Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricky Gervais

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Dudess wrote: »
    I enjoy The Office (the American one moreso - Steve Carrell is better in the role than Gervais, even though Gervais was very good) and Extras, but his stand-up is terrible and he comes across in interview as an awful twat - and extremely unfunny.
    I don't think the two really are comparable. Gervais went more for a realistic type of character who could very well exist. Although he does get himself in some pretty extreme situations. Carrell's character is far more suited to the sitcom situation and does things that if they happened in real life, you wouldn't believe it for a second. Both great characters, but very different characters.

Otherwise, I like Gervais. His persona in interviews is pretty much a character in itself. He always plays to the camera. Some people like it, some people don't. But I sincerely doubt he's as obnoxious to his friends and family as he is when the camera is on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Ive gone off him a lot in the past year or so. I suppose maybe I'm just a little torn as he seems to be hamming the whole "fame" thing up, compared to the guy I used to like.

The beauty of the office (without being condescending to anyone's sense of humour etc) is it's not designed for the the people who don't "get" it. It was never intended to be that obvious. It's so nuanced and subtle in parts that you only notice things on the third or fourth watching.

I have no doubt that he is a "comedic genius" (or at least some of the stuff he has done is "genius") - I just don't like his attitude change in the past couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

RobBaxter wrote: »
    you obviously don't get his humour. he's in character in the interviews, the guy is a messer
    That doesn't mean I "obviously" don't get his humour.

I'm talking about those situations where he isn't in character, like when he was interviewing Christopher Guest. Or when he's a talking head on those nostalgia programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The Office is genius, imo the best comedy ever.
    Extras season 1 was good. Season 2 was poor
    The podcasts are amazing.

Standup is average at best. Everything else isn't very good.

He'll be remembered forever for the Office, both the writing and his performance as Brent. He's way superior to Steve Carrell in the US one (which is also fabulous)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

id say hes funny because you can always see him laughing to himself as hes talking in movies!

but his accent is the annoying feature, even as a comedian i cant take him seriously lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I like his sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BUGS_DRUNNY

For me his TV/movies
    (apart from his dance in the office (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kry53iHR7w))

were pretty mediocre!

However podcasts are unbelievably funny!
    But i do contribute a lot of that to the legend that is Karl Pilkington!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

He was excellent. However, recently I have found him very annoying. Maybe its over-exposure, or maybe its because he has let his fame go to this head.

His recent show "Science" paled in comparison to Animals and Politcs and his films are rubbish.

I used to be one of his biggest fans but left the O2 feeling ripped off and betrayed... His pseudo-arrogance was a funny trademark, however, I think he's dropped the pseudo part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I thought he was fantastic in The Office. The facial expressions, mannerisms, subtle twitches and glances.. For someone with no acting or comic background it was remarkable, definitely one of the best comedic performances on TV.

Extras was very good also, though he deliberately played the character fairly straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I thought The Office was the most over-rated show ever. Watched a few episodes & didn't even break a smile. Wrong on so many levels. First one being that Friends was the worst and most everrated show ever. Second one being that the show wasnot just very funny, but originally so.

Extras was funny, but only in places. Extras was top class

Can't stand his stand-ups. I've heard funnier routines at open mic amateur nights. Never saw any of them
    Films - haven't seen any, purposely. Saw one of them, it was awful.
    some characters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭baldbear

He was funny with some classic original stuff but since he's gone to the U.S he's turned into a bit of a wánker.
    The Invention of lying was a load of brown trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

The Uk Office is an absolute masterpiece, there is nobody on this Earth that could of played Brent as well as Gervais did. Brilliant series

The podcasts with Karl Pilkington and Stephen Merchant are hilarious as well, but that's mainly down to Karl.

His standup and movies are ok, nothing special at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Did you see him on Sesame Street:

Owned by a muppet!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Though the Office was superb, just started watching it again actually, so good it's hard to watch :D

His stand up is about as funny as puppies nailed to a tree though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

His podcasts are his best stuff. Mainly his reactions to Karl Pilkington. I can take or leave him anywhere else but everyone should be made listen to his podcasts. They're hilarious.

He seems like an arse in interviews though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

From what I've heard, his contribution to "The Ricky Gervais Show" podcast is laughing really obnoxiously. Why is it named after him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

quality stuff from him and kate winslet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Funny fecker and actually *cough* HOT back in the day.Check him out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Comic genius, simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Dudess wrote: »
    I enjoy The Office (the American one moreso - Steve Carrell is better in the role than Gervais, even though Gervais was very good) and Extras, but his stand-up is terrible and he comes across in interview as an awful twat - and extremely unfunny.

Ah Dudess you're not serious. :)
    Steve Carell's funny but not nearly as funny as Ricky Gervais's Brent IMO.

In fairness any interview i've heard him do, i think he's come across as polite and humble and engagingly honest- i think any unendearing trait in interviews is always ironic.
    TBH it's easy to think he'll be a pr1ck but invariably and surprisingly he's not.

Edit: actually i should qualify the above any movies he's done have been pretty shit.
    But yeah IMO The UK Office (especially) was one of the funniest things on TV in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm actually with Dudess on this, I think Steve Carell plays the role much better than Gervais.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I like him mainly for the XFM show and podcasts which i listen to when travelling really makes the time pass.

The Office was brilliant but that was mainly written by Merchant (lanky agent in extra's). It actually started as Merchants project while doing a producers course at the BBC. They liked it so much they asked them to make a pilot.

Extras had its moments mainly Barry from eastenders and the agent. The celebs taking the piss was funny but Ricky wasnt really but the part was written like that.

Stand up stuff i think is ok some very funny bits some not so much saw him live and enjoyed it.

I always laugh when people say he is an obnoxious twat he makes jokes like that but some people arent bright enough to realise he is joking !!

I cant believe some one said Alan Partridge and Curb are not funny 2 of the best shows ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

I don't understand it when people say he's arrogant and an arse in interviews.
    A large basis for his comedy is taking the piss out of his own physical appearance for example.

Check this out:

IMO that's one of the funniest scenes in the series but it wouldn't work without his willingness for self-deprecation.

Same with Steven Merchant here- "Goggle-eyed freak":

Again one of the better scenes in The Office not least because they eschew any insecurity they may have about their appearance for the sake of a really good laugh.

If these guys do show any arrogance it's because they're so funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Though the Office was superb, just started watching it again actually, so good it's hard to watch :D

His stand up is about as funny as puppies nailed to a tree though

You have got to be joking.

Easily the most overrated of the last 10-15 Years and one of the most overrated programmes of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Ricky Gervais is the kind of guy who'd be one of the 'funny guys' as a friend but as a comedian..it just doesn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

orourkeda wrote: »
    You have got to be joking.

Easily the most overrated of the last 10-15 Years and one of the most overrated programmes of all time.

Nope, I loved it and I can be pretty hard to please. Had to power to make me look at it through my hands and break my bollocks laughing at the same time. The only comedy I ever bought a box set for.

You see, the reason that you think it's overrated is because you're wrong :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Liked him in the office & extras, but I get the feeling he's not really "Acting" His movies aren't the best. Would love to see them do another Office special though, maybe take one of the (better) US series scripts & reunite everyone.

Saw him being interviewed on TV last weekend & he's lost a couple of stone in weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Thepones

The podcasts are epic stuff. They still crack me up and i have heard them all before.

Would also say the British Office is by far better the American version. Brent is just funny / cringy / sad / familiar all the same time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think he's very good at what he does, probably one of the best comics around right now, but nearly every interview he gives he just comes across as a smug little git with a chip on his shoulder.

Advertisement