off ramp you have a split which are both posted N3 one with Castleknock and the other for Blanchardstown. Bit confusing as Castleknock is not strictly on the N3 plus CAstleknock is accesible from Blanchardstown. Would be better if was posted for the city.....

I don't that would make sense. Its usual to give the direction regardless that the destination isn't actually on the road displayed.

Perhaps...

N3 (west) - Blanchardstown
    N3 (east) - Castleknock
    N3 (east) - City Centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Jayuu wrote: »
    As for the 30kmh limit I think that's a bit extreme. I was in a stream of traffic doing around 50-60kmh and we had no real problem with the bend. I wish they had put a 50kmh limit here as people are more likely to respect reasonable speed limits. If anybody did slow down to 30kmh here they'd probably end up with a couple of irritated drivers behind them

+ 1. Sure you could run faster than 30kph :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Gonzo wrote: »
    indeed, Irish road signage is possibly the worst in western Europe as its littered with mistakes, inconsistencys and is generally hard to read and often lacking in information.

:D

• Advertisement

The unfortunate thing is that he was probably following the signs and was in what he thought was the correct lane only to find out at the last minute that the signs are wrong and he had to do his last minute panic manoever. (it doesn't excuse his tantrum though)

This happens to me inbound on the N3 most mornings. People heading into town following the signs will be in the middle lane until they find out about 50m before the end of the lane that the middle lane actually takes you over onto the M50SB.

Advertisement