Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭greenplain

i agree this thread has been great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

Triptych wrote: »
    I have a newbie question here.

If you're throwing dioralyte into a litre bladder of water, would you mix it according to the standard solution of 1 sachet per 200 mill, or would you just put in 1 sachet?

I'm a regular consumer of dioralyte as hangover preventative and have always mixed it according to directions. (it's a miracle worker) However, I'm just wondering if drinking 5 sachets is overload?

If i was you i wouldnt be putting Nuun or dioralyte into the bladder. at least if you put into bottles on your bike you can wash out properly quite difficcult to wash out the bladder and tubing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

W123-80's wrote: »
    Nearly there!

I tried to go for a run last night and just couldn't get the head right. Going to force myself to complete a handy 5-6k tonight.

I feel fat and unfit all week..:o

So do i - the resting business is doing my head in, coupled with the carbloading, i feel really fat and horrible! i'd've normally done at least 2 good workouts by this time of a wednesday.. i think i am going to go for a swim tonite, no running, you really shouldnt be running tonite W123. you'd be better to go into sat with fresh legs.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Excuseless wrote: »
    I have done a bit of a "Race Formguide" on my website
    http://www.msai.ie/adventure-race-ireland-organiser-points-series.php

The result spreadsheets won't open for me. I missed the first WAR but got a good result in the West Wicklow ROAR (although that was just sports, I suspect points are only awarded for expert).

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    For inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTn1v5TGK_w

That'll be us...heading to Matt Molloys

jesus that is UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    So do i - the resting business is doing my head in, coupled with the carbloading, i feel really fat and horrible! i'd've normally done at least 2 good workouts by this time of a wednesday.. i think i am going to go for a swim tonite, no running, you really shouldnt be running tonite W123. you'd be better to go into sat with fresh legs.

Best of luck!

Disagree with you there Wonkagirl, something short and snappy would be the order of the day IMO, no point in going into Saturday stale having not run in 3/4 days...IMO 30 minutes of jogging with some 30 second/1 minute pickups and some strides would be better than doing nothing...

trinewbie wrote: »
    Disagree with you there Wonkagirl, something short and snappy would be the order of the day IMO, no point in going into Saturday stale having not run in 3/4 days...IMO 30 minutes of jogging with some 30 second/1 minute pickups and some strides would be better than doing nothing...

Interesting.. maybe i'm taking the 'rest up' thing too seriously then?
    what do the rest of you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Totally agree. It really messes with your head not training for the last week especially after such a long build up. You feel like you'll lose all that fitness.

On another note I've been trying to get rid of a cold I picked up after the Hellfire event. Tried rest, oranges, lemons, honey, sudafed and lempsip max and one week on I'm still not well. Any advice/ quick fixes welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Rinker wrote: »
    Totally agree. It really messes with your head not training for the last week especially after such a long build up. You feel like you'll lose all that fitness.

On another note I've been trying to get rid of a cold I picked up after the Hellfire event. Tried rest, oranges, lemons, honey, sudafed and lempsip max and one week on I'm still not well. Any advice/ quick fixes welcome.
    Manuka honey in a hot whiskey at bedtime

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

That's brilliant! very enteraining read..

Do you automatically get AR points if you take part in the qualifying races, or do you need to register with MSAI or anything like that?

Will see on Sat how accurate it might be as only my opinion after all :eek:
    Sure to be the most competitive field ever though for sure.

AR points awarded to top 100 in Expert races and GF

Winner gets 100, second 99, etc

Ladies results are separated out to avoid imbalance of using overall positions so first lady gets 100, etc.

Mens results are suitably adjusted to take account of any ladies that have finished in amongst the top 100 men.

Plan would be to get the "series" going properly next year with Expert and Sports counting for separate rankings, more races included, etc.

Not sure what has happened the links to the points tables as they were working - one for my webmaster to sort ASAP!

• Advertisement

tks excuseless..

whats your opinion around resting up? i'd love to go for a 5km run tonite but am unsure.. i thought i shoudl be resting completely but it's wrecking my buzz!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Anyone want to share driving down or got room for one?

I may end up having to drive down myself, and was wondering if anyone is looking for lift/wants to share petrol costs, or has room for myself and my bike.

Please PM me if so.

Jesus so many ppl are sick after last wednesday, Im personally an idiot, felt it coming on before the race and raced anyway. Such a foolish move felt so bad during and after race and now Im completely goosed with Flu and more than likely missing GF as a result..praying for a miracle overnight recovery tonight :(

tks excuseless..

whats your opinion around resting up? i'd love to go for a 5km run tonite but am unsure.. i thought i shoudl be resting completely but it's wrecking my buzz!

short jog or an hour on the bike spinning the legs....20 minute jog 2mrw..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Youngatheart

tks spurs, nerraw and new2biking. that's all very helpful indeed.

i think i'll go with the pump rather than the co2 for now. just sounds easier (although longer and more laborious).

halfords are open late tomorrow nite so if my trip to cyclesurgery fails tonite for supplies, halfords will get a go. I would way rather support local irish guys, but im under too much pressure now as i was away last wend. halfords will be well stocked i'd imagine.

Hi Wonkagirl, and others. I've been looking at your comments about pumps and CO2 cartridges, and for what it's worth, my view, as a newbie, is that you should pack the CO2 stuff. I had never used it before last Monday night (the night of the disaster with the valve!!) but I tried them that night and they're brilliant. They inflate your tire to a pressure you will never get to with a bike pump, and do so in a couple of seconds. they're not very dear - I paid €15 for the attachment thingy which came with one cartridge, and I bought a pack of three cartridges for about €10. I'll have a pump on the bike as well, but the CO2 stuff takes up hardly any space, and the weight is negligible. I practiced changing the tube again last night on the whell I got fixed, and it's pretty easy, once you have the right levers, and don't get stuck with a jammed valve ring!

I thought about a chain break, etc, but I'm going to take my chances - I doubt if at this stage I could master that. I looked at it on Youtube a few times, but it looks very fiddly, so I f my chain goes on Saturday, I'll have a long walk! fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 An Fear Fada

tks excuseless..

Just back from a handy 5k and feel the better of it. Tomorrow and Friday won't do anything strenuous though. Did the same last year and felt fresh at the start line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 An Fear Fada

An Fear: clips are easy enough to get use to but you would notice the reduction in power transfer when cycling . the trail runners are good as the toe is smaller than my normal runners so they fit better.
    Have noticed a little cramp setting in on the right foot a little but I can usually stretch it out on the bike easily enough
    might pick up a set tomorrow and see. Think they might be the best.

Just back from the Cyclesurgery in dundrum. I now know successfully now how to change a tube- and it's NOT THAT HARD!! fyi fitzi/rebel etc!!

I ended up buying a hand pump for now, guy in store reckoned for a novice that things are complicated enough without throwing that in the mix. i pumped it up myself, and it was actually grand. got it up to 115 fairly easily.

oh, and he told me it's horse**** that tyres can expand on a car journey. his words were ''is it the tour de france you're taking part in'' i had so many questions! boards.ie has me turned into a maniac- but it's all good!

they were v helpful in cyclesurgery.. got 4 tubes, padded undershorts, levers and the snazzy undershorts all for 75 eur. i'm sure it'd be cheaper on wiggle, but this guy was terribly helpful (matt) and spent a lot of time with me so that's invaluable imo. I'd say he thought i was the biggest barbie-biker ever- had perfectly manacured nails and all and he was like -''you'll be bringing the glamour back to gaelforce anyway!'' scarleh

went in to get my 'J' energy bars then in the healthstore, and 12 x 2 ltr bottles of water in lidl on the way home- prehydrate and posthydrate!

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

have conceded to a 20 min jog also tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Best of luck!

some upper body workouts help with this, even a small session of weights get you feeling like you've done something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Think we are all the same on the taper , but to be honest if your feeling restless and guilty :its working :

On the C02 cartridges went shopping on Tuesday for them and couldn't help notice that the guys that make the cartridges also make ordinary pumps so they cant be that good or they would stop making pumps ....
    While they are great I would screw up 3-4 catridges before I get it right and I am sure my elbow ill never fail .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

wouldn't like to see anyone stuck in Westport so if anyone has an emergency and I can help anyone out with a spare room or a large lawn to camp on let me know (pm me ).Live 3 miles from Westport on Galway side.
    Have family and kids so would have to be blend in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

seanie500 wrote: »
    If i was you i wouldnt be putting Nuun or dioralyte into the bladder. at least if you put into bottles on your bike you can wash out properly quite difficcult to wash out the bladder and tubing though.

Not hard at all. Get some Milton and steep it for an hour or so. Clean as a whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g0g

CKWPORT wrote: »
    If you are pressing lap and using 1km about laps, then you are going to have 70+ sections on your route when you view it.
    I wouldn't use autolap.
    I would just press lap when exiting a transition and that way your route will appear like this (connemara adventure race) as opposed to this (GF cycle 1 where I forgot autolap was on).
    I think what I did in Connemara was the best way, as it is much easier to read the splits/laps afterwards and it will correspond with the splits when the results go up on site or if we get a print out at the finish line.
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks again! Tried it out this evening and works fine. I was worried that using start/stop would also qualify as a lap change but tested it and it doesn't. Think I'll use "Other" mode on Saturday instead of marking it as run or cycle. Hope I can finish the stupid thing now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Think I mentioned this before - zinc with Vitamin C helped me before a 10k in April - helped me fight off a cold.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Only new to the Garmin setup, but IF you wanted to keep an eye on ur time per KM for the 1st run, I wud find this handy enough so as to "Try" and keep my 6 min per km, then use the autolap for the 1st section. Then in the timeout, switch off the autolap and hit the lap when u finish each section.

Feel the same about lack of training, due to work haven't managed to get out for run in over a week now but might go for a very slow trot early AM to loosen out. Can't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 theboykidney

Hi,
    What type of bag are people planning on leaving with their bikes over night? and what exactly does 'securely attached' mean?!
    Cheers,
    TBK

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

not leaving any bag tbh. Just the helmet and bike shoes attached to the pedals.

Might leave 2 gels in the shoes but outside of that I won't be leaving anything. Unlike last year! I left the sink with it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

In terms of tapering, I'm far from an expert, but I did listen to the marathon podcast posted earlier in the thread, and the consensus there was to take one extra rest day in the week before the race, and do some light, short sessions on the other days. So I had a rest day on Saturday, played basketball on Sunday, went for a short swim followed by a slow 7 k run on Monday, a very slow 12k run last night and played tag rugby tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to do a short (10k) cycle, mainly to make sure the bike is in good nick, and then possibly a short, slow swim. And a full rest day on Friday.

I have to say, with taking on all the extra carbs, and the slow down in training, I feel great at the moment. A little bit restless, but full of energy and eager for the off. I may not be so eager come 6.00 on Saturday, but at the moment I feel amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Hi,
    What type of bag are people planning on leaving with their bikes over night? and what exactly does 'securely attached' mean?!
    Cheers,
    TBK
    Bag depends on you, if you want to leave extra water, snacks or whatever you can.
    Securely again depends on you, tie it on, insulating tape, duct tape etc. But remember you'll have to get it off on saturday so if it's too secure you'll waste time getting it off.
    For those with a sweet tooth, tape a treat to the crossbar, mars bar or similar will go down a treat for that time when you're thinking why the hell am i here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

they were v helpful in cyclesurgery.. got 4 tubes, padded undershorts, levers and the snazzy undershorts all for 75 eur. i'm sure it'd be cheaper on wiggle, but this guy was terribly helpful (matt) and spent a lot of time with me so that's invaluable imo. I'd say he thought i was the biggest barbie-biker ever- had perfectly manacured nails and all and he was like -''you'll be bringing the glamour back to gaelforce anyway!'' scarleh

4 tubes wonkagirl?? Are you cycling over shards of glass to get to CP??:P

Advertisement