Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Brian017 wrote: »
    iTunes keeps prompting me to update my Carrier Settings. Will I lose my unlock if I do this?

No. I expect you are on Vodafone? The carrier settings update includes settings for MMS, Data connection and importantly internet tethering which is very useful.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

hshortt wrote: »
    You won't need to unlock it if you are using O2 as a provider. On the possibility of jailbreak and unlock for 3.13, it seems that Geohot has a solution but is providing no release as of yet. Also, this removes tethering for anyone interested. Check the details and video here

Cheers

That's not a jailbreak for 3.1.3. There will be none for 3.1.3 unfortunately. It is an untethered jailbreak for currently tethered jailbroken devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Elessar wrote: »
    That's not a jailbreak for 3.1.3. There will be none for 3.1.3 unfortunately. It is an untethered jailbreak for currently tethered jailbroken devices.

"And probably the iPad" :) That's going to be at least 3.1.3

Cheers

hshortt wrote: »
    "And probably the iPad" :) That's going to be at least 3.1.3

Cheers

I suspect the iPad will have it's own OS, similar but not identical to the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Elessar wrote: »

Why do you say "there will be none for 3.1.3"? They've successfully managed to jailbreak and unlock every other release of iPhone OS...

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    Why do you say "there will be none for 3.1.3"? They've successfully managed to jailbreak and unlock every other release of iPhone OS...

3.1.3 has nothing new and the dev teams have been warning people not to update because it is effectively useless, and they won't be jailbreaking it. Because it's not worth exposing one of the few exploits in the code that Apple will inevitably patch in the next update.

But geoh0t has cracked it so I presume he will release an unlock app.

In the meantime, can anyone advise the best way to downgrade from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2? Is it possible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Thank you :-)

Bah, can't use it as my baseband is 05.12.01 :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Bah, can't use it as my baseband is 05.12.01 :-(

If you have a 3GS and have already updated to 3.1.3 ( officially) then at this point in time there is no jb or unlock available.

Geohot's recent development ( new untethered jb exploit for all devices ) is not a 3.1.3 jailbreak or unlock . It simply is an improvent for blackra1n RC3 .

When this new exploit is released is the big question , does he show his hand pre 4.0 , and have it patched ? Or will we not see anything til June / July .

M

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Hi lads, just got my hands on a ipodtouch 2g here,
    the current version on it is 1.1.5 just did a restore on it there..
    to update it to the 3.1.3 version it'll cost me €3.99
    should I purchase this version and then go about unlocking it
    btw anyone got voltage.rar there?
    its not coming up in the links provided in the first post..

Lenny - you can jailbreak 3.1.3 easily (using redsn0w for mac - don't know of a windows app off-hand).

I think i'm going to just pay o2 the £15 for an official unlock. Bah.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Lenny - you can jailbreak 3.1.3 easily (using redsn0w for mac - don't know of a windows app off-hand).

I think i'm going to just pay o2 the £15 for an official unlock. Bah.

I take it you're in the UK having to pay for the unlock.
    its weird, I honestly would have thought O2 IRL would be charging for the unlock codes too..
    but regarding your post, I see on another website
    [/quote]Fortunately for iPhone 2G and iPod touch 2G(older models only) and 1G users, you can use redsn0w 0.9.3 to jailbreak your device on iPhone 3.1.3 firmware.[/quote]

I can get redsnow for windows alright..
    but what I'm saying is, am I best just to pay apple €3.99 an update the touch to 3.1.3 to get started?
    are the itouches unbrickable like the iphones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

you can get ipod touch firmware online for nothing , not posting any links though ill imagine thats against the rules , although people always doing it with iphone firmware

re edit
    ok cool, just found something there, thanks for saving my me 3.99 ;)
    didn't know you could shift click the restore button in itunes
    its actualy a 1g touch I have, giving it to my gf so wouldn mind testing the apps on it for free so then I could buy them on my iphone

Lenny wrote: »
    I take it you're in the UK having to pay for the unlock.
    its weird, I honestly would have thought O2 IRL would be charging for the unlock codes too..

I am/was an o2 UK PAYG customer. If i'd been on a contract they'd have unlocked free of charge. o2 IRL also charge PAYG customers for the unlock.

They don't
    We are pleased to say that we will able to provide this service very soon to Customers who’s handsets meet the following criteria:

• You must be registered on O2.ie and the O2Forum
    • Prepaid customers must have topped up with a minimum €150 on the registered SIM card (this excludes bonus credits)
    • You must have bought the phone from O2 Ireland

So the process of using redsnow to jailbrake the ipod touch 1G,
    so how do I get the free apps?
    Like searching through cydia, it doesn't seem to have the same things that are on the app store, and cydia still wants payment for items?
    is there something else I need to install?

You need to setup various sources in Cydia to get access to the homebrew style apps.
    If you're talking about getting paid for iTunes store apps from Cydia, we can't discuss that here for legal reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cwrenn

..as i seem to have lost track of the current state of play..i'm using a jb and unlocked iPhone on 3.0. i'm using Itunes 8.something (.0 i think, but not currently at home, so can't double check, sorry). am i able to update my itunes without losing my jb and unlock? i remember that i wasn't supposed to a couple of months back, but can't figure out if that still stands.thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Hi all,

I've scanned through this thread but just need to be sure.

I'm running a Jailbroken 3GS on Firmware 3.0.

I'd like to upgrade to 3.1 but keep my jailbreak.

I take it this means i need to download the 3.1.2 Firmware (not 3.1.3) and jaibreak that?

Are there any steps for this and does it differ (and is it easier) if my phone is already Jailbroken?

cwrenn wrote: »
    ..as i seem to have lost track of the current state of play..i'm using a jb and unlocked iPhone on 3.0. i'm using Itunes 8.something (.0 i think, but not currently at home, so can't double check, sorry). am i able to update my itunes without losing my jb and unlock? i remember that i wasn't supposed to a couple of months back, but can't figure out if that still stands.thanks guys.

Installing the latest version of iTunes has no effect on your iPhone...it's the iPhone software updates you have to worry about. You shouldn't update that as it'll install 3.1.3 which CAN be jailbroken but CANNOT be unlocked (unless you get the official unlock from the mobile network you bought the phone off).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cwrenn

quarryman - my understanding is that you'll need the IPSW for 3.1.2, and jb as normal? apologies if this is incorrect.eth0_ - thanks for that. for some reason i have it in my head from when i jb'd and unlocked (approx july august last year) that there was a warning not to upgrade itunes (aswell as the Iphone OS)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

quarryman wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've scanned through this thread but just need to be sure.

I'm running a Jailbroken 3GS on Firmware 3.0.

I'd like to upgrade to 3.1 but keep my jailbreak.

I take it this means i need to download the 3.1.2 Firmware (not 3.1.3) and jaibreak that?

Are there any steps for this and does it differ (and is it easier) if my phone is already Jailbroken?

Here You Go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

i got a 16gb iphone 3gs on the company upgrade ( i dont have a company phone just used one of the upgrades ) and im with a diff network , is there anyway of jailbreaking it out of the box ??? i dont want the hassel of getting a new sim and my number changed over , to then just jailbreak and switch back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

mixednuts wrote: »

thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Can anyone try clear up few things for me please?
    Had a read of the Dev Team blog and am trying to make sense of.

Im on a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G running OS 3.0.1.
    Never felt the need to update but now more and more apps seem to need 3.1.
    From what I understand if I update I will be able to jailbreak but lose my unlock which I need. Is this the case or have I missed something?
    Would appreciate if someone could just clear that up thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian017

AFAIK, you can unlock upto 3.1.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

Yeah you can ^

Advertisement