Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricky Gervais

Options
  • 09-06-2010 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Funny man or Annoying Bint?

What's your take?

Rick Gervais 273 votes

Funny Guy
    0% 0 votes
    AAAGH - About as funny as piles
    64% 175 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    35% 98 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

He's about as funny as cancer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The Invention of Lying was the final nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Used to like The Office and him around that time,but nowadays, i've kinda gone off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I enjoy The Office (the American one moreso - Steve Carrell is better in the role than Gervais, even though Gervais was very good) and Extras, but his stand-up is terrible and he comes across in interview as an awful twat - and extremely unfunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I like The US office which was his concept and I loved some episodes of Extras, but only when the stars really took the piss out of themselves. I don't like watching him though. Reckon he should stick to the writing and keep his fugly face from offending my eyes.

Saying that, politics was pretty decent....

Atari Jaguar it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Smug, unfunny tosser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

I like The Office and Extras but his movies are not as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Funniest comedian alive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

He's just not funny...

Maybe I'm missing something tho,
    I don't think Alan Partridge or Curb your Enthusiasm is funny either.

They all just seem to be the same joke repeated again and again...
    I get it..
    He has a funny personality...
    And it was funny the first time.
    It's now 5 years later..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

He's alright, mediocre I suppose.

Not fit to hold a candle to Bill Bailey though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

SadieSue wrote: »
    I like The Office and Extras but his movies are not as good.

he didnt get to write his own lines for the movies hes been in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

He is the living embodiment of the character he played in Extras, not the actual Andy Millman character, but the one which the one-line catch phrase that was funny at the start but got old fast.

Gervais was funny at the start but he didn't come up with any goods after the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

I facepalm everytime i see him in something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I loved The Office but after that he lost all appeal for me.
    I have never found any of his stand up in anyway funny and as for that "Flanimals" or what the hell it was called was...s*ite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

He's responsible for the most overrated tv show in history. (i.e the office)

I really dont see the attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The mans a legend and one of the funniest people alive today, the UK office was quite possibly the greatest show ever made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The way he is in interview... well it doesn't seem like he had to do much acting for the David Brent role.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

These things are entirely subjective, but I find Gervais hilarious, a breath of fresh air. He is an extremely witty, intelligent individual. His body of work is astounding when you look at it: The Office, an incredibly original series which transcended genres, Extras, similar to The Office in that it is poignant as well as funny, I also enjoy his stand up although not as much as his TV work. His podcasts, with Steven Merchant and Karl Pilkington, from what I have heard of them, are very amusing. I am not a fan of his movies, but I think on the whole he is an extraordinary comedic talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Fuck it anyway..

I thought he was after dying.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I'm not sure if he wrote that episode of the Simpsons he was in or not but it was horrendous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Smug fat prick. He's a smart guy, but more a patron of trivia, masquerading as an academic.

I don't like his condescending attitude toward religious belief systems at all either. "The invention of lying" was fairly abhorrant to this end (I'm not really religious myself tbh, but I at least respect other people's beliefs), not to mention a disasterously bad movie in general.

I think The office and the podcasts are absolute gold (anyone who hasn't heard them should check them out), but his live sets etc are all muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

He's funny in some things and not so much in others. He does seem to be fading a bit nowadays.

If I had one complaint about him it would be his laugh which makes me turn off any interview he's in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

He's heavily reliant on Stephen Merchant who I think is fantastic.

Unfortunately the US have bought into him and he now believes his own hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭RobBaxter

Dudess wrote: »
    The way he is in interview... well it doesn't seem like he had to do much acting for the David Brent role.

you obviously don't get his humour. he's in character in the interviews, the guy is a messer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

couldn't watch the office I would cringe it was neary too true to life.
    loved his standup about the bible

didnt like extras

love the podcasts

50/50 really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Ah I think he's quite funny, but obviously he's a bit of an arrogant twat who can be unfunny at times. But I enjoy The Office, his Stand up comedy gigs and even Extras, but his movies sucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I'm not sure if he wrote that episode of the Simpsons he was in or not but it was horrendous

He did. Which is one of the reasons why it was horrendous, that and it was a new Simpsons!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sykk wrote: »
    He's about as funny as cancer

Maybe you'll enjoy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Can't stand him. Liked the office but his stand up is $hite,he is smarmy tight faced git who is just not really funny at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I thought The Office was the most over-rated show ever. Watched a few episodes & didn't even break a smile.

Extras was funny, but only in places.

Can't stand his stand-ups. I've heard funnier routines at open mic amateur nights.

Films - haven't seen any, purposely.

Podcasts - neither.

Advertisement