Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3-M50 interchange

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Heroditas wrote: »
    Hold on, isn't that not the M50 NB to N3 westbound? It loops right around and down again onto the new bridge they lifted into place over the M50
    If you're on the M50 NB and looking to head into the city, won't you still have to use the existing roundabout? :confused:

Ye, your right.

http://m50.ie/uploads/images/N3%20Alternative%20Final%20Proposal%20vf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Heroditas wrote: »
    Hold on, isn't that not the M50 NB to N3 westbound? It loops right around and down again onto the new bridge they lifted into place over the M50
    If you're on the M50 NB and looking to head into the city, won't you still have to use the existing roundabout? :confused:
    Davy wrote: »

yep ye're right. didn't check just presumed it was heading off in that general direction. Actually makes it a bit easier to tie in so.

anyway any dates?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Last i heard october is still the planned finished time for the n3 junction

Yeah but I was only wondering when the next movement changes are been made etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

so is the pedestrian footbridge still straight across or is it the windy thing that was suggested in one of those diagrams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Random wrote: »
    so is the pedestrian footbridge still straight across or is it the windy thing that was suggested in one of those diagrams?
    It is still straight, but longer, though the eastern side will become some zig-zag thing later (with steps shortcut).

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Ah! of course.... I forgot about the contractors taking the summer off!

Seriously though, this really cannot be true, can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

It's nowhere near finished Simon, it's a mammoth job, getting it finished by October would actually be pretty impressive in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I presume October is when the Junction will be completely opened but I sure some sections will be opened before then??

I presume the N3 Inbound Freeflow should be opened before then...

Also does anyone know when Lane 1 will be opened under this junction heading NB??

celticbest wrote: »
    I presume October is when the Junction will be completely opened but I sure some sections will be opened before then??

I presume the N3 Inbound Freeflow should be opened before then...

Also does anyone know when Lane 1 will be opened under this junction heading NB??

M50 said it wouldn't reopen until the junction was complete. I assume this would mean when the M50NB to N3 outbound opens. These new lanes for the up and over and back around are beside this "lane 1" on the mainline so I presume they'll all have to open together.

• Advertisement

Taken yesterday:

104q68p.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Wheaven

cargo wrote: »
    Came through the junction this am and noticed a lot of near ready sections / slips etc so I'd say some of the movements will change on this soon. the up and over from M50 NB to City

Correct me if I am wrong but M50 Northbound onto N3 City will still use the N3 Roundabout.

Northbound Slip over M50 will bring you to Navan & Cavan N3/M3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've been trying to figure out that crappy photomontage on the M50 website but can anyone confirm what's going to happen for N3 outbound traffic? Inbound looks great, you get a free pass to Auburn Avenue but from what I can see, outbound will still have to go through 4 traffic lights. One at Auburn Avenue, two on the existing M50 roundabout (at the same places you have to stop now) and a forth at the Blanchardstown junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

I've been trying to figure out that crappy photomontage on the M50 website but can anyone confirm what's going to happen for N3 outbound traffic? Inbound looks great, you get a free pass to Auburn Avenue but from what I can see, outbound will still have to go through 4 traffic lights. One at Auburn Avenue, two on the existing M50 roundabout (at the same places you have to stop now) and a forth at the Blanchardstown junction?
    Yup, N3 outbound isn't great. But all traffic coming from the M50 in both directions heading towards the N3 outbound will bypass the roundabout so the roundabout will be a lot emptier.

and a forth at the Blanchardstown junction?

From What I can see at Blanch Village there will be no or minimal lights as from Blanch Village you will go under the N3 Outbound.

Heading outbound from the N3/M50 Roundabout there will be no lights as you will pass over the Road coming from Blanch Village and then Merge with Traffic that has come off the M50(northbound heading Navan / Cavan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

how will you go under the n3 outbound from blanch? i can't see where they've started any work on this or would have room?

• Looking at the photomontage, there's no bridge there Just a set of lights.

Random wrote: »
    how will you go under the n3 outbound from blanch? i can't see where they've started any work on this or would have room?

Blanchardstown Village inbound to city will go under the N3 Outbound , N3 Outbound from N3/M50 will go over this road on a small overbridge and then merge with the new section, I know it is a very tight area, but if you look closely at this junction that is what seems to be happening.

• Wheaven wrote: »
    Blanchardstown Village inbound to city will go under the N3 Outbound , N3 Outbound from N3/M50 will go over this road on a small overbridge and then merge with the new section, I know it is a very tight area, but if you look closely at this junction that is what seems to be happening.

But, all the bridges are shown in grey, there appears to be no bridge there.

All Major Overbridge have been marked in Grey, as this is a small overbridge they have not highlighted in Grey, if this junction was going to stay with lights, then why bother with the pronounced curve as shown in Photo of the road coming from blanchardstown village heading inbound to city and N3/M50 Roundabout.

• Advertisement

• Wheaven wrote: »
    All Major Overbridge have been marked in Grey, as this is a small overbridge they have not highlighted in Grey, if this junction was going to stay with lights, then why bother with the pronounced curve as shown in Photo of the road coming from blanchardstown village heading inbound to city and N3/M50 Roundabout.

Don't forget, that junction has already been rebuilt as it used to be a roundabout, as for the curve, safety!

Inbound looks great, you get a free pass to Auburn Avenue but from what I can see, outbound will still have to go through 4 traffic lights. One at Auburn Avenue, two on the existing M50 roundabout (at the same places you have to stop now) and a forth at the Blanchardstown junction?
    I don't think that there will be lights on the N3/M50 roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭mackerski

daymobrew wrote: »

You think they'll be removing them? I'd love you to be right, but I haven't seen any suggestion of this. In similar situations (M1/M50) the lights have remained even though the roundabout carries less traffic afterwards.

Don't forget, that junction has already been rebuilt as it used to be a roundabout, as for the curve, safety!

Hi, I understand junction has been rebuilt and was formerly a roundabout but traffic lights are temporary if you look closely at full N3 photomontage on M50.ie, when all works are finished in this area you will no longer be able to turn Right into Blanchardstown Village coming from Clonee /Navan as where you currently turn former roundabout now traffic lights will be removed as Slip Road from M50 heading to Navan / Cavan will cut through this Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Wheaven wrote: »
    Hi, I understand junction has been rebuilt and was formerly a roundabout but traffic lights are temporary if you look closely at full N3 photomontage on M50.ie, when all works are finished in this area you will no longer be able to turn Right into Blanchardstown Village coming from Clonee /Navan as where you currently turn former roundabout now traffic lights will be removed as Slip Road from M50 heading to Navan / Cavan will cut through this Junction.

There is definately not going to be a bridge at this junctions (...and it most probably will be signalised)!!! I pass it multiple times/week and you can clearly see the new layout emerging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

daymobrew wrote: »

What makes you think that?

Traffic will still be coming up the M50 southbound slip road (i.e. traffic that is going into Blanchardstown village and not heading to Navan/Cavan) so there will have to be lights or at least a yield and as it's still a decent sized roundabout with the traffic more than likely traveling at speed, I'd say they'll have to have lights.

Likewise at the first set out lights that outbound N3 traffic hit on this roundabout will probably have to stay as there will be some traffic, albeit light volumes wanting to get around.

Actually in my original post I said it looked like there'll be 4 stopping points for outbound N3 traffic. I actually think now that it'll be 5 as I left out the junction at the gym/hospital.

2u91suw.jpg

sgsh9x.jpg

315bdef.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They must have rebuilt this junction about 10 times, over 15yrs. One bad design after another. Will there ever be an entrance to the hospital there?

What makes you think that?

Traffic will still be coming up the M50 southbound slip road (i.e. traffic that is going into Blanchardstown village and not heading to Navan/Cavan) so there will have to be lights or at least a yield and as it's still a decent sized roundabout with the traffic more than likely traveling at speed, I'd say they'll have to have lights.
    I'd dig up some drawings if I could find them.
    I assumed that we'd be merging like at N7 and N4 junctions. They don't have lights.
    I realise that they don't have a roundabout structure, but merging of two roads occurs at multiple points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Really not the prettiest junction in the world is it? :D

Advertisement