Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build up to the 2010 European Championships, Barcelona (Steve Colvert qualifies)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

runjb wrote: »
    Super stuff from Chesser, I had a feeling earlier today he was going to get a fast time and break his PB. Delighted!!

I think Reale might give it one more go, he's getting close!

Chamney's main event is the 1500m, not his secondary one any more. I think he feels he has a better chance of succeeding in it and I would have to agree.

So with Chamney and Chesser both definitely aiming for the 1500m and Cragg already enter for the event, I think Reale might miss out unfortunetly! Can the AAI only enter 3 for each event? Or is it a case of they can enter more and only 3 allowed run?

Rules say only three can be selected but can Cragg be dropped from the 1500m now that he already been named?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

keep on topic folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭runjb

I really don't know if they can. It'll depend of course if another athlete achieves the standard, if they don't then no worries.

Then again Cragg might be actually interesting in running an opening round of the 1500m, remember he did it at the Olympics to get some speed in the legs.

If four people get the standard, it'll probably be the 3 fastest that get selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭IrishTrackFan1

runjb wrote: »
    I really don't know if they can. It'll depend of course if another athlete achieves the standard, if they don't then no worries.

Then again Cragg might be actually interesting in running an opening round of the 1500m, remember he did it at the Olympics to get some speed in the legs.

If four people get the standard, it'll probably be the 3 fastest that get selected.

He didn't run Nationals did he? Ineligible so? Although Jason Smith didn't run and it didn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

He didn't run Nationals did he? Ineligible so? Although Jason Smith didn't run and it didn't matter.

He was injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Fish'n'Chips

Rineanna wrote: »
    He was injured.

Colin Griffin has a minor injury too but wasn't shown the same grace as Smyth. What about David McCarthy? He didn't compete yet was selected too.

<Snip>

Nothing against the two athletes who were selected but here's yet another example of the gombeen men running Irish athletics.

[Mod: Please stop with the conspiracy theories and unsubstantiated allegations]

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Fair enough... This thread should be for Barcelona only.....

FishnChips wrote: »
    Colin Griffin has a minor injury too but wasn't shown the same grace as Smyth. What about David McCarthy? He didn't compete yet was selected too.

<Snip>

Colin Griffin has a grade one tear, Smyths minor niggle was not preventing him to train but he missed as a precaution to avoid injury. In Griffins case it can actually take away from injury and depending on the athlete he may have decided he was not at full fitness to compete as opposed to smyth who has shown his current form

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭IrishTrackFan1

FishnChips wrote: »

<Snip>

Nothing against the two athletes who were selected but here's yet another example of the gombeen men running Irish athletics.

Well I don't know who they are connected to but I don't like being taken for a fool by people who claim to be injured yet can run so well a few days later. I know its possible but the likelihood is that they are sandbagging.

I'd like to see the carding tied in to this so that if you miss Nationals you lose money, plain and simple, no excuses. Then these athletes that have 'niggles' can lose a couple of grand and so be it. Of course, for that to happen, the carding decisions have to be taken away from the ISC/Finbarr Kirwan and put in the hands of AAI. Mixed views on that for lots of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Fish'n'Chips

ecoli wrote: »
    Colin Griffin has a grade one tear, Smyths minor niggle was not preventing him to train but he missed as a precaution to avoid injury. In Griffins case it can actually take away from injury and depending on the athlete he may have decided he was not at full fitness to compete as opposed to smyth who has shown his current form

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics-griffin-focused-on-fitness-race-for-euros-after-losing-place-in-ireland-squad-2255967.html

According to that article Griffin seems to think he has not been given a fair chance and said that he would be the first person to withdraw himself if he didn't think he was fit enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

Great running by Chesser. There will no doubt be a few additions/changes to the team when it is finalised. Hopefully Griffin will make it - I believe he had a strain, not even a tear. Strange that he was not selected subject to showing fitness given such a minor injury. Hopefully Fagan will show fitness - am really in favour of athletes having to do Nationals though there are a couple of events where there is not a direct translation to athletes' championship distances and this needs to be catered for. Also, in gaining selection, I feel athletes should generally compete at Nationals in their actual championship event unless there are exceptional circumstances - especially if participation in Nationals is seen to be seen to be a primary selection criterion. Just on a point of curiosity, what injury was McCarthy suffering from does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 letsbefriends

deadline is sunday so if reale is going to take another shot where will it be? think he has run out of time

great running from chesser...great to see a young guy step up and make the grade...id say david mccarthy from west waterford is regretting not taking another stab at the time

deadline is sunday so if reale is going to take another shot where will it be? think he has run out of time

great running from chesser...great to see a young guy step up and make the grade...id say david mccarthy from west waterford is regretting not taking another stab at the time

I know there are certain athletes heading to Finland this weekend looking for the times though i dunno if even has a 1500m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 letsbefriends

who?

who?

Sean Connolly and Kevin Moriarty are the only two down on the start list it seems in 5k and 1500m respetively

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭TrackFan123

whats the story with all the posts being edited??

whats the story with all the posts being edited??

I'm guessing that Hunnymonster's warning to keep things on topic indicates the posts that were deleted were off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

Surprised to see Dave McCarthy not having another go at the qualifying time in the 1500M. He looked impressive at the Cork City sports and just missed out on the time by a couple of seconds in terribly windy conditions.

Surprised to see Dave McCarthy not having another go at the qualifying time in the 1500M. He looked impressive at the Cork City sports and just missed out on the time by a couple of seconds in terribly windy conditions.

True he seems to be back in the shape he was in last year (3.41) and maybe even better he could well suprise as he is a man for keeping low key and we could well see results pop up somwhere from around the continent as i know some sprinters have hit Brussels for a race and Finland so it could be a very busy weekend in terms of Irish athletics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Jonathon Borlee 44.77 in Paris tonight. Big European leader over 400 now. Michael Bingham still not showing the form of last summer though.

Would have loved to see Gillick in a race like this with really fast times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

what about that run by Alminova in paris 1500m after a 3 month 'rest' - unbelievable.

dna_leri wrote: »
    what about that run by Alminova in paris 1500m after a 3 month 'rest' - unbelievable.

3rd in three days and yesterday ran 4.00 surely has to be medal favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Giants Causeway

ecoli wrote: »
    3rd in three days and yesterday ran 4.00 surely has to be medal favourite

She looked very comfortable coming down the home straight too. I'd say she could run 3.55 or 3.56. How do these federations decide who they believe are making innocent mistakes? 99% of drug cheats feign innocence when caught - its very difficult.

Speaking of 1500m hats off to Rory Chesser. He has been a model of consistency of the past few seasons and has quietly chipped away at his PB's. If a list of potential qualifiers for Barcelona was put together two years ago Rory would not have been on many lists. However, he just kept his head down, got on with the job and now I hope he is added to the team

Steven Colvert is coming ever closer to dipping under the 21 second mark, with a 21.23 run into a -1.3 wind at the Belgian NC in Brussels. He ran 10.62 for 100m in the heats yesterday, so let's hope there's more to come in the final today.

Sean Connolly ran 13.48,51 in Finland, just over 8 seconds shy of the qualifying standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭runjb

Very good run by seán..he came so close like. Is it a new PB?

Any more irish in action today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/mullingar/articles/2010/07/14/3998573-dismay-as-fagan-misses-out-on-shot-at-euro-glory/

Read that!

This is absolutely disgusting!

He has already competed in the Nationals this year (the 10km National Championships in the Phoenix Park which he went to such trouble to get home for, with all the delays due to the ash clowds). Why cant this be accepted as "competing in the national championships"? It is a closer equivalent to the Marathon than the 10000m on the track at Santry is?

Seriously how do such incompetents get to the top of these organisations. I'm so furious I'm considering ringing Athletics Ireland!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Such a sickner for all the people who care about the sport in this country and all the people travelling over to Barcelona to support the team.

Wouldnt be surprised if Fagan changes nationality to the USA now. He's been living there long enough that he would be entitled to apply to citizenship, and to be honest after this I wouldnt blame him in the slightest. He wouldnt have to put up with such sh1t over there.

A dark moment for the sport in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sean Connolly ran 13.48,51 in Finland, just over 8 seconds shy of the qualifying standard.

Inside the euro standard but outside the AAI euro standard. :( Great running and a 2 second pb there I think....
    pity the AAI decided to reduce the 5000m standard by 10 seconds (european standard is 13:50) nice guy and its nice to see guys like this doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

04072511 wrote: »
    http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/mullingar/articles/2010/07/14/3998573-dismay-as-fagan-misses-out-on-shot-at-euro-glory/

Read that!

This is absolutely disgusting!

He has already competed in the Nationals this year (the 10km National Championships in the Phoenix Park which he went to such trouble to get home for, with all the delays due to the ash clowds). Why cant this be accepted as "competing in the national championships"? It is a closer equivalent to the Marathon than the 10000m on the track at Santry is?

Seriously how do such incompetents get to the top of these organisations. I'm so furious I'm considering ringing Athletics Ireland!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Such a sickner for all the people who care about the sport in this country and all the people travelling over to Barcelona to support the team.

Wouldnt be surprised if Fagan changes nationality to the USA now. He's been living there long enough that he would be entitled to apply to citizenship, and to be honest after this I wouldnt blame him in the slightest. He wouldnt have to put up with such sh1t over there.

A dark moment for the sport in Ireland!
    He knew well what he was doing and was told where he stood prior to nationals. Iwould say heflewback for the € for the BUPA 10k. Would love to see him there... could have faked an injury to miss it at least....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 3a

That's super running from Séan. Delighted to see him come through after all of these years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement