Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you found a wallet with €2,000 in it

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Handed in a handbag in Subway the other day, always do that since a guy I know found €1000, gave it in to the Gardai, where it wasn't claimed, and he got to keep it.

Not that I got to keep the handbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

tbh if i found two grand today, i would keep it. i wouldn't blow it, i'd get myself out of this insomniac hole of debt i've fallen into. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Where exactly would you be handed this hypothetical 2,000 in to?

The Gardaí...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

i was gonna hand it in until someone mentioned jelly snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

A guy found my lasercard there a few months ago which had two grand on it. He gave it into the bank, text him later saying thanks and I'll send him on some money and he refused.

So if I found a wallet with 2k in it I'd hand it in. Wouldn't expect a reward just a thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

When these threads come around I am always surprised and disappointed at the number of self-confessing thieves on Boards.

I'd hand it in every time. They may be in even worse financial shape than yourself. It may be ransom money for their cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

When these threads come around I am always surprised and disappointed at the number of self-confessing thieves on Boards.

I'd hand it in every time. They may be in even worse financial shape than yourself. It may be ransome money for their cat!

True enough, i think considering the state of our economy and how bad itis for families, id hand it in, in the boom i wouldnt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Hand it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

My son found a wad of about 5K lying in the street a few years ago. (He was 10 or 11 at the time.)We made enquiries, and managed to find out who owned it.

Cheeky sod who owned it didn't even say "Thanks", never mind offer a reward.:eek:

This guy had loads of money - the reward part didn't bother me, but if I'd known he wasn't even going to say Thanks, I might have been tempted to give it to charity...........

Noreen

It would depend entirely on my own financial situation.. If it happened 6 months ago, i'd have kept it. If it happened now, i'd hand it in. Karma owes me somethin good but i'd only take it when I actually need it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

listermint wrote: »
    Karma is a bitch..

hand it in.

:cool:

As much as I like the idea of Karma, it does not exist. How would you explain bad things happening to good people? A topical example would be Madelaine McCann.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I personally do not trust the general public on such matters, and would let the gardai and the premises near where i found it know that I found an undisclosed amount of cash and will return it to it's rightful owner on request.
    If nobody requests...then it's mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

mathie wrote: »
    Wax the lot on hookers

What if a hooker dropped the money and u paid her the 2k to do the funky stuff, would that be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

I was working in a fastfood-restaurant once. (The one with a yellow letter?) :rolleyes:
    And one time there was this suit-guy sitting with his laptop by his side having lunch.

He walked away, and i thought "-Oh, well.. he'll remember he forgot it."

As i was cleaning tables, i kept an eye on the case, incase someone wanted to nab it while he was away.
    Eventually i brought it back behind the counter, to keep it safe.

All in all it's been about an hour since he left. He came bursting to the counter and shouted: "-All right.. one of you lot stole my laptop. Now give it back!!"

Didn't matter that i calmly told him we had it in safe custody, since "-You forgot it."
    Not a thank you, no nothing. Except a bleeping lashing out.

With that in mind.. i'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'd hand it in, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'd hand it in,or if there was an address on the id, stick it in their letterbox if it was close.

I'm too honest for my own good sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Mate of mine used to work in C0ppers.

Regularly he would find all sorts of things and just keep them - guilt free too.

That man never suffered bad karma

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

Lost my wallet a few years back, I was going christmas shopping, 500 punts. No ID, bank card or any means of identifying who it belonged to. Was gutted.

3 weeks later I get a call from a mate who happened to be reading the lost / found section of the local paper and there was an ad for a wallet that was found.

Called the number and described the wallet to the lady on the other end of the line and arranged to meet her. Tried to give her 100 quid for finding it but she wouldn't take it.

Long story short, I'd keep the 2k, F**k them !

I would hand it in to the Gardai. There could be a reward - probably wouldn't be close to the €2,000, but at least I would've gotten it honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If there were pictures of children, I'd hand it back because he's obviously a family man (or someone pretending to be). If there's no pictures, then as far as I'm concerned, there was no cash in that wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Found a wallet awhile ago, the guy had dropped it. He didn't turn around so I went down to pick it up to give it back to him. He turned and saw me and he thought I was nicking it. He shouted "Give me my ****ing wallet!", "I was about to, you dro..", "Yea, whatever mate" snatches wallet and walks off. Charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd be afraid to keep it as it sounds like a drug-dealer's wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I would hand it in and restore someone's faith in humanity.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I actually found a wallet with €110 in it about a year and a half ago.

It had a guy's ID in it so I handed it into the Garda Station, telling them not to give the owner my contact details if he claimed it
    The doughnut shop closed early that day.

I would not hand it into gardai if there was money in it, I simply do not trust them and find it strange that people do trust them so much, I also find it odd the weird trust/faith people put in doctors. I would contact the guy from the details shown in the wallet.

I wonder what happens if you went to the gardai and told them you found it and openly said you do not trust them and left a mobile number for them/the guy to call if he calls in -i.e. refuse to give them the wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I was working in a restaurant and found a handbag with a wallet. Checked wallet some cash but no ID so I put it around the back.

A woman came back a few hours later almost in tears asking if she left it behind, I gave it to her and she was over the moon, gave me 50 euro and a hug.

Personal belongings mean alot to people, If i found 50 quid on the street I`d keep it, but if I found a handbag with 50 quid in it I`d return it instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

turbobaby wrote: »
    As much as I like the idea of Karma, it does not exist. How would you explain bad things happening to good people? A topical example would be Madelaine McCann.
    Thats cos Maddie caused the recession. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

rubadub wrote: »
    The doughnut shop closed early that day.

I would not hand it into gardai if there was money in it, I simply do not trust them and find it strange that people do trust them so much, I also find it odd the weird trust/faith people put in doctors. I would contact the guy from the details shown in the wallet.

I wonder what happens if you went to the gardai and told them you found it and openly said you do not trust them and left a mobile number for them/the guy to call if he calls in -i.e. refuse to give them the wallet.

They insist that you leave whatever you found with them - at least, they do in my local Garda station.......

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

I will shamelessly say that it would spent within 5 minutes of finding the wallet, guilt free and would be delighted with me good luck. :D

Money would be taken out and all other stuff in would be thrown in the nearest dustbin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd give it back because I'm a decent human being. If I didn't get a "thanks" I'd probably call the guy an ungrateful prick, but I wouldn't give it back because I'm hoping for him to give me some money.

Anyone who'd keep it is no better than a common junkie gouger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Id get a custom box of christmas biscuits made up, ONLY pink ones.....id hand the rest in.:cool:

Advertisement