Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

My times from last yr.. jesus i was like driving miss daisy on the bike- 2'43! now, that includes the kayak and the short run, but jaaaaaaaaaysis.. twas a hybrid pos i was on.

01:32 - run
    00:26 - kayak trans
    02:43 - kayak, run, cycle
    01:24 - CP
    00:43 - cycle home
    06:24- total

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    My times from last yr.. jesus i was like driving miss daisy on the bike- 2'43! now, that includes the kayak and the short run, but jaaaaaaaaaysis.. twas a hybrid pos i was on.

I wouldnt have much success running away from you i'd say!
    I'd expect the below

02:00 - run
    02:25 - kayak, run, cycle
    01:00 - CP
    00:25 - cycle home
    Total 5:50

Actually maybe i'm underestimating what i'll do(famous last words!!!), cycling is far and away my strongest point, so i'll hope to make up a lot of time there especially on the hills :)

yeah, it's a great event for cyclists.. you'll do the run faster than that i promise you!

I'm really hoping to get my bike times way faster this yr, with my snazzy new giant rapid. the yoke i was on last yr wouldnt be much better than dublin bikes!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah, it's a great event for cyclists.. you'll do the run faster than that i promise you!

I'm really hoping to get my bike times way faster this yr, with my snazzy new giant rapid. the yoke i was on last yr wouldnt be much better than dublin bikes!

Rapid 4? I've a flat bar(none of this fancy drop bar $hite!) but spend a lot of time on it, regularly do 40-50k and its almost effortless at this stage, i cycle to most of my matches play and then cycle back and that has helped my fitness a good bit aswell as it throws in a bit of a mix.

Rapid 4? I've a flat bar(none of this fancy drop bar $hite!) but spend a lot of time on it, regularly do 40-50k and its almost effortless at this stage, i cycle to most of my matches play and then cycle back and that has helped my fitness a good bit aswell as it throws in a bit of a mix.

no, tis the rapid 2, electric blue with flat bars.. i LOVE it. i only have it about 6 weeks but god do i love it. I specifically wanted flat handle bars, hate the loopy ones, i think they just look horrible, and i cant use them properly anyway. really happy with my purchase, love hairing around the place in it! whats the difference in the 4, higher spec?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Im in the 8:30 gang too. Having some 'issues' with the backpack in that I cant fit everything into it when I put my runners in there for the cycle. I was due to wear SPD shoes on the bike.

I'll have to think of something.

no, tis the rapid 2, blue with flat handle bars.. i LOVE it. i only have it about 6 weeks but god do i love it. I specifically wanted flat handle bars, hate the loopy ones, i think they just look horrible, and i cant use them properly anyway. really happy with my purchase, love hairing around the place in it! whats the difference in the 4, higher spec?

Sadly no a lower one :( cost 550 and my company wasnt doing the bike to work scheme so took the cheaper option but i've no problem with it, you lost a bit of aero dynamics but unless your a serious cyclist thats not going to be a massive concern.

Sadly no a lower one :( cost 550 and my company wasnt doing the bike to work scheme so took the cheaper option but i've no problem with it, you lost a bit of aero dynamics but unless your a serious cyclist thats not going to be a massive concern.

yeah that was pretty much my budget too, but thankfully we've the bike to work scheme so i went for the 2, twas 850. havent paid a penny for it yet, paying for it next month. the bike to work scheme is the business, betcha the govt will do away with it soon.

Trotter wrote: »
    Im in the 8:30 gang too. Having some 'issues' with the backpack in that I cant fit everything into it when I put my runners in there for the cycle. I was due to wear SPD shoes on the bike.

I'll have to think of something.
    use a bigger pack man :D

they'll start taxing events.. a fat tax to help fat people :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

use a bigger pack man :D

Im only a small me though! :) Ive been running and cycling with this pack for months so I cant leave him down now :p

I wasnt thinking that I have 2 bottles on the bike so I actually dont need to have any water in the pack on the bike so maybe that will give me the space. Gotta try later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Trotter wrote: »
    Im only a small me though! :) Ive been running and cycling with this pack for months so I cant leave him down now :p

I wasnt thinking that I have 2 bottles on the bike so I actually dont need to have any water in the pack on the bike so maybe that will give me the space. Gotta try later on.

Try a bit of bungey cord? A few lads last year tied their runners to the cross bar/bags with bungy cord.

8.30 wave too. I just hope the bus is gone before the leaders finish. The thoughts of then with their feet up while I've yet to start!

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    8.30 wave too. I just hope the bus is gone before the leaders finish. The thoughts of then with their feet up while I've yet to start!

jesus there's an awful thought!

you'll be grand tho, the elite gun isnt until 6.30 am (5am bus), so they'll only be coming in from about 10.10am or so i'd say, based on last yrs winner (3'27) plus 10 mins for the extra mileage.. they will be finishing when you're about 2km into the run !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

jesus there's an awful thought!

you'll be grand tho, the elite gun isnt until 6.30 am (5am bus), so they'll only be coming in from about 10.10am or so i'd say, based on last yrs winner (3'27) plus 10 mins for the extra mileage.. they will be finishing when you're about 2km into the run !

Ah, I thought they started at 5am. Had visions of clapping the winner home before trudging onto the bus

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Ah, I thought they started at 5am. Had visions of clapping the winner home before trudging onto the bus

nah, the gun is 90 mins after the times, isnt that right? for instance i'm 6.30wave, my gun will go at 8...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Would getting into the routine tomorrow morning be of any benefit? I'm in the 7.00 wave on Saturday so considering getting up and having breakfast at 6.15 on Friday, and then maybe doing a short cycle or something. Two reasons, one to get used to eating so early and secondly it's just dawned on me that (spoiler is possibly TMI)
    bowel movements
    are going to be a big issue for me early on in the race on Saturday given my normal regularity!

Wreck wrote: »
    Would getting into the routine tomorrow morning be of any benefit? I'm in the 7.00 wave on Saturday so considering getting up and having breakfast at 6.15 on Friday, and then maybe doing a short cycle or something. Two reasons, one to get used to eating so early and secondly it's just dawned on me that (spoiler is possibly TMI)
    bowel movements
    are going to be a big issue for me early on in the race on Saturday given my normal regularity!

yeah i'm setting my alarm clock for 6am tomorrow morning, jsut so i'll be whacked tomorrow nite and will pass out early.

I hear you on the TMI situation. I'll be having a very very strong coffee with breakfast, help things move along and all that.

Christ, i'm bricking it now all of a sudden. Going through the waves and am spotting loads of familiar names. wish i'd trained more now!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

I think we're all in the same boat - the obsessive one that is! Is anyone doing any work out there?!

I'm in the 8a.m. wave - anyone else in that?

I went to Wheelworx at lunchtime, and one of the guys there showed me how to fix a broken chain, so I bought a chain tool (actually one of those multi tool things!) and some spare links. I definitely won't need them now!

Anyone around tomorrow night, or do we all have to go to bed really early?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Just registered and dropped off my bike.

A painless process compared to last year. For anyone that did the connemara adventure race, it was the exact same reg process, bar the bike drop off.

Bike drop is the same field, bit it aint a marsh this time round.

Best of luck to everyone on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Soilse wrote: »
    Have been following this posting for a while now and have found the advice invaluable. First time GFer so suffering with nerves pretty badly this week the tapering has not been helping at all. To make it worse have a bad dose of hayfever at the mo turning up for work in tears despite double dosing myself always make for an interesting entrance:D
    Have so far spent 10hrs trying to practice taking a tyre off and am defeated managed to create a puncture instead so its off to the bike shop for me.

Re. accommodation I had to cancel a room in McCarthys B&B if anyone wants to give a ring may still be available was a family room.

Dam why didnt I see this earlier! Tried ringing them there but they said there is nothing available. Must be people snapping at accomodation like rabbid dogs! me included!:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Wreck wrote: »
    bowel movements

Got 4m in this am at 6am , more by default than plan. Was worth it thou ,

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭watergal

yop wrote: »
    Bit shocking really, all for 4th place. If she had only took on water on the first 14km run she would have sound ;)

really wish I hadn't watched that !! haven't done any excercise since Monday due to work and won't get out tonight either... just hoping the fitness lasts til Sat !

I'll be cycling miss daisy on Sat and I'm damn proud. Will give ye all a wave when ye go by. I expect I'll be jogging with the bike for a lot of the time, but I'll prob be quicker judging by the way I cycle !

am in 6.30 wave

I hope I get to meet some of you over the weekend - I'm staying in the Castlecourt Hotel Friday and Saturday. My two sisters, and my two daughters are coming down on the train on Saturday to cheer me over the finish line (or visit me in Castlebar Hospital, according to my elder sister!) So keep an eye out for us, and identify yourselves to us!

I'll be in the castlecourt too. I'm sure no matter how much pain I'm in I'll manage to shuffle to the bar in the afternoon/early evening Sat & get some grub in too, so don't be a stranger !

am having my dinner at 6.30 on Fri night in the restaurant...couldn;t get 7pm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Best of luck to all the boardies doing the race:)

Im in the 05:30 wave and starting at 7 so hopefully ill be finished by 12:30 with a total time of 5:30 which would be the same as last year.

Staying in hotel westport and planning on spending the rest of the day recovering in the jacussi so anyone staying in hotel westport, if you see a black haired guy asleep in the jacussi just make sure im still breathing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Might be worth picking a time and Venue for Sat night to put some real names and faces to the not so real names on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

Good Luck on Saturday everyone, thread has being great last couple months. It helps knowing what training other people are doing and what gear/gels/bikes etc they are using.
    I'm in the 7am so might see of you, I'll be the guy that looks like he'll really doesn't want to there at the start line and cursing the my friend for pulling out last week :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Might be worth picking a time and Venue for Sat night to put some real names and faces to the not so real names on here.

+1. Not a bad idea at all this.

Also, I heard that there is gonna be a live video feed from the top of the reek to a big screen in the octagon in Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Good Luck to one and all & thanks for all the top tips! I am in 8am wave but will probably take at least 8 hours due to the mountain bike ... :( Just putting together my food pack now & getting very excited... will be wearing bright pink! (to match the colour of my face during the race!)

Cant believe they will be showing people on telly from top of the reek! thats just mean....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

How about hotel westport at about 9??:D:D:D:D

If last year is anything to go by i wont make it much furthur:eek:

Advertisement