Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build up to the 2010 European Championships, Barcelona (Steve Colvert qualifies)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Belgium, Liege I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭IrishTrackFan1

Rineanna wrote: »
    Belgium, Liege I believe.

This is fantastic news, just what we need after all the other stuff.
    Great credit to Ailis and her coaching team - she has stuck with it and come through in a big way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

What was the old record and what was her previous pb?

I'm too lazy to research them....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

Old record = 11.43 set in 1978

McSweeney's previous PB from 2005 = 11.59. Was clear that she was in top form based on times into strong headwinds in the last couple of weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Michelle Carroll, 11.43, set just around the same time that Daniel Passarella led Argentina to their First World Cup title! How on earth has that record lasted 32 years!

Fair play to her for breaking it. Its about time that that record was lowered!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

drrunner wrote: »
    McSweeney's previous PB from 2005 = 11.59.

Now that's how you break a PB! Wow. Great perfromance.

Alistair Cragg 7.44.25 at the same meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭chrissor

And he is listed as an American on this website :confused:

http://www.timetronics.be/results/luik2010/event035h01.html

chrissor wrote: »
    And he is listed as an American on this website :confused:

http://www.timetronics.be/results/luik2010/event035h01.html

Probably just an oversight :eek: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭runjb

Great run by Alistar, a European leading time for the year if I'm not mistaken.

I just hope now he does himself justice in Barcelona, I don't think there's any pressure on his shoulders and so I'm hoping for a good performance. A top 5 finish is within his capabilities!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

Of the 30 Irish athletes travelling to Barcelona, following is my list of those likely to finish in the Top 8, in order of liklihood. I reckon the medals will stop after no 3 below.

1. Gillick
    2. Loughnan
    3. Heffernan
    4. O'Rourke
    5. Hession (200)
    6. Cragg
    7. Cuddihy (400)
    8. womens 4x100
    9. Smyth

Some Irish interest at tonight's Karlstad GP. Rory Chesser chasing the qualifying mark and possible selection for the Irish team. Joined by Liam Reale in a loaded 1500m where the fast times should come.

Surprised maybe Derval isn't here. She has said she wants some more races before the champs so anyone any ideas where she will race?

http://88.131.109.176/folksam/Karlstad/Startlist.php

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭TrackFan123

Did my eyes deceiveme or is Hesh down for the 100??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Did my eyes deceiveme or is Hesh down for the 100??

I cant imagine Hesh would be so stupid to compete in the 100 and ruin his chances of a medal in the 200 azs a result. I imagine he is only listed for 100 as he has qualified for it. The same goes for Cragg. He is listed for 2 events I think.

Yes Hession is listed for both but doesn't necessarily have to run in both. It would be possible however with the 100m round 1 on the Tuesday and semi on Wednesday. I don't think he would progress to the 100m final so the option would be there to flex his legs in the opening rounds if he liked.

The 200m Round 1 start on Thursday morning, with the semi final that afternoon and the final on Fri afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

Will McSweeny defo be picked for the 100m dont see her listed?

yes she will definitely be picked.

They will presumably update the list on Sunday giving everyone else a final chance to get a place! I think Sunday is the final deadline!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Will McSweeny defo be picked for the 100m dont see her listed?

Hasn been updated since she achieved her standard she will definitely be announced on it next week when the final team is announced(monday as far as i am aware) Fagan running this weekend in a 8k road race also hopefully can show his fitness to claim his place also

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

<snip>
    Time for a fresh beginning of what could be a very good few years in Irish Running.
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Fish'n'Chips

snip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Chesser runs a PB of 3:40.08 in Karlstad! Well done, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

snip

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Just about equivalent to a brilliant sub 4 mile... Fantastic..The way is up

Pherekydes wrote: »

One more for Barca, great to see

snip

snip

Other results from Karlstad

200m
    5 Darragh Graham 84 Ireland 22.41

1500m
    8 Rory Chesser 87 Ireland 3:40.08 PB
    13 Liam Reale 83 Ireland 3:43.85 SB

W 400h
    3 Jessika Zebo 84 Ireland 58.95

snip

FishnChips wrote: »
    snip.

Dealing with minors there is a certain protocol and privacy should be respected we have had a national record and 2 qualifiers for the Euro's <snip>As was said by the Moderator early in the thread its for performances a<snip>
    Back to the athletes fair play to the lads (and lasses) in Karlstad tonight some very top class runs. I wonder if Reale will make another attempt on the time and if so will he be allowed go given Cragg and Chamney have the times but are entered as there secondary event?

• Advertisement

Super stuff from Chesser, I had a feeling earlier today he was going to get a fast time and break his PB. Delighted!!

I think Reale might give it one more go, he's getting close!

Chamney's main event is the 1500m, not his secondary one any more. I think he feels he has a better chance of succeeding in it and I would have to agree.

So with Chamney and Chesser both definitely aiming for the 1500m and Cragg already enter for the event, I think Reale might miss out unfortunetly! Can the AAI only enter 3 for each event? Or is it a case of they can enter more and only 3 allowed run?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement