Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

KC61 wrote: »
    That is somewhat unfair.

The introduction of clockface timetabling and the hourly Dublin/Cork service came from Mr. Fearn's instigation, as did the 22000 Class order.

The clockface timetables were in the Stategic Rail Review in 2003 before Dick Fearn even came to Ireland.

Next question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Dick FearnBeeching closed so many railways in the uk maybe Dick Fearn wants to be remembered for doing the same here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

The clockface timetables were in the Stategic Rail Review in 2003 before Dick Fearn even came to Ireland.

Next question?

In fact Joe Meagher discussed this with me on the Marion Finnucane show in April 2003, a few weeks before the SRR was published.

KC61 wrote: »
    That is somewhat unfair.

The introduction of clockface timetabling and the hourly Dublin/Cork service came from Mr. Fearn's instigation, as did the 22000 Class order.

He instigated them, but didn't devise the idea. Instigating them is his job. Please demonstrate where he has had a uniquely positive contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Are you saying that he came here for the challenge?

Nah. I think it was natural career progression. His last job was in Railtrack (remember them) and I suspect that he had been on the lookout for an even more disfunctional organisation for quite some time. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

He instigated them, but didn't devise the idea. Instigating them is his job.

Therefore he did his job, whats wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't forget the RPSI's 'Farewell to the South Wexford line' tour is on this Friday 7th May. :D

GM loco and MkII's.

Detailed timingss here on IRN: http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/1718/t/Re-RPSI-2010.html?page=-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That is a rather defeatist attitude from the RPSI.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bond-007 wrote: »

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]This train is now Sold Out, no further tickets are available."

They should run another bye byesy gig so!
    [/FONT]

In fairness to the Nordies they are not marketing it as a farewell tour - that will be left to their brothers in the IRRS. :D

• Advertisement

In fairness to the Nordies they are not marketing it as a farewell tour - that will be left to their brothers in the IRRS. :D
    The Fossils. ;)

Not really. They are just running a railtour over the line, if anything it might bring a bit of publicity.

The Fossils. ;)

Its not really fair to be throwing comments like that about voluntary groups like the IRRS on a public board. Fair enough use it to criticise IÉ but its hardly right to slag groups of volunteers who went to much effort to record the development of Irish Railways at their own effort.

Calling it a farewell is defeatist imho.

Calling it a farewell is defeatist imho.

From any publicity I've read the RPSI are not calling it a farewell tour, it appears to be simply called the 'South Wexford Diesel Railtour'.

Its not really fair to be throwing comments like that about voluntary groups like the IRRS on a public board. Fair enough use it to criticise IÉ but its hardly right to slag groups of volunteers who went to much effort to record the development of Irish Railways at their own effort.

If a member of the IRRS wants to come on here and defend the organisation, they can do so.

From any publicity I've read the RPSI are not calling it a farewell tour, it appears to be simply called the 'South Wexford Diesel Railtour'.

And I think it was planned before the closure was announced.

If a member of the IRRS wants to come on here and defend the organisation, they can do so.

And sure in the mean time I suppose people can go on boards and slag a group of volunteers despite them having done nothing to deserve it, a group that probably aren't even represented on this board. Yes, thats very big of you all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I'm sure they have better things to be doing than to challenge the peddlers of nonsense that hang around here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

And sure in the mean time I suppose people can go on boards and slag a group of volunteers despite them having done nothing to deserve it, a group that probably aren't even represented on this board. Yes, thats very big of you all...

Well put.

• Advertisement

shamwari wrote: »
    I'm sure they have better things to be doing than to challenge the peddlers of nonsense that hang around here :rolleyes:

Yeah, there must be a nut or rivet that needs ticking off on the last triple bogied beet wagon that traversed the Parsonstown & Portumna branch. Or maybe the whistle from the Turfburner needs polishing! :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

SOUTH WEXFORD RAILTOUR (7th May 2010) [-]59536a55159fa33dc97bdf9e60d1f84b3d23cf5b_t.jpg
    (07/04/10 22:44:29)

With Irish Rail’s announcement on 7th April that they are to withdraw services on the Waterford to Rosslare line, the RPSI’s forthcoming South Wexford Railtour may be the last chance to sample locomotive-hauled travel on that route.

A booking form is available at:

That's the post - no mention of it being a farewell tour !!! Clear enough IMO !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Yep,it's a fringe event of the 'Dalriada Railtour'. It's been ages since a loco hauled service travelled the South Wexford.

The IRRS gig down the WRC wasn't labeled as a farewell to the MKIII's but the phrase was mentioned a few times over the day and at least once over the PA on the train.

Now in all honesty thats just pure excuse making. Like any fair media outlet, this forum does allow the right of reply. Haven't you and your band of "thank you" merchants used that right many times?

If the IRRS are unhappy with what is said about them here, they (and their members) have the right to reply to any remarks made about them. To say that they "aren't even represented here" is misleading.

In terms of the law, no remarks made here about the IRRS (to my knowledge) are defamatory or directed at a particular member. There is a particular opinion held by a small few and they are entitled to it. From my own perspective, I acknowledge the work they have done, but I dislike the way they are reluctant to productively comment on major issues affecting the rail network and their answer to a closure order is a farewell tour. (it can in all fairness be viewed as a kind of vulture practise) I understand they are not a lobby, but their place in railway matters places them in the line of fire when issues of importance to regular rail customers cross over into their activities. While they may not like how certain issues on the railway are handled, their silence is deafening apart from muted articles in their journals. I suspect this is because of their dependence on IE for mundane things like access to info and the traditional "footplate" pass. This makes them a fairly redundant entity in terms of accurate commentary on the actual running of the railway. But their historical recording is of immense benefit.

shamwari wrote: »

Who's "they"?

Rank and file membership can speak up for the organisation. This forum is very accessible. Unless "they" means that the committee is some kind of sacred entity that is above using the web to actively comment on its affairs. (apart from its own web site)

If committee members have better things to do then fair play to them. But that doesn't mean the opinions expressed here about the IRRS are unmerited or deserving of arrogant remarks like yours.

Define what you mean by peddlers of nonsense and back it up please.

Now in all honesty thats just pure excuse making. Like any fair media outlet, this forum does allow the right of reply. Haven't you and your band of "thank you" merchants used that right many times?

If the IRRS are unhappy with what is said about them here, they (and their members) have the right to reply to any remarks made about them. To say that they "aren't even represented here" is misleading.

In terms of the law, no remarks made here about the IRRS (to my knowledge) are defamatory or directed at a particular member. There is a particular opinion held by a small few and they are entitled to it. From my own perspective, I acknowledge the work they have done, but I dislike the way they are reluctant to productively comment on major issues affecting the rail network and their answer to a closure order is a farewell tour. (it can in all fairness be viewed as a kind of vulture practise) I understand they are not a lobby, but their place in railway matters places them in the line of fire when issues of importance to regular rail customers cross over into their activities. While they may not like how certain issues on the railway are handled, their silence is deafening apart from muted articles in their journals. I suspect this is because of their dependence on IE for mundane things like access to info and the traditional "footplate" pass. This makes them a fairly redundant entity in terms of accurate commentary on the actual running of the railway. But their historical recording is of immense benefit.

To be fair, the IRRS's remit is to record rail development, etc... not to provide a critical commentary. It's not fair to criticise an organisation for not doing something which is not part of their estabhlished objectives, they are not a pressure group like rail users or west on track. In fact, criticising the IRRS for not providing critical commentary is as bad as criticising railusers for not recording locomotive workings. Its simply not part of their aims.

You of course are entitled to you're opinion, but when discussing on a public board surely some degree of respect should be shown all the same. There are groups which I don't agree with but I wouldn't slag them off on a public board by calling them fossils or some other name. In case anyones wondering no I'm not a member of the IRRS, I just don't agree with the way this board is used for little jibes and snide name calling at various groups.

Also, the term 'fossils' in particular comes across as being a bit ageist.

To be fair, the IRRS's remit is to record rail development, etc... not to provide a critical commentary. It's not fair to criticise an organisation for not doing something which is not part of their estabhlished objectives, they are not a pressure group like rail users or west on track. In fact, criticising the IRRS for not providing critical commentary is as bad as criticising railusers for not recording locomotive workings. Its simply not part of their aims.

You of course are entitled to you're opinion, but when discussing on a public board surely some degree of respect should be shown all the same. There are groups which I don't agree with but I wouldn't slag them off on a public board by calling them fossils or some other name. In case anyones wondering no I'm not a member of the IRRS, I just don't agree with the way this board is used for little jibes and snide name calling at various groups.

They provide a very onesided critical commentary in their journals. The Government get it full force, but IE never get it to the same degree, even when they are at fault.

Rail users Ireland, West on Track and even me have got it in the neck on this forum. The difference between me and the other groups is that its a personal remark and only dangerous if it calls your character into question. But slagging off groups or individuals for their opinions is fair game anywhere. Ive been slagged off here and had my opinions challenged. Its cool. Only when it gets personal is their a problem and you can't get personal too easily with an organisation. If one was to call the IRRS a bastion of corruption and fraud, then you may have a point with your concern over what is said here about them. But its not like that.

As for the fossils remarks, its based on the age profile of the committee. Ageist? Perhaps. But in terms of the IRRS, ageism would be a hard crime to pin on any accuser.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Well traditionally, the fossils IRRS membership has largely been drawn from retired CIE/IE staff, hence the term. They are, in effect, a sort of continuity CIE and while they have some done some useful work in terms of preserving historical records, their commentary on events generally toes the party line.

Dick Fearn could shut Cork-Dublin in the morning and the IRRS would back the decision. In fact, they'd probably be eyeing up what equipment from the line they could transport to their base at Heuston.

Hungerford wrote: »
    Well traditionally, the fossils IRRS membership has largely been drawn from retired CIE/IE staff, hence the term. They are, in effect, a sort of continuity CIE and while they have some done some useful work in terms of preserving historical records, their commentary on events generally toes the party line.

Dick Fearn could shut Cork-Dublin in the morning and the IRRS would back the decision. In fact, they'd probably be eyeing up what equipment from the line they could transport to their base at Heuston.

Exactly.

• Advertisement

Hungerford wrote: »

And they wouldn't give a damn about the line closing as long as Tarquin OBE from Tunbridge Wells could give a lecture to them about his experiences manning the catering poison trolley on the Up Mail in 1931. Afterwards they could all sit down for a chicken dinner with Dick Fearn and his chums. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement