Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Ormus wrote: »
    I have tried extensively to answer all questions, but some people still seem to think that they are better qualified to run a football club than Daniel Levy.

who has said this ?

so anyone that comments negitively on the chairman's performance means that they think they would do a better job ? that's just silly.

are you not in favour of some (well founded) constructive criticism then ?

it's not north korea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

How do you know?

City and United ran rings around us, but they are good teams and they were on fire at the start of the season.

This really has strayed into wild speculation now.

It's an accurate observation based on the performances I watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

who has said this ?

so anyone that comments negitively on the chairman's performance means that they think they would do a better job ? that's just silly.

are you not in favour of some (well founded) constructive criticism then ?

it's not north korea

You have without a shadow of doubt suggested that you would handle several aspects of the running of the club better than our current chairman.

I think you need to look up what constructive criticism is, cos you are royally confused at the moment.

North Korea? Seriously? So my suggesting that Daniel Levy knows more about running a football club than you means that I am harming your human rights? Shame on me!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It's an accurate observation based on the performances I watched.

Ah ok, that is pretty solid evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

How do you know?

City and United ran rings around us, but they are good teams and they were on fire at the start of the season.

This really has strayed into wild speculation now.

City and United played a pretty weak midfield made up of a last resort in Kranjcar and a disinterested Modric or inexperienced Livermore... We were all over the place!

I stated here on the day of the Citeh game that I felt HR put out a weak midfield so that Levy would give in and sign Parker...

• Advertisement

City and United played a pretty weak midfield made up of a last resort in Kranjcar and a disinterested Modric or inexperienced Livermore... We were all over the place!

I stated here on the day of the Citeh game that I felt HR put out a weak midfield so that Levy would give in and sign Parker...

Yeah Kranjcar was an atrocious central midfielder. Total lightweight.

You have without a shadow of doubt suggested that you would handle several aspects of the running of the club better than our current chairman.

I think you need to look up what constructive criticism is, cos you are royally confused at the moment.

North Korea? Seriously? So my suggesting that Daniel Levy knows more about running a football club than you means that I am harming your human rights? Shame on me!

okay so you're happy with him and that's good for you,

but if other supporters have issues with his performance they are perfectly entitled to air them without being advised by yourself that it would seem they know more about running a football claub then the chairman.

It's like saying that players should not be criticised by supporters becasue the supporters are not as good as them at football, where do you draw the line, Am I a not allowed to criticise U2 (for example) because I can't paly the guitar ?

supporters are the only ones who really care what happens to the club and have no agendas. The players and chairman are all just passing through and are all fair game for measured criticism when things are not going well.

my criticism is constructive and not personal in any way, I would prefer if he ran certain aspects of the club in a different way and I've presented my reasons why, there's been no abuse thrown at the fella

(BTW the North Korea comment was based on the fact that you seem to have a problem with anyone criticising the chairman, a bit like the secret police ;) )

okay so you're happy with him and that's good for you,

but if other supporters have issues with his performance they are perfectly entitled to air them without being advised by yourself that it would seem they know more about running a football claub then the chairman.

It's like saying that players should not be criticised by supporters becasue the supporters are not as good as them at football, where do you draw the line, Am I a not allowed to criticise U2 (for example) because I can't paly the guitar ?

supporters are the only ones who really care what happens to the club and have no agendas. The players and chairman are all just passing through and are all fair game for measured criticism when things are not going well.

my criticism is constructive and not personal in any way, I would prefer if he ran certain aspects of the club in a different way and I've presented my reasons why, there's been no abuse thrown at the fella

(BTW the North Korea comment was based on the fact that you seem to have a problem with anyone criticising the chairman, a bit like the secret police ;) )

If a guitar doesn't sound good then it doesn't sound good. There is nothing more to it.

There is very little that you or I can see about what the running of a football club entails. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

You still haven't looked up the definition of constructive criticism.

I have no problem with people putting forward an opinion as long as it is humble and acknowledges that they are only going on what they read in the papers and that even if they had all the facts, they still don't have a clue how to run a football club.

If there is anyone here who has run a Premiership football club and is in possession of all the facts of what has occurred at Spurs this summer, then feel absolutely free to offer criticism of Daniel Levy and I will listen with bated breath. That would never be allowed in North Korea.

If none of that appeals to you, then please continue to hold forth with your 'constructive criticism' and we will all pretend that it's a serious conversation.

If a guitar doesn't sound good then it doesn't sound good. There is nothing more to it.

There is very little that you or I can see about what the running of a football club entails. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong?

You still haven't looked up the definition of constructive criticism.

I have no problem with people putting forward an opinion as long as it is humble and acknowledges that they are only going on what they read in the papers and that even if they had all the facts, they still don't have a clue how to run a football club.

If there is anyone here who has run a Premiership football club and is in possession of all the facts of what has occurred at Spurs this summer, then feel absolutely free to offer criticism of Daniel Levy and I will listen with bated breath. That would never be allowed in North Korea.

If none of that appeals to you, then please continue to hold forth with your 'constructive criticism' and we will all pretend that it's a serious conversation.

I enjoyed that,

So in your eyes the only people who qualify to pass comment on the performance of a football club chairman are those who have done the job before ? Nobody else should say a word unless it's to congratulate the man.

Rightio :)

I agree we don't know all the facts, but we do know certain things that have happened and are currently going on at our club, for example:

1. We know our main transfer business in 2010 and 2011 was conducted just before deadline (Van Der Vaart in 2010, Ade and Parker in 2011)

2. We know our pre-Sep results have been poor in resent seasons before we strengthened after Aug

3. We know Modric wanted to leave last summer and again this summer.

4. We know the chairman has had around 12 months to agree a deal for Ade and still nothing has been finalised

5. We know our only strikers Defoe and Kane

I enjoyed that,

So in your eyes the only people who qualify to pass comment on the performance of a football club chairman are those who have done the job before ? Nobody else should say a word unless it's to congratulate the man.

Rightio :)

I agree we don't know all the facts, but we do know certain things that have happened and are currently going on at our club, for example:

1. We know our main transfer business in 2010 and 2011 was conducted just before deadline (Van Der Vaart in 2010, Ade and Parker in 2011)

2. We know our pre-Sep results have been poor in resent seasons before we strengthened after Aug

3. We know Modric wanted to leave last summer and again this summer.

4. We know the chairman has had around 12 months to agree a deal for Ade and still nothing has been finalised

5. We know our only strikers Defoe and Kane

No, anyone can pass comment. For example, you can say you don't understand it, you find it frustrating, you wish you knew why these things had happened. You can say that the whole thing about running a club is way over your head, but you wish that something could be sorted out. You getting my drift? These are just examples now, so don't confuse that with me putting words in your mouth.

• Advertisement

No, anyone can pass comment. For example, you can say you don't understand it, you find it frustrating, you wish you knew why these things had happened. You can say that the whole thing about running a club is way over your head, but you wish that something could be sorted out. You getting my drift? These are just examples now, so don't confuse that with me putting words in your mouth.

supporters can and will criticise the club for making wrong decisions or if they feel a decision that has been made is going to turn out badly, we can think for ourselves and make up our own minds.

likewise we are free to applaude the good decisions made by the club/chairman

my original point was that in his time as chairman he has got it wrong more than he's got it right and I would like to see someone else calling the shots

we're just existing with ENIC, standing still and that's not a very exciting prospect, yes we're not Leeds or Pompey but taking a more adventerous role in the transfer doesnt always lead to disaster

1 trophy in 14 yrs is our worst run since the war, how is that doing a good job ?

the bottom line is we are weaker now than we were when the season finished
    the chairman sacked the old mgr and (up to today) has not backed the new man with the money to fill the serious gaps in the team.

as I said, I would be prepared to re-think my position if the signings are made before Saturday

supporters can and will criticise the club for making wrong decisions or if they feel a decision that has been made is going to turn out badly, we can think for ourselves and make up our own minds.

likewise we are free to applaude the good decisions made by the club/chairman

my original point was that in his time as chairman he has got it wrong more than he's got it right and I would like to see someone else calling the shots

we're just existing with ENIC, standing still and that's not a very exciting prospect, yes we're not Leeds or Pompey but taking a more adventerous role in the transfer doesnt always lead to disaster

1 trophy in 14 yrs is our worst run since the war, how is that doing a good job ?

the bottom line is we are weaker now than we were when the season finished
    the chairman sacked the old mgr and (up to today) has not backed the new man with the money to fill the serious gaps in the team.

as I said, I would be prepared to re-think my position if the signings are made before Saturday

Ok well I have no problem with you criticising the chairman as long as you admit you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I'm not sure how old you are, but if you had supported Spurs in the 90s, you would know that Levy has overseen the club turn from relegation strugglers to Champions League candidates. Nothing short of revolutionary. Even if you are too young to remember that, you can look it up. It is indisputable that he has got it very very right a lot more than he has got it wrong. That is not even opinion, it is clear as day on the facts.

We won the FA Cup and the League Cup in the 90s, but trophies are not the barometer of success anymore. Those cups are consolation prizes now and have been for years. Bigger clubs don't take those competitions seriously.

I agree that we are in dire need of a striker or 2. I agree completely on that.

However, it is interesting that only 3 Premiership clubs have spent more money than us this summer.

Ok well I have no problem with you criticising the chairman as long as you admit you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I'm not sure how old you are, but if you had supported Spurs in the 90s, you would know that Levy has overseen the club turn from relegation strugglers to Champions League candidates. Nothing short of revolutionary. Even if you are too young to remember that, you can look it up. It is indisputable that he has got it very very right a lot more than he has got it wrong. That is not even opinion, it is clear as day on the facts.

We won the FA Cup and the League Cup in the 90s, but trophies are not the barometer of success anymore. Those cups are consolation prizes now and have been for years. Bigger clubs don't take those competitions seriously.

I agree that we are in dire need of a striker or 2. I agree completely on that.

However, it is interesting that only 3 Premiership clubs have spent more money than us this summer.

Yes, Levy got some things right, mostly on the commercial side, we're financially stable and have a nice new training ground.

But on the football side, we have won 1 cup in his time at the club (12 seasons), we also faced relegation 3 or 4 times, he has hired and fired 8 managers in 11 years, Then when we finally break into the CL, the investment needed to keep us there doens't happen. All of this has shown that his judgment on the football side of things has been quite poor most of the time.

I'd like to discuss this further but if you cannot show a little bit of respect for a fellow supporter that has a different view to you there is no real point (look at the openiong line of you last post for example).

For the record and because you mentioned it, I've been supporting the club since the early 80 and clocked up over 100 games, not that I need to prove anything to you.

Yes, Levy got some things right, mostly on the commercial side, we're financially stable and have a nice new training ground.

But on the football side, we have won 1 cup in his time at the club (12 seasons), we also faced relegation 3 or 4 times, he has hired and fired 8 managers in 11 years, Then when we finally break into the CL, the investment needed to keep us there doens't happen. All of this has shown that his judgment on the football side of things has been quite poor most of the time.

I'd like to discuss this further but if you cannot show a little bit of respect for a fellow supporter that has a different view to you there is no real point (look at the openiong line of you last post for example).

For the record and because you mentioned it, I've been supporting the club since the early 80 and clocked up over 100 games, not that I need to prove anything to you.

But it wasn't disrespectful of me to say that you should admit you don't have a clue. None of us have a clue how to run a football club. I include myself in that of course. The most that anyone on Boards is likely to know about being a chairman, probably came from reading the papers, and maybe a bit of Championship manager and fantasy football. Am I wrong?

I'm extremely surprised that you consider the League Cup to be a more important measure of achievement than qualifying for the Champions League. Those days are long gone!

Yes, we are financially stable and have a nice new training ground, but also our squad is in a different stratosphere to the one which limped through the 90's. Our second choice 11 of now would comfortably beat our first 11 of 14 years ago, even with Harry Kane up front.

That is my opinion, but the results, performances and league positions all back up the fact that we have progressed. How can you continue to not notice the vast improvements? It makes your argument very unrealistic.

It used to be almost embarrassing to support Spurs. We always had a few fancy players but no substance, no resilience, and very badly run. Big wages paid to fading, injury prone stars, stupid money spent on risky foreign imports instead of strengthening the squad. We are serious contenders now and that is thanks to a lot of factors, but the biggest factor is Levy.

But it wasn't disrespectful of me to say that you should admit you don't have a clue. None of us have a clue how to run a football club. I include myself in that of course. The most that anyone on Boards is likely to know about being a chairman, probably came from reading the papers, and maybe a bit of Championship manager and fantasy football. Am I wrong?

I'm extremely surprised that you consider the League Cup to be a more important measure of achievement than qualifying for the Champions League. Those days are long gone!

Yes, we are financially stable and have a nice new training ground, but also our squad is in a different stratosphere to the one which limped through the 90's. Our second choice 11 of now would comfortably beat our first 11 of 14 years ago, even with Harry Kane up front.

That is my opinion, but the results, performances and league positions all back up the fact that we have progressed. How can you continue to not notice the vast improvements? It makes your argument very unrealistic.

It used to be almost embarrassing to support Spurs. We always had a few fancy players but no substance, no resilience, and very badly run. Big wages paid to fading, injury prone stars, stupid money spent on risky foreign imports instead of strengthening the squad. We are serious contenders now and that is thanks to a lot of factors, but the biggest factor is Levy.

If you think football supporters should not express discontent with football club chairmen/owbers because they themselves have never run a football club then I'm afraid we'll have to leave it there, it's getting silly now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Guys

I just read some of this thread and it's pure nonsense. Pull yourselves together

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

mickman wrote: »
    Guys

I just read some of this thread and it's pure nonsense. Pull yourselves together
    but entertaining :D

Opinions, opinions....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Mullo76 wrote: »
    but entertaining :D

Opinions, opinions....

Exactly it's all about opinions...anyway I think this Dublin Spur fella is a spoofer, I don't think he's been to any Spurs games at all......

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Exactly it's all about opinions...anyway I think this Dublin Spur fella is a spoofer, I don't think he's been to any Spurs games at all......

He would make a hell of a chairman though. What that guy doesn't know about running a football club, isn't worth knowing.

He would make a hell of a chairman though. What that guy doesn't know about running a football club, isn't worth knowing.

:D:D:D Pulling your leg mate.
    It's all about opinions, that's what the forum is for. Everyone disagreed with me when I was cursing the manager last season, that's what it's all about.

p.s. in fairness, he has been to plenty of games mate ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Having played a game or two of championship manager, I'm pretty sure I'd make an excellent chairman.

:D:D:D Pulling your leg mate.
    It's all about opinions, that's what the forum is for. Everyone disagreed with me when I was cursing the manager last season, that's what it's all about.

p.s. in fairness, he has been to plenty of games mate ;)

Ah yeah I agree completely. I just find it hard to listen to uninformed opinions, especially when they are denouncing people who have made the mighty Spurs the force they are.

But I'll try harder to be accepting.

Ah yeah I agree completely. I just find it hard to listen to uninformed opinions, especially when they are denouncing people who have made the mighty Spurs the force they are.

Oooohhhh, comments like that are gonna keep this debate a raging inferno, im out...

Give it a rest.

Give it a rest.

Never

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Never

Shur, keep it going. Things were awful quiet here since mid-May!

Daniel, I really hope you have something up your sleeve this week. If modric goes and we don't get a quality replacement, we're in trouble.

Daniel, I really hope you have something up your sleeve this week. If modric goes and we don't get a quality replacement, we're in trouble.

don't expect much, if you do you'll be disapointed

I wonder who will be this year's last minute Rasiac / Frazer Campbell ?

"As usual, Madrid paid more than they expected"

"Spurs add another club to their partnership deals with clubs around the world. I am convinced Daniel Levy is one the cleverest guys in football"

• Advertisement

don't expect much, if you do you'll be disapointed

I wonder who will be this year's last minute Rasiac / Frazer Campbell ?

Moussa Dembele

Advertisement