Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ricky Gervais

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Can I ask people here who are saying he isn't funny and is a moron etc to please state who they do find funny?

With regards The Globes. He pushed the boundaries last year. And also warned that he would go even further - and he did. He didn't over step ANY line however.

These A-List celebs who have had their feathers ruffled are the morons. They can't be laughed at and some can't be seen to be even laughing when the camera rolls to them. Look at Extras. The celebs who appeared on this are people who can laugh at themselves - Stiller, Winslet, Jackson, De Niro (Although he really didn't do much), Stewart - these can laugh at themselves. American's in general don't like being the butt of any joke. Well, when you invite Gervais to do The Globes, what do you expect?!

master-t wrote: »
    Can I ask people here who are saying he isn't funny and is a moron etc to please state who they do find funny?

With regards The Globes. He pushed the boundaries last year. And also warned that he would go even further - and he did. He didn't over step ANY line however.

These A-List celebs who have had their feathers ruffled are the morons. They can't be laughed at and some can't be seen to be even laughing when the camera rolls to them. Look at Extras. The celebs who appeared on this are people who can laugh at themselves - Stiller, Winslet, Jackson, De Niro (Although he really didn't do much), Stewart - these can laugh at themselves. American's in general don't like being the butt of any joke. Well, when you invite Gervais to do The Globes, what do you expect?!

I don't think it was a case of they don't have a sense of humour just that most of his Golden Globes stuff, what I saw of it was just mean-spirited. The stuff with Robert Downey Jr. just stunk of shock value and there was no need for it, it's a much better comedian who can get laughs from genuine comedy rather than resorting to insulting a persons appearance, history,etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I was shocked they gave him the job again for this year, I like the guy and last year was funny but he crossed the line a few times. maybe he wanted to see what he could get away with and was feeding his own ego.

Felt bad for Robert Downey Jr. as he really turned his life around after all his drug problems and became a genuine star again. The Tim Allen dig wasnt very nice.

I do like Gevais but some of this seemed horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

hollywood a-listers live in their own world with a metal rod up their behinds, and can't take a bit of slagging, with a few exceptions (de niro, pacimo, bushemi)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

ah but "he's only havin a laugh" no harm meant

when ever i see him being interviewed he always comes accross as a sly cnut with that creepy smile of his

to me he's your stereotypical english w@nker, the type of guy you'd meet down in temple bar at the weekend

watch him here being "owned" by Garry Shandling, Shandling brilliantly turns the tables on Gervais

afterwards Gervais didn't want this broadcast,:cool:

there's more of it on youtube

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I don't see how Gervais was "owned".

I'm not surprised Gervais didn't want that aired, it's awful TV. All I saw was a mediocre has-been who's sole raison d'etre was to be as difficult as possible with the in vogue comedian at the time. Perhaps trying to prove some sort of point.

What was with the childish/cringey alpha-male refusals to follow Gervais out to do an interview? Then accusing him of being anti-semetic when he had nothing else to say!? What the hell was that? "You're fat." Classic "ownage" alright.

I thought Gervais rolled with some very awkward and frankly weird punches, and came up with more genuinely original and funny things to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Garry Shandling just comes across as a knob there. not surprised Gervais didn't want to air it, its woeful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

consultech wrote: »
    I don't see how Gervais was "owned".

I thought Gervais rolled with some very awkward and frankly weird punches, and came up with more genuinely original and funny things to say.

really:confused: the only way Gervais countered was by breaking out that loud false laugh of his

just a brief backgound to why Shandling was peeved...

Gervais and his crew arrived at Shandlings house and walked straight in unannounced, they then proceeded to film inside the house without Shandlings permission not only that but were telling Shandling where the interview should take place in his own home

Shandling had every right to be pissed off

and to make matters worse Gervais goes and insults him to his face by saying he looked like a cartoon character off TV...

watch it here and see Gervais for what he is > an ignorant cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Absolutely think the office is amazing. Extras is average at best in my eyes. I love the podcasts too. However I have to agree that Ricky Gervais is a bully and seems like an absolute cnut overall. I don't think the Garry Shandling video shows his bullying nature at all if you ask me Garry Shandling comes off as a bit of a knob. Here's a perfect video shows what a bully he is. He even admits how he gets his kick from bringing Robin Ince to the edge by annoying him but then deliberately laughing at a joke he says or starting a casual conversation to bring him back down to a sense of security and then pounces on him again. He's just an attention seeking wank3r

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

master-t wrote: »

Ricky slayed them.
    Thought RDJ's pronouncement, supposedly a guy who can roll with the punches and take a joke - was a bit po-faced in fairness- why didn't he just slag him back.

Edit: anyone see Angelina Jolie's reaction to his gag about a third world kid looking at a photo of her and thinking "mummy".
    Don't think the camera cut to her unfortunately- i'd love to have seen it.

• Advertisement

philstar wrote: »
    really:confused: the only way Gervais countered was by breaking out that loud false laugh of his

Gervais and his crew arrived at Shandlings house and walked straight in unannounced, they then proceeded to film inside the house without Shandlings permission not only that but were telling Shandling where the interview should take place in his own home

and to make matters worse Gervais goes and insults him to his face by saying he looked like a cartoon character off TV...

TBH, to me most of that seemed like Shandling's shtick (he's a great purveyor of uncomfortable/"is this real or is this a pisstake" comedy himself).
    He loves that stuff and it looks like the two were largely messing with each other.
    Was it reported that they didn't get on here?

Edit: That Zebra joke by Shandling made me LOL. :D

Edit2: Just remembering Hank Kingsley (Shandling's sidekick on Larry Sanders) doing the Hitler/"Hankler" Sketch on his show.
    So i seriously doubt if Shandling is actually getting bent out of shape about Ricky's humour here. Just doing his usual shtick seemingly.

to his contant insulting on 'fat people'.

He takes the piss out of his own weight here.
    "Mr Toad!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

philstar wrote: »

Absolutely think the office is amazing. Extras is average at best in my eyes. I love the podcasts too. However I have to agree that Ricky Gervais is a bully and seems like an absolute cnut overall. I don't think the Garry Shandling video shows his bullying nature at all if you ask me Garry Shandling comes off as a bit of a knob. Here's a perfect video shows what a bully he is. He even admits how he gets his kick from bringing Robin Ince to the edge by annoying him but then deliberately laughing at a joke he says or starting a casual conversation to bring him back down to a sense of security and then pounces on him again. He's just an attention seeking wank3r

I've listened to all the xfm shows and I agree that he can be a cnut. Especially the early ones when he rips into Steve.
    But the poll asks is he funny. Not "Does Gervais have good manners". There's plenty of musicians/actors that are probably knobs, but if they make good music/act well, who cares

Advertisement