Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you found a wallet with €2,000 in it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Id keep it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i'd go shopping

with the reward i would hopefully receive for handing it in

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Found 800 pound as a youngin' gave it in to the police or some such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im disappointed in myself but i would probably keep it. Its definitely a thing that would haunt you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

You would have to hand it in. Would never get over the guilt otherwise. It's not like you loose anything that you didn't have the day before by handing it it, but imagine the heartache of whoever lost it. I had a wallet taken the other day with €150 in it and I'm still absolutely sick over it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Have you tried to google the guy? He's probably on facebook, or some such. You might get an email address etc. etc. Before handing it anywhere, try to find the guy yourself and give him a call. It's a lot of money to lose. I'd be very thankful to get it back if I lost it.

Whatever about Karma, it's the conscience that I'd be worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm? What's someone doing with 2k cash in their wallet? Probably a drug dealer. Finders keepers then eh.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

tbh if i found two grand today, i would keep it. i wouldn't blow it, i'd get myself out of this insomniac hole of debt i've fallen into. :(
    Two grand is not a lot of debt. Sure in less than 2 months, the free government cash for lazy people would cover that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

this happened to me on my way to see REM at the RDS years ago
    guy in front of me walks up to the ATM,takes out a few hundred in 50 pound notes,pulls his card out,turns the corner and walks away,i was next in the queue and in the ten seconds between taking the money out and turning the corner to find him he was gone,vanished in the crowd

right then a guard walked past and i stopped him,he took the money,put it in his uniform pocket and said he'd take care of it...fecker never even took my name! I'd say he had some session on that little bonus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

el judìo wrote: »
    Two grand is not a lot of debt. Sure in less than 2 months, the free government cash for lazy people would cover that?

eh ten weeks,and that's if you don't eat,drink or pay rent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭joannaman

I'd send them an anonymous IOU telling them that I'm a bit hard up for cash at the moment and that I'll send on the 2 grand eventually when things are looking up. It's better than nothing.

It reminds me of the time a letting agent kept telling me after I moved out of a flat that I would get my deposit back, he just couldn't say when exactly...and I had to threaten legal action and got it back the next day. Actually can we amend this hypothetical situation to be a letting agent loses their wallet with 2k...much more fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

punchdrunk wrote: »
    eh ten weeks,and that's if you don't eat,drink or pay rent!
    ha, I was just having a go!
    Drinking is free in Ireland BTW

FWIW I own about 100 times that in assets, and I would still keep the cash.
    I don't believe in karma or magic men in the sky.

I suspect most people IRL would just keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

joannaman wrote: »
    I'd send them an anonymous IOU telling them that I'm a bit hard up for cash at the moment and that I'll send on the 2 grand eventually when things are looking up. It's better than nothing.

Brian Lenihan is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Id prob hand it in but something is makeing me think its not worth it.

I found a set of car keys next to a car before the car had a load of hilti tools in it i put a message in side the car with my phone number on it on the window telling the owner what garda station i was droping the keys in to and locked it up.

Not even a text to say thanks some people :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

The morality in here is hilarious. I'd like to hear from the same people once they're holding those big 40 crispy orange ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Use the money to find the owner :P

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

I actually found a hand bag a few years age. It was about a week before Christmas and a woman left it on the trolley in the trolley bay! I noticed it and walked over to it. She had all her cards in it and about 5000. She returned 5 minutes later and gave me 100. All her Chrismas money was in it. Another time I found 300 in a shopping centre and handed it up to the customer service desk. Never heard a thing about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

el judìo wrote: »

:confused:

dunno what your point is tbh?

This thread makes me love my visa debit card even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

if you walk around with that much cash in your wallet then you are either loaded or a complete moron. in either case you dont deserve your money back :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

95% of time I would give it back,

but 2k? I might stalk the guy, see if he has

a regular job etc , If looks normal, I would give

it back, if he looked suspicious( well he was carrying 2k in his wallet)

I would give it too some charity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Actually happened to me a couple of years ago. Myself and the wife went to NY for a week and my wallet fell out when i was in a cab. Long story short the cab driver was off duty when i spoke to him and came in from new jersey on a train to return in $1500 in cash still in it plus laser cards and credit cards still intact. There's plenty of honest people out there :):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

I'm training to be a priest so I would give the money to the Vatican and dump the wallet.

Pope Benedict can use all the money he can get in these hard times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Actually happened to me a couple of years ago. Myself and the wife went to NY for a week and my wallet fell out when i was in a cab. Long story short the cab driver was off duty when i spoke to him and came in from new jersey on a train to return in $1500 in cash still in it plus laser cards and credit cards still intact. There's plenty of honest people out there :):):):):)

I would return the wallet, I would hope someone would do the same if it ever happened to me. I would only have bad luck if I didn't and Karma can be a pain in the ass when you go and screw some one over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

After finding the wallet with e2000 I would go on a binge of hot hookers and drink. Then when am all shagged out, with a banging hangover I'll kill Ivor Callely and leave the empty wallet behind at the crime scene.

All you's better hope I dont find your wallets. Grrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

I found ~ 1300 left in a hotel room once a fair few years ago, skimmed a couple hundred and handed it into reception, the guy didnt come back till the next day. Who can forget about that much money and not come back immediately? Seemed a bit dodge.

Tbh if I lost 100 - 200 I wouldnt expect it to be handed into the police station and sure I dont think anyone would even bother trailing around all the stations in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭win2one

I never found 2 grand but I swear this is a true story, I found a wallet with about €300 in it a few years ago no credit cards in it but there was other info there that I couldnt track down the owner by , but I knew the Gardai could so I handed it in and they took my details . Called in a few months later to see if it had been collected and yes it had by a taxi driver who lived in County......................................

Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

A little girl dropped 50 big ones in front of me not so long ago. Without thinking I pocketed it! Felt really guilty so I bought a present for someone with it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

jordan.. wrote: »
    A little girl dropped 50 big ones in front of me not so long ago. Without thinking I pocketed it! Felt really guilty so I bought a present for someone with it :pac:

That's too much money for a young one to be carrying around in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

dclane wrote: »
    That's too much money for a young one to be carrying around in the first place.

yeh true! Maybe she stole it in the first place :p

Advertisement