Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

I have an iPod touch 3g.

During the jailbreak process, i can get to the stage where you have to press the power and home buttons continuously, but i can't get past this.

I would appreciate any help!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭arsebandit

I see the last person to ask a bout unlocking 3.1.3 was a few weeks back, does anyone know if its possible to unlock it now???

Im due to but a 3gs today locked to o2 not sure of the baseband.. any help would be great

Bandit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

arsebandit wrote: »
    I see the last person to ask a bout unlocking 3.1.3 was a few weeks back, does anyone know if its possible to unlock it now???

Im due to but a 3gs today locked to o2 not sure of the baseband.. any help would be great

Bandit

Nope. Sorry, not possible. There won't be an unlock until after the new iPhone with OS4 is released this June. The main hacking teams want to keep any exploits they have found until then, because they are increasingly hard to find.

I stupidly lost my own unlock on the iPhone 3.1.2, so I moved to O2 reluctantly. Bit of a pain, but I'm too invested in the iPhone to switch now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 blogger636

Hey!
    im contemplating buying an Iphone frome the U.S.A (relatives can send in mail) due to the price being a fraction of what they are here, i just wondering which model would be the easiest to jailbreak and unlock to run on meteorIE???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

blogger636 wrote: »
    Hey!
    im contemplating buying an Iphone frome the U.S.A (relatives can send in mail) due to the price being a fraction of what they are here, i just wondering which model would be the easiest to jailbreak and unlock to run on meteorIE???

Are you sure you want to do this? You stand a very high possibility of being caught for customs tax, so that would probably make it more expensive than buying it here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

blogger636 wrote: »
    Hey!

A Fraction? Even with good exchange rates they're not exactly that much cheaper than here. You're sure its a genuine iPhone?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So I'll be getting an iPod touch soon and want to jailbreak it, but am quite scared of bricking it or anything :P I'm buying it brand new so my guess is it'll have the latest firmware on it. This method from the iClarified site seems like the best way to do it. Anyone tried it before? Any possible risks?

Much appreciated! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

So I'll be getting an iPod touch soon and want to jailbreak it, but am quite scared of bricking it or anything :P I'm buying it brand new so my guess is it'll have the latest firmware on it. This method from the iClarified site seems like the best way to do it. Anyone tried it before? Any possible risks?

Yeah, I done it on my Iphone 3gs, works just fine.

Yea done mine last nite, a bit scared too but its simple , 1 click, then follow a few instructions to download a few programes , then the world is at your finger tips!!! i just downlaoded over 8 gigs of free apps(cracked) apps, inc tom tom sat nav!! ;) I dont think you can brick a ipod.. i could stand corrected.. but i think this only happens to iphones being "unlocked" not jailbroken but not 100% sure.

While im at it........ a quick question, i ran spirit on a iphone today for a mate running 3.1.3, jailbrake only not unlocked will anything happen his phone if he updates to os 4 when it comes out??? Anyone know???

• Registered Users Posts: 11 blogger636

whiterebel wrote: »
    A Fraction? Even with good exchange rates they're not exactly that much cheaper than here. You're sure its a genuine iPhone?
    Wel I can get my uncle to get me a 16g Iphone 3gs for about $150 and he can take it home with him to Ireland in June. Just wondering how difficult it is to jailbreak and unlock??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Just a quick question. My phone has been unlocked now officially by 02. Can I safely jailbreak my iphone without fear of it locking again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Just a quick question. My phone has been unlocked now officially by 02. Can I safely jailbreak my iphone without fear of it locking again?

Yes, Jailbreak away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Celtxx wrote: »
    Yes, Jailbreak away!
    Although will the iPhone 4.0 OS update in the summer not revert the jailbreak?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Probably, but he seemd to be more asking about the unlock, which isn't affected. Presumably 4.0 will break the jailbreak.....

Any software upgrade will undo a Jailbreak and the phone will need to be Jailbroken again. But if a phone is officially unlocked it will keep this status through any software upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Right, I'm sorry if this has been answered countless times before (actually, it's a safe bet it has), but I'm in way over my head with the technical side of things and just wanted to get a few things clear before I attempt to Jailbreak my iPhone. I've read through this thread and either missed where it was explained, or I'm just not smart enough to understand it.

Firstly, is there any way to backup my contacts, mails and txts so that they can be copied back over when it's jailbroken? I know I can backup most things with iTunes, but if I restore, does that mess up the Jailbreak?

And secondly, if it all goes tits up, am I right in assuming that I can just reset the ipod to factory settings and restore from the iTunes backup, and everything will be as if it were never Jailbroken?

And thirdly, is it "Jailbroken" or "Jailbreaked"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭savemejebus

1) You don't need to restore to put all your contacts etc. on the phone. You can choose to sync them with itunes so a restore isn't needed
    2)You are correct
    3)Jailbroken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

1) You don't need to restore to put all your contacts etc. on the phone. You can choose to sync them with itunes so a restore isn't needed
    2)You are correct
    3)Jailbroken :)
    Excellent Stuff. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Hi there,

I have a brand new 3GS, a friend got it as an upgrade. I want to use it, but I get the "The SIM card inserted in this phone does not appear to be supported" message, and the connect to iTunes logo is on the phone itself.

I havn't yet tried to unlock or jailbreak it. I would like to jailbrerak it, but have no idea what OS firmware version it's running. Is there any way to find out in my current situation? Or can I just try any of the jailbreaking software?

Cheers.

Egyptian wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have a brand new 3GS, a friend got it as an upgrade. I want to use it, but I get the "The SIM card inserted in this phone does not appear to be supported" message, and the connect to iTunes logo is on the phone itself.

I havn't yet tried to unlock or jailbreak it. I would like to jailbrerak it, but have no idea what OS firmware version it's running. Is there any way to find out in my current situation? Or can I just try any of the jailbreaking software?

Cheers.

If it's brand new then it's most likely 3.1.3 firmware which you can jailbreak with spirit. BUT you will have to activate it first with a simcard from a legitimate carrier vodafone or O2 depending on which one it's locked to.
    Try and activate it with your friends simcard and remember you will have to be on the same network as it will be simlocked.

If you are on the same network as your friend and it's still gives the un-supported message then you probably just need a newer sim in which case drop into your local store and they will give you a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Redshift wrote: »
    If it's brand new then it's most likely 3.1.3 firmware which you can jailbreak with spirit. BUT you will have to activate it first with a simcard from a legitimate carrier vodafone or O2 depending on which one it's locked to.
    Try and activate it with your friends simcard and remember you will have to be on the same network as it will be simlocked.

If you are on the same network as your friend and it's still gives the un-supported message then you probably just need a newer sim in which case drop into your local store and they will give you a new one.

Nice one. Yeah, I've been trying to put a Meteor sim, but he's with Vodafone, so I'll get myself a Vodafone SIM and try to activate it.

Once I'vedone that, and jailbroken the iphone with Spirit, are you saying I'll still only be able to use Vodafone SIMs? If so is there any way yet to unlock to all networks?

Cheers

Egyptian wrote: »
    Nice one. Yeah, I've been trying to put a Meteor sim, but he's with Vodafone, so I'll get myself a Vodafone SIM and try to activate it.

Once I'vedone that, and jailbroken the iphone with Spirit, are you saying I'll still only be able to use Vodafone SIMs? If so is there any way yet to unlock to all networks?

Cheers

Your stuck with vodafone i'm afraid. There is rumours of a jailbreak / unlock being released after OS 4.0 which is around the end of june I belive. so just keep an eye on the forums untill then.

Make sure you get spirit from spiritjb.com as there are versions with spyware floating about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've a 3gs which is jailbroken, and on o2. The glass cracked in it today, just one crack, which Apple cover under their Applecare warranty. They'll send me a new 3gs, and I send back my old one. But obviously the new one will have this new pain in the hole baseband.

As I don't want to unlock it, only jailbreak it, can this be done with a 3.1.3 firmware on the latest and greatest baseband?

If this has been done before, apologies

Yep, the Spirit jailbreak works on the latest firmware and baseband. An unlock is not available yet, but as you have said, you just need the jailbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Man, I love you. That post has made me the happiest person going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

I have a new iphone, and after reading online a bit I understand I can't jailbreak it, is this right?

Its model number MC131T
    Version: 3.1.3 (7E18)
    Model Firmware: 05.12.01

Something about it being a new base or something? Or am I wrong and it is jailbreakable afterall? :confused:

Also if it is the case that I can't jailbreak at the minute, will it be possible to do at some time in the future? It's just I'm downloading some *SNIP* at the minute and am keen to use them!

Thanks!

No it cant be unlocked at the moment but it CAN be jailbroke with no problems, i bought a iphone yesterday and jailbroke it this morning, very easy to do, if you need any help pm me and i will explain how to do it.

arsebandit wrote: »
    No it cant be unlocked at the moment but it CAN be jailbroke with no problems, i bought a iphone yesterday and jailbroke it this morning, very easy to do, if you need any help pm me and i will explain how to do it.

Thanks, Its already factory unlocked, so this shouldn't be any problem should it? sorry for the noob questions but this is the first apple thing I've owned and I don't want it to become a paperweight! If I just follow this video, thats basically all I need to know, yeah?

Thanks!

Success :)

Thanks arsebandit :), and sorry lackofcolour :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Hey,
    I'm having a lot of trouble here and I hope someone can help. I'm trying to unlock from O2 my iphone 3G. It's running 3.1.2 firmware and the baseband is 05.11.07.

It's jailbroken, so I have installed ultrasn0w and run it. It didn't work because of the baseband so I got fuzzyband but that said that I cannot downgrade from my version :mad:

So, is there anything I can do ?

Much appreciate any help.

Advertisement