Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you found a wallet with €2,000 in it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

I'd have to hand it in the guilt would eat me alive if I didn't. In the long run it wouldn't be anyway worth it and I'd hope someone would do the same if I lost money. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Years ago in college I lost an envelope containing our rent. There was 6 of us in the house at the time & if I remember correctly it was E1800. Discovered it was missing and was agonising over how to tell housemates or my parents. Knew housemates weren't going to pay again & knew the parents would have to bail me out & would not be impressed. It was in a sealed envelope only marked rent & house number and estate.

It was a Friday evening so I decided I'd by time until Sunday night when then came back. Bout 10pm that night, another student called to the door that evening having found it. To say i was shocked at his honesty was an understatement. I insisted on giving him my share around 300. Obviously he was delighted, told me he could badly do with it and had seriously considered keeping it but his conscience wouldn't let him in the end.

Knowing what that meant to me, I'd always return it to the owner if I could find them. I wouldn't enjoy anything I'd spent it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 music.babe75

Found a wallet on a train before with absolutely no ID, photos cards etc - just money........so kept it - wouldn't trust the guys at the station not to do the same so better off in my hands:D

If there was ID or bank cards I would try and contact the person myself or through the bank to make sure the money was returned to them and not kept the somebody else

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I found a wallet in our university canteen in first year. It contained a load of credit cards and about 1000 american dollars. I was walking up the reception to hand it in when I saw an American girl sobbing on the phone to her mother. Turns out she just got here yesterday and that was her money to get set up with a house etc. I got to hand it back to her in person which was an awesome feeling.

Since then I have left my wallet in all sorts of daft places, countertops of shops on a saturday afternoon, dropped on the ground outside work and every single time it has been returned to me intact. Karma people, karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

Superbus wrote: »
    Handed in a handbag in Subway the other day, always do that since a guy I know found €1000, gave it in to the Gardai, where it wasn't claimed, and he got to keep it.

Not that I got to keep the handbag.
    You thought 'Hmmm a handbag I should bring this to Subway!'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 watch12

was going to edinburgh with my then girlfriend just after the euro came in, found a wallet just after security with maybe 1500 euro in it and boarding cards etc.. the guy was on my flight . tried to find a security area to hand it in to and when i couldnt find one ( would have had to go back through security) i went to the gate and got them to call the guy over the intercom. plane was boarding so i waited as long as i could and then handed it to the serviceair guy at the desk at the gate.. you should have seen the extremely brief look of delight on his face.. i very much doubt the guy ever got his money...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

I'd take the mula home,then it's ebay for me.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Noreen1 wrote: »
    My son found a wad of about 5K lying in the street a few years ago. (He was 10 or 11 at the time.)We made enquiries, and managed to find out who owned it.

Cheeky sod who owned it didn't even say "Thanks", never mind offer a reward.:eek:

This guy had loads of money - the reward part didn't bother me, but if I'd known he wasn't even going to say Thanks, I might have been tempted to give it to charity...........

Noreen
    Charity begins at home...

Would try to find the owner and just in case no one claimed it would be visiting a few websites finding someway to spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Gaudizeit

Found 2 wallets in my lifetime. One with an address in it, and a small bit of cash. Handed it back to the owner. Her father gave a sculpture thing that he makes. Fair play to him.

The other had maybe about €60 in it. No address, and no atm card, or any identification. So I obviously kept it. Rotten wallet too.

If there was no I.D. in it, which is doubtful, with atm cards etc, I'd keep it. Otherwise, I would hand it to the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if i found one with contact details i would return it, but if there werent any, i would keep it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

This post has been deleted.

same applies to the catholic cult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Saibh wrote: »
    Charity begins at home...

Would try to find the owner and just in case no one claimed it would be visiting a few websites finding someway to spend it.

The point is, we went to a lot of trouble to find the owner, and the wee fella was very proud of himself for handing it back. Just a plain "Thank you" would have made his day..... instead the miserable old git who lost the money just grabbed it and stormed off. It was pretty hard to explain to a child why someone would behave like that.

I'd still hand money back to its owner if I found some, but examples like this made me understand why some people wouldn't!

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

It's strange, but when I read the thread title first I said to myself, oh I'd definitely keep it no doubt! But as I read through the posts, I realised more and more that whenever I actually do find money or wallets or whatever (yes it has happened a lot!), I always try and find the owner! If somebody found my wallet I'd expect the same tbh, nothing more gutting then losing a wallet, nevermind the cash, the loss of ID's and ATM and laser cards etc, would be annoying enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Found a wallet, not much cash, €35 euro (cash returned as well).. but the owner had umm.. written the CC pin numbers on little labels and stuck them to the back of the cards. Hard to fathom that one out.

Handed it in, got an email to say a charitable donation had been made on my behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    skimmed a couple hundred....

Skimmed = stole, yes ?

Strange how most people OK with stealing the money can't seem to use the word.

I'd hand it back. Karma & God aside, knowing you do the right thing is worth more than cash.

A reward would be nice, but not essential.

A thanks would be a bare minimum, though.....no "thank you" would certainly kill some of the feelgood factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

2gs, thank you very much. Im going to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

JG009 wrote: »
    2gs, thank you very much. Im going to hellAmsterdam.

(my first ever time to "FYP")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I ordered a dominos delivery one Saturday Night, a very rare treat for me and the kids. I handed the delivery guy the money and a little tip. 2 minutes later he is back at my hall door. I had given him two twenty notes by accident instead of one.

His sense of decency really made my week and restored my faith that there are decent human beings in the world:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Well, if the wallet belonged to a Fianna Fáil or Green TD I'd blow the lot on poker to be honest.

Otherwise, ring up the owner and return or failing that hand it in. Karma works both ways so the politicians would deserve it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

What if a hooker dropped the money and u paid her the 2k to do the funky stuff, would that be ok?
    Karma would be you getting full blown AIDS from her.

I would definitely give it back by whatever means. I would likely call the guards and report it, give them my details, but not give it to them. Same for any reception desk etc..
    If pushed I'd give the wallet and then leave a note saying I have the cash. Call to collect etc. Best guess gets it..
    I wouldnt trust another person with that amount of money. Professions are no indication of morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

"Dear diary......jackpot!"

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

I'd hand it back, if you do something nasty it comes back three times on yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

fluffer wrote: »
    Karma would be you getting full blown AIDS from her.

I would definitely give it back by whatever means. I would likely call the guards and report it, give them my details, but not give it to them. Same for any reception desk etc..
    If pushed I'd give the wallet and then leave a note saying I have the cash. Call to collect etc. Best guess gets it..
    I wouldnt trust another person with that amount of money. Professions are no indication of morals.

Maybe so, but nobody knows if you keep it. If a Garda takes it from something handed in, that's job, career and pension gone if caught. Plus, generally speaking, they uphold the law, not shít all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i'd probs say 'pah, have more than that under my mattress at home' n leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I'd find the person and hand it over. And feel good about it.
    Imagine if it was you who lost that money, how relieved would you be to get it back?
    I couldn't take it and live with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

put the 2k on a horse if it win's return the 2k if not well siht happene's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

id post the wallet back to the owner while being 2000 euro richer :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i would split it , half for me half for you :P atleast it wont be on your mind half of the time :p

with the rut im in now i would take it but if i wasnt in a bad rut i was would defo give it back !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

I found a purse with £18 (yes pounds) in it and an I.D when I was 8.

I gave it to the gaurds.

Three days later my mum got a call and returned from the station with a lizard teddy from the owner of the purse.

KARMA!

Advertisement