Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment Freeze

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Has anyone else rang?
    psni wrote: »

My advice to you all is not to call the PSNI over this, because the poor soul on the other end of the phone will not have a clue.

Has anyone else taken the time to read what I wrote above?

Stop calling them! They don't know what to tell you, and it's likely that one person will tell you one thing, then someone else will tell you something else. They're just administrators on barely above the minimum wage, and they are not prepared or trained for bombshells like this.

Think about it. If the organisation had something to say, it'd be all over the papers and the site, because every phone call about this is taking time away from the administrator - time that they should be spending doing something else.

Do them a favour: Stop calling them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

Has anyone else taken the time to read what I wrote above?

Stop calling them! They don't know what to tell you, and it's likely that one person will tell you one thing, then someone else will tell you something else. They're just administrators on barely above the minimum wage, and they are not prepared or trained for bombshells like this.

Think about it. If the organisation had something to say, it'd be all over the papers and the site, because every phone call about this is taking time away from the administrator - time that they should be spending doing something else.

Do them a favour: Stop calling them!

I phoned before I knew this board even existed. It's the natural response when you want to find out some info is it not?

Anyway, I would have hoped that these afministrators bosses would have been advising their staff what the position was so they knew how to handle the inevitable queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kc29

Mr PSNI. Just waiting patiently here for you to find out the score!

True that! I did find it strange last night when the news feed on the psni website was updated with an article about the meeting this has came from, but nothing at all was mentioned in it about this freeze, just budgets and targets etc etc... maybe all is not quite clear yet and things are still in limbo. Hopefully this freeze business has been picked up wrong by the press and as usual blown out of proportion. We only have snippits of info here to work on, and those are the juiciest bits that the press has chose to report.
    I may be clutching at straws here but hey, it's keeping me from being majorly depressed about the whole thing! so until we get some sort of official word, I'll keep doing so :D

The budget bit doesnt make sense. Surely this campaign is bound to have been budgeted for already. This couldnt have come as a bolt from the blue and if it didnt why did they bother their backsides letting us get this far.
    None of it makes sense especially as patton targets have to be met by 2011. How are they goin to do this if they freeze recruitment? Someone enlighten me if they think i'm wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Robocop_N.I

I've just spoken to Deloitte who have assured me that all candidates from the current campaign, including those who have yet to attend assessment centres, are safe. The freeze applies to future campaigns. I asked if this was 100% official and was told that they had direct contact with the psni recruitment team this morning and were assured beyond a shadow of a doubt that the current campaign is totally unaffected by yesterday's announcement.

Nice one robocop. I can go on the lash this evening and enjoy myself now!

In addition, if you think back to the letters we received months ago, it stated then that this was the last full scale recruitment campaign for some time, and that 50/50 selection was coming to an end.

Yesterday's announcement is likely the first time that this message was communicated to the press/general public, whereas we were informed some time ago.

It seems likely the freeze announcement merely echoes what we already knew, but has understandably sparked fears from the current crop of candidates.

That makes sense. Also explains why were told not to defer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

As I mentioned in a previous post I think a recruitment freeze was inevitable given the huge cuts that in fairness have been flagged for quite some time. I am however stunned that a freeze would be implemented before the 30% RC representation target as set by Patten was reached.
    The budget cuts facing the P.S.N.I ( as reported by the media ) seem to be huge and while more intakes may be budgeted for this year there is the issue of paying for these new officers next year.

There are positive and negative angles to this all and we could write a thesis based on speculation and hope but the best thing is to sit tight and wait for concrete information (i.e. from psni ) - I saw all this happen before on the Garda Recruitment forum , endless and fruitless speculation which were it to be replicated on this forum would for me be a major turn off.

• Advertisement

I've just spoken to Deloitte who have assured me that all candidates from the current campaign, including those who have yet to attend assessment centres, are safe. The freeze applies to future campaigns. I asked if this was 100% official and was told that they had direct contact with the psni recruitment team this morning and were assured beyond a shadow of a doubt that the current campaign is totally unaffected by yesterday's announcement.
    Well I hope so and thanks for the info. It'd be a disgrace if nobody was talking to each other and nobody knew where anybody stood on the whole matter.

There should be specified lines to take in any business when something like this happens so that the information is clear and everyone is told the same thing.

It's a travesty if the people who are making the decisions are not informing other within the business in advance of what is going on. It should be unthinkable for a branch like the recruitment office to only be finding out about this on the same day as the general public are. Unforuntatley these days it doesn't really surprise me.

I feel sorry for the ones on the phones being battered by calls as it's not their fault.

delancey42 wrote: »

There are positive and negative angles to this all and we could write a thesis based on speculation and hope but the best thing is to sit tight and wait for concrete information (i.e. from psni ) - I saw all this happen before on the Garda Recruitment forum , endless and fruitless speculation which were it to be replicated on this forum would for me be a major turn off.

You have a point there, but its so difficult for us all not to speculate when such a bombshell is dropped with no info given to those currently in the process, its fairly disgraceful tbh. I was reassured by what deloitte told me but i can't get it out of my head that "Chief Constable Matt Baggott confirmed the temporary freeze will begin immediately."

In summary, Delancy hit the nail on the head, until we hear from the PSNI directly, eveything else is just pure speculation. It would be nice to assume that Deloitte would know/speak the truth but I'm reluctant to count on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Define "safe"! What if they fail medicals or vetting? Oh yeah, Deloitte will get paid in full for their work. No doubt about that, but once they do their bit, they take a step back and it's handed over to the organisation to manage.

A hire freeze: Think about it - The organisation has paid an external body to test people to see if they'd be up to the job if they are hiring. The external body provides the organisation with a list of people who are suitable and takes the cheque.

The organisation then sets about offering medicals, vetting, yada yada to the people on the list who are suitable if they are hiring - which they were in May, but will they be hiring in August after a Hire Freeze was announced?

That's the $64,000,000 gold question which I hope to be able to answer soon!

Define "safe"! What if they fail medicals or vetting? Oh yeah, Deloitte will get paid in full for their work. No doubt about that, but once they do their bit, they take a step back and it's handed over to the organisation to manage.

A hire freeze: Think about it - The organisation has paid an external body to test people to see if they'd be up to the job if they are hiring. The external body provides the organisation with a list of people who are suitable and takes the cheque.

The organisation then sets about offering medicals, vetting, yada yada to the people on the list who are suitable if they are hiring - which they were in May, but will they be hiring in August after a Hire Freeze was announced?

That's the $64,000,000 gold question which I hope to be able to answer soon!
    And I hope it's a positive answer!

The PSNI would save an awful lot of money if they knocked all these tests on the head.

PSNI. I have worked with recruiters before and i was led to believe that they only get paid when the jobs are filled. Not for who they put forward. I may be wrong but thats the way it normally is, otherwise they could put forward any tom, dick or harry. Why not if they are getting paid anyway! If i'm way off the mark please enlighten me.

kc29 wrote: »
    PSNI. I have worked with recruiters before and i was led to believe that they only get paid when the jobs are filled. Not for who they put forward. I may be wrong but thats the way it normally is, otherwise they could put forward any tom, dick or harry. Why not if they are getting paid anyway! If i'm way off the mark please enlighten me.

Not so with Deloitte. They're not recruiters or a recruitment agency. They have a contract with the PSNI to conduct a part of their recruitment. You're thinking of something completely different.

just hecking. Thanks for clearing that up. So basically deloitte may be passing the buck as it no longer concerns them what happens.

They just run the ISTs and ACs, cash the cheque, and move on to another client.

so they'll basically say anything to avoid listening to agro.
    Have you any idea when you may have an update for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

The PSNI would save an awful lot of money if they knocked all these tests on the head.

Delloites part in this campaign will be protected by a binding contract, or at least I would assume it would be. So the psni stopping the AC's at this stage might not save any money.

But what Delloite has told Robocop does make sense, when you merge it with what we all already knew, ie the footnotes on our pass letters about no planned future campaigns etc.

As everyone else is saying, we wont know anything concrete until we hear something definitive from psni. Although could this be a case of "no news is good news". Sorry for speculating, but might as well chip-in.

• Advertisement

We're goin to hear at 4.00pm on that new thread

Bubbles34 wrote: »
    Although could this be a case of "no news is good news". Sorry for speculating, but might as well chip-in.

Well it's maybe too early for news to come out even tho it should be clarified. I think if the Aug intake is stopped then the first we'll hear of it is when a letter drops through the door from recruitment telling those the bad news.

Speculating is all we can do until official word comes through.

psni said official word was coming at 4.00pm on another thread. Guess we wait and see, check the main board menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BelfastJarhead

Thanks PSNI for all your help! I am just so happy that there is an August intake. Just left work and was totally screwed if they cancelled it! Thanks again for the info.

Well the official word is there now - good news for august intake but bad news for everyone in C 16 - no more intakes after August until the freeze is lifted , I would not like to speculate on when that may be :(

The positive thing here is that we dont have to repeat the ist and ac. I can wait. Its not ideal but there you go. We're still there allbeit in a state of suspension. Its definatly better than see you later.
    Keep your chins up!

Thanks for the info, PSNI.

What role do you have (or can someone else say) as I'm new to the boards. Not that i'm trying to say your info is not legitimate; just asking to put my mind at ease as I am one of the ones whose job is dependent on the august intake.

The matter is totally beyond our control so there is nothing to do but grin and bear it I suppose - I wonder will medicals go ahead for those who already have them booked ? I would be curious as to whether the P.S.N.I. / Deloitte will write to us with an official explanation of the position ?

Thanks for the info, PSNI.

What role do you have (or can someone else say) as I'm new to the boards.

I don't answer personal questions, but click here (my profile), then click the Statistics tab. Take a look at the number of "Thanks" I've amassed. Some of these are from people who were in your situation, they took my advice as a PSNI Constable, and they are now on the mean streets "kickin' ass and takin' names".

Convinced you're in safe hands?

• Advertisement

delancey42 wrote: »
    TI wonder will medicals go ahead for those who already have them booked ? I would be curious as to whether the P.S.N.I. / Deloitte will write to us with an official explanation of the position ?

Yeah I'm sure you'll all get standard letters at some point in the future, but the medical is an interesting one. AFAIK medicals expire after a year so there would just be no point.

Advertisement