Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's the stuff I'll be using, I find it quite good but hard to stop yourself taking big gulps as the Citrus one is quite refreshing.

Aye, it might have to be replaced by FatFrogs on Sat nite :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Oh ya, read there again, there is a 500m run from final bike lay off to Mecca at the end ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

yop wrote: »
    Oh ya, read there again, there is a 500m run from final bike lay off to Mecca at the end ;)

500m sprint I think you mean :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thats class! Should enjoy a nice dash to the finish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I am so nervous now just by reading all your posts!!
    I use a combo of lucozade sport mixed with water, Jaffa cakes and bananas to keep me fueled usually. Now I am starting to doubt that this will be enough with all the talk if nunns and dioralyte!! I tried dioralyte once after a bad dose of food poisoning and it made me gag.
    Are there any electrolytes in lucozade sport or should I take something else?

I did the Connemara challenge and jog in the bog with the above combo but GF is a good bit longer!

Any suggestions?

By the way, where is the race finishing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Thats class! Should enjoy a nice dash to the finish!!!

Yeah on my hands and knees;)

new2biking wrote: »
    Yeah on my hands and knees;)

Oh you might be surprised how you will react if someone is looking like they might pass you before the line!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

darabbit wrote: »
    I use a combo of lucozade sport mixed with water, Jaffa cakes and bananas to keep me fueled usually. Now I am starting to doubt that this will be enough with all the talk if nunns and dioralyte!! I tried dioralyte once after a bad dose of food poisoning and it made me gag.

I did the Connemara challenge and jog in the bog with the above combo but GF is a good bit longer!

Any suggestions?

Best to go with what your used to using. Introducing new things on the day of the event can lead to trouble if your body/belly does not like the new stuff and some people dont take to gels/nunns/nrg bars.

I have used all types of bars/gels etc and in my experience banannas, bagles, doughnuts and a few mini moros can be just as good as all the fancy bars and gels.

In fact for the west wicklow roar i only used gels and nrg bars and with about 10km to go my body couldnt take any more sugar and was craving a slice of bread or a bananna just to feel like there was something in my stomach.

Stcik to what works for you and you should be fine;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

With regards to energy bars:

Are Nutri-grain bars any good? What else is recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

darabbit wrote: »

Any suggestions?

Not sure about there being electrolytes in Lucozade sport but mixing it 50/50 with water is recommended by some pros alright, think I heard of it via rugby
    Takes the sweetness out of it alright so maybe try it tonight see what you think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Wonkagirl wrote: »

Only looking at this now, I like to race clean ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Only looking at this now, I like to race clean ! :D

HA! didnt watch the full clip so missed that bit!

did you see this clip ThisR- as posted by nerraw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTn1v5TGK_w

unreal stuff!

Here's the clip that rebel (i think it was) referred to:

http://www.tv3.ie/ireland_am.php?video=26057&locID=1.65.74

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I live about 2 miles outside westport so if anyone has any last minute emergencies feel free to pm me and I'll help if I can. I can't offer accomodation as we already have a family staying but I have a reasonable workshop/ shed and tools if you need repairs or adjustments. Just a little know-how an well. I also offer local knowledge, advice and spiritual guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Man, I'm getting excited now! Last year, I was nervous as hell beforehand, but I am looking forward to this one. I've had a bit of an interrupted past few weeks, training-wise, due to injury and being home alone with two young boys! I went out for a short run yesterday as I've replaced last year's Salomons for a lighter pair of Inov-8 Roclite 295s. It was a 4.7 mile run, a mixture of road and trails but the shoes felt great. I went out as kitted for the day, backpack on, wearing a tri-suit and a short-sleeve base layer.

I'm not sure what my food plan for the day is as yet. Porridge and banana in the morning, and perhaps a Mule energy bar. I'm not sure if I'll bother this year with putting the bladder in the back pack. I was thinking of doing the run without drink, and having a gel and some water at the kayak timeout. I plan to have another gel when I get on the bike, and perhaps another Mule bar when I get out on the main Leenane-Westport road at the latter part of the first cycle, as it's a pretty easy place to have a bite to eat. Also, I plan to have two bottles on the bike, containing a bottle of water containing High-5 Zero electrolyte and chia seeds. The gels are SIS Smart 1 gels. I'll take the third gel before heading the Reek and take a half-full bottle with me off the bike. That should be it for nutrition (a strange word considering some of the gunk being consumed!), I'm holding on to a fourth gel just in case I feel I need it after coming down from Cruach Phádraig.

My other dilemma this year was the same as last, toe clips or cleats. I had made my mind up to go with the cleats again this year, but a flurry of posts on this thread have/had me confused. I'm sticking to my guns, though, and cleats it is.

On a slight down note, I have a sharp pain in my knee since yesterday. Physio says it's tight muscle bearing down on the kneecap (which I've had before), and he's done some work on it that should see me right for the big day.

Also, if anyone is looking for a bed in the B and B at the start line by the beach in Renvyle, PM me.

Looking forward to this loads. I'll be wearing a Trysport.ie green and grey tri-suit with a maroon tshirt under it, so if you're in the 5:30 wave, or if you see me suffering during the day, please introduce yourself! Good luck everyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Anyone in the 8:30 wave??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

snailsong wrote: »
    I live about 2 miles outside westport so if anyone has any last minute emergencies feel free to pm me and I'll help if I can. I can't offer accomodation as we already have a family staying but I have a reasonable workshop/ shed and tools if you need repairs or adjustments. Just a little know-how an well. I also offer local knowledge, advice and spiritual guidance.

Any chance of a massage afterwards:D

nope, 6.30..

excited now too ronan. like yourself, more excited than last yr. More up for it, and more aware of my strengths and weaknesses. Also, we know we can go the distance, so that helps. Last yr i kept 'fearing' that i'd hit a wall, but i didnt really. Watch now i'll go flat out for the first half as a result this yr, and hit the wall on CP!!

best of luck one and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone in the 8:30 wave??

Yip, me. I know of at least 2 others in that wave too, probably more. That could be a problem though as it may be hard to run your own race when you know there's people you know and you want to compete against them !

Yip, me. I know of at least 2 others in that wave too, probably more. That could be a problem though as it may be hard to run your own race when you know there's people you know and you want to compete against them !

Completely! i know a good few in my wave too- would nearly prefer to be on my own, but then maybe the competitive element will spur us on!!

• Advertisement

HA! didnt watch the full clip so missed that bit!

did you see this clip ThisR- as posted by nerraw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTn1v5TGK_w

unreal stuff!

Bit shocking really, all for 4th place. If she had only took on water on the first 14km run she would have sound ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

is there garmin stats for the run from the beach to kayak?

was looking on thread can only find the cycle (CKPorts one)

thanks! bit late i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Bit shocking really, all for 4th place. If she had only took on water on the first 14km run she would have sound ;)

Must revisit "no water for first 14k" strategy.... :eek::eek::eek:

yeah me too and 3 of my mates, there'll be no shutting us up, so u'l have to run faster trying to get away from us:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Wonka, what type of time are you looking to do it in?

Wonka, what type of time are you looking to do it in?

anything with a 5 before it please god.. about 5'50 i reckon. did it in 6.23 last yr with feck all training and a healing broken elbow and a hybrid. but obviously there's the extra Ks this yr that'll add a bit, but i'm still hoping to knock a GOOD half hour off last yrs time..

you?

I think I'll be leaving the bar like that...

anything with a 5 before it please god.. about 5'50 i reckon. did it in 6.23 last yr with feck all training and a healing broken elbow and a hybrid. but obviously there's the extra Ks this yr that'll add a bit, but i'm still hoping to knock a GOOD half hour off last yrs time..

you?
    I'm not sure, under 6:30 and i'll be happy, running will be my weakest but i'll pass a good few people out once i'm on the bike and CP should be ok.

A question on last years times Wonka, what way are the stages broken down? http://www.gaelforceevents.com/upload/articles/GFW_2009_results.pdf
    There's only 3 stages+ CP do you know the breakdown?

I'm not sure, under 6:30 and i'll be happy, running will be my weakest but i'll pass a good few people out once i'm on the bike and CP should be ok.

A question on last years times Wonka, what way are the stages broken down? http://www.gaelforceevents.com/upload/articles/GFW_2009_results.pdf
    There's only 3 stages+ CP do you know the breakdown?

Stage 1- start - kayak (14km run)
    transition- timeout at kayak
    stage 2- kayak, 2nd run (4km) and first long cycle
    CP- self explan- you dib at start of mountain
    stage 3- final cycle home to westport..

• Advertisement

seanie500 wrote: »
    is there garmin stats for the run from the beach to kayak?

was looking on thread can only find the cycle (CKPorts one)

thanks! bit late i know!

Hi Hi

Here is last years run, ran it a few months back.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35735324

Advertisement