Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deactivated militaria

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

arnhem44 wrote: »
    What proof house done the deactivation?

Haven't a cert for it, must look up the stamps.
    Only cost me €99, but all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LEGIONAIREFAN

hi croppyboy im danny i live in carlow too whereabouts are you from? i live just outside the town!

hi preusse, im danny i'm interested in collecting western & american civil war handguns! though i havent started yet as i dont know the precise laws regarding importing and possessing them! i'm also very interested in the congo war of the sixties and am planning a movie about the jadotsville seige, i am currently researching the weapons used by all sides in that conflict and what i have to do to legally collect and keep these weapons, perhaps you can advise me! it would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi LEGIONAIREFAN,

sorry for the delay but I've been away for the last 2 weeks.

Well as for deactivated militaria you would definitely need to contact your local Superintendent. Deactivated firearms are classified as defective firearms under the legislation and although you do not require a full firearms certificate for these you will require a written authorisation by your local Superintendent to hold a deactivated firearm in your possession.

I only had very good experiences with my Superintendent. I made sure to meet him personally and explain what I am interested in, what I want to collect and why. This way he/she can put a face to the name and it is easier to erradicate any questions which may arise with ease rather than sending letters back and force etc. So this is where I would start.

Please feel free to report your experiences as a budding collector here. ;)

Best of luck,
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Would American Civil War period firearms fall under antique firearms,I think there's different laws regarding antique weapons.Denix make some good replica western firearms.

• Advertisement

Would American Civil War period firearms fall under antique firearms,I think there's different laws regarding antique weapons.

Yes, if they were in an out-dated calibre it would be different. Again, it would be prudent to adhere to the exact section of the legislation though. Check which calibres are considered redundant with no possibility of getting any more ammo for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Would American Civil War period firearms fall under antique firearms,I think there's different laws regarding antique weapons.Denix make some good replica western firearms.

the powers that be informed me that a peashooter would be an offensive weapon and require a licence, so muskets would require a licenece or get it offically deactivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

a friend of mine has a offical caution/warning on his record for being caught with a pellet gun when he was younger. somthing along the lines of "possesion of an illegal firearm" or "deadly weapon" (cant remember which). very funny when I heard it called out on a Gardais radio, and knowing what it was from.

so i would consult your local superintendent before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭doubletap

a pellet gun is classed as a firearm and you need a licence for it.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the powers that be informed me that a peashooter would be an offensive weapon and require a licence, so muskets would require a license or get it officially deactivated.
    According to the Justice Department old and antique guns are exempt from the provisions of the firearms act provided they are held as ornaments or curiosities but still need an importation licence like buying de-acts from abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

According to the Justice Department old and antique guns are exempt from the provisions of the firearms act provided they are held as ornaments or curiosities but still need an importation licence like buying de-acts from abroad.

how old is old? i have just paid to have holes drillled in a 100 year old shotgun (deactivation). I was told muskets that can discharge a projectile also need a licence. they brought in stricter laws this year. if it is held as an ornament it has to be deactivated (essentially ruined and devalued)

This is off the Garda website,there used to be a figure given for old and antique firearms regarding there age to determine the category they would be classed under but this now seems to be done away with.

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/commissioners%20guidelines%204.pdf

COLLECTORS/DEACTIVATED FIREARMS
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
    Antique firearms are exempt from the provisions of the Firearms Acts provided they are held as ornaments or curiosities. In the absence of a definition for an ‘antique’ firearm, Ballistics section at Garda H.Q. applies the ‘Pre Unitary Cartridge’ rule which appears to conform to international standards. Unitary cartridge ammunition consists of a cartridge - usually metal which contains the primer – the propellant and the bullet within it.
    Modern reproductions of antique firearms are not exempt from firearms legislation.
    Some people will occasionally wish to buy an old or antique firearm, or one which is valuable because of its historical significance, for no reason other than as an investment. This may sometimes be regarded as ‘Good Reason’ having regard to all the circumstances, and if capable of being fired, these firearms will require a firearms certificate.
    Deactivated/Defective firearms, not capable of being fired, may be kept on the written authorisation of the local superintendent under S.6 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990 as amended. The superintendent must be satisfied that the firearm is actually permanently deactivated and may request certification of same from a recognised proof house and have the firearm examined by a suitably qualified member of the Garda Síochána. Ballistics section Garda H.Q. may also be contacted to offer any further assistance if required. The serial number on such a deactivated firearm should always be maintained for identification purposes.
    [/FONT][/FONT]

cheers preusse! your info is very helpful! im going to have a chat with my local super or firearms officer. im making am making a movie about the jadots ville seige! where 155 irish troops stood to against overwhelming odds and took out about 500 enemies, only sustaining 4 wounded! at the moment im researching the arms used by both sides i plan to get some airsoft arms & some deacs. so i'll keeep you posted as to how its going!

danny (legionairefan)

hi arnhem44, thanks for posting the info regarding denix! i did not know about them! im gonna check 'em out!

danny (legionairefan)

so i'll keeep you posted as to how its going!

danny (legionairefan)

Hi Danny, please do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Banditboy_irl

Preusse wrote: »
    Hi LEGIONAIREFAN,

sorry for the delay but I've been away for the last 2 weeks.

Well as for deactivated militaria you would definitely need to contact your local Superintendent. Deactivated firearms are classified as defective firearms under the legislation and although you do not require a full firearms certificate for these you will require a written authorisation by your local Superintendent to hold a deactivated firearm in your possession.

I only had very good experiences with my Superintendent. I made sure to meet him personally and explain what I am interested in, what I want to collect and why. This way he/she can put a face to the name and it is easier to erradicate any questions which may arise with ease rather than sending letters back and force etc. So this is where I would start.

Please feel free to report your experiences as a budding collector here. ;)

Best of luck,
    P.

Interesting ...

I myself am looking to collect deacts which I used during my time in the irish army.

I searched the legal route being that of airsoft but my fav weapon is unavailable at present!

The Gustav 9mm Sub Machine Gun ...

At Salute 2010 in Swords I saw stalls openly selling weapons, AK47 & Luger pistols.

I don't think anyone was selling deacts at salute. A good few people asked if they were for sale. In my case it didn't help that I had put on white tags to keep track of them; they looked a bit like price tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

kowloon wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was selling deacts at salute. A good few people asked if they were for sale. In my case it didn't help that I had put on white tags to keep track of them; they looked a bit like price tags.

Hi Knwloon. De-acts were for sale on the day. Seen them, priced them. But as you know from what happened to me, I didnt buy them ;)

I missed your stall?? where were you? What you have on display?

How do people get away with this,do the organiser's do anything about it?

I must have just assumed they were on display! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Banditboy_irl

chem wrote: »
    Hi Knwloon. De-acts were for sale on the day. Seen them, priced them. But as you know from what happened to me, I didnt buy them ;)

I missed your stall?? where were you? What you have on display?

What happened to you ???

On one stall I saw what looked like an AK47 with folding stock for 475euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

hi croppyboy im danny i live in carlow too whereabouts are you from? i live just outside the town!

Hi Danny, sorry, only seeing this now.

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fr.Jack

Hi
    I thought I would show my Arisaka Type 38.Its has literally been through the war regarding its condition but its the way I like it. It still has its chrysanthemum which was usually filed off as it was regarded as dishonorable to the Emperor of Japan if your were captured with this intact.
    Sorry for the bad pictures but they are old ones and I am moving house at the minute but as soon as I get sorted out I,ll post new ones along with some other bits and pieces from my collection.
    Martin

Thanks for sharing that one with us,it certainly has the been there look and I'm sure if it could tell a story it would most certainly be interesting.I love those Arisaka bayonets,they seem so well balanced when holding one in one's hand.Any idea of the maker on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fr.Jack

Unsure of maker but when I get unpacked I,ll take a few more pictures. They are a lovely bayonet and when they,re fixed to the rifle I wouldn,t want to be on the receiving end of it.

Just wondering has anyone else been told that they have to renew their Article Sevens on a yearly basis from now on or is it just me?

Just wondering has anyone else been told that they have to renew their Article Sevens on a yearly basis from now on or is it just me?

Haven't been told that. I just renew the letter from the Super for my deacts. The Article 7 is just for import purposes as far as I know, so once your item is in the country it's the permission letter of teh Super that counts (that's what I've been told and how I handle it but maybe someone knows different?).

Preusse wrote: »
    Haven't been told that. I just renew the letter from the Super for my deacts. The Article 7 is just for import purposes as far as I know, so once your item is in the country it's the permission letter of teh Super that counts (that's what I've been told and how I handle it but maybe someone knows different?).

Thanks Preusse,do you have to renew the letter on a yearly basis?.This is something that I haven't had to do.I currently have an application to get permission for two more rifles and it seems that the application I put forward has brought attention to the guns I already have.I'll know more tomorrow when the letter arrives

Thanks Preusse,do you have to renew the letter on a yearly basis?.This is something that I haven't had to do.I currently have an application to get permission for two more rifles and it seems that the application I put forward has brought attention to the guns I already have.I'll know more tomorrow when the letter arrives

No, the letter was usually enough but I need to renew as my old Super left this year. I hope the new Super will be just as good to deal with. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Well from talking to the firearms officer yesterday he said this renewal will be a yearly thing,why I have no idea.Maybe it's something that's at the Supers discretion and feels it better to have it this way.I'll update on this when I know more.

Advertisement