Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricky Gervais

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

m@cc@ wrote: »
    You see, this term 'overrated' is banded about far to much these days. Who are you to say that something is overrated if a large number of people find it funny? I could as easily say you're 'underrating' it, doesn't mean a thing.

If it's commercially successful/liked by alot of people, it's automatically naff and dismissed, irrespective of how good it is.
    I always think of it as the "Nevermind" syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If it's commercially successful/liked by alot of people, it's automatically naff and dismissed, irrespective of how good it is.

Because people can't make up their own minds & form their own opinions?

How very dismissive of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

can't think of anyone that'd dismiss the wire!

he didnt get to write his own lines for the movies hes been in

He wrote the Invention of Lying and contributed to the script for Ghost Town so he has in effect wrote his lines for the films he's starred in.

Because people can't make up their own minds & form their own opinions?

How very dismissive of you.

The album Nevermind.

• Advertisement

The album Nevermind.

Again, my point still stands. I didn't think much of "Nevermind" & I don't think much of Ricky Gervais. It's not because either were/ are hugely popular, simply that they don't appeal to my tastes.

I like a lot of things that are popular, so your theory doesn't really hold any water. I don't like/ dislike stuff based on it's relative popularity as I am sure most people don't.

To suggest otherwise is quite disingenous & dismissive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Again, my point still stands. I didn't think much of "Nevermind" & I don't think much of Ricky Gervais. It's not because either were/ are hugely popular, simply that they don't appeal to my tastes.

I like a lot of things that are popular, so your theory doesn't really hold any water. I don't like/ dislike stuff based on it's relative popularity as I am sure most people don't.

To suggest otherwise is quite disingenous & dismissive.

I know what he's referring to. There are people who won't admit to liking something that commercially successful and prefer to make a point of liking some that's alternative. Not everyone, but these people do exist.

I know what he's referring to. There are people who won't admit to liking something that commercially successful and prefer to make a point of liking some that's alternative. Not everyone, but these people do exist.

I suppose that's true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Top of the range knobhead

If he was a knob on a guitar amp, he'd go all the way up to 11, Spinal Tap style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Im sorry, but if you dont find The Office or Extras funny, then you simply just dont get it.

Don't be silly. Mockumentary comedy just doesn't work as good as regular sitcoms etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Ricky had an idea in his head, by way of the office and went with it, wouldn't allow it to be watered down and we have a comedy that will be appreciated more with time.

Extras was also a great tv show, absolute genius. The subtlety of some of the jokes aswell as it being layered and brilliant charachters and brilliant use of the celebrities makes it even better to the office in my opinion.

His stand up is brilliant. There are so few comics like him. His interaction with the crowd and ability to hold an entire audience is a rare talent. The podcast series that has also been made into a television show is also great but thats largely due to Karl Pilkington.

I think he has done what he has wanted to do without having to dilute the content of his ideas, which in the modern age has to be commended. He is one of the few stars of the world who genuinely does not want publicity or press and has rightfully spoke out against the celebrity culture that is so widely appreciated and pointed to those in society that seserve praise and to be role models yet are overlooked because of socialites like paris hilton.

The ironic thing is this thread to the man himself would be (even more than its a forum thread) irrelevant due to the fact that he has made his shows, been rewarded and praised by his peers and experts and continues to be succesful in everything he does due to the fact that his style of comedy is unique and of a high quality.

Yes the bit in bold.
    That the phenomenon exists (and that i suspect it's not exactly rare) was the take home point.
    Not that it is universal (as may have been inferred by the other poster).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The Office was excellent, but everything he did after he did after was terrible because he had no Stephen Merchant to write with him.

Your spouting serious shít from your arse there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

FearDark wrote: »
    Your spouting serious shít from your arse there.
    The films hes written on his own have been terrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

The films hes written on his own have been terrible!
    He means that Stephen Merchant co-wrote Extras with Ricky, and also starred in it with him. He done the podcasts and XFM radio shows also and co-wrote and directed cemetery junction aswell with Ricky. So they didn't part ways after the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Not sure about his shows since the Office, but his stand up gigs are hilarious. On this alone I reckon he's one funny ****er!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Who's to say how much he contributed to the writing of any of the shows he did with Merchant? Look at Peter Kay for an example of what happens when someone who's gotten the credit for others' work and tries to go it alone. If Gervais did 10% of the writing Merchant did but was going to be starring they're going to have him down as writing as much as Merchant did. As others have said I don't think he's added anything to the podcasts I've heard other than laughing.

In my opinion, The Office UK, meh. Just don't see the huge appeal of it. Extras, ****in brilliant, but mostly due to the performances of the guests, how much was down to Gervais is impossible to say. His stand-up is ok, but has gotten worse each time with the same preachy opinions on the same preachy topics. The Invention of Lying was just so self-indulgent. Heh, just check out the first line of the wikipedia page for it, looks like something Gervais himself would say.

Overall Gervais is alright, I'm not a huge fan of hm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Well in fairness "Flanimals" was a book for kids, so I wouldn't expect you to find it that funny.

Gervais is by far one of the most respected comedians in the world today.

Some people above have said they liked The Office but after that he went s*ite...........what about Extras? Possible more laugh-out-loud moments in that than any other comedy show I have ever watched!

I understand that Gervais & Merchant's humour is of a certain taste, as with Larry David's. But to simply say that they are not funny.....im sorry but that is not true. Maybe you don't get it, which is a pity because anyone I have 'forced' to watch The Office, Extras, his Stand Ups or listen to the podcasts have rolled around the floor laughing and are now hooked on all things Gervais.

His cocky ego is a character persona he portrays in interviews as it is funny. Its the guy you love to hate. The cringe moments when someone up their own arse says something ridiculous. He has it down to a tee. Even Larry David, John Cleese, Chris Rock, Woody Allen, Steve Martin, the creators of the Simpsons etc etc have all paid the highest compliments to Gervais's talents and these men have owned comedy over the last 30 years.

I think some people maybe get jealous or pissed off about how big a personality gets in the world when they start off small (like on a BBC2 show) and begin winning Golden Globes etc. People don't like cocky and smug but that's put on for effect and it clearly works. Can't understand how you don't get him. :confused:

PS - I do agree that Stephen Merchant has a lot to do with the success of The Office & Extras and that the two work off each other brilliantly. Merchant deserves a lot more credit and respect for his work and also his acting. He was amazing as Gervais's agent in Extras and couldn't have deserved it more winning best comedic actor at the BAFTAs that year he won it over Gervais.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭deathbot

He used to be funny. I liked the office. But his films have all been flops, and his latest science routine is arrogant, and plainly unfunny. Smug.

With his lack of understanding on the allegorical story of Noah's ark, to his contant insulting on 'fat people'. Show is over already. His story is evidence, God does bring down the proud and exhalts the humble.

Gervais will be the new 50 cent, gone and forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

deathbot wrote: »
    Smug.

When you can't beat them... call them smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

He used to be funny. I liked the office. But his films have all been flops, and his latest science routine is arrogant, and plainly unfunny. Smug.

With his lack of understanding on the allegorical story of Noah's ark, to his contant insulting on 'fat people'. Show is over already. His story is evidence, God does bring down the proud and exhalts the humble.

We get it; You happened to catch him on telly and it made you drop your bible in aghast. Was it really necessary to drag up a 5 month old thread to vent and surreptitiously push your fairytales on everyone?

The comparison to 50 cent is amazing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Dudess wrote: »
    I enjoy The Office (the American one moreso - Steve Carrell is better in the role than Gervais,.

I hate when people compare these. They're completely different takes. Why do we even have to compare them? Just appreciate them both as, as I've said, they're totally different takes on 'The Office'. I like them both.

Stand up is OK. Last one - 'Science' was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like him. I think he's OK as a stand-up. I think The Office and Extras are both terrific, as well as the podcasts. This is one of my favourite moments from a sitcom ever:

As for the US Office I just don't see the appeal to that at all, and I was a big fan of Steve Carrell and Ed Helms when they were on The Daily Show. I find it poorly written and OTT like a lot of American comedy shows. The guy who plays Dwight is insufferable as well.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The Office and Extras were trully a work of art. Just today I was taking a look at the bloopers, for both series and I thought i'd share it with everyone here. Looking at them both, it's amazing how they ever filmed the series with amount of bloopers on them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

He's not funny in the way that carrots are not meat

but

He thinks he is funny is the way that Meteor thinks it has an effective mode of advertising.

I can never fully trust anyone who declares a serious admiration for such an ovbiously not entertaining modhrán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

no, other people wrote the scripts and hired him to read the lines. not much you can do if the material isnt great to begin with, not his fault.

also he has mocked himself in the past for being fat. everything is funny unless its personal to you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

It seems some people are mixed up. He is not really a stand-up like real stand up comedians.

The Office was flawless. Extras was brilliant, and I think Merchant stole the show.
    Couple of quotes:

David: You headbutt a girl on telly and you’re labeled a prat.

David: You always get the odd person who doesn’t appreciate what you’re doing, shouts silly things.
    Interviewer: What sort of things?
    David: You beardy twat, pug nosed gimp, lard boy. And I go, “Yeah, what have you ever done on telly? Nothing, so don’t…” Absolutely flabulous.

My heart bleeds for the Hollywood 'stars' who found themselves the butt of a few gags. A slight thorn in the side of their pampered lives. At least they were able to get back to patting themselves on the back at the awards.

I had to laugh at Tim Allens' jibe. As if Tim was ever funny. Only the Americans ever bought into him. His head is massive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

He's not funny in the way that carrots are not meat

but

He thinks he is funny is the way that Meteor thinks it has an effective mode of advertising.

I can never fully trust anyone who declares a serious admiration for such an ovbiously not entertaining modhrán.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I didnt at first, but the more I think about what he did at the globes, the better I think it was. It wasn't necessarily comedy genius in that a lot of it was very cheap; but it was good, edgy material that totally turned the downright cringery of the whole show on its head. More than anything it took an absolutely brass set of balls to do it. The "backlash" from the poor babies of the A-List whose backs sadly went unpatted for a couple of mins is funny too...

Advertisement