Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recruitment Freeze

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Slightly off topic, but there is something I don't understand with PSNI & Gardai recruitment is the medical process. Having experienced the Gardai medical, a candidate at the Garda medical I attended, was found to have a serious heart problem & was not only informed he would not progress any further in the process, but he should go to hospital. Now this candidate had gone through both an entrance exam & an interview stage which cost both time & money.

Surely if the medical section was outsourced to private doctors, this would both reduce unsuitable candidates at an earlier stage & save money? Sorry if the PSNI medical section works differently from the Garda one, just my two cents worth:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

psni wrote: »
    I don't answer personal questions, but click here (my profile), then click the Statistics tab. Take a look at the number of "Thanks" I've amassed. Some of these are from people who were in your situation, they took my advice as a PSNI Constable, and they are now on the mean streets "kickin' ass and takin' names".

Convinced you're in safe hands?
    I never doubted you! Thanks again for the info.

As far as hearing from the recuitment office is concerned, I guess no news is good news as the last I heard I was starting in August so if I don't hear anything then that will stand stand. If a letter from the PSNI drops through my door in the few weeks then I'll panic more than I was today. I'll be jobless in 2 weeks so for my own sake if the Aug intake isn't happening then they need to tell people ASAP so I can retract that letter of resignation.

Adolphus will like this info as he said earlier he had already packed up his job and home to start in August. Your info will be music to his ears!
    Surely if the medical section was outsourced to private doctors, this would both reduce unsuitable candidates at an earlier stage & save money? Sorry if the PSNI medical section works differently from the Garda one, just my two cents worth:)

But they only want to send people for a medical if they are going to be offered a position. If the medical was done earlier then they would have to go through the time consuming part of testing people who they have no intention of offering a job in the first place. They need to test with their own doctor for completeness sake and they do also take in to account what your own GP says too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

Question... what about people who failed this time around and are hoping for future campaigns.. when do you think this freeze will end?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Probably indefinite, that seems to be the theory around the water coolers in G/ville as it stands.

As I mentioned in a previous post, a lot of the training staff are going back on the streets, leaving garnerville with a skeleton staff. The only students going to be there for a while will be serving constables on firearms/crime courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

I've just been told by a mate that recruitment is only postponed for 6 months.

This friends parent is a PSNI constable which is where he received this info from and apparently its its true (hope so anyway)

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

dixie33 wrote: »
    I've just been told by a mate that recruitment is only postponed for 6 months.

This friends parent is a PSNI constable which is where he received this info from and apparently its its true (hope so anyway)

:)

I'm afraid that's pure guesswork. That information hasn't been released yet because it hasn't been decided by the powers that be yet. I think such a hugely significant piece of news would make headline news, don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

psni wrote: »
    I'm afraid that's pure guesswork. That information hasn't been released yet because it hasn't been decided by the powers that be yet. I think such a hugely significant piece of news would make headline news, don't you?

tbh i did think it was too good to be true :(
    but my mate sounded so sure and im trying to be as positive as possible lol

anyway thanx for the clarification psni :)

I'm guessing we'll not know anything like that for a while...
    "The decisions will be reviewed in the autumn when the police will know details of the budget cuts they are expected to make as part of government cutbacks."
    Not that I want to wait that long, ofcourse that is if we even do get told how long it will last... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

chatting to someone on the inside...ive heard that august will be the last intake, but they may try and rush through some c16ers before the cut really kicks on...would be nice wouldnt it? im not holding my breath though, ive got my thermals on ready to sit this one out

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Which would be for the best. General consensus (nothing concrete) is that this is likely to last a few years, at least until the economy gets itself up and running again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi everyone.

You may have noticed some of your posts have been deleted.

We all say things we don't mean to say in the heat of the moment, or when the chips are down. It's so easy to just read something the wrong way, and when that's combined with feeling really low, we can say things we later regret and feel sorry for.

I believe everyone deserves a second chance, especially when we consider how the recent news has left so many of us shell-shocked.

I have the utmost respect for anyone who admits they were wrong and offers to wipe the slate clean, and I will always do everything I can to help someone rectify their mistakes on this forum.

Thanks for reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

"The PSNI have advised us that the suspension of Recruitment is an interim measure, pending a review of affordability in light of anticipated cuts to public sector budgets. As this position is not yet clear, we have been asked to progress the conclusion of the current campaign as planned."

Just read this on the PSNI website, and must admit, although initially a bit downheartened by the announcement, it is totally outside anyone (outside of Stormont and downing st) control.

This is the second time I applied, first was back in 2000 - 2001, when I was turned down becuse I'm diabetic - now that was a real kick in the nuts, to get right through and for them to then tell you that an illness that I had no way to avoid, was the reason I couldn't do the job I'd always wanted. So I finished uni and then started working, here I am now, medical in 2 weeks, and I'm just taking it one day at a time. But just a quick word to everyone, keep the chins up and try and stay positive. This isn;t the end of the road, just a minor detour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Cashflow,on reflection the comments I made were over the top and unnecessary.

I can only put it down to frustration at the current situation.It was by no means personal.I think Ill have to lighten up when others speculate and offer thoughts as there is going to be a lot of it before we see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Can I take this opportunity to wish you all the best in GV.

Hey guys

Hopefully someone will be able to clarify this for me as I'm uber confused!

Sat my AST at the start of June and received my vetting papers about 4 days later and then a pass letter confirming I'd passed AST a week or so later, then a couple of days after that my medical date.

My medical date is in a couple of weeks, but with this whole freeze I'm not really sure where I'm at? If I pass it, do I then go in the freeze - if so when it ends do I then just pick up from there with the same merit pool number (how do I find that out by the way? )

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 skatestraight

Hey guys

Hopefully someone will be able to clarify this for me as I'm uber confused!

Sat my AST at the start of June and received my vetting papers about 4 days later and then a pass letter confirming I'd passed AST a week or so later, then a couple of days after that my medical date.

My medical date is in a couple of weeks, but with this whole freeze I'm not really sure where I'm at? If I pass it, do I then go in the freeze - if so when it ends do I then just pick up from there with the same merit pool number (how do I find that out by the way? )

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Stillhopefull - i'm not sure how you got a medical so quick considering vetting normally takes a minimium of 1-2months by the time they check you never mind your family details - concerns me how quick ya got it!

So far i did my AC in the middle of May, within a week i recieved both the pass letter and vetting pack. I will be surprised if i get a date for the medical but by the way i read the page from deliotte today i beleive the PSNI are proceeding with the vetting and medicals in order to draw up the list before the freeze then depending on the budgets they will go from there from this new list. Time is no problem just as long as you know for certain ur going to get in.

Once you receive your feedback from deliotte you will be able to make an informed guess as to how likely that is.. Deliotte pass scored i believe is normally around the high 40's mark.. 45-48 but that does not mean you have made it through thats just their score, the PSNIs mark is normally in the mid to high 50's - 54 up. So you will be better informed at the end of august when you receive your feedback.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Stillhopefull - i'm not sure how you got a medical so quick considering vetting normally takes a minimium of 1-2months by the time they check you never mind your family details - concerns me how quick ya got it!

Most people get called for medical while their vetting is ongoing.You are not required to pass vetting before you get a medical date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 skatestraight

Theretically would that not be a waste of money to give someone a medical if they do not pass the vetting? I'm not fully aware of the processes, but by others i know that have got into the PSNI they all seem to think, its one step at a time. IST, AC, Vetting, Medical, Merit List, then appointments.

Awk well lets play the fine waiting game until we either receive word from the PSNI or our feedback sheets from Deliotte.

I was surprised as anyone to get the forms through so quick!

Just picked up my MHQ .................£35!!!! I near soiled myself!

If I do get in, first thing is to investigate my GP, as they were wearing masks and strpy jumpers when I handed over my cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

Theretically would that not be a waste of money to give someone a medical if they do not pass the vetting? I'm not fully aware of the processes, but by others i know that have got into the PSNI they all seem to think, its one step at a time. IST, AC, Vetting, Medical, Merit List, then appointments.

Awk well lets play the fine waiting game until we either receive word from the PSNI or our feedback sheets from Deliotte.

Not necessarily, most people will have their medical either passed or failed well before they find out about their vetting (as it can take months to process) also, I knew my merit placing before I even got the forms for both medical and vetting. You could be number one on the merit list and not get appointed if you then fail either of these.

I was surprised as anyone to get the forms through so quick!

Just picked up my MHQ .................£35!!!! I near soiled myself!

If I do get in, first thing is to investigate my GP, as they were wearing masks and strpy jumpers when I handed over my cash!

You Northern folks are spoiled with your free GP visits - poor Southerners cough up every time . Last year one girl in Norn Iron got screwed by her GP on her MHQ - charged her £STG 80 ! I think she did soil herself :D

• Advertisement

Can someone enlighten me, what is a MHQ?? :D

MHQ = Medical History Questionnaire , sorry - if you didn't know that then you have failed the test :D

Might also mean Medical Health Questionnaire but I prefer the first one

Failed what test?? You've me worried now! Is this coming from medical forms or is this on your AC pass letter or what? Because I never got medical forms before the freeze, only got my pass letter last Thurs so I'm hoping that's where this is from!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

Failed what test?? You've me worried now! Is this coming from medical forms or is this on your AC pass letter or what? Because I never got medical forms before the freeze, only got my pass letter last Thurs so I'm hoping that's where this is from!:confused:

delancy is only jesting pluginbaby. There is no test.

Ok, got my deloitte letter today (as I assume everyone will) and someone on the medical thread got their medical forms today. So it looks as if they are going to take C16 a bit further then!

Perhaps they've just done all this for a bit of jest? Some do have a twisted sense of humor, I once got breathalysed after someone went in the back of my car, the officer told me I'd failed............but I hadn't had a drink for 3 weeks! He said he just wanted to see my reaction!

Bubbles34 wrote: »
    delancy is only jesting pluginbaby. There is no test.

Ok, got my deloitte letter today (as I assume everyone will) and someone on the medical thread got their medical forms today. So it looks as if they are going to take C16 a bit further then!

Aah thank god for that, really was concerned there! I did wonder what was with the :D face after it! I'll remember that delancey... one day we'll all be in gv together , I will have my revenge :D that was cruel lol

That medical form is a surprise for sure, atleast things are still happening, how far though is the question!

Perhaps they've just done all this for a bit of jest? Some do have a twisted sense of humor, I once got breathalysed after someone went in the back of my car, the officer told me I'd failed............but I hadn't had a drink for 3 weeks! He said he just wanted to see my reaction!

You think thats bad ? I have a friend who was in the Met , when recovering stolen vehicles he found it highly amusing to ask innocent members of the public for help in pushing them and when that was done he would produce his handcuffs and say '' thanks for leaving your fingerprints on it '' :D He said it was sickeningly funny but he always had a warped sense of humour.............

Aah thank god for that, really was concerned there! I did wonder what was with the :D face after it! I'll remember that delancey... one day we'll all be in gv together , I will have my revenge :D that was cruel lol
    /QUOTE]

Ach , pity that - I was going to post about psni adding to his list of stupid reasons people leave GV - item 11 '' Did not know what MHQ was '' - that would really have freaked you out plugin :p:D
    I suppose this cursed freeze has everyones nerves jingling and jangling.

delancey42 wrote: »
    You think thats bad ? I have a friend who was in the Met , when recovering stolen vehicles he found it highly amusing to ask innocent members of the public for help in pushing them and when that was done he would produce his handcuffs and say '' thanks for leaving your fingerprints on it '' :D He said it was sickeningly funny but he always had a warped sense of humour.............

:D That's just brilliant that is!

Having just got my little Deloitte letter today and getting to read it myself in full, and hearing word on here about medicals being sent out again, I'm tempted to think they are going to finish off this campaign up until the point where calls would normally start going out, so that in the autumn if by some miracle the budget isn't as bad they can continue on. Or if it is as feared and the freeze is put well and truely on for a year or however, they are in the best possible position to jump straight back into recruitment as soon as it's lifted again.
    But still I'm not allowing myself to get my hopes up :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

As pluginbaby says I got that the letter today for Deloitte also. Just to clarify will they continue with the whole recruitment process & then put everyone on freeze or will the recruitment process just pause now or does anyone even know?

Thanks everyone

Advertisement