Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

N3-M50 interchange

1910111315

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ brandodub


    Random wrote: »
    happy to hear that about the garda. bus eireanns buses are doing it all the bloody time. i really hope they sort those road markings and finished the bus lane just before the slip down from the train station.


    Here's the full layout from 21/08/2010 as given by M50 Traffic Mgt


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭ Breezer


    brandodub wrote: »
    Here's the full layout from 21/08/2010 as given by M50 Traffic Mgt
    How is traffic supposed to get from Blanchardstown Village (or the area just south of it e.g. Laurel Lodge) to the M50 south? Head up the N3 towards Navan, loop around over the bridge, and all the way back again? Or alternatively up to the Phoenix Park Station bridge, cross over, back past Auburn and onto it that way? Please don't tell me this junction has been permanently designed with no access to the M50 south from the village...


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 31,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭ dolanbaker


    Breezer wrote: »
    How is traffic supposed to get from Blanchardstown Village (or the area just south of it e.g. Laurel Lodge) to the M50 south? Head up the N3 towards Navan, loop around over the bridge, and all the way back again? Or alternatively up to the Phoenix Park Station bridge, cross over, back past Auburn and onto it that way? Please don't tell me this junction has been permanently designed with no access to the M50 south from the village...

    On the flyer it suggests going via Snugborough, then using the N3 inbound.


  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭ MrDerp


    dolanbaker wrote: »
    On the flyer it suggests going via Snugborough, then using the N3 inbound.

    Or they can go via castleknock and auburn avenue.

    It says no right turn onto auburn avenue from N3 inbound, but can they turn right from the travelodge towards N3 outbound and M50S?

    Either way, it's to be welcomed. One less local road into a major interchange, letting them join a half mile either side of it, is better all round.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭ Breezer


    MrDerp wrote: »
    Either way, it's to be welcomed. One less local road into a major interchange, letting them join a half mile either side of it, is better all round.
    Ordinarily, I'd agree, but not here. What is supposed to be a local road has become a major Dublin traffic artery in recent years and it can't cope. Whatever about Blanchardstown, Castleknock needs to be bypassed completely, not have more traffic funnelled through it en route to the M50. I'll reserve judgement until I see the whole system in operation, but deliberately routing traffic through a village sounds nuts to me.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭ BostonB


    Breezer wrote: »
    ....What is supposed to be a local road has become a major Dublin traffic artery in recent years and it can't cope. .....

    Isn't that the whole problem. Over development of D.15 and meath beyond. All coming in the Navan Rd or Castleknock road to get to city center. Indeed the main road the Navan Rd has gone from two lanes to one lane due to the bus lanes. So there actually less capacity into city center than there was 10, 15 yrs ago. Now theres a ruddy great interchange junction bang in the middle of it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ dots03


    apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know what the timeline for the M50 Northbound off ramp onto the N3 is ?

    Will it stay reduced to one lane until October ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ celticbest


    dots03 wrote: »
    apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know what the timeline for the M50 Northbound off ramp onto the N3 is ?

    Will it stay reduced to one lane until October ?

    Due to have three lanes opened on the M50NB at some stage this week & the rest of Junction is due to be fully opened on the 31/08/10.

    Posted on 20/08/10 on the M50 upgrade - Phase II, thread
    The slip from the M50 SB to the N3 Outbound will definately open on the 31st along with the rest. On the mainline, I expect the third lane under the N3 to be open some time next week as we want as little TM as possible to be in place for the opening. On the day of opening the off ramp will be one lane, i.e. the auxiliary lane, leaving 3 lanes Northbound


  • Registered Users Posts: 78,143 ✭✭✭✭ Victor


    Moved from Commuting & Transport


  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ The Dark Knight


    What the Story with the N3-Out to N3-Out flow through the M50-N3 junction for the last couple of days?
    If it stays this Bad, the Junction will have to go down as a Failure!!!


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭ BostonB


    I think you are seeing what Breezer said. Traffic going on/off the M50 has priority at the expense of everything else. So everything else backs up. The problem with that is that there are 3 other main local junctions here.

    1) N3 traffic going straight through.
    2) Castleknock traffic in and out
    3) Blanch traffic in and out

    There minor traffic also going into total fitness/hospital, but the volumes I'd guess would relatively minor.

    I usually avoid all those junctions. Out of curiosity I tried it one day last week at about 7pm and it took about 20+ minutes to get through heading out on the N3. In fact I don't think I've passed through there at any time recently where there wasn't a queue somewhere.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,391 ✭✭✭✭ Stark


    Hopefully when the remaining freeflows open, they can play around with the green time for N3 outbound or remove the lights entirely.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭ BostonB


    Theres always hope. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. The other junctions Red Cow, M1/M50 seem to move ok.


  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ brandodub


    Went through there today at around 1720 and all lights were out on the roundabout. (Travelling M50S->N3 OB).
    Obviously not as bad as inbound N3 traffic uses the new freeflows but there was major backups on N3 outbound and M50S off ramp. I'm hoping its because its not fully open yet that its still this bad.

    Even AA Roawatch gave it only a cursory mention( 'heavy delays' like the old Red Cow Roundabout a few years ago).

    Fingers crossed .......:confused::(


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ mackerski


    Earlier this evening I drove N3 inbound-M50 South and back again. Some speed limit roundels have been painted on the lanes at two locations:

    Here across all lanes (towards M50 and towards city)

    And here on the not-yet-open ramp towards N3 outbound.

    As far as I could see, all were marked with the number "30" with no units. This is not only a daft limit, it also conflicts with all signs currently erected on these sections. More silly mistakes or something more worrying?


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,391 ✭✭✭✭ Stark


    I took the "30" to mean 30mph. Which is obviously a bit stupid given that we don't use those units anymore.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭ BostonB


    It can't be MPH.

    That it doesn't match the signs. LOL.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,391 ✭✭✭✭ Stark


    The signs were "50km/hr" from what I remember. That's how I figured the roundels were outdated "30mph" roundels like you see coming into villages around the country and the like.


  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭ Wibbler


    mackerski wrote: »
    As far as I could see, all were marked with the number "30" with no units. This is not only a daft limit, it also conflicts with all signs currently erected on these sections. More silly mistakes or something more worrying?

    Jeebus, how hard is it to get this stuff right?

    If it is 30km/h then someone needs to be horsewhipped. That is way too low. I thought the 50hm/h limit on the freeflow from M50 to M1 Northbound was silly. There's not a hope of anyone actually respecting that.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭ rolion


    Wibbler wrote: »
    Jeebus, how hard is it to get this stuff right?

    If it is 30km/h then someone needs to be horsewhipped. That is way too low. I thought the 50hm/h limit on the freeflow from M50 to M1 Northbound was silly. There's not a hope of anyone actually respecting that.

    If there will be 30,then i expect to see parked ,on the side of the road, a white van OR a red van OR a green van,with a clear line on the back door's window and AC unit on the top...mobile radar camera unit ! They'll share it with the one from Lucan N4 ! They needs to recoupe the investment ! !

    Re traffic,i still maintain my affirmation that is a very bad design...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭ Chris_5339762


    The 30 limit going from N4E to M50S is needed as those slips cant be driven any faster, simple as. Dunno if thats the case here though.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Davy


    The 30 limit going from N4E to M50S is needed as those slips cant be driven any faster, simple as. Dunno if thats the case here though.

    Im sure the overturned truck at J3 a few months ago had a part to play in setting this low limit.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭ jack presley


    Davy wrote: »
    Im sure the overturned truck at J3 a few months ago had a part to play in setting this low limit.

    The funny thing is that the next speed limit sign you meet is down at the Ashtown roundabout. Are we to go at 30kmph till there?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭ BostonB


    Schools are back, you'll be well lucky to do that.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ mackerski


    Davy wrote: »
    Im sure the overturned truck at J3 a few months ago had a part to play in setting this low limit.

    The limit on that section is 50km/h. Do we know how fast the truck was travelling?


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Davy


    The funny thing is that the next speed limit sign you meet is down at the Ashtown roundabout. Are we to go at 30kmph till there?

    I dont get ya, the 30KPH is marked on the new slip not opened yet, which goes outbound towards cavan, not inbound.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ mackerski


    The 30 limit going from N4E to M50S is needed as those slips cant be driven any faster, simple as. Dunno if thats the case here though.

    It can indeed be taken faster. Not a whole lot faster, and not in all weathers, but that's blanket speed limits for you.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭ jack presley


    Davy wrote: »
    I dont get ya, the 30KPH is marked on the new slip not opened yet, which goes outbound towards cavan, not inbound.

    It's on the N3 inbound overpass as well. I saw it this morning.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Davy


    It's on the N3 inbound overpass as well. I saw it this morning.

    Is that not just for vehicles going onto the m50 SB, rather than going to the city centre


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ mackerski


    Davy wrote: »
    I dont get ya, the 30KPH is marked on the new slip not opened yet, which goes outbound towards cavan, not inbound.

    It's also marked on the N3 citybound straight-through route.


Advertisement