Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build up to the 2010 European Championships, Barcelona (Steve Colvert qualifies)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Tingle wrote: »
    One other thing and it probably compounded the Fagan situation and that is the relationship or lack of between the elite athletes and the HP setup. Our world class athletes try surround themselves with world class support and right now it remains to be seen if that exists in HP, maybe I am harsh and maybe it does.
    No I don't think your been too harsh there, but at national level it seems to be working but if someone is at a world level i think there are some problems. I'd have a big fear the way things are going in the us for distance running sponsors seem to be putting bigger and bigger wads of cash into road races, Seems to be something similar to what happens in the early 80's with the pro circut again.
    Fagan and Cragg seem to have very good groups to train with there, but they(the groups) seem to do a lot of road races , maybe it pays the bills.

For me it would have been great to see someone like Sean Connoly make the euro's that would do a lot more for the kids running Tallagh then a Fagan or a Cragg, Home based runners who the can see ever day this would inspire more more.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Teej

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS IRISH TEAM
    Barcelona July 27th-August 1st.
    MEN – 100m: Jason Smyth (City of Derry), Paul Hession (Athenry AC). 200m : Hession, Steven Colvert (UCD). 400m : David Gillick (Dundrum SD), Gordon Kennedy (Tullamore), Brian Gregan (Clonliffe). 800m : Dave McCarthy (Le Cheile), Thomas Chamney (Crusaders). 1,500m : Alistair Cragg (Clonliffe), Chamney, Rory Chesser (Ennis Track Club), 5,000m : Cragg, Mark Christie (Mullingar). 20km walk : Robert Heffernan (Togher AC), Jamie Costin (W Waterford). 50km walk : Heffernan, Colin Griffin (Ballinamore AC). 400m relay : Gillick, Gregan, Kennedy, Brian Murphy (UCC), McCarthy.
    WOMEN – 100m: Ailish McSweeney (Leevale), 200m : Niamh Whelan (Ferrybank AC), Joanne Cuddihy (Kilkenny CH). 400m : Cuddihy. 800m : Roseann Galligan (Newbridge AC). 3,000m Steeplechase : Fionnuala Britton (Sli Chulainn), Stephanie Reilly (Sli Cualainn). 100m Hurdles : Derval O’Rourke (Leevale). 400m Hurdles : Justine Kinney (Loughborough), Brona Furlong (Slaney Olympic), Michelle Carey (Dublin Striders). High Jump : Deirdre Ryan (Dundrum SD). Long Jump : Kelly Proper (Ferrybank AC). Pole Vault : Tori Pena (Finn Valley AC). 20km walk : Olive Loughnane (Loughrea AC). 100m relay : Whelan, O’Rourke, Proper, McSweeney, Claire Brady (Celbridge AC), Amy Foster (Ballymena and Antrim). 400m relay : Cuddihy, Carey, Kinney, Furlong, Marian Heffernan (Togher), Claire Bergin (DSD).

Final team :http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0720/1224275073363.html

Griffin, McSweeney, Colvert & Chesser added - although Griffin's participation still provisional based on recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Great to see such a diverse team across many events and the full three in a few events.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I see we have a new event. Anyone else spot it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Yes, its a good squad, and without injuries etc could have had 4/5 more .

Its a pity that the marathon mission programme has not yielded any athletes for the Europeans, any one know whether there are races /marathons targeted in autumn for these guys/ladies..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Pherekydes wrote: »

Nope, I give up. Unless you're referring to Women's Pole Vault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Could it be the relays seem pretty short to me 100m relay with 3 change overs say that will be bedlam:p

ecoli wrote: »
    Could it be the relays seem pretty short to me 100m relay with 3 change overs say that will be bedlam:p

Hehe, yep. 4x25m? Is it the short course championships? :D

Hehe, yep. 4x25m? Is it the short course championships? :D

So the handover zone must be a lot of fun there

4x25m?

That would be great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

Cutbacks don't you know - everyone is being hit by the recession! :p

Smyth in action tonight hopefully will maintain his sensational form over in France

Smyth in action tonight hopefully will maintain his sensational form over in France

He ran 10.41 (+2.3) and 10.43 (+1.3) in Castres last night. I suppose it's decent enough after an injury lay-off.

He ran 10.41 (+2.3) and 10.43 (+1.3) in Castres last night. I suppose it's decent enough after an injury lay-off.

Oops misread the article :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭t4k30

Seems off form !

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭TrackFan123

t4k30 wrote: »
    Seems off form !

A tenth off your pb after a niggle and no race since June??

Thats a good enough return, hopefully get into a the 10.2s in Barca, could make the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 letsbefriends

any morton mile results? i hear mccarthy ran 359 and reale 4flat..anything official?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

How are the semi finals for the sprint events done at these Europeans? Is it the traditional 2 semi finals, top 4 go through? Or is it that ridiculous system that they do at the World's where there is 3 semi finals and top 2 and 2 fastest losers go through?

04072511 wrote: »
    How are the semi finals for the sprint events done at these Europeans? Is it the traditional 2 semi finals, top 4 go through? Or is it that ridiculous system that they do at the World's where there is 3 semi finals and top 2 and 2 fastest losers go through?

Depends on the number of entrants. Its better to have the semi (2+2) as it means one less round. 4 rounds of a 400m would not be fun.

I think there would need to be 57 or more athletes to require 4 rounds and thats the only scenario where there will be first 4 through in a semi. If there are 25-32 athletes you will have 3 rounds with 2 semi-finals on a 3+2 basis but if its 33-40 athletes it will be 3 semis with 2+2.

It does make sense and isn't a bad system as it gets away from the potential of a bad draw ruling out an athlete, ie, you get a bad draw in heat and end up in a **** hot semi-final and come 5th when you could be the 6 or 7th fastest in the field.

Rule 166

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/Competitions/TechnicalArea/05/47/81/20091027115916_httppostedfile_CompRules2010_web_26Oct09_17166.pdf

Tingle wrote: »
    Depends on the number of entrants. Its better to have the semi (2+2) as it means one less round. 4 rounds of a 400m would not be fun.

I think there would need to be 57 or more athletes to require 4 rounds and thats the only scenario where there will be first 4 through in a semi. If there are 25-32 athletes you will have 3 rounds with 2 semi-finals on a 3+2 basis but if its 33-40 athletes it will be 3 semis with 2+2.

It does make sense and isn't a bad system as it gets away from the potential of a bad draw ruling out an athlete, ie, you get a bad draw in heat and end up in a **** hot semi-final and come 5th when you could be the 6 or 7th fastest in the field.

Rule 166

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/Competitions/TechnicalArea/05/47/81/20091027115916_httppostedfile_CompRules2010_web_26Oct09_17166.pdf

True, though at the same time in a 3 semi final systme there is the risk that a tail wind could get up in 1 of the 3 races, giving the runners in that semi final an advantage with regards getting the fastest loser spots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

04072511 wrote: »
    True, though at the same time in a 3 semi final systme there is the risk that a tail wind could get up in 1 of the 3 races, giving the runners in that semi final an advantage with regards getting the fastest loser spots.

Same applies to any event where there are fastest loser spots on offer - impossible to flatten the paying field 100%. The events where this is potentially the biggest problem - horizontal jumps! 100m and 200m are next, but all events suffer to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

So, Barcelona's nearly here. Some of the pre-championship build up articles:

Good piece on Gordon Kennedy from today's Indo:
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics-gordon-kennedys-race-for-his-life-2270995.html

European Athletics article on Jason Smyth being the first Paralympic athlete to compete at the championships:
    http://www.european-athletics.org/20th-european-athletics-championships-2010/irelands-jason-smyth-first-paralympian-at-european-athletics-championships.html

Irish Examiner piece on Rob Heffernan:
    http://www.examiner.ie/sport/other-sport/heffernan-braced-for-barcelona-125911.html

Examiner piece on Gillick:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/other-sport/gillick-braced-for-borlee-125779.html

...plus, Stephanie Reilly, one of the newer faces to the Irish team, is blogging about her experience. It's really refreshing to read through it and see an athlete who's finally achieved her dream of qualifying for an Irish Team for a major championship after years of perseverance:

http://www.stephreillyrunning.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 letsbefriends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I can't wait for this championship, I hope to make the team myself next year :).

Not Barcelona related per say but with performances like this he will be a factor in future championships

Andrew Ledwith 2nd in Deseret News 10K in a time of 27.34 inside the previous course record

http://archive.deseretnews.com/article/700050506/Alene-Reta-defends-mens-Deseret-News-10K-title-with-record-run-of-27187.html

Andrew Ledwith 2nd in Deseret News 10K in a time of 27.34 inside the previous course record

Before anyone wets themselves or thinks of Cathal Lombard, I'd just like to point out that this is an entirely downhill course with an average gradient of 2.2%.

Before anyone wets themselves or thinks of Cathal Lombard, I'd just like to point out that this is an entirely downhill course with an average gradient of 2.2%.

Don't mention the war.... Still a very good run and he has shown some good form this year ,year sill think there is a lot more to come from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

Two days to go before the Champioships begin, this is the Irish schedule as far as I know. Plenty of Irish action ahead, we should have someone to support each day.

Tuesday 27 July - Morning
    8.05 20km Walk Men FINAL - Rob Heffernan, Jamie Costin
    10:00 400m hurdles Women Round 1 - M. Carey, J. Kinney, B. Furlong
    11:00 400m Men Round 1 - D. Gillick, B. Gregan, G. Kennedy
    12:30 Long Jump Women Qual. Gr. A/B - Kelly Proper

Tuesday 27 July - Afternoon
    19:15 100m Men Round 1 - Jason Smyth
    20:10 800m Women Round 1 - Rose Ann Galligan

Wednesday 28 July - Morning
    8:05 20km Walk Women FINAL - Olive Loughnane
    10:30 Pole Vault Women Qual. Gr. A/B - Tori Pena
    10:40 100m Women Round 1 - Ailish McSweeney
    11:30 3000m sc Women Round 1 - F. Britton, S. Reilly
    12:10 800m Men Round 1 - David McCarthy

Wednesday 28 July- Afternoon
    18:35 400m Women Semi-final - Joanne Cuddihy
    19:00 400m Men Semi-final - D. Gillick, B. Gregan, G. Kennedy*
    19:25 800m Women Semi-final - Rose Ann Galligan*
    19:50 100m Men Semi-final - Jason Smyth*
    20:00 Long Jump Women FINAL - K. Proper*
    20:15 400m hurdles Women Semi-final - M. Carey, J. Kinney, B. Furlong*
    20.40 1500m Men Semi-final - Thomas Chamney, Rory Chesser
    21:45 100m Men FINAL - Jason Smyth*

Thursday 29 July - Morning
    11:30 200m Men Round 1 - Paul Hession, Stephen Colvert

Thursday 29 July - Afternoon
    18:45 5000m Men Round 1 - Alistair Cragg, Mark Christie
    19:55 200m Men Semi-final - Paul Hession, Stephen Colvert*
    20:20 100m Women Semi-final - Ailish McSweeney*
    20:50 800m Men Semi-final - David McCarthy*
    21:45 100m Women FINAL - Ailish McSweeney*

Friday 30 July 2010 - Morning
    10:00 100m Hurdles Women Round 1 - Derval O'Rourke
    10:05 High Jump Women Qual. Gr. A/B - Deirdre Ryan
    12:20 200m Women Round 1 - Niamh Whealan

Friday 30 July 2010 - Afternoon
    18:30 Pole Vault Women FINAL - Tori Pena*
    19:00 200m Women Semi-final - Niamh Whealan*
    19:25 200m Men FINAL - Paul Hession, Stephen Covert*
    19:35 400m Women FINAL - Joanne Cuddihy*
    20:25 3000m Steeplechase Women FINAL - F. Britton, S. Reilly*
    21:25 400m Men FINAL - D. Gillick, B. Gregan, G. Kennedy*
    21:40 400m Hurdles Women FINAL - M. Carey, J. Kinney, B. Furlong*
    21:50 800m Women FINAL - Rose Ann Galligan*
    22:00 1500m Men FINAL - Thomas Chamney, Rory Chesser*

Saturday 31 July 2010 - Morning
    10:45 4x100m Women Round 1
    11:20 4x400m Men Round 1
    11:50 4x400m Women Round 1

Saturday 31 July 2010 - Afternoon
    19:05 100m Hurdles Women Semi-Final - Derval O'Rourke*
    19:35 800m Men FINAL - David McCarthy*
    19:50 200m Women FINAL - Niamh Whealan*
    20:25 100m Hurdles Women FINAL - Derval O'Rourke*
    21:20 5000m Men FINAL - Alastair Cragg, Mark Christie*

Sunday 1 August 2010 - Afternoon
    19:30 High Jump Women FINAL - Deirdre Ryan*
    19:50 4x100m Women FINAL
    21:40 4x400m Women FINAL
    21:55 4x400m Men FINAL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Cathal Lombard was an average to decent athlete tha was near the top of the club scene before his ridiculous breakout. I remember Richard Corcoran pointing out to me that Lomabard had finished outside the top 3 (and well behing Richard) in the Rathfarnham 5k about 18 months before he was breaking Mark Carrols 10k record.

Ledwith is a 3rd placer from NCAA XC and a 5th place (i think) in the NCAA 10k on the track. In the cross country, he was ony headed by Galen Rupp and Sam Chalanga. These guys have 10k PBs of 27.10 and 27.08 respectively on the track.

I'm not thinking Lombard, I'm thinking Keith Kelly and Martni Fagan. I also think the 2012 marathon is a realistic goal if he points his training towards it.

• Advertisement

Cathal Lombard was an average to decent athlete tha was near the top of the club scene before his ridiculous breakout. I remember Richard Corcoran pointing out to me that Lomabard had finished outside the top 3 (and well behing Richard) in the Rathfarnham 5k about 18 months before he was breaking Mark Carrols 10k record.

Ledwith is a 3rd placer from NCAA XC and a 5th place (i think) in the NCAA 10k on the track. In the cross country, he was ony headed by Galen Rupp and Sam Chalanga. These guys have 10k PBs of 27.10 and 27.08 respectively on the track.

I'm not thinking Lombard, I'm thinking Keith Kelly and Martni Fagan. I also think the 2012 marathon is a realistic goal if he points his training towards it.

Why are AAI reporting this as an Irish Record if it was on a downhill course?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement