Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options
  • 01-09-2010 3:39pm
    Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

He's had his ups and downs to be fair but I have to say at this stage it has to be said he's doing a fantastic job with the business end of the club. What's everyone elses thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Overall I'd agree, though up until I got home from work last night I was very disappointed with our lack of business in this particular transfer market. I think he got lucky with VDV as he more or less fell into our laps with the deal between Bayern and Real falling through, so we get a happy ending, but it was very close!

Still, we're in good shape, and in good hands as far as I'm concerned.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

SuprSi wrote: »
    Overall I'd agree, though up until I got home from work last night I was very disappointed with our lack of business in this particular transfer market. I think he got lucky with VDV as he more or less fell into our laps with the deal between Bayern and Real falling through, so we get a happy ending, but it was very close!

Still, we're in good shape, and in good hands as far as I'm concerned.

Real are adamant that there was no deal on the table from Bayern. Fantastic deal either way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

It's funny, had the Van der Vaart deal not popped up people would have slated the man (myself included) for not providing support to Redknapp ahead of a crucial season.

There's no doubting the man does fantastic work as a business man, but I think both him and Harry were on a collision course prior to the VDV deal coming up, as Redknapp will never think like Levy (buy low, sell high) and Levy will never think like Harry (fúck fiscal discipline, give 'em what they're asking for and sure if I fall out with them they can fúck off to Celtic...;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

It's funny, had the Van der Vaart deal not popped up people would have slated the man (myself included) for not providing support to Redknapp ahead of a crucial season.

There's no doubting the man does fantastic work as a business man, but I think both him and Harry were on a collision course prior to the VDV deal coming up, as Redknapp will never think like Levy (buy low, sell high) and Levy will never think like Harry (fúck fiscal discipline, give 'em what they're asking for and sure if I fall out with them they can fúck off to Celtic...;))

i think that has summed it all up for me

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

We all agree on this one, I'd say. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

harry was looking very very stressed the last week but was a much different man yesterday evening

to take advantage of vdv we have to start playing 4-5-1 though, will this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Levy is a good business man and a great man for the shareholders. He;s also a gambler and yesterday that came off with VDV. Well done to him on that but being a gambler means that these antics on transfer deadline day will often see us ending up with the next Rasiek or Fraser Campbell.

For me Levy is a good but not a great chairman!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ah here, leave my fcuking mate Rob out of it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I don't think anyone could question his skills as a businessman. What worried me previously was whether he was a football man with the club at heart.

I think he's learn't a lot since the debacle with BMJ and then the subsequent Commoli situation at summer transfer window 2008.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone could question his skills as a businessman. What worried me previously was whether he was a football man with the club at heart.

I think he's learn't a lot since the debacle with BMJ and then the subsequent Commoli situation at summer transfer window 2008.

yes, the club could have gone under that time if harry hadnt come in when he did. if ramos was kept on for another few months it could have been too late to avoid relegation

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »
    yes, the club could have gone under that time if harry hadnt come in when he did. if ramos was kept on for another few months it could have been too late to avoid relegation

definetly could have been releagated but doubt very much that the club would have gone under!

yiddo59 wrote: »
    definetly could have been releagated but doubt very much that the club would have gone under!

yes , didnt mean we would go bust totally but its a nasty cycle when you get relegated. you have to sell your best players, gate receipts reduce, you cant pay proper wages etc etc and its a downward spiral thats very hard to get out of

yes , didnt mean we would go bust totally but its a nasty cycle when you get relegated. you have to sell your best players, gate receipts reduce, you cant pay proper wages etc etc and its a downward spiral thats very hard to get out of

just checking ;)

We would never have been relegated anyway, too many good players ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I dunno,

Remember Boro when they went down?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

I think his comment was very much tongue in cheek :)

Levy is doing a grand job at the moment and he's developed a steady ship. We are one of the few PL clubs that actually turns in a profit.

For me the big work for Levy starts when the development of the new stadium begins. Stadiums cost big money and could in the short term mean less money for the buying of players and even a return to the selling principles.

Of course if we were to keep qualifying each year for the Champions League then my concern would be unfounded, however I feel it is a big ask to qualify every year.

Still, in the meantime he's doing well. Are we the only club to have two different shirt sponsors for this seasons campaign? I think we are and you have to hand it to the man. In the middle of the worst recession in modern times he comes up with the solution to increase our sponsorship income when most other clubs are having their deals cut.

I do hope though, when it comes to the naming rights for the new stadium, that he doesn't sell off each stand separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

We can have the sky-Pepsico-Unilever-Royal Dutch shell stadium or for short the spurs stadium :) although I wouldn't say he's a genius he's done very well for the club but we have yet to see Enic make an investment into the club I think they want to sell it on once they get clearance for the stadium.

spurs debt is something like 50 million, one quarter of a team like fulham. levy runs a good ship, dosent see the point in doing a leeds in it.

spending huge money is not the way to success, look at united, their squad cost less than ours and they have won it all. the key to success are scouts who will identify players with huge potential who are not well known yet (ronaldo, messi etc) / youth development / and a winning mentality

spurs debt is something like 50 million, one quarter of a team like fulham. levy runs a good ship, dosent see the point in doing a leeds in it.

spending huge money is not the way to success, look at united, their squad cost less than ours and they have won it all. the key to success are scouts who will identify players with huge potential who are not well known yet (ronaldo, messi etc) / youth development / and a winning mentality

I think it's becoming less and less possible to achieve success without spending big. Chelsea lead the way, followed now by City. Who next? Yes Man U, aside from a few big transfers, have a team that wouldn't have cost too much because they brought up some amazing youngsters that have stayed with them, and even beyond that are still key to their success, like Scholes.

While scouting can pinpoint players, it's becoming more and more difficult to spot 'unknown' talents due to the size of the scouting network. There's also the difficulty associated with bringing the talent to your club once discovered, like Diego.

Man U are nearly at the end of their 'free' period, where they have been able to rely on the old reliables, Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand, etc, and they will have to spend big to replace them. Arsenal have managed with a good mix of youth and spending, but what have they won recently? Liverpool are on the way out. Chelsea will continue to dominate and City will get it right - they'll be the two key players in the league unless someone else stupid enough to spend a billion on a team comes along. Everyone else will have to contend with 3rd place onwards as they just won't have the cash/players available.

I believe it's all money these days and that Spurs will never win the league when competing against the big spenders like City and Chelsea.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Man U are nearly at the end of their 'free' period, where they have been able to rely on the old reliables, Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand, etc, .

Ferdinand was far from free mate.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Ferdinand was far from free mate.

Oh I know, but it's money they spent many years ago while they still could. They won't be making any purchases like that for some time.

Daniel Levy believes Tottenham Hotspur deserve to be in the group stages of the Champions League but on the eve of their return to Europe's premier club competition the White Hart Lane chairman said he will not jeopardise their future to pursue qualification year after year.

The chairman has, however, moved to quell expectations and called for fans to be "realistic" about the prospects of the club remaining at football's top table in the long term, claiming only Manchester United and Chelsea are assured of a place in the league's top four every season.
    Levy also said the Champions League is "not a gold mine" and pointed out that the £15m Spurs will make from competing in the group stages is merely the equivalent of a transfer fee for one player.

"We deserve to be in the Champions League. Our history dictates that but it has taken us a long time to get back," he said. "I think it's a huge achievement for Harry [Redknapp], all his coaching staff and players and the fans as well. It's something special.

"I think we all want to stay there but we all have to be realistic. There are only four places in England and there are seven or eight clubs competing. There are probably two clubs you could say are guaranteed to be in that top four. You then have two places for six clubs. The odds are stacked against you. But what we won't do is jeopardise the club to challenge to be one of those two. You can't run the club on the basis of being in the Champions League. "Often people say you just need an extra player. It doesn't work. It's about the team. I like to think it's important to run the club in the right way. It's not just about today; it's about the future generation of fans. You have to protect the club."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/14/tottenham-champions-league-future

I think this is an excellent call from Levy and refreshingly honest. The last thing I would want to see is the club suffer a demise, such as Leeds did, with the obsession of Champions League qualification at all costs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/sep/14/tottenham-champions-league-future

I think this is an excellent call from Levy and refreshingly honest. The last thing I would want to see is the club suffer a demise, such as Leeds did, with the obsession of Champions League qualification at all costs.

as per usual more spin and excuses from Levy! :rolleyes:

As for the Leeds thing in fairness there's no comparision between them and a club from one of the richest cities in the world with a huge fanbase. Up to last season Spurs were the only team in the top 20 richest clubs in Europe not to have played in the CL. Sometimes it looks like Levy just wants to keep us as a nearly club!

yiddo59 wrote: »
    as per usual more spin and excuses from Levy! :rolleyes:

As for the Leeds thing in fairness there's no comparision between them and a club from one of the richest cities in the world with a huge fanbase. Up to last season Spurs were the only team in the top 20 richest clubs in Europe not to have played in the CL. Sometimes it looks like Levy just wants to keep us as a nearly club!

I see it as being realistic view from Levy. Other than Man U & Chelsea there are Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Villa and Spurs left chasing 2 CL spots. If we could qualify for the CL every other season, we'd be doing well.

As for the Leeds thing, I would say its immaterial on the size of a clubs fan base, as we also have a bigger fan base than Chelsea but they have a billionaire whose endless wealth will continue to buy success. Fan Base does not equal success. My point was, that without good business management at a club like Spurs, you could easily fall into the same trap that Leeds did. They were playing CL Football only 9 years ago. Look at what happened to them since. On a lesser scale you could compare the recent Portsmouth situation with Leeds sudden demise. They achieve success by winning the FA Cup but then destroy the club by running the business with the heart rather than the head in their pursuit of maintaining success.

Only two clubs have freedom of being able to spend, spend, spend.......Chelsea and Man City. Both backed by billionaires who see football club ownership as a way to indulge in their hobby.

We also have to bear in mind that we will be building a new stadium at a massive cost (estimated €300m).

I see it as being realistic view from Levy. Other than Man U & Chelsea there are Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City, Villa and Spurs left chasing 2 CL spots. If we could qualify for the CL every other season, we'd be doing well.

As for the Leeds thing, I would say its immaterial on the size of a clubs fan base, as we also have a bigger fan base than Chelsea but they have a billionaire whose endless wealth will continue to buy success. Fan Base does not equal success. My point was, that without good business management at a club like Spurs, you could easily fall into the same trap that Leeds did. They were playing CL Football only 9 years ago. Look at what happened to them since. On a lesser scale you could compare the recent Portsmouth situation with Leeds sudden demise. They achieve success by winning the FA Cup but then destroy the club by running the business with the heart rather than the head in their pursuit of maintaining success.

Only two clubs have freedom of being able to spend, spend, spend.......Chelsea and Man City. Both backed by billionaires who see football club ownership as a way to indulge in their hobby.

We also have to bear in mind that we will be building a new stadium at a massive cost (estimated €300m).

Fair enough but still don't think that Leeds and Pompey comparisions are valid. As for Levy to paraphrase Dunphy "he's a good chairman but not a great chairman". The sooner him and ENIC sell the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Apologies for bumping this old thread but I thought it would be interesting to see how / if peoples opinions of Levy have changed. Especially given his handling of Modric and Harry's sacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

He's a diamond, every other premiership team would love to have this bloke running their ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Apologies for bumping this old thread but I thought it would be interesting to see how / if peoples opinions of Levy have changed. Especially given his handling of Modric and Harry's sacking.

The jury's still out for me anyway. Yes he is a shrewd businessman but he has made a balls of the team to better the finances of the club before. I will never forget him selling Berba and Keane leaving us with Bent and Campbell up front a few seasons ago.

People seem to admire his stance on Modric. Personally I thought we should have sold Modric last season for 40m and bought a truly world class midfielder. There is a time to stand firm and there is also a time to realise 40m is an awful lot of money for a player who is not that good. If we get a good fee from Real/PSG it will be interesting to see if Levy will re invest it in players or will it go back into the clubs coffers.

As for Levy sacking Harry - i am still waiting to hear why he was fired.
    Anyone out there know why?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As for Levy sacking Harry - i am still waiting to hear why he was fired.
    Anyone out there know why?

He was told it was get Champions League football, or game over. I'd say he was also pretty pissed about Harry's flirting with the England job.

Advertisement