Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Ha, love the melodramatics in this thread. Relax guys the leaving cert means diddley squat in the real world.
    As for the guys cheating, i say fair play if they get away with it and get what they want out of it. It shows that a person is resourceful and willing to take whatever steps are necessary to get the job done. Would be an asset to any employer.
    Best of luck with the rest of the exams kids.
    Being resourceful is all well and good, but some jobs require a person to memorise a lot of facts and be able to rhyme them off at the drop of a hat. I wouldn't want a doctor -or any other type of medical practitioner- to need to carry a cheat-sheet to diagnose me in an emergency. I want my lawyers to have extensive knowledge of the legal system off-hand. I'd want a translator who didn't have to use a dictionary, a librarian that knew the systems in a library, etc.
    Sure you can cheat your way through exams and get into a great job, but once your employer finds out you're not nearly as qualified as you appear to be, they're not going to be too impressed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

blown way outta proportion..if people wanna cheat let them and if thety get caught thats there problem.....its not like there gonna get that much extra anyway.....plus can anybody anywhere honestly say theve never done something dishonest before...even something as simple as a cheat on an x-box game...get on with your l.c and dont worry about the rest......karma has a funny way of working so they'll get there's in time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

pecker1992 wrote: »
    blown way outta proportion..if people wanna cheat let them and if thety get caught thats there problem.....its not like there gonna get that much extra anyway.....plus can anybody anywhere honestly say theve never done something dishonest before...even something as simple as a cheat on an x-box game...get on with your l.c and dont worry about the rest......karma has a funny way of working so they'll get there's in time smile.gif
    That's some seriously faulty logic you're using; are you seriously trying to say that just because no one is prefect we should let others away with breaking the rules? What next, should we just shrug off someone for committing murder because everyone lashes out in anger at some point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

blown way outta proportion..if people wanna cheat let them and if thety get caught thats there problem.....its not like there gonna get that much extra anyway.....plus can anybody anywhere honestly say theve never done something dishonest before...even something as simple as a cheat on an x-box game...get on with your l.c and dont worry about the rest......karma has a funny way of working so they'll get there's in time :)

Laughable post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 shakeyabonbon

email the state examinations commission and the tell superintendants. cheating is so wrong and it is unbelievable that they would even risk it. dont bother confronting people about it. go to the higher powers. cheating is unfair to the rest of the students in the country that arent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

They're messing with your grades too :D Hope you don't mind that new deflated grade of yours, the aul D3!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

This thread is now going in circles.

Please read the full thread before posting, rather than repeating the same old rant (on either side of the argument) which has been posted 20 times before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Caron

Samskeyti wrote: »
    There's cheating happening in my school, the majority of students use the fact that the toilets are in our P.E hall and that the superintendents have no reason to follow them in. The students hide notes written from before the exam in their socks and pants and some even got away with having a phone on their lap for an entire paper and reading saved messages from it. Others used the bathroom to call students from other schools and got full answers on questions.

Our principal is a complete waster as students were caught cheating in the L.C.V.P exam and nothing was done about it. I thought if you were caught cheating that you couldn't sit another state exam? Should I inform the superintendents of how stupid they're being or e-mail the State Examinations Commission? I know for definate that Irish will be the exam that most will cheat on because of learning notes off by heart will prove too much effort for them. Help??:confused:
    loser.

Caron infracted for personal abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Scan Man

Hate to revive this topic, however feel it's wise to note that one of the major newspapers is carrying a story of a "major incident of cheating in the Leaving Cert" tomorrow, according to what was on Vincent Browne on TV3 tonight.

To be honest, I suspect a similar method of cheating (notes in the bathrooms or hidden under desks) is occurring in the Exam Centre where I'm sitting the Leaving, but I've no proof of this at the moment, and I don't really care. It's my second time sitting the Leaving, but I can't see it being the difference between anyone's grades, given that I outscored even the most obvious cheaters in the Mocks (which was a free-for-all in terms of cheating) without having done any real study.

I definitely think any evidence of cheating should be reported though, it sends out the wrong message to people. If they don't fall at this hurdle, they're going to fall somewhere else, but it's best that they fall at this one for the rest of us and society in general!

As already mentioned in the thread, don't expect your school or even the Superintendent to be of any help. They're not going to damage their reputation and prospect of future work with the SEC/DOE by reporting small time cheaters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Honestly? I just wouldn't have it in me to cheat. The consequences are too great, and you'd hardly get just a slap on the wrist for it. It's just not worth it.

Scan Man wrote: »
    Hate to revive this topic, however feel it's wise to note that one of the major newspapers is carrying a story of a "major incident of cheating in the Leaving Cert" tomorrow, according to what was on Vincent Browne on TV3 tonight.
    Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0615/1224272522104.html

It is the Irish Times alright.

The State Examinations Commission says it's monitoring Boards and other sites this year.

It has begun an investigation after a student contacted them about cheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

Oh dearie me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

well fair dues to whoever told. I usually hate snitches but something like this could affect our results so they did the right thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

There's always one :P
    schween wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0615/1224272522104.html

It is the Irish Times alright.

The State Examinations Commission says it's monitoring Boards and other sites this year.

It has begun an investigation after a student contacted them about cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

I wouldnt be worried about weaker students cheating too much but say those getting 400-550 points where an extra 20 or 30 points can get you your favorite choice etc. Also college places are expensive , medical degrees are worth a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

RTE have a hold of it too, The L.C has lost its integrity over the last few years
    Grind schools , Irish, English paper mix ups, and cheating on a large scale!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Just saw this in the Irish Times, I had to laugh as it's been happening for years.

Also, hi State Examinations Commission. (seeing as you're supposedly monitoring this) Remember me? I was the year that you f**ked up by bringing in the HPAT and the English paper 2 on a Saturday. Just wanted to say hi. :P

RTE have a hold of it too, The L.C has lost its integrity over the last few years
    Grind schools , Irish, English paper mix ups, and cheating on a large scale!!!!!

Don't forget, the "integrity of the exams must be upheld!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 iano1

pointless thread cheatin happens everywhere all u gotta do is do better, I think its dumb getting the media or whatever involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em.

iano1 wrote: »
    pointless thread cheatin happens everywhere all u gotta do is do better, I think its dumb getting the media or whatever involved
    I think the media may have gotten themselves involved! :)

They've been monitoring boards all week, and quoting excerpts of students' / users' reactions in the papers.

And cheating will continue to happen everywhere while people continue to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 iano1

I think the media may have gotten themselves involved! :)

They've been monitoring boards all week, and quoting excerpts of students' / users' reactions in the papers.

And cheating will continue to happen everywhere while people continue to accept it.

Thats why I think this is a dumb thread anyway to begin with. The first poster needs to get his priorities right, getting this worked up over a few cheaters, this thread will probably cause a bell curve ( dono what it is but yeah) with points. So basically aload of cheaters still get away with it, your pissed off because the points have risen, and there happy as larry.

Thats why I think this is a dumb thread anyway to begin with. The first poster needs to get his priorities right, getting this worked up over a few cheaters, this thread will probably cause a bell curve ...
    What?! :confused:
    ... dono what it is but yeah ...
    D'ya know, I half guessed! :D
    So basically a load of cheaters still get away with it, your pissed off because the points have risen, and there happy as larry.
    Seriously, wtf are you on about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

Don't be a snitch. Concentrate on your own performance in the exams.

Ha, front page of the Times tomorrow - some posters accusing the student of being a snitch! Just goes to show how careful u gotta be in whay ya say antwhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

This thread is national news?

hi_mom_by_dracula_vs_werewolf.jpg

Don't understand how anyone could cheat in an exam really.
    Wouldn't be able to do it myself, would always be in the back of my mind that I didn't really earn what I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Wow this is really getting some serious media attention.It can hardly be THAT much of a surprise to the SEC to find there's always the few cheaters:D....It's the most hyped exam of your life,some people just can't cope with the pressure or are being tormented by their parents to achieve something they can't so they resort to cheating.Guess it just expose another flaw of the big LC but honestly they shouldn't take it too personally.I'm sure there's cheating in some shape or form in state exams all around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tommytomtom

The LC is a terrible way of determining college places with most of what you do throughout 5th and 6th year irrelevant as long as you learn off loads and loads of material in the month leading up to the exam.

I don't mind saying it but I have cheated in three of my exams already. Mainly keywords of quotes to trigger the rest of the quote and stuff like that. Don't see what the big deal is because everyone is out for themselves in the exams and what the person each side of you does isn't going to affect your overall results. If you're not going to be selfish and ruthless during the LC when are you going to be?? Moaning about people who are doing what they have to to succeed won't get you anywhere......Like the old saying goes 'nice guys finish last'! I'm certainly not going to apologise to anybody for taking what is, IMO, a calculated risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Sigi

I honestly don't see anything wrong with cheating in the Lc.And I don't understand people being so against it.The Lc is a means to an end,not an end in itself.So I expect everybody to do everything within their power to reach said end.Why waste a year or two of your life studying when you can cheat instead?Its just an example of working harder rather than smarter.

At the same time though,it is a competition,so anybody stupid enough to let others no they're cheating deserves to be caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I don't mind saying it but I have cheated in three of my exams already.

*Hello is this the SEC?*

*Yes how may we help?*

*I'd like you to track down Ip number: 85.65.48.xxx He's posted on boards.ie that he cheated in exams.*

*Thank you for informing us, we'll be on it right away.

Your fúcked mate:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement