Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

How about hotel westport at about 9??:D:D:D:D

If last year is anything to go by i wont make it much furthur:eek:

Prize giving is at 8pm on the Octagon , I am sure CKWPORT/Wonkagirl et al will be there or thereabouts in the shake up at the end so might want to be there to collect in person . If for no other reason as PRO's for the event.:)

Time doesn't bother me , town centre or hotel bar is good as it will be quiter initially .
    Should we all wear pink carnations or just pin our C02 canisters to our lapels:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Tried strapping runners to the bag for the cycle but the bag doesn't feel right. Given that I will be walking with the bike a good bit I'm going to just stick to my trusted mizunos for the whole lot.

I had a sachet of dioralyte earlier and it reminded me of dodgy stomachs when I was a child. Throwing in a few drops of mi wadi did the trick so I'll have one bottle of that mix on the bike and one bottle of water.

Gettin nervous now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Just wondering if anyone heading back to Dublin on Sunday would like some company - i.e. give me a lift? It'll be just me and my bag as my bike will be coming home on Monday. Happy to share petrol costs etc. PM please.

Might be worth picking a time and Venue for Sat night to put some real names and faces to the not so real names on here.

Man I'd love to meet the people on this thread and thank you guys in person for all the advice and support. Would be cool to put some faces to the posts as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'd also love to meet up, i may come back to westport but as i will be heading to Ballycastle after it i wont be able to unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Hey,

I am travelling over from London in the morning for GFW.

Unfortunately I have had a problem with accomodation and now have nowhere to stay for Fri/Sat.

If anyone has accomodation/a free bed/ couch to sleep on could you please PM me.

Happy to pay, cook and wash in return.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Prize giving is at 8pm on the Octagon ,

Cud be an idea to meet there at 8 clicks ;) I am sure we will all stand out with the nackered heads on us ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

watergal wrote: »
    I hope I get to meet some of you over the weekend - I'm staying in the Castlecourt Hotel Friday and Saturday. My two sisters, and my two daughters are coming down on the train on Saturday to cheer me over the finish line (or visit me in Castlebar Hospital, according to my elder sister!) So keep an eye out for us, and identify yourselves to us!

I'll be in the castlecourt too. I'm sure no matter how much pain I'm in I'll manage to shuffle to the bar in the afternoon/early evening Sat & get some grub in too, so don't be a stranger !

am having my dinner at 6.30 on Fri night in the restaurant...couldn;t get 7pm :(

OOPS! I forgot to book a table at the restaurant, well Im paying for the gaelforce deal they're offering so they can give me a bucket full of pasta in the lobby, I don't mind:)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Wreck wrote: »
    Man I'd love to meet the people on this thread and thank you guys in person for all the advice and support. Would be cool to put some faces to the posts as well.

It would for sure, and hopefully we can manage it. it's a pity we dont all have boards wristbands that some people have..

with 3000 people taking part and a further 7000 apparently in town for the adv festival, it might be hard to organise- what would ideal is if we could get a corner at the octagon (where's that??)

god i cant wait to lash into the gargle that evening!

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    It would for sure, and hopefully we can manage it. it's a pity we dont all have boards wristbands that some people have..

with 3000 people taking part and a further 7000 apparently in town for the adv festival, it might be hard to organise- what would ideal is if we could get a corner at the octagon (where's that??)

Shudve all bought the boards.ie cycle jerseys that are doing the rounds.

• Advertisement

God, i'll tell you what, i'm feeling rotten and horrible from the carbloading. i feel about 5 mths pregnant. i think ive overdone it! or started too early or something.. the lack of exercise isnt helping. Cant wait for sunday to stop eating bagels and pasta. It's my own fault of course, i started too early and then lost control of my blood sugars by about tuesday, and it was all a bit late!

a bit like the way when you start taking the energy gels, you have to finish the race by taking them every 30 mins or ur blood sugars collapse- that's what ive done with bagels and pasta:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks again to all for the help/advice over the past few weeks!

Just pumped the bike tyres up to about 105 psi - after recently having a tube explode in my face I was bricking it for some reason that the whole tyre might explode under the pressure, but so far so good!:)

That sounds like a great idea with the CP broadcast thing if it's really happening!? I have no idea when to tell my wife I'll be finishing, but if she keeps an eye on that screen wherever it is she'll have a rough idea!

I'll be in the 08:30 wave in a bright yellow ss cycle jersey! All you early people go well of the course if you need to relieve yourselves!:rolleyes:

Best of luck to everyone and fingers crossed for some nice weather!

God, i'll tell you what, i'm feeling rotten and horrible from the carbloading. i feel about 5 mths pregnant. i think ive overdone it! or started too early or something.. the lack of exercise isnt helping. Cant wait for sunday to stop eating bagels and pasta. It's my own fault of course, i started too early and then lost control of my blood sugars by about tuesday, and it was all a bit late!

a bit like the way when you start taking the energy gels, you have to finish the race by taking them every 30 mins or ur blood sugars collapse- that's what ive done with bagels and pasta:rolleyes:

We've only got to eat pasta twice more, lunch and dinner tomorrow - that thought is keeping me going at the moment!

4cast for saturday looking pretty good?

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Westport/forecasts/latest

...caveat being that the west of ireland weather is notoriously changeable and also very micro.. but still, taint looking too bad!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I went out to put the bike into the car to head to registration and fuk me the wheel was as flat as pancake!!
    Considering that I hadn't been on the bike since last sunday but when I got the bike sorted out last night it was A1.
    So I cud b in for another shock on Sat!!!! Please God I won't .

Very easy to reg in fairness. Fields will be in a mess if there is loads of rain though.

4cast for saturday looking pretty good?

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Westport/forecasts/latest

...caveat being that the west of ireland weather is notoriously changeable and also very micro.. but still, taint looking too bad!

I hope you weather forecasters are better than these!!!

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=EUR;IE;EI016;WESTPORT;&metric=1&fday=3

27km/h winds and 59 km/h gusts!!!!! :eek:

christ, 60km gusts! jesus, wouldnt that be enough to knock a 9 stone girl off her bike???

what way is the weather now yop?

u guys are so lucky to have registered.. were there many bikes at the drop off? and did they check kit?

Anybody know the easiest way to registration via the N4 from Dublin??

new2biking wrote: »
    Anybody know the easiest way to registration via the N4 from Dublin??

galway, oughterard, maam cross, leenane.. few km from there to killary adv centre.. it's only about 90 mins from galway.

galway, oughterard, maam cross, leenane.. few km from there to killary adv centre.. it's only about 90 mins from galway.

Ur something else Wonkagirl, I think I'm in love with you;)

• Advertisement

christ, 60km gusts! jesus, wouldnt that be enough to knock a 9 stone girl off her bike???

what way is the weather now yop?

u guys are so lucky to have registered.. were there many bikes at the drop off? and did they check kit?

There was shag all bikes, my timing chip is 186 so not sure if they are giving them out in order.

Weather is currently pissing it down and a good strong wind :)

Wouldn't panic, most mornings this week have been A1 so all going well it will be the same on Sat.

new2biking wrote: »
    Ur something else Wonkagirl, I think I'm in love with you;)

hahahahahahah

o0hhhhh i'm really hyper dont encourage me!!

the thing is- if youre going to westport, ur better off going the other way, via castlebar.. which is prob the way i'll go home on sunday morning.. but to go killary for reg on friday, ur better off to go via ngaillaimh...

would like the local lads to agree or disagree though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Wonkagirl, there's 8 corners on the Octogon. Some towns have town squares but we're that bit better over here:D

For a town centre pub I would tentatively suggest John McGings on High street. Everywhere will be busy as you say but John's has a good beer garden wher we might get some standing room. I may not get into town myself as i have guests for the w-end and there are also babysitting issues but if i get to town that's where I'll be. As a local that's the pub I recommend. Just don't blame me if you don't like it. it's about 100 meters from the octagon.

So the octagon is the town square?? i thought it was a pub!! jeez yis are very fancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Right, im off to bed. Besta luck on Saturday everyone! Here's to a good race and finshing sub 2 hours.

Already looking forward to starting training on Monday for next year!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

I'm so excited I don't think I'll sleep for the next two nights !!
    Feel like a kid at xmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

thehamo wrote: »
    Right, im off to bed. Besta luck on Saturday everyone! Here's to a good race and finshing sub 2 hours.

Already looking forward to starting training on Monday for next year!:P

sub 2 hours !!
    I hope that's a typo.......
    what energy gels are you using ? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

So the octagon is the town square?? i thought it was a pub!! jeez yis are very fancy!
    I feel sorry for the poor people in Ranelagh with their triangle. just three sides, they must have an inferiority complex.

The octagon is in fact a monument but the area around it is also called the octagon, as it is octagonal with some of the sides being formed by streets. Westport is one of the few towns that was designed by an architect, James Wyatt in the 18th century i believe. someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Genius here decided to practice puncture repair on back tyre this eve. So I took of the wheel and I saw a spring go flying but for the life of me I couldn't find it. Anyhow, i fixed my fake puncture...yeah...a minor victory but I couldn't get the d@mm wheel back on. Hands covered in grease, I was not a happy camper! I finally managed t get wheel back on but gears were all messed up...argh..patience running low! My other half walks in to kitchen and picks up the missing spring and asks if it was part of the bike...@'£&£@!!

He offers to help but I, being as stuburn as I am declined. Anyway, after another half hour swearing at bike I finally sorted it. I think I would prefer to run back to Westport with the bike than to go through that again!

Good luck to everyone on Sat!! I hope mother nature is kind to us.

Looking forward to a couple of bevs in town after..could have done with one this eve:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Good luck to all you Gaelforcers on Saturday

.......and enjoy:)

Advertisement