Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricky Gervais

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

orourkeda wrote: »
    You have got to be joking.

Easily the most overrated of the last 10-15 Years and one of the most overrated programmes of all time.

Are you able to watch the "Mr. Toad" clip above and be unaffected by it?

The narrative in it, for one, IMO. is beautiful- going from a lesson about taking insults to demonstrating an inability to do just that when confronted with the reality.
    And there are so many good lines in that.
    "Leroy"- so ridiculously random.
    "At least start on him..." is just sublime.

Do they all leave you cold? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

The Office UK is up there as one of my all time favourite comedies. The ability to make you cringe while still laugh your hole off was just genius. I can't even watch the US version because it's just not the same. Extras was good in it's own right but was never going to be as good as the office.

The standup I have seen, Animals, Fame, Politics ? (thinik that's what it was called) all had me in stitches as well.

Can see why he might come accross as smug but he is one very funny man. He get's my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

The Office UK was comedy gold ! Up there top 5 shows of all time easily. While I like the US version it will never get near the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I don't hate his comedy - well, I don't rate his stand-up at all it, it just doesn't make me laugh at all. There were some great bits in The Office though; Keith's Appraisal always gets me. Still agree it was considerably overrated. It was funny, not amazing.

His films are terrible; and I can't stand the man in interviews. 'Oh noo, you don't get it, it's all a character - it's him being ironic' is it now? Well it's shit; are you sure you're not just wishful thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

he was funny in this...

skip to 1:30 :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

You have got to be joking.

Easily the most overrated of the last 10-15 Years and one of the most overrated programmes of all time.

Oh that boards.ie meme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Can't stand the man, hate the way he always laughs hysterically at his own jokes, tries way too hard. Films are rubbish, stand up just not funny.

In his defence, his speech about the cult of celebrity in the christmas episode of extras when he is in the Big Brother house is genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

if ever there was a time to say this and actually wish I could follow through with it its now

I would LOVE to kick him in the face.

he's funny, but he crosses alot of dodgy lines which although are funny, you cant say that kind of **** without first hand experience of it so that you're poking fun at yourself as well as anyone else. and saying "its ok I do alot of work for charity with them" [which is probably a lie, does not make it ok you TOSSER :mad:

I hope he gets mangled in a car crash one day. wanker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

marwelie wrote: »
    Can't stand the man, hate the way he always laughs hysterically at his own jokes, tries way too hard. Films are rubbish, stand up just not funny.

In his defence, his speech about the cult of celebrity in the christmas episode of extras when he is in the Big Brother house is genius.

Absolute posts are absolute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Stratige

The man's a genius.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Brava

Dont think he's funny at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I know a great friend and fellow boardsie will take serious umbrage at this but anyway;

The Office - Funny
    Extras - Funny
    Flanimals - Funny
    Standup- Meh in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

never liked him, he deserves a good kick in the ghoulies!!

I think he suffers with that little man syndrome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Stopped being funny or relevant a long while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

The Office is probably the best comedy I've ever seen. Extras was more like a normal sitcom, but still consistently hilarious. I loved his stand up (Animals and Politics were better than Fame, and I haven't seen Science) and I find his various comic mannerisms endlessly amusing. Go and listen to the radio show with Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington, it's brilliant.

His arrogant persona is, I think, mostly a persona. Either way, he makes me laugh so I don't care if he is a twat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Absolutely loved him in this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I

and I liked extras...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

gervais and merchant at their best

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I agree wholeheartedly with an earlier poster who said you can't compare Michael Scott with David Brent...no way. They're totally different characters imo. The Us Office has caricaturish characters whereas the Uk version has more believable ones. Michael's a tit but he's more likeable than David Brent. I've often felt that Andy's character in the Us office would be more suitable to play a real David Brent type.

I do think Gervais is very talented. I loved the Office and Extras.I don't like his laugh either though, it's cringeworthy, I was horrified to find that he really does laugh like that:o...and I don't think he suits being a leading man in a romantic role with a glam leading lady. Grand for his part in Night at the Museum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Im sorry, but if you dont find The Office or Extras funny, then you simply just dont get it.

Its genius. Steve Merchant is a legend also.

I agree, his moveis havent been great, but his standups are brilliant.
    Dunno why people are saying hes a smug c**t. Its a kind of persona he puts across.
    His podcasts with merchant and karl pilkington would have you pissing yourself with laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I think the public Ricky Gervais is very different to the private one. The smug, self satisfied, smarmy personality is mostly an act. Hes married to a woman he met when he was in his teens or early 20s and she seems a very quiet, reserved, intelligent person. If he was as big as arsé at home as he is on tv, i would expect him to be either on his 3rd failed marriage or have a trophy wife on his arm. Behind it all i think hes probably a decent fella who likes a laugh and would be great to go for pints with. Hes discovered a formula that has made him a multi-millionaire and his milking it while the milkings good. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

His podcasts with merchant and karl pilkington would have you pissing yourself with laughter.
    Yes, because of Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington. Gervais adds nothing (I suspect he added nothing to The Office either tbh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Can't stand him,there was some funny parts in The Office,but I only really laughed at the dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

The Invention of Lying was crap, but I love The Office and Ghost Town. And I really like his teeth. Odd, I know, but I think that's gone some way to me liking him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

phasers wrote: »
    Yes, because of Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington. Gervais adds nothing (I suspect he added nothing to The Office either tbh)

Thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard....

you do know he co wrote and directed? and played the part of the main character?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The Office UK/US - Probarbly the funniest comedy shows EVER!

Extras - Is excellent with flashes of genius thrown in.

His movies are all muck so far, havn't seen Cemetary Junction yet.

The podcasts - Are.Simply.The.Best.Thing.I've.Ever.Heard. The word genius doesn't describe Karl Pilkington!

Standup - Another bit of genius by Gervais.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

The office was just not funny. But then I dislike cringe comedy anyway so meh.
    Extras had some good bits, but they were usually the bits without him in them.

Haven't seen any of his films and I don't rate his stand up either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

The Invention of Lying was crap, but I love The Office and Ghost Town. And I really like his teeth. Odd, I know, but I think that's gone some way to me liking him.

Actually yeah I forgot about Ghost town; I thought it was fairly good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

phasers wrote: »

You havn't a clue what youre on about. Seriously, he added nothing to The Office...?? apart from Co-writing in it and being the main star you mean? And the podcasts are simply genius, its Gervais who sets up Karl and Merchant all the time, imagine the show without him, it simply wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

You see, this term 'overrated' is banded about far to much these days. Who are you to say that something is overrated if a large number of people find it funny? I could as easily say you're 'underrating' it, doesn't mean a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

The Office was excellent, but everything he did after he did after was terrible because he had no Stephen Merchant to write with him.

Advertisement