Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

unknown13 wrote: »
    The guy has done his time. I don't know why the general public is worried about him, let An Garda Siochana worry about him.
    So, prison sentence served = all better?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Dudess wrote: »
    So, prison sentence served = all better?

What is the job of An Garda Siochana again? I believe it is to protect the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I don't know why the general public is worried about him.

Would you be comfortable with Larry moving in next door to you?

If the answer is Yes, then your theory holds

Of course if you answer yes, you probably are not telling the truth.

Yes, i know the chances of him comming to my estate to rape me are pretty slim, and there are many more Larry Murphys out there living among us, but the relaity is, we know this Larry Murphy, and people are naturally angry and some are worried.. -

What is the job of An Garda Siochana again? I believe it is to protect the people.

Correct.

However, they are not personal bodyguards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

It wasn't An Garda Siochana that saved the women it was
    people out hunting in the woods, furthermore as far as I
    know the man hasn't served his time because he hasn't
    attended therapy while in prison.

Correct me if I'm wrong but prison is about reform & punishment,
    not just punishment.

It hardly seems like he's reformed if he refsed to attend therapy,
    he's hardly dealing with Raskolnikov's guilt in his head when
    he refuses the chance to fess up to a shrink :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

snyper wrote: »
    Correct.

However, they are not personal bodyguards

They will be monitoring this guy well. If he puts his foot out of line he will be arrested fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What I'm saying is your apparent puzzlement at concern by the general public is a bit disingenuous. I detest all that lynch mob crap and yes, he has served his time, plus there is no direct evidence linking him with those disappeared women, plus the media does a fantastic job of scaremongering, but I don't think it's fair to castigate (not saying you're doing so) some people who might be a bit concerned over him being out of prison, considering what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 theneutralman

rebelmomma wrote: »
    He isn't going to rape anyone tonight? Really? This sick **** should be hounded along with every other sex offender. This guy not only visciously raped an innocent woman; he stalked her for weeks before and then TRIED TO KILL HER!!! I think sentencing for Rape in this country is appaling but if you try and kill someone and show no remorse you don't deserve to walk around free on the streets where our children walk. I think every sex offender who refuses any kind of counselling and shows no remorse should be hounded and followed around. Simple as that. I have only sympathy for his wife and kids and really hope this country can get behind them. His family should also be thought of as they did not choose to have Larry Murphy as a member of their family. I would hope that if he does indeed keep away from his family that the media will respect their right to live a normal life with a decent amount of privacy. One of his kids wasn't even born when he committed this crime. God love them.
    lets not forget about the judge and the fact larry murphy did not invent the system we use. when you commit a crime and get caught, if theres enough evidence against you, the solicitor will advise its client to plead guilty, then sentencing is inevitable! if the evidence against the accused is not strong, the solictor will try and get the defendent off with it and might succeed! this is democracy, its his choice if he wants to try and commit crime, its also his risk! if he does, and the evidence is not great, well then he deserves to get away it, and thats life! i commit small crimes all the time, driving in buse lanes and what not, but if im caught, then i'll have 2 be dealt with accordingly, nobody made me do it, and thats what a democractic society is based on! he served his time and his choice wether he wants to commit more crimes! OR bring back the death penalty, sure wont that only cause others to protest! this is why we all sound so stupid, because we cant all win!!!!!!!!! personally i think he killed the other women aswell and i think he is evil, especially for the fact he refused counselling and he was totally unremorseful! 10.5 yrs for rape and attempted murder, he should still be locked up, shocking! sure he's nearly better off in prison, because he will never live down the stigma, ever ever!

They will be monitoring this guy well. If he puts his foot out of line he will be arrested fairly quickly.

I agree.

But its not watertight either, and its possible they could lose him, although doubtful

DeltaC wrote: »
    The most terrible thing about Larry Murphy is the elephant in the room:

We all know that he will probably have to kill and be caught before those of us who survive can feel safe...and believe me, every woman in the country has a ticket in that particular lottery, and the women in the "Triangle" area have at least two.

It's won't matter much what the odds were to whoever drew the wrong ticket.

You can know that he almost certainly will not come for you, but you still cannot sleep easy in the small without extra bolts, locks and "defence strategies".

The only reason I will sleep tonight is because of the hue and cry that means, for tonight, he cannot possibly be near here...but what of all the nights to come?

There are three women alone within the square mile I am sitting in who all regularly used the same, stunning, remote walks...note the past tense, because, for now those walks feel like some kind of extreme sport of "asking for it", nobody will feel comfortable taking them.

Until it happens, you cannot know what it feels like to see a familiar face where everyone else sees a potential serial killer...I didn't know Larry Murphy as such, but our paths must have crossed so often, I definately know his face, it is part of the scenery I was used to feeling safe in.

I understand the law must be applied fairly, I have no taste for vengeance, or hounding and harrying anyone, whatever they have done, that kind of behaviour comes from an aspect of humanity I prefer to avoid. But I find myself convinced that my world, and everyone I see in it, would be far safer if Murphy had been humanely destroyed. It might even have been kinder to him.

Thomas Murphy showed extraordinary honesty and dignity for the cameras, and next time he crosses my path it is my intention to tell him that.

Only in Ireland could we manage to create a situation where our only national serial killer has the "right" to be free to strike again.
    a close eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

MrDarcy wrote: »
    There is no evidence whsoever that he is a serial killer, which is what my post on this you have quoted was correcting. Ireland is a small place, I was as close in terms of geography as Larry Murphy was to all of those women, most of the population of Ireland lives in Leinster, me living in Lucan doesn't constitute evidence that I'm a serial killer. He was probably out to kill that poor woman he attacked and was caught for, but there is no evidence whatsoever that he ever killed anyone. This is media type that people are getting sucked into I think.
    an remorseful untreated man is hardly going to admit to the other killings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Just to save me having to read over 51 pages what exactly makes this guy anymore dangerous than other convicted rapists released from prison ?

I can't ever remember this much coverage of someone being released from prison (no need for anyone to post anything about Nelson Mandela or the Birmingham 6). Why have the public/media taken a specific interest in him ?

I know that he refused treatment ( castration is the only treatment ) but surely he can't be the only rapist that has refused treatment.

I'm not looking to cause an arguement or defend this animals civil liberties.

Once he leaves the state (which i believe he will), do you really think the police in this banana republic will have the intelligence or resources to track him?

This is a police force so under-resourced that they now have to hire cars to combat drug-gangs.

Get real.:eek:

Once he leaves this country the Irish Police dont have the authority to track him, regardless of your opinion that they lack the intelligence or resources - It will be the responsibility of the state he has entered into to do so.

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Just to save me having to read over 51 pages what exactly makes this guy anymore dangerous than other convicted rapists released from prison ?

I can't ever remember this much coverage of someone being released from prison (no need for anyone to post anything about Nelson Mandela or the Birmingham 6). Why have the public/media taken a specific interest in him ?

I know that he refused treatment ( castration is the only treatment ) but surely he can't be the only rapist that has refused treatment.

Because he was also charged with attempted murder and he is/was the chief suspect in the disapperance of at least 3 of 6 missing women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

-How close he came to killing the girl
    -How close he came to getting away with it
    -The liklihood of him reoffending being very high
    -Him refusing treatment
    -The fact that him being responsible for the other disappearances being plausible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

Once he leaves this country the Irish Police dont have the authority to track him, regardless of your opinion that they lack the intelligence or resources - It will be the responsibility of the state he has entered into to do so.

the irish goverment should be held accountable, if this guy is able to just leave the country, and he does something in another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

TBH i cant imagine after serving 14years his first act would be to rape/murder within 7-days and get another stretch. There must have been some facets of life he missed during that time that may put him off

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    the irish goverment should be held accountable, if this guy is able to just leave the country, and he does something in another country.

We have theirs overhere, one, actually 2 recently were living in Athlone. one, a pedo def still lives here.

Bottom line, thats a separate debate, but as part of the EU freedom to travel is guarenteed among citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

SV wrote: »
    -How close he came to killing the girl
    -How close he came to getting away with it
    -The liklihood of him reoffending being very high
    -Him refusing treatment
    -The fact that him being responsible for the other disappearances being plausible

The way he did it a clinical way giving her clear instructions immediately to remove her bra so he could use it to tie her for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

We have theirs overhere, one, actually 2 recently were living in Athlone. A pedo, Still lives here.

Bottom line, thats a separate debate, but as part of the EU freedom to travel is guarenteed among citizens.

and that extends to convicted criminals also?

• Advertisement

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    and that extends to convicted criminals also?

Yes, with the UK and Ire for certain

He simply needs to inform the Gardai if he intends on leaving the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

Because he was also charged with attempted murder and he is/was the chief suspect in the disapperance of at least 3 of 6 missing women

This. Plus, it's August so there's little else on the news to talk about.

I agree that Larry Murphy's sentence was a disgrace. I agree that he's a danger to society and should be closely monitored. But the media hysteria today was ridiculous. And I also believe that if any evidence were to appear linking him to the murders of anyone else, it would be almost impossible for him to get a fair trial, which isn't beneficial to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Well for one it keeps the focus of our inept gov. out of the spotlight. They are the real winners here.

Smoke and daggers....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

beanyb wrote: »
    This. Plus, it's August so there's little else on the news to talk about.

I agree that Larry Murphy's sentence was a disgrace. I agree that he's a danger to society and should be closely monitored. But the media hysteria today was ridiculous. And I also believe that if any evidence were to appear linking him to the murders of anyone else, it would be almost impossible for him to get a fair trial, which isn't beneficial to anyone.

Sad, but true. If any evidence came to light about any of the other abductions the mad b*stard would walk away scot free with all the media coverage.
    If he isn't responsible for those three missing girls, yet is publicly broadcast to be the culprit, someone else somewhere is getting away with it:eek: and if he is guilty, if it came to a trial, where in the fcuk would you find an impartial jury?

Chances are though, he is very likely to be responsible for at least one of them. When you think of it, Ted Bundy is chief suspect in the murder of a girl - Suzy Cooley, who disappeared April 15, 1975, after leaving Nederland High School in Nederland Colorado. He is suspected because petrol receipts place him in nearby town 'Golden' on the day she was abducted. That's America which has quite a few dangerous men on the loose at any given time and the fact that Bundy was known to be in the vicinity was enough to place him as chief suspect.

Murphy was known to be working in Newbridge on the day Deirdre Jacob went missing and drove past her house on his way home:( and that's in our little island. What's the chances of another psychopath being around at that time driving past who was capable of abducting her from the side of the road without being seen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

Why dont we just kill this guy seriously!! There should be a death penalty for these creatures!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

didds wrote: »
    Just wondering, anyone know where David Lawler is these days? The guy who killed Marilyn Rynn in Corduff Jan 96? Cousin and secondary school classmate in Baltinglass of one Larry Murphy if memory serves me right. Similar mode of operating...
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/CLASSMATES+FROM+HELL%3B+2+of+Ireland's+most+brutal+sex+beasts+went+to...-a074623137

He was mentioned in the book that was free with the Sunday World about 6mths ago. Think it was suspected at one time that they were working together. Bit of a coincidence two madmen hanging around together. Like John Duffy and David Mulcahy (the uk's Railway Murderers).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

jordan.. wrote: »
    Why dont we just kill this guy seriously!! There should be a death penalty for these creatures!

Cause then you would be a murderer, you want to get back at a murderer for the horrible things he has done, by murdering? Then can someone else murder you for murdering someone else?

I agree the chap is scum its just posts like that make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Cause then you would be a murderer, you want to get back at a murderer for the horrible things he has done, by murdering? Then can someone else murder you for murdering someone else?

I agree the chap is scum its just posts like that make me laugh.

The Death Penalty isn't exactly "murder". Rather it is the putting down of a human being that poses a serious risk to other human beings.
    A bullet in the back of the head and a few donated organs is the way to go for monsters like Larry Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Then start a thread (another one) about the death penalty (if you really want to discuss it). There are reasons it doesn't exist in 90%+ of the democratic nations in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

he'll be out soon, and can go anywhere for up to 7 days. People beware!

im going nowhere...

i mean we're going...

eh he's going....

fcuk it....

* runs like hippy getting chased by a barber *

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement