Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

cotwold wrote: »
    Yeah you can ^

Cheers, you dont have a link to a step by step guide do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Cheers, you dont have a link to a step by step guide do you?

This is the tutorial I used.

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/11/jailbreak-unlock-iphone-3g-3gs-3-1-2-with-blackra1n/

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

I've used this website before here. Theres also alot of tutorial on youtube how to do it with redsnow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I've learnt that I can unlock my iPhone by downgrading the baseband. How safe is this?

Just to clarify then whatever happens with updating to the latest firmware you will always be able to unlock the iPhone 3G?

• Advertisement

In all likelihood yes but i wouldn't upgrade to 3.1.3 just yet. It's a lot more difficult to unlock than 3.1.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ciaranhughes

hi i recenlty bought an iphone 3gs of one of my friends cousin, and ive been trying to get it open to all networks, but it keeps being stuck in recovery mode, and ive tried doing the hold power and home button but it keeps being in recovery mode and it wont sync to the computer,
    im running out of patience, help... :( my friend says it is update to the latest software he thinks... should i just leave it in to a shop.? or is there any geniuses out there..? :)

What have you updated it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ciaranhughes

cotwold wrote: »
    What have you updated it to.

i cant be sure as the phone wont work with my sim card...? he said the latest one i think, and he said that the unlocking software is out now, just it stays as recovery mode, any help would be appercaited..

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/11/jailbreak-unlock-iphone-3g-3gs-3-1-2-with-blackra1n/

Lads any help I am following this and can not get blackrain working. It says the ASL.dll was not found. Im on Windows XP and when selecting the programe compatibilty it only gives the choice up to Windows 2000. What should i do? Im starting to kind of freak out with the useless iPhone sitting here.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Install the latest version of iTunes. Then connect your phone, then close iTunes. Then run Blackra1n. Make sure you get Blackra1n from the original location - http://www.blackra1n.com

You cannot yet jailbreak a 3GS on 3.1.3, so be aware of that.

Cheers

hshortt wrote: »
    Install the latest version of iTunes. Then connect your phone, then close iTunes. Then run Blackra1n. Make sure you get Blackra1n from the original location - http://www.blackra1n.com

You cannot yet jailbreak a 3GS on 3.1.3, so be aware of that.

Cheers

Ye its updated to 3.1.2 at the moment but blackrain keeps crashing and i have gotten it from an official source. I will try it on another computer and see if it works. Its seems a few people have had the same problem but there doesnt seem to be any solution. And i for one cant makes any sense of this website.http://find-article.net/asl-dll-fehlt-blackrain.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Where are you putting the file on your computer? Are you running it as a local administrator (don't even know if this is necessary), are you using any kind of USB hub to connect the phone? Does iTunes see the phone/sync to it? What else is running?

I use Win7 and have no issues running the application here.

Cheers

hshortt wrote: »
    Where are you putting the file on your computer? Are you running it as a local administrator (don't even know if this is necessary), are you using any kind of USB hub to connect the phone? Does iTunes see the phone/sync to it? What else is running?

I use Win7 and have no issues running the application here.

I have tried three different computer all running XP and they all crash when i hit the make it ra1n buttom. Have blackra1n saved to My Documents and had all other programes closed. It was the normal USB hub i have always used at the back. And when i have iTunes open it does recognise it alright.
    I was running as admin on at least 2 of the computers. Gona try get my hands on a laptop with vista and try.
    Reading through comments on certain pages a few people report the same poblem but never write back to how the fixed it.

Cheers for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I have tried three different computer all running XP and they all crash when i hit the make it ra1n buttom. Have blackra1n saved to My Documents and had all other programes closed. It was the normal USB hub i have always used at the back. And when i have iTunes open it does recognise it alright.
    I was running as admin on at least 2 of the computers. Gona try get my hands on a laptop with vista and try.
    Reading through comments on certain pages a few people report the same poblem but never write back to how the fixed it.

Cheers for the help.
    Anto,

I dont know what stage you are at with updating your phone , but it seems you cannot get blackra1n to work ?

More than likely you have updated your iTunes account to 9.1 which will screw up the blackra1n process.
    To work around this , cut your blackra1n.exe file and paste it here:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support folder

When its pasted into his location run it from there , and should then not error out .

Let me know,

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

hi all i brought a 3gs for myself jailbroke it and unlocked it with no probs. no the other half wants one too. ive found one for sale still sealed so i cannot check baseband/firmware etc. is it possible to tell from the serial number? i think its week 50? 88950d*****

thanks
    paul

Its a week 50 2009 ...more than likely a 359.3.2 bootrom , this means a tethered jailbreak , but to find out if its jailbreakable you will need to find out the current firmware.

mixednuts wrote: »
    Anto,

I dont know what stage you are at with updating your phone , but it seems you cannot get blackra1n to work ?

More than likely you have updated your iTunes account to 9.1 which will screw up the blackra1n process.
    To work around this , cut your blackra1n.exe file and paste it here:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support folder

When its pasted into his location run it from there , and should then not error out .

Let me know,

M.

Ye i updated iTunes. And that worked a charm. Thanks a million. Delighted now. Thanks again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

thanks mixed nuts ill get the seller to open the box

Ye i updated iTunes. And that worked a charm. Thanks a million. Delighted now. Thanks again:D

Glad to help ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sbran

hi

i was woundering if someone can help,

i was given an iphone 3gs with a firmware version of 3.1.3 and a baseband of 05.12.01, it is locked to vodafone,

i have tried to use blackra1n but then i saw my firmware version is too high,

1. can i downgrade firmware without having a previous version on my laptop

2. is there any way of unlocking it on this version

any help would be brilliant

thanks

sbran wrote: »
    hi

i was woundering if someone can help,

i was given an iphone 3gs with a firmware version of 3.1.3 and a baseband of 05.12.01, it is locked to vodafone,

i have tried to use blackra1n but then i saw my firmware version is too high,

1. can i downgrade firmware without having a previous version on my laptop

2. is there any way of unlocking it on this version

any help would be brilliant

thanks
    Unfortunatly there is no jailbreak or unlock available for your phone (yet ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

Also just to clarify for people, if you have an iPod Touch 3rd Generation 8GB then if your downgrading to 3.1.2. you need to infact download the firmware for iPod Touch 2nd Generation, as it's really just the second generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ainom

Folks,

Anyone know if it is easy enough to unlock an Iphone that has been locked by the network operator because it was reported stolen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wubadub

sorry everyone but im so confused

I just bought a 3G 8GB iPhone. its 3.1.3, and 05.12.01. Bought it on vodafone but i want to use it with a meteor sim.

I think I have it jailbroken - I was able to install Cydia?

Is it possible to unlock this phone, and how?! I have trawled through the thread and I'm as muddled up as anything :(

Would appreciate some help, thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Getting a 16GB 3GS tomorrow for my wife.

Now i don't know the frameware yet. But i am wondering can i connect it to itunes without destroying it nad having to start off.

Connceting it to a mac if that makes any difference ???

Getting a 16GB 3GS tomorrow for my wife.

Now i don't know the frameware yet. But i am wondering can i connect it to itunes without destroying it nad having to start off.

Connceting it to a mac if that makes any difference ???

Elvis,
    I think i answered your other other post...

To start with as a precaution , don't update your iTunes on your MAC to 9.1 , just for the interim til you find out the following :

a.)What firmware is the phone currently on.
    b.)Is it pre or post week 40 2009 (post me the first 6 digits of the serial )
    c.)Whats it currently jalibroken with .. Blackra1n , Redsnow etc etc
    d.)Whats it currently unlocked with ...blacksn0w , ultra etc etc
    e.)Is it a tethered or untetherd jailbreak ?

The vendor should easily know all these .

Clear as mud Yea ? :D

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Cheers mixednuts !!

I won't do anything until i have all the info !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

ainom wrote: »
    Folks,

Anyone know if it is easy enough to unlock an Iphone that has been locked by the network operator because it was reported stolen?

The phone is not locked. The IMEI is barred, BIG difference. As the phone was reported stolen you are in one of the following situations:

1. You bought / received a stolen iphone ( Screwed on all Irish networks as it is barred by the service provider and as a result will be barred on ALL irish networks )

2. You claimed for a insured stolen :rolleyes: iphone and now you have 2. ( you are still screwed - as above )

3. You reported the phone stolen and it has now been recovered. If you were not in receipt of a replacement, simply call the provider, explain the situation, proved you are who you say you are i.e the registered owner, and the ban will be lifted there and then

The only way to reacquired use of the phone is if the operator lifts the bar.

Otherwise, you now have an Itouch, that looks like an iphone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 johnsmith1974

I read through loads of posts, but did not find the answer to this:

If I buy an unlocked, jailbroken 3gs in the USA, I can bring it back here and use it. however, what data plan can I buy in Ireland that will let me use the phone, and 3g? Can I just call up vodafone and get them to add a data plan to my original Irish number and plan?

Thanks for the help! !!!

(Prefer not to get stuck into an 18 month contract, no upgrade, with a new iPhone coming out in 4-6 months time...)

Advertisement