Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment Freeze

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 theinsider1

Ok Guys
    Recruitment for the campaign 1001 is safe for now the process is almost complete, the probable reason why things are happening so quickly this year is in anticipation for no further employment of recruits for a period from the next financial year (April 2011). This is in line with current PSNI commitments and Patten which is also due to cease in March 2011. The recruitment freeze that is talked about is with immediate effect this means no further advertising PSNI jobs, those in the pipeline will remain safe for now!
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Kaori

Ok Guys
    Recruitment for the campaign 1001 is safe for now the process is almost complete, the probable reason why things are happening so quickly this year is in anticipation for no further employment of recruits for a period from the next financial year (April 2011). This is in line with current PSNI commitments and Patten which is also due to cease in March 2010. The recruitment freeze that is talked about is with immediate effect this means no further advertising PSNI jobs, those in the pipeline will remain safe for now!
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for your post. This news explains why we were told in our a/c pass letters not to defer. Fingers crossed now that those of us still waiting receive vetting forms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Would it be so hard to say within the statement that ..."as of 2011 we will be imposing a recruitment freeze"?With "immediate effect" sounds extremely ominous.

What is a feckin freeze anyway?

Excuse me if I take your post with a pinch of salt as it seems to be your first one on this forum....

pessimist/sceptic in me...eh,delancy?

Oh,and I wouldnt be surprise if psni took some time off as Im sure he will be inundated with queries

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

A recruitment cold snap?!

Ok Guys
    Recruitment for the campaign 1001 is safe for now the process is almost complete, the probable reason why things are happening so quickly this year is in anticipation for no further employment of recruits for a period from the next financial year (April 2011). This is in line with current PSNI commitments and Patten which is also due to cease in March 2011. The recruitment freeze that is talked about is with immediate effect this means no further advertising PSNI jobs, those in the pipeline will remain safe for now!
    Hope this helps.

Hmm...I'm intrigued! Username: theinsider, Join date: today, Post count: just that one above...could it be you really are someone from the inside who's been sent here to settle us all before we turn into a lynch mob? You're not Matt Baggott himself are you?? :D incognitoooo, I like your style mystery person! Or has psni set himself up another account to tell us for fear of appearing because we'll all jump on him as soon as he does! I know I would be :P

I am slowly coming round to believe it is a freeze on future campaigns, now that I've calmed down a bit after the initial rage of hearing it on the news...I really do hope that it is the case, my heart can't take this no more!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Poor 'ol psni - everyone assumes he ( assuming he is not a she there ) knows the answer to everything , now I know he is a jolly knowledgeable chap but it's very possible he knows precisely as much as the rest of us know.
    I would ask that folks who find links on this story post them here , also if anyone calls recruitment about this can they post the reply they got ? Thanks

p.s. Nothing like a recruitment freeze to get the forum running hot - 35 online , wow !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 theinsider1

cesc77 wrote: »
    Would it be so hard to say within the statement that ..."as of 2011 we will be imposing a recruitment freeze"?With "immediate effect" sounds extremely ominous.

What is a feckin freeze anyway?

Excuse me if I take your post with a pinch of salt as it seems to be your first one on this forum....

pessimist/sceptic in me...eh,delancy?

Oh,and I wouldnt be surprise if psni took some time off as Im sure he will be inundated with queries

Take my post as you see fit. I thought my information may have been valued by those wishing to join the organisation, and who are being sucked in by the scare mongering being displayed by a minority of members on this forum.

It will all become clear in time; all of your questions will be answered.

You should remember that one of the key elements of being an effective Police Officer is your ability to work well as part of a team. Policing is a highly stressful and pressurised work environment and people who display negative attitudes and whose sole aim is to lower moral should really consider if they are exploring the right career.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kc29

well said insider1. Glad you put your post on. I'll take some hope from it unless i'm told otherwise by the powers that be.

Many thanks for your post insider1 - I don't believe anyone intended to disrespect you - folks here are naturally a bit shocked and upset at the news , thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

"It will all become clear in time; all of your questions will be answered":)

Cool Man.

• Advertisement

Fair enough..taken onboard

thanks for quoting me in your scaremongering statement though....
    The top man is to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BelfastJarhead

Thank You Insider! I am just waiting until I get to train in August, your reply has put me at ease!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Cheers insider. How many people do you think would be recruited then in that space of time?

Just noticed this little line in an article...maybe means something?

"The decisions will be reviewed in the autumn when the police will know details of the budget cuts they are expected to make as part of government cutbacks."

:confused:
    So maybe if they don't know the details of the cuts yet, they haven't actually recieved them yet, therefore this years campaign is safe because like cashflow said it was already budgeted for, so its future campaigns that are affected??

It's entirely possible you are correct plugin - however I think we should wait for more news on this - as of now there is just 1 item on UTV. I would like to see what the Telegraph , etc have to say about it tomorrow.

We are in an information vacuum at the moment ( notwithstanding theInsider 1 contribution ) and in a vacuum like this all sorts of crazy theories gain an undeserved credence - anyone who is familiar with the Garda Recruitment forum will know exactly what I'm talking about , in relation to the AGS recruitment freeze I saw the wackiest speculation - talk of adding 2 and 2 and getting 50 !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Oh psni where art thou?? We need your wise words and inside info before we start rioting :D
    kc29 wrote: »
    does psni moderator have a comment or are we all goin to be left hanging!
    cesc77 wrote: »
    Does the moderator, psni have anything which he may have heard to aley fears ,or is it a case of wait on the Dear Johns across the board
    Hmm...I'm intrigued! Username: theinsider, Join date: today,... Or has psni set himself up another account to tell us...

Hi guys.

I'm here and I know as much as you do. The general consensus in work is a hire freeze is a hire freeze. Anyone can sign up an account and call it 'insiderLOL' to have a little fun with the upset this has caused. I'll leave it up to you who you want to trust and believe.

We're actually being kept in the dark about it, but I do know that there is unease in Garnerville because a lot of people who had become used to a cushy number are being turfed back out on the streets - and rightly so!

You all want the truth, so I'll give it to you: I don't know. I don't know if those currently going through the process will simply have their "Pause" button pressed indefinitely (just like the hundreds who applied to become Gardai in 2008 who are still on "Pause").

My advice to you all is not to call the PSNI over this, because the poor soul on the other end of the phone will not have a clue, and they will be given a standard script to recite, which will just agitate you further.

Final piece of advice is to remember there are people out there who consider this to be a wet dream come true. This news is likely to bring plenty of "Insiders" "in the know" to the forum with cryptic bullsh1t, and cleverly worded "facts" to prey on your desperation just for their kicks.

Be calm people. I'll try and find out as much as I can, as quickly as I can, so just bear with me. I'll be the one who gives reliable updates. For your sanity's sake, consider anything else for now to be untrue unless it comes direcly from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mal85

my heart sank when i saw the news, real smack in the face, specially after going through that ac and handing over my vetting papers

Ill be very keen to see what you find out mr psni :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Bifbert

Thanks psni. Hope David Cameron's bullsh!t will turn out untrue. I know it is inevitable that there will be cuts and freezes but please give us one more chance to get in to the job we want. I only want to help people and be proud of myself and country. Give us another big recruitment whoever will be running it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Food for thought boys and girls: It costs around £50,000 just to train one Student Officer and have him/her attest and get working. If this hire freeze is with immediate effect, and there's an average of 50 students in one intake, then the decision not to have an August intake has just saved the organisation £2.5 million.

I've watched you guys posting away here moving from stage to stage - some with very impressive scores.

To those who really want this to be their lives (and yes, even those desperate for any old job) I hope this isn't what it looks like on the surface, and I hope it's just a media translation error. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have gone through everything only to be told it might have all been in vain.

Like I said above, give me a little break, and I'll do my best for the forum and for you guys who are floating around in limbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 kc29

Thanks psni. Things look pretty grim. Im an rc who has finally felt that things have changed enough to apply for the police. Now that ive went this far with the end in sight(vetting forms sent 3 weeks ago) this is a real kick to the swingers.
    A bit puzzled how Matt Baggot thinks he needs another 400 officers to protect vulnerable targets from attack yet puts a freeze on.
    All seems a bit contradictory and stinks of some kind of horse trading power struggle.
    I might be wrong but not recruiting more officers for the streets is really daft. More hoods and general scumbags who already have the run of the place are boubd to be wetting themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

Does anyone know if the AC's are still on-going, or have they been frozen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

I've been trying to ring recruitment this morning but they're not answering :(

Bubbles34 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the AC's are still on-going, or have they been frozen?

I don't think anyone knows is probably the correct answer. Needless to say I would advise anyone still to do the AC that in the absence of any communication from Deloitte they attend their AC as scheduled.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/police-budget-to-be-cut-by-pound1m-a-week-14863232.html

Check out the Belfast Telegraph link - it certainly does not present a pretty picture of the P.S.N.I. budgetary situation. Alas it just refers to a hiring freeze but no additional details.

Cheers psni! I know were all a bit uptight buy I'm sure everyones just the same as me, hard not to be upset as with so little information it's too easy to fear the worst :(

Had a look at the papers this morning, no real extra info in them just the same "recruitment freeze" story, still not looking good. I just hope there's still people on here that have still to do there AC, if they turn up and it goes ahead it will hopefully be a glimmer of hope for us all for this campaigns safety!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

I just hope there's still people on here that have still to do there AC, if they turn up and it goes ahead it will hopefully be a glimmer of hope for us all for this campaigns safety!

Yep. Thats kinda what I was gettin at. If delloite continue with the AC's, that would surely give us something to hang on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Troy Bayliss

If this is the final answer then the least I'd expect is a letter from Deloitte saying so/or the psni.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

jclegs wrote: »
    I've been trying to ring recruitment this morning but they're not answering :(

I read on the previous page you are due to start in August... me too. I rang the recruitment office this morning but they didn't answer until the 3rd attempt.

The woman didn't sound like she knew what was going on. She gave the impression they hadn't been told anything concrete but did say that they had got an e-mail saying the August intake would go ahead.

It's not good for those that have been told they are starting and have given their notice to the current employers

Has anyone else rang?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

I read on the previous page you are due to start in August... me too. I rang the recruitment office this morning but they didn't answer until the 3rd attempt.

The woman didn't sound like she knew what was going on. She gave the impression they hadn't been told anything concrete but did say that they had got an e-mail saying the August intake would go ahead.

It's not good for those that have been told they are starting and have given their notice to the current employers

Has anyone else rang?

I finished up work a while back and have made most of the arrangments, such as moving out of my current house, already. If the August intake does not happen, even though I am semi-confident it will as surely it would be covered in the 2010 budget, it would be an awful disaster and on to the dole queue for me!

Advertisement