Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I presume most people are heading down on Friday after work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭g0g

I presume most people are heading down on Friday after work?
    Taking Friday and Monday off to make a long weekend of it. Gonna try heading down early tomorrow and maybe manage to avoid queues!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If it was on Saturday morning!!! Weather is fabulous, sun shining, not too cold/warm, no wind!!!

Training over now as of 7.30am, loads of sleep and rest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gmackk

Feck feck fecking bluebells!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im after contracting a throat infection. At work now breaking out in sweats. Can barely swallow when i wake up in the morning. Went out for a gallop last night, could only manage a dis-heartening 3 miles before i started feeling like crap. gonna head to GF anyways, but majorly pissed off that i wont be in good shape for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

thehamo wrote: »
    4 tubes wonkagirl?? Are you cycling over shards of glass to get to CP??:P

ha! no, i'll only carry 2.. just bought 4 while i was at it, just to have like! I'm so relieved that i now know how to change a tube, its taken such a weight off my shoulders. It's easy when you know how, it really is.

yeah heli, headin down after work.. will prob only make reg at 9.30, but so be it- if i was down there really early i'd only get psyched out :):)

Gonna do a gentle slow 6km jog tonite. After 3 nites of slobbery i'm really looking forward to it. Its amazing how the lack of exercise can affect your mental state!

• Advertisement

gmackk wrote: »
    Feck feck fecking bluebells!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im after contracting a throat infection. At work now breaking out in sweats. Can barely swallow when i wake up in the morning. Went out for a gallop last night, could only manage a dis-heartening 3 miles before i started feeling like crap. gonna head to GF anyways, but majorly pissed off that i wont be in good shape for it.
    #

what a royal balls. what are you taking?

i'm a sufferer of throat infections too. I find that a cocktail of lemon juice, vit c tablets and honey really helps. Theres also an excellent spray called DIFLUCAN which works almost instantly. The 2 combined would make a diffference and quickly.

U should be taking 5 vit c tablets per day. YOu could recover from this in 24 hrs given the right care! I'd be bloody raging if i missed it due to illness :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    ha! no, i'll only carry 2.. just bought 4 while i was at it, just to have like! I'm so relieved that i now know how to change a tube, its taken such a weight off my shoulders. It's easy when you know how, it really is.

yeah heli, headin down after work.. will prob only make reg at 9.30, but so be it- if i was down there really early i'd only get psyched out :):)

Gonna do a gentle slow 6km jog tonite. After 3 nites of slobbery i'm really looking forward to it. Its amazing how the lack of exercise can affect your mental state!

Jealous Wonkagirl!!
    What type of tubes do you get?
    Are there certain ones for certain bikes or what??

Heading down this evening...I'm from Mayo so nice to get home early.
    Went down after work last year and it was a disaster, didn't get to bed until after 12 and was up again at 4.30.
    It was a mess last year but apparently they have ironed out all the problems so it will probably be a lot smoother this year.

Going to go for a run around the block when I get home to stretch out the legs!

Fitzi i am so relieved now that i know how to change them, i swear it's such a weight off my shoulders, and honestly it;s not that bad! its much easier than they make it look on youtube. easy when you know how. definitely go into a bike shop- they are all so helpful in general. Once youre buying a few bits and bobs they dont mind spending the time with you. I am so much more excited now that i know how to do it!

Could you go into some place near you in Mayo tomorrow morning and get a demo?

As for the tubes- they're only 6 eur each, and i got 'racer' ones- i assume MTB ones are diffferent, but these seem to be standard enough

your man got a right laugh off me in cyclesurgery i'd say, all my retarded questions and painted nails. when i was heading off he was like ''good luck now on sat'' with a big smile on his face, probably thinking ''your one wont make it out of bed not to mind say 70km around connemara..'' looks can be deceiving boy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Nearly there now!

Hitting the road from Cork to Leenane first thing Friday AM. I will be at the hotel early and am thinking of going for a dip in the pool, no jacuzzi or laps or any of that, is that advisable???

Learned how to change a tube last night too. Surprisingly easy! Thanks to Youtube and my brother for the assistance. The chain thingy is way beyond me at the moment so I will leave that to the Gods.........no chain problems please!!

In case I don't get a chance to say it later.........Best of luck to all the boardies and if I get to the finish line it is thanks partially to all the advise here.........but mainly to my own hard work :D:D:D

rebelreded wrote: »
    Nearly there now!

Hitting the road from Cork to Leenane first thing Friday AM. I will be at the hotel early and am thinking of going for a dip in the pool, no jacuzzi or laps or any of that, is that advisable???

Learned how to change a tube last night too. Surprisingly easy! Thanks to Youtube and my brother for the assistance. The chain thingy is way beyond me at the moment so I will leave that to the Gods.........no chain problems please!!

we've a jacuzzi and pool too, i'm gonna do about 5 breaststroke laps and sit in the jacuzzi for 20 mins.. will help us sleep as well!

the tube change is surprisingly easy isnt it! shouldnt take more than 5 mins like, so it's not the end of the world if we do get a puncture. The bit that takes the longest is refitting the tyre, but that's not even that bad once you get a rhythm going.

I'm really not thinking about the chain bit- as i said in earlier post, just dont go changing gears while you're out of the saddle. I've never in my life had chain problems, so i'm thinking it would be UBER bad luck if it started on sat. touching would with every available orifice as we speak!

• Advertisement

Fitzi i am so relieved now that i know how to change them, i swear it's such a weight off my shoulders, and honestly it;s not that bad! its much easier than they make it look on youtube. easy when you know how. definitely go into a bike shop- they are all so helpful in general. Once youre buying a few bits and bobs they dont mind spending the time with you. I am so much more excited now that i know how to do it!

Could you go into some place near you in Mayo tomorrow morning and get a demo?

As for the tubes- they're only 6 eur each, and i got 'racer' ones- i assume MTB ones are diffferent, but these seem to be standard enough

your man got a right laugh off me in cyclesurgery i'd say, all my retarded questions and painted nails. when i was heading off he was like ''good luck now on sat'' with a big smile on his face, probably thinking ''your one wont make it out of bed not to mind say 70km around connemara..'' looks can be deceiving boy:D

Thanks Wonkagirl!

I might pop up to cyclesurgery at lunch, work nearby so could do it.
    Does it take long?
    I'll be going in a dress with all of the same questions as you so i'm sure they'll think i'm a total barbie aswell!!
    If I can get it all sorted today and just chill tomorrow after registration that would be awesome!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'll be going in a dress with all of the same questions as you so i'm sure they'll think i'm a total barbie aswell!!

I was sure you were a guy :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

i'm gonna do about 5 breaststroke laps and sit in the jacuzzi for 20 mins..
    Even this early in the morning so are so many things wrong with that statement ;) :P

the tube change is surprisingly easy isnt it! shouldnt take more than 5 mins like, so it's not the end of the world if we do get a puncture. The bit that takes the longest is refitting the tyre, but that's not even that bad once you get a rhythm going.

I'm really not thinking about the chain bit- as i said in earlier post, just dont go changing gears while you're out of the saddle. I've never in my life had chain problems, so i'm thinking it would be UBER bad luck if it started on sat. touching would with every available orifice as we speak!

The main time your chain will fall off is when you are changing from big to little cog on the front, if you need to do this make sure you are not in the lowest (easiest) gear on the back, get into the highest (hardest) or 2nd or 3rd hardest gear and then change to the smaller cog on the front.
    Your chain will stay on then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

Had a nice little 7km jog last night and now I'm raring to go:).

Best of luck to everybody, this thread has been an absolute fountain of knowledge, should be fun trying to suss out who are the boardies over the weekend!! I'm aiming for 6 hrs for Gaelforce then a further 6 hours at the bar rehydrating with 8-9 pints of creamy Guinness:D

Is there an after party happening sat nite? If so, where is it??

How many guys have that avatar that Fitzilicious has!!! :D

new2biking wrote: »
    Had a nice little 7km jog last night and now I'm raring to go:).

Best of luck to everybody, this thread has been an absolute fountain of knowledge, should be fun trying to suss out who are the boardies over the weekend!! I'm aiming for 6 hrs for Gaelforce then a further 6 hours at the bar rehydrating with 8-9 pints of creamy Guinness:D

Is there an after party happening sat nite? If so, where is it??

No party, a gang of us met up after the event from the GF Facebook page but a lot were in BAD shape ;)

I dont see avatars/sigs when im logged in.. logging out....

Seen it.. man embarrassed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gmackk

#

what a royal balls. what are you taking?

i'm a sufferer of throat infections too. I find that a cocktail of lemon juice, vit c tablets and honey really helps. Theres also an excellent spray called DIFLUCAN which works almost instantly. The 2 combined would make a diffference and quickly.

U should be taking 5 vit c tablets per day. YOu could recover from this in 24 hrs given the right care! I'd be bloody raging if i missed it due to illness :mad:

Im gonna take your advice Wonkagirl- you're always good for coming up trumps with some stellar advice!!! Vit C tablets, lemon juice and to hell with it.

Why did you think I was a guy??!!
    Am I giving off male vibes with my comments?? ;)

Spotted this comment re the extra run on the GF Facebook page ;)

"land issues beyond our control. However the extra off road part is stunning and very narrow path with drop into the sea so still quite exciting!! "

• Advertisement

Why did you think I was a guy??!!
    Am I giving off male vibes with my comments?? ;)

It must be a Mayo girly thing to give off male vibes lol :D

More of a North Mayo thing hee hee

yop wrote: »
    It must be a Mayo girly thing to give off male vibes lol :D

More of a North Mayo thing hee hee

LOL!!

I'm not from North Mayo!

I reckon it was the air of expertise surrounding my comments!!

gmackk wrote: »
    Im gonna take your advice Wonkagirl- you're always good for coming up trumps with some stellar advice!!! Vit C tablets, lemon juice and to hell with it.

Good work. the sooner you get started the better so get thee to a chemist and a shop!

i never would have thought that fitzi was a fella. maybe cos i recognise the same barbie-biker traits that only a girl would have lol!

oooooh we're all getting a bit rowdy now, i want to be at the starting line already!!!

as for the after party- no talk of one this yr? the pubs of westport will be full of gfers one way or the other. they'll be jammers.com.

sorry for inciting impure thoughts with the breatstroke comments yop:) And thanks for the chain advice- didnt know that one!

LOL!!

I'm not from North Mayo!

I reckon it was the air of expertise surrounding my comments!!

Lol expertise is true! :) My wife is from Cbar and she is an expert on everything lol. :D

Wonkagirl --- Ah, no it was the Jacuzzi I was on about lol.

Lol expertise is true! :) My wife is from Cbar and she is an expert on everything lol. :D

Wonkagirl --- Ah, no it was the Jacuzzi I was on about lol.

I'm also from Cbar....we are experts on EVERYTHING!! :D:D

Also on the guy thing....what guy would call themselves Fitzilicious??!!

Wonkagirl....were you in Cycle surgery for long?
    Just wondering if I can make it up at lunch?

Lol you would be suprised the number of lads who would lol

I think I actually might know who u are now, if your the same Fitz my sis (MG) mentioned you were doing it I think. Your older brother initial is SF? ;)

oh god yeah you could cover it on a lunchbreak alright- where are you coming from, blackrock or sandyford or somewhere? park in the tesco car park above ground, thats where the CS is, beside elverys and the big bookstore above ground, know where i mean?

i might have been lucky, it was empty last nite when i was there, but you should be fine. i've been in there 3 times now in total (as i bought my bike from there) and they are incredibly helpful. not the cheapest i'm quite sure, but i dont mind paying when it comes with a top notch service.

the tube change itself takes about 4 mins, no word of a lie, he showed me how to do it then i did it myself.. really nice guys there. try and put the blinkers on downstairs when youre passing all the lovely northface gear, i could have dropped 600 quid easily, gorgeous snazzy black rain jackets with white and red trim..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

just a few questions

thinkin i will bring bout 200ml of water in bladder startin off just , will there be a cue for water at : croagh patrick/delphi ?

on bike will have two bottles bout 1ltr & half in total , one with water the other with dioralyte , will this cover me liquid wise on the bike ?

intenting on takin oat powerbar on bike , gel before CP on bike too and Gel at top of CP , will this be enough ?

what are ye wearin out to dropoff , it will be cold standing round for an hour , can you leave discarded gear somewhere ?

oh god yeah you could cover it on a lunchbreak alright- where are you coming from, blackrock or sandyford or somewhere? park in the tesco car park above ground, thats where the CS is, beside elverys and the big bookstore above ground, know where i mean?

i might have been lucky, it was empty last nite when i was there, but you should be fine. i've been in there 3 times now in total (as i bought my bike from there) and they are incredibly helpful. not the cheapest i'm quite sure, but i dont mind paying when it comes with a top notch service.

the tube change itself takes about 4 mins, no word of a lie, he showed me how to do it then i did it myself.. really nice guys there. try and put the blinkers on downstairs when youre passing all the lovely northface gear, i could have dropped 600 quid easily, gorgeous snazzy black rain jackets with white and red trim..

Out of interest, did they tell you to slightly inflate the tube before you put it back into the wheel? Been doing that and it goes in a a tad quicker, also found taking the tire off totally when replacing the new tube.
    God be with the days of spoons and a basin of water ;)

• Advertisement

Lol you would be suprised the number of lads who would lol

I think I actually might know who u are now, if your the same Fitz my sis (MG) mentioned you were doing it I think. Your older brother initial is SF? ;)

That's right!!
    I can't think what MG you on about....is she from Cbar?
    Small world eh!!

Thanks Wonkagirl, yeah going from Sandyford so should get it done!!

Advertisement