Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

A shop I went into once broke a 20 euro note for 1 cent :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A shop I went into once broke a 20 euro note for 1 cent :mad:
    Sweet divine Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    My boyfriend''s sister used to work in the deli of a shop. I dunno was it every weekday or just at the weekends but this guy would come in and ask for a sandwich with EVERYTHING on it from the deli, I mean he'd ask her to put chicken wings, sausage rolls, all the fry materials, chicken pieces, jambons, seriosly EVERYTHING, because he knew that the most he could get charged for the sandwich was about €4, whereas he'd have to fork out a bomb to get it all separately! Now that's fierce stingey:D!

Sounds like a good one. Id like a hot chicken roll with cheese, lettuce, mayo, ketchup, some chips, wedges, a few sasuages, a jambon, a packet of crisps and sure stick a bag of coal in there while you at it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Back on topic, I'll never forget the time myself, my sister and my two friends (we would have been 7-9) went trick-or-treating around our two villages. We knocked on the local bitches door, she was pushing 90 at the time and walked with a crutch, I think she had her hips or her knees done. Anyway, she goes in, comes back out and gives us a pound between the four of us. Fair enough, she might be poor or whatever (we know she's not really though), but then she has the balls to say "Sorry, that's all I have, I was at a ball last night!" She could hardly walk, not to mind dance! She is the local liar like, we know that now :)!

Trick or treating around 2 villages and at the homes of 90 year olds is pretty stingy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Worst thing I saw was during the Special Olympics in Ireland. I was working in a shopping centre that closed for an evening to the public so all the participants of the olympics could have sole use of the centre. So it was a really great atmosphere and the shop I worked in had gotten lots of promotional stuff from the head office to give out for free.

Cue two horrible miserly Irish women who were volunteers at the olympics. They were the first into the shop that evening, they asked us about the free stuff, and we were all happy saying it was free for everyone. They took the lot!!!! We could not even say anything cause we were shocked and by the time we realised, they were gone, it was not even for the teams, they just put all the stuff in their bags. So for the rest of the night, we spent our time disappointing the rest by saying we had ran out of free stuff.

I still see people wearing those special olympic t-shirts, puts me in a bad mood everytime.

omfg this is terrible. People like this deserve very bad things to happen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

When I was on holiday in Romania recently, I was eating in a restaurant, and when the bill came it was about 50 euros. We didn't have enough small notes so my friend went to the counter to pay, she gave him a note worth about 80 euros. The waiter took it and didn't give any change. She asked for thechange and the waiter asked don't we want to tip? (tipping btw isn't really a normal thing to do in Romania). She said no, and so the waiter said he didn't have any change, obviously hoping we'd just forget it. She insisted that the restaurant must have change but the waiter said it didn't. So we had to wander around trying to find somwhere to get smaller notes to pay with. That might make us sound stingy, but who would pay a 30 euro tip for such bad service?

A scabby thing I saw in my home town the other day was a man come into a convenience store, say that he didn't have any money on him but really needed some cigarettes, and could he take some now and pay later? The shop assistant said no, and the bloke begged her really pitifully in front of everyone. She still said no, so he got his mate or brother to come in and beg with him. The shop assistant still said no. It wasn't like these were teenagers, they were aged like late twenties/early thirties.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I was recently fundraising on Grafton Street for the Blue Cross. We gave away pens to people who donated money, and I was surprised at the amount of people who simply gave money and refused a pen. But this one guy got a pen for his son and off he went. I was disgusted when several minutes later, the man and his son returned, claiming the pen is a "dud" and asks for another one! It was a free pen for a good cause! I just think that was absolutely despicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I was recently fundraising on Grafton Street for the Blue Cross. We gave away pens to people who donated money, and I was surprised at the amount of people who simply gave money and refused a pen. But this one guy got a pen for his son and off he went. I was disgusted when several minutes later, the man and his son returned, claiming the pen is a "dud" and asks for another one! It was a free pen for a good cause! I just think that was absolutely despicable.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that tbh. Even though it was for charity your were still selling something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

My boyfriend''s sister used to work in the deli of a shop. I dunno was it every weekday or just at the weekends but this guy would come in and ask for a sandwich with EVERYTHING on it from the deli, I mean he'd ask her to put chicken wings, sausage rolls, all the fry materials, chicken pieces, jambons, seriosly EVERYTHING, because he knew that the most he could get charged for the sandwich was about €4, whereas he'd have to fork out a bomb to get it all separately! Now that's fierce stingey:D!

Used to do this a few years ago but i wouldnt go that far, any chance this was in Galway:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Bob Z wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that tbh. Even though it was for charity your were still selling something.

Hassling people for money...did you get a commission?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I have my 2 year old fully trained in the art of locating and collecting change that has fallen to the ground by careless people. Yesterday, I made 15 cent while shopping due to her eagle eyed fiscal detections in the shop around the till. It saves me from bending down to collect and nobody thinks any worse of me, actually all the old dears say “Ah look isn’t that cute”.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I have my 2 year old fully trained in the art of locating and collecting change that has fallen to the ground by careless people. Yesterday, I made 15 cent while shopping due to her eagle eyed fiscal detections in the shop around the till. It saves me from bending down to collect and nobody thinks any worse of me, actually all the old dears say “Ah look isn’t that cute”.

What are you gonna do when he/she starts asking for her percentage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

jimoc wrote: »

I have anticipated that situation will probably happen when she hits 4 years old, so a bit of family planning will have to be done to have a sibling take her place.

Bob Z wrote: »

No I wasn't. When I was trying to get passers by to donate, I wasn't asking them to buy a pen. I simply asked them to help the Blue Cross. About 75% of people who donated didn't take a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

About 75% of people who donated didn't take a pen.

That's because they didn't bloody work properly.. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

jimoc wrote: »

2 year olds cost a fortune to maintain. It is only fitting that they contribute to their keep

Wazdakka wrote: »
    That's because they didn't bloody work properly..

It is a charity that relies completely on donations. Are you gonna spend the money on the necessities to keep the organisation running, or waste it on stingy people who only give to receive?

It is a charity that relies completely on donations. Are you gonna spend the money on the necessities to keep the organisation running, or waste it on stingy people who only give to receive?
    Then why bother with the pens at all? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Yizzer dragging this great thread down with your off topic nonsense! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Yizzer dragging this great thread down with your off topic nonsense! :rolleyes:

Are you comfortable back there??? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Karma will sort the b^st^rds out :D

As an optional reward!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭thebigleap

Years ago, while living in London, my younger brother came over to stay for a while. He was very quiet and not very outgoing but I arranged a get-together at a local pub to introduce him to my friends. Everything was going great until it was my roommate's round, she was notorious for letting everyone wait until she finished her glass to the end, no matter how long it took. Anyway, she was given the hint, looked at the dregs in her glass, poured them into my bro's glass, saying," here ya go, that'll do you, you're not much of a drinker anyway."

I followed her to the bar and told her off, and she did apologise and bought him a beer, but it pissed him off the rest of the night and he's hated her ever since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

To thank you..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

thebigleap wrote: »
    Years ago, while living in London, my younger brother came over to stay for a while. He was very quiet and not very outgoing but I arranged a get-together at a local pub to introduce him to my friends. Everything was going great until it was my roommate's round, she was notorious for letting everyone wait until she finished her glass to the end, no matter how long it took. Anyway, she was given the hint, looked at the dregs in her glass, poured them into my bro's glass, saying," here ya go, that'll do you, you're not much of a drinker anyway."

I followed her to the bar and told her off, and she did apologise and bought him a beer, but it pissed him off the rest of the night and he's hated her ever since.

I dont know her and you made me hate her too . What a bitch

I was recently fundraising on Grafton Street for the Blue Cross. We gave away pens to people who donated money,..... this one guy got a pen for his son and off he went. I was disgusted when several minutes later, the man and his son returned, claiming the pen is a "dud" and asks for another one!
    About 75% of people who donated didn't take a pen.
    It is a charity that relies completely on donations. Are you gonna spend the money on the necessities to keep the organisation running,or waste it on stingy people who only give to receive?
    As an optional reward!
    owenc wrote: »
    To thank you..:rolleyes:

But...But... But...
    :confused::confused:
    Ah to hell with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I was told it costs 250,000 euro to raise a kid in Ireland to the age of 18, so I sponsored a kid in Africa for a euro a week! thats not stingy thats economical! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

crazyderk wrote: »
    I was told it costs 250,000 euro to raise a kid in Ireland to the age of 18, so I sponsored a kid in Africa for a euro a week! thats not stingy thats economical! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Do you get child allowance also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 madmaxpower

My old pair told me this one.

They where at a funeral and afterwards they were invited back to a local hotel for a meal.
    Where the brother in law of the deceased got his car clamped outside the hotel for parking where he wasn't supposed to.

Not sure of the fine but the son of the deceased a man of about 60 walked around and asked everyone in the place for 2 euro.

I thought this was hilarious, disrupting a funeral and showing family and friends how cheap you are for the sake of 60 - 120 euro. Apparently they saw nothing wrong with this. Sounds like something a school teacher would do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement