Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 6x15 - "Across The Sea" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz imo. i'm glad this show is almost over so i don't have to watch any more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz imo. i'm glad this show is almost over so i don't have to watch any more of it.

I'm so happy to see people that can decide what to do for themselves instead of doing what everyone else does. If you don't like the show... don't watch it. I know there are only 2/3 episodes left but I dare you NOT to watch them. Go on.... I dare you! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I wonder has anyone tried to make their own smoke monster yet? All you need to do is push your brother into a cave near some electromagnetism and then a smoke monster appears. I'm surprised that smoke monster making isn't the latest craze by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Wow, I'm just amazed at the response of people to last night's episode on this thread.

I have just watched it for the second time and I found it a great episode.

I think some Lost viewers are wanting to have it both ways and there is no pleasing them.

For example, people want answers, which I understand, but some people have expecting this season to be chock full of answers from the first episode and are complaining about the alt-timeline and more questions being raised.
    Then when there is a reveal, as in the reveal of the whispers, then everybody complains that was crap and badly done and that they are insulting the viewer. What do people want?

Also, the CGI? What's the complaints about? Smokey, looked the same as always, and people are moaning about the crap light, but it was just a golden light and to me it looked like an em, just a golden light! What more do people want?
    As for this episode I enjoyed it. I'm not worried about the lack of reveals, but for me the biggest thing it showed is that the island has been there a long time and always had a protector, who for some reason, faces an end and then brings people to the island who then seeks a replacement 'candidiate' and the whole process just goes on.

Also, when 'mother' said that only one of them could protect the island, and not two of them, I think that was important as well. Think Mib was her original choice but she later changed to Jacob.

Now, if you look at Mib, he seems to have a characteristics that reflect a lot of the more familiar characters.
    He resembles Locke for believing the Island has more to it than meets the eye.
    He resembles Hurley in that he can see dead people.
    He's also clever, a lier, and kills people just like Ben.
    He also said that he lived for 30 years with people who are "greedy, manipulative, untrustworthy, and selfish." Think that is a major influence on him.
    Jacob, appears not believe in anything and needs convincing....just like Jack.

So, I think the mother, has herself gone into light, also turned out to be a smoke monster. This enabled her to wipe out the villagers, infuriate MIB, send Jacob away, let MIB come and kill her, as she had had enough and her replacement was in place, and she could die knowing that Jacob would put MIB in to the light, turn him into Smokey and not allow him to leave the island.

I think the show, despite what people say here, proves that the writers have known what they are at all along. In the first season, we saw Locke play explain Backgammon to Walt, and stating it was a game between Black & White, Jacob & MIB, have their own version of the game, also in Black & white. Also the scene with 'Adam & Eve', how can people say that was just made up, when the stones that Jack found in season 1 tie in perfectly with what happened in Season 6?

As for that scene, why are people complaining about the flashback?People must think of other viewers. My wife, who watches the show, but does not read theories on internet, post on Lost forums or watch shows a second time, did genuinely not remember the bodies in the cave and without that flashback would not have made the connection. It was 6 years ago after all.
    Also, about the name, MIB is either called Aarron and Claire will name baby Jacob in alt -timeline, or it's all just a wind up and he will just be called 'Dave' or 'Danny' or something unimportant.
    In summary, really enjoyed the show, had more in it than meets the eye and I think we will visit this time again before the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I enjoyed it but judging by the poll it has split a lot of opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I think one thing everyone is over looking about the bodies in the cave is not the decomposition but the fact that if you left 2 bodies in a cave on an island with wild animals that they would have been dragged off and eaten in some den somewhere!

We know the island has a functioning ecological system what with the boars and numerous references in the beginning seasons more so of smaller animals being around to hunt.

Even being generous to the writers and saying that the boars are the only things we know for sure were on the island when the bodies were "fresh" as we saw them in the same episode.... they would have smelled the decomposition and came to eat whatever it was.

Even when they were deciding what to do with the bodies in season one they burned them as they had explained if they buried the bodies they wouldnt stay buried for long before the boars would dig them up and chowed down.

Utter ridiculous to think the bodies would sit there ..... rot... smell... and never be even disturbed by a wild animal let alone dragged off.

Just another example of the writers idiocy that they expect us to believe..... I am still laughing at the MiB explanation o how the light will get him off the island ... "we have a system to channel the light and with this I will leave here " lol lol lol... OH.... rriiiiggghhhtttt..... a system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

yeah a light and water system seems a bit mad, but no madder then a hamster's brain travelling through time !

Just take it that this light and water system somehow can drain the e-mag to make it easier to get of the island ??

what is it that stops boats leaving the island (unless they follow an exact course) again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, about the name, MIB is either called Aarron and Claire will name baby Jacob in alt -timeline, or it's all just a wind up and he will just be called 'Dave' or 'Danny' or something unimportant.
    In summary, really enjoyed the show, had more in it than meets the eye and I think we will visit this time again before the end.

What significance will it be if his(MiB) name is Aaron? Just wondering.
    I don't think anyone influenced Claire in naming the baby Aaron back at the start but I can't remember now.

Plus...why haven't we seen Michael or Walt n the alt universe? They were big characters!

Yeah Michael died on the island(technically the water surrounding it I know) but Boone died on the island yet he is in the alt universe??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

wow hugely divided opinion ratings of the episode, with nearly as many voting 1/10 as voted 10/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

ToniTuddle wrote: »

Plus...why haven't we seen Michael or Walt in the alt universe? They were big characters!

Oh God, I'd freaking cry if we had a ALT Michael storyline. The writers would probably still find a way for him to be going around shouting 'WAAAAAAAAAALT!' or 'Where's my boy?'. Isn't it enough we had to see his 'ghost' a few episodes back?

And as interesting as Walt was, it's clear that they gave up on his storyline and couldn't come up with a plausible answer to his 'special-ness'. Which is disappointing, as I did like Walt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

MiB doesn't have a name because when his brother was born his mother said, "his name is Jacob", and when he was born his mother said "I dont have a name for him". This stayed thus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dudeitshurley

podge018 wrote: »
    MiB doesn't have a name because when his brother was born his mother said, "his name is Jacob", and when he was born his mother said "I dont have a name for him". This stayed thus.

?

Not everyone has a settled name for a baby when they are born! Give it a few days thought and think of one!! If they are holding it back for the Finale fair enough, otherwise there's no logical reason why they can't give him any name at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

deman wrote: »
    I'm so happy to see people that can decide what to do for themselves instead of doing what everyone else does. If you don't like the show... don't watch it. I know there are only 2/3 episodes left but I dare you NOT to watch them. Go on.... I dare you! :P

it's gone so far from the show i originally enjoyed. if there was any more than two episodes left i would stop watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think the show, despite what people say here, proves that the writers have known what they are at all along. In the first season, we saw Locke play explain Backgammon to Walt, and stating it was a game between Black & White, Jacob & MIB, have their own version of the game, also in Black & white. Also the scene with 'Adam & Eve', how can people say that was just made up, when the stones that Jack found in season 1 tie in perfectly with what happened in Season 6?

So just because they managed to tie in the black and white stones, ur convinced that the writers have had this in mind all along. Don't see it myself. Obviously the black v white thing was gonna play out as it is really evil v good and the writers simply aren't good enuff to come up with anything else. If the writers ment this from day one then why cudn't we have seen maybe one of the brothers as a child during the time skips. It was only last season and to have thrown one of those kids into one of the skips wud of been a sweet way to cement the thought that they had this idea all along. Those 2 bodies cud just as easily turned out to be the real Locke an Christians body and the writers would of come up half ass explanation and alot of Lost fan wud be going around saying "See, i told u the writers had it planned out from the start" Showing us something in series 1 and then given an explanation for it in the final series does nothing to prove there was any kind of plan. All it proves is that the writers tied up a loose end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

i'm just going to call jacobs brother roger from now on, silly that we haven't been given a name yet even though we know it has no relevance whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭dudeitshurley

Jay Ru wrote: »
    So just because they managed to tie in the black and white stones, ur convinced that the writers have had this in mind all along. Don't see it myself. Obviously the black v white thing was gonna play out as it is really evil v good and the writers simply aren't good enuff to come up with anything else. If the writers ment this from day one then why cudn't we have seen maybe one of the brothers as a child during the time skips. It was only last season and to have thrown one of those kids into one of the skips wud of been a sweet way to cement the thought that they had this idea all along. Those 2 bodies cud just as easily turned out to be the real Locke an Christians body and the writers would of come up half ass explanation and alot of Lost fan wud be going around saying "See, i told u the writers had it planned out from the start" Showing us something in series 1 and then given an explanation for it in the final series does nothing to prove there was any kind of plan. All it proves is that the writers tied up a loose end.

+1.

IMO s1-s3 they were going for more an X-Files/conspiracy show with supernatural overtones. we had the Dharma Initiative, the Others, a weird island. The Widmore-Ben-Dharma angles all pointed more down the conspiracy route. Which i probably would have been happy enough with.

The cabin scene itself will never make sense to me. Just as now the time travel, constant, needing to come back on the same flight, .......sigh long list if i keep typing!

I think a fair point is this - we 1st heard about Jacob or at least referenced in s2. If they had any concept of what they were actually doing, why shouldn't we have heard a reference about MIB at any point up until basically s6?

I just think it's a shame that the things we cared most about for the bulk of the show: the losties, the Dharma Initiative, the specialness of certain characters, the mystery surrounding people not being able to have children.......etc etc ETC is all boiling down to a Jacob v MIB conflict, characters either unseen, unreferenced or vague until the very end of s6.

It's almost feeling like that 'game' where you write a story, 1 person starts with a sentence, the next person adds the next sentence, then another person, and you end up having a paragraph:

JJ: i'll start. so once upon a time a plane crashes on a mysterious island...

Damon: (Cool!!)..ok so there are polar bears, monster noises from the jungle and 'Others' on the island...

Carlton: (awesome!) ..ok along with these 'others' there is a creepy organisation who come to the island to explore the special properties on it....

Damon: (JJ where you going?! come on dont be a cry baby, play with us!!!) meh. ok....so then the castaways get shunted through time and space, then a nuke goes off and they get back to square one....

Carlton: (i like!)...so then Jacob, the protector, dies and needs a replacement to guard the island....

Damon: (wait, Jacob who?! what? and where are the creepy organisation and time travel gone to!?! its out there carlton but ur crazy, i like it!!).... and, yeah, he has this nemesis (thinks of name) Johnny Cash who is actually also a smoke monster who can wipe people out at will....

Carlton: (oh damon ,you da man!!)...so Jacob finds a replacement who will do battle with MIB and the fate of the island will be decided.

Damon: ps. they all live happily ever after in an alternate universe.

On my own little ps. :

Lost has provided some of the best episodes of television, best acting, directing, musical scores, drama, emotion of any tv shows i've seen in the past 10 years. It doesn't matter how badly they may **** it up, it won't retrospectively make me hate episodes like The Constant, The Long Con, "?", Flashes Before Your Eyes, LaFleur, The Substitute, but to mention a few. Some brilliant, brilliant tv.

I just wish they could tie it neatly in to make some sort of coherent sense, on any level. Looks like they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

bryanjf wrote: »
    i'm just going to call jacobs brother roger from now on, silly that we haven't been given a name yet even though we know it has no relevance whatsoever

The guy who writes this has decided to call him Cecil. Just for the hell of it.

http://neverseenlost.wordpress.com/

It's a fantastic blog by the way, has had me in pains laughing all the way through this season. Way better than the actual season itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Actually liked this episode, but i think it came 2 or possibility 3 seasons too late. However this season reminds me of someone writing a 2 page english essay and just realising with 10 minutes to go and three quarters through the second page everything they failed to mention. I think the writers planned the 6 seasons poorly, that is if they planned anything at all. They should have done the honourable thing like flashforward :D, sorry faulty towers and quit while they were ahead, 6 seasons for this type of show is too long

Does anyone know how locke knew when it would start raining, sorry if it has been answered before or is a well known fact :o but i don't know why and nothing i've seen has answered that question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

omerin wrote: »

Does anyone know how locke knew when it would start raining, sorry if it has been answered before or is a well known fact :o but i don't know why and nothing i've seen has answered that question

Geez, everyone knows that. You see, there was a light... and a wheel, and some water...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Lol at the poll results - we seem to have a serious split in the audience.

I thought this was superb, an absolute tour de force.

Back in Season One and Two I wanted this to end with a scientific explanation, everything explained, every question boxed off.

And clearly this isn't going to happen.
    The ultimate answer appears to be that no-one knows. That every answer leads to another question. That 'What Happens Happens' to paraphrase Faraday. That the people of 2000 years ago didn't understand the island, nor did the people who came on the Black Rock, nor Rousseaus crew, not the people who buily the statue, nor did the Dharma people, nor the Oceanic people. And crucially nor will the people of 2010 TV Land.

Its a copout, but its wonderful.
    10/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Maybe he wasn't given a name, it was obviously implied since they never said his name ever. I don't think a name will have any relevance now that we know they are not characters from the bible or any other text.

Oh, I'm certain we will not learn his name now. I'm just wondering from a writing perspective, they obviously deliberately chose not to name him, why? Is it a nod to some story? Is it because evil doesn't have a name or something like that. I just like to understand the thinking behind it.
    It seems unnecessary and makes the dialogue feel clunky.

In terms of episode placement, the obvious reason this episode was placed where it was is that they spent the whole season trying to convince people the possibility that MiB/smokey was not evil. The reveal of his true nature only occurred last week. So any episode showing his backstory had to wait until that reveal. Personally it doesn't bother me to have a gap at all between the main story. It was certainly a story that needed to be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

He doesn't have a name, that's why he's never been called a name on screen, or why we wont ever find out his name, he wasn't given one. He was nameless. He was just the one who wasn't 'Jacob', or 'mother'. Very easy in a world of 3 people for one not to have be named anything. I would say 'mother' left it like this out of respect for their real mother.

I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

podge018 wrote: »
    He doesn't have a name, that's why he's never been called a name on screen, or why we wont ever find out his name, he wasn't given one. He was nameless. He was just the one who wasn't 'Jacob', or 'mother'. Very easy in a world of 3 people for one not to have be named anything. I would say 'mother' left it like this out of respect for their real mother.

I guess.

Yes but all that is the justification in the story for not giving him a name. Why did the writers decide to not give him a name or at least not reveal in the show. That's what I am querying.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lost has provided some of the best episodes of television, best acting, directing, musical scores, drama, emotion of any tv shows i've seen in the past 10 years. It doesn't matter how badly they may **** it up, it won't retrospectively make me hate episodes like The Constant, The Long Con, "?", Flashes Before Your Eyes, LaFleur, The Substitute, but to mention a few. Some brilliant, brilliant tv.

I just wish they could tie it neatly in to make some sort of coherent sense, on any level. Looks like they can't.
    Took the words right out of my mouth!

There are a lot of people in this thread who are giving the impression that they think it's funny that people are ready to give up on the show with 2 episodes left.. let's be honest, no-one is doing that!

It's just frustrating that we get episodes like 'Across The Sea' that seem too far attached from what's went before it.

No.. a couple of bad episodes won't retract from the series in my eyes as a whole. But it's upsetting that there are episodes like this that are particular incoherent and out-of-place to close the series and mar it for a lot of people!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

mewso wrote: »
    You could tell by Ye Olden Style clothes and american accents.

Or the Latin. but why then did they break into English? and it is modern english not middle or old so you are talking 1700 or later. American accents imply 1800 or later. I think you might be meant to assume they were still speaking in Latin but that doesn't make any sense if they subtitle some Latin? why by the way do the Korean couple speak to each other in English?
    I'm a bot lost on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

ISAW wrote: »
    Or the Latin. but why then did they break into English? and it is modern english not middle or old so you are talking 1700 or later. American accents imply 1800 or later. I think you might be meant to assume they were still speaking in Latin but that doesn't make any sense if they subtitle some Latin? why by the way do the Korean couple speak to each other in English?

It's an american tv show for an americam audience.......they appear to make an effort at times with authenticity and such but it can be forgiven that they just go back to English....it lets it all flow at a faster pace that way........

....Jin and Sun speaking in English is reasonable...Jin has not spoken a word of Korean in 3 years........2nd nature and all that...Sun responds in kind so that is how it plays out......and we can understand it...so everyone wins right up till they drown.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

From almost the beginning I've had a fear that I knew how Lost would finish up, just one Deus Ex Machina after another in order to tie up all the loose ends, and this season has proven to be just that unfortunately but this episode was Deus Ex Machina from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

all boiling down to a Jacob v MIB conflict, characters either unseen, unreferenced or vague until the very end of s6.

Yeah, that's quite disappointing.

I always thought the final show would tie up a lot of loose ends from previous seasons, however it now appears to be focusing on a conflict we didn't even know existed until the last episode of the fifth season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

ISAW wrote: »

For 'Across The Sea' I think we are meant to assume that the entire episode is spoken in Latin. But an entirely subtitled episode would be a bit tiresome for a (prime-time) English speaking audience so they swap to English very early, and don't worry overmuch about accents, linguistic constructs, sentence structure etc.
    Its a tried and trusted device for any of us who grew up on WW2 flicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

omerin wrote: »

Its very easy in tropical areas to know when it is about to rain. I was away traveling and many times I could tell it was about to rain. My girlfriend used to joke that I was like Locke but I'm afraid I'm not. You can tell a lot by the wildlife around you like birds and the way they suddenly react.

ps The clouds are a giveaway too!

Advertisement