Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment Freeze

Options
  • 01-07-2010 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Just heard on the news that PSNI recruitment has been frozen for the foreseeable future!!! Can't believe it! Major gutted :( What's people's thoughts on this etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

I watched that then rewinded and listened again and I think it's from after march , or il rephrase that I hope it's after march still can't work it out when I listen lol

Watched it again it starts as off now :( !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭princess deity

here calm down peeps. if you think about it this way, money has been pumped into this campaign and i would safely say they are not going to go to the loss, so i would say its future campaigns are on a freeze.
    now the super dooper fast process is making scene.....

WTF??? I just got home and it's the first thing I hear on the telly! Raging doesn't even come close... I only just got my AC pass today :( Really do
    hope it's no more campaigns and not actually immediate but it doesn't sound that way. Truely gutted.

Wonder will we get official word from the psni??

:(

here calm down peeps. if you think about it this way, money has been pumped into this campaign and i would safely say they are not going to go to the loss, so i would say its future campaigns are on a freeze.

that could be poss as the letters did say dont defer as march will be end of the recuitment or something on them along them lines

but they said it was from immediate effect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

Naw but I'm gutted cuz I failed this time around lol and I was putting my faith in future campaigns... which are now down the sh1tter :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭wannabe2010

Btw congratz plugin :) hope my (NON-ILLEGAL just so yous know lol) tips helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Bubbles34

FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Just when everything was going well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Troy Bayliss

Wasn't that a bolt from the blue, on the plus side he could be positioning for more money on the negative he is serious and its kapput for us.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

What does this mean for the August intake? I'd be gutted to get this far and then be told sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Ive just got home from my AC to hear this.I am furious,not just as applicant but as a citizen that this government is freezing recruitment at a time when the threat level is severe.
    If he has to save around 150 million then the money wasted on recruiting is small fry.
    Nothing surprises me any more and I have so much sympathy for those who are on the cusp of starting....
    If this is true I shall be considering the mainland before applying here again.
    This part of the boards site will be a wasteland.......
    Does the moderator, psni have anything which he may have heard to aley fears ,or is it a case of wait on the Dear Johns across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭VES86

i cant believe alex maskey is complaining that the 50/50 quota hasnt been met...like seriously...does he not think that no new recurits to bolster numbers at a time when dissident threats is so high may be a slightly bigger issue and one better to raise? politicians are twats

or they are just blazing through this "campaign" as they knew this freeze was coming and wanted to i guess use the service they have already paid deloitte etc for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Waiting Game

I hope those of you who have all the stages completed wont be scrapped..I know how I'd feel if the same were to happen with my Garda Siochana application.I saw few weeks back there on bbc news where the Met Police told 2,000 people who had all stages completed that they were scrapped.

cesc77 wrote: »
    Ive just got home from my AC to hear this.I am furious,not just as applicant but as a citizen that this government is freezing recruitment at a time when the threat level is severe.
    If he has to save around 150 million then the money wasted on recruiting is small fry.

Don't get me started on the government :mad: They can afford to keep throwing away money on things like benefits for people who there isn't a damn thing wrong with them, yet it's ok to lump ridiculous budget cuts on police forces that are already stretched...they may save money, but we will all suffer for it as a community. The PSNI is one of, if the the largest force in proportion to the size of the area it serves, but it's like that for a reason. This is not the right way to go given the current threat situation, the gorverment needs to catch the f**k on.

Part of me really wants to believe that they have just misused the word "immediate" and that they really mean no more campaigns, and that we'll be fine as if this has been brewing for a while (which by the looks of it, it has) then they wouldn't have wasted so much money going through the largest and most expensive parts of the campaign only to let that be a complete waste and the rest of this campaign will continue. But then the other part of me just thinks of the Met, they were completly through the process and were ready to start training but still that was the end for them, which indicates were f**ked...

If this is simply end of recruitment full stop, I feel truely sorry for those who have just recieved the call from the last campaign.

Can't I just have one full day of happiness in peace ffs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

As was posted previously,like you say pluginbaby, on another thread 2000....yes 2000 met recruits due to start were told.....sorry dont need you now...please feel free to reapply at a future date.
    Do not be surprised if this is exactly what happens here.
    Good old Cameron,eh?
    I concur about the scroungers, but who are we but the taxpayers who pay for their "lifestyle choice"...

"Mr Baggott said if the proposal did not get support, he would have to recruit an extra 400 officers to do the job."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/northern_ireland/10477246.stm

?! Confused ?! Does

• Registered Users Posts: 41 kc29

in same boat as everyone else here. does psni moderator have a comment or are we all goin to be left hanging!

• Advertisement

shampon wrote: »
    "Mr Baggott said if the proposal did not get support, he would have to recruit an extra 400 officers to do the job."

?! Confused ?! Does

looking at it positivley...maybe the last intake and some of this campaign can provide those officers.....thats always a hope....a faint faint hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

What a major kick in the balls,same thing happened in the garda I have mates who applied during the 2008 campaign passed all their tests then were left waiting for the last 2 years due to recruitment freeze,majorly peed off,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Kaori

Just a thought, they have said recruitment freeze, not cancellation. Maybe those who get through to the end will be kept on a list until recruitment, er, thaws? :) You never know...

?! Confused ?! Does

Aah that's what that bit was! Somebody kept talking over it at me (and nearly got a punch in the face to shut them up!) all I heard was recruit 400 something something...

I did have an inkling last night when I heard this talk of using civilian guards that it was a bad sign, really didn't expect this though!

Oh psni where art thou?? We need your wise words and inside info before we start rioting :D ...maybe not a bad idea that, might show them this is a completly stupid thing to do and that they need more officers!

edit: I am totally not endorsing rioting, honest :D

Kaori wrote: »
    Just a thought, they have said recruitment freeze, not cancellation. Maybe those who get through to the end will be kept on a list until recruitment, er, thaws? :) You never know...

fingers crossed.

being a police officer has been a wish of mine from childhood. this is like a kick in the teeth...bring on another couple of years of a tedious job i have no intrest in..grrrrrrreat

"The department has asked all the areas that it funds to produce plans as to how it would make cuts against two scenarios, 5% year on year and 8% year on year," he said.

"We have not asked anyone to make any level of cuts for 2011 on because the budget outcome is not yet known"

I'm going to remain positive...I believe this is smoke and mirror type shiiiiiiite. You know, he wants an extra 5 million a year so he fly's a kite, uproar ensues, he get's his 5 mil...?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Well I guess I can give some small information from inside the force, at least what I know anyway.

Garnerville is downsizing, big time. A few weeks ago all of the Sergeants were interviewed for their current training job, I can't remember how many they were keeping, but its roughly half. The other half are going back on the streets.

Essentially, this means that the amount of recruits that will be in training at any one time will more than likely be smaller, so expect less intakes/smaller squads per intake.

However, its not all doom and gloom. I saw a list (not revealing where) of all the intakes happening within the next year, and there are are still some running into 2011. The recruitment freeze more than likely means anything past the current campaign, as the budget would already have allowed for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I would like to see more information before coming to a conclusion - one link to a UTV news item is all I have seen , that said the words '' with immediate effect '' are pretty chilling.
    I have to say that a recruitment freeze was inevitable at some point given the huge cuts required in UK public spending - my hope was the freeze would be after C 16 was finished.
    If this freeze is as bad as some fear , one thing it will mean is that when recruitment resumes ( whenever that may be ) that 50/50 will have to be extended again - it was due to end in March 2011 at which point 30% RC representation would have been reached , that target cannot be reached if recruitment freezes now.
    I note that nothing has been mentioned about the Full-Time reserve - that suggests their abolition will happen as planned - again I had hoped their disbandment would mean more recruitment.

How this announcement impacts those due to go to GV in August is a good question.

I really would like to see more detailed info.

Cashflow wrote: »
    Well I guess I can give some small information from inside the force, at least what I know anyway.

Garnerville is downsizing, big time. A few weeks ago all of the Sergeants were interviewed for their current training job, I can't remember how many they were keeping, but its roughly half. The other half are going back on the streets.

Essentially, this means that the amount of recruits that will be in training at any one time will more than likely be smaller, so expect less intakes/smaller squads per intake.

However, its not all doom and gloom. I saw a list (not revealing where) of all the intakes happening within the next year, and there are are still some running into 2011. The recruitment freeze more than likely means anything past the current campaign, as the budget would already have allowed for this one.

owe you a pint ?!

• Advertisement

"The department has asked all the areas that it funds to produce plans as to how it would make cuts against two scenarios, 5% year on year and 8% year on year," he said.

"We have not asked anyone to make any level of cuts for 2011 on because the budget outcome is not yet known"

I'm going to remain positive...I believe this is smoke and mirror type shiiiiiiite. You know, he wants an extra 5 million a year so he fly's a kite, uproar ensues, he get's his 5 mil...?

I want to be positive but I'm just finding it incredibly hard right now! There are so many little things that would lead us to believe that it's not quite what it appears to be at the moment, and that it's possibly a freeze in future campaigns. Even the wording in the AC letters, the abnormal speed of this campaign, the rumours that have been flying about for ages of an extra campaign being sqeezed out in Sept before budget cuts, what you have just quoted... it's just all strange.

I take it this also means the end of the plans for the new college, it sounded class :(

Advertisement