Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Fart wrote: »
    Stingiest thing I've seen stingy people do?..

This.

That's not stingy, it's frugal!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

That's not stingy, it's genius!

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Recently stopped a petrol station as it was 1:30 per litre 4 cents cheaper etc...put in 25 euro worth as that usually gives me close to a half tank and that should fill it I thought. Lo and behold start to drive off and realised I'd only got less than a quarter of a tank out of it. Never again will I step in to that station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Remember the table quiz nights in pubs years ago. Usually to raise money for some local charity or team or school. It cost about £5 per person on a team and the winning team won maybe a hundred quid. But this was always given back to the charity.

Until one weekend, and for the first time ever I was on a winning team. Along with 2 mates and my American cousin who was visiting. Mates and myself straight away said to keep the money, it was more the craic on those nights anyway. The cousin was pissed and after about 5 minutes of argueing he went up to the top table and asked for his share of the winnings stating that as he wasn't local he didn't feel any need to give his share to local boys GAA club.

Needless to say he has never been too welcome around home even to this day.

Local gombeenism at its best :rolleyes:

Dont advertise a prize if your going to scorn at someone for actually thinking they are entitled to it. Your club are a disgrace IMO - Get them in with the carrot of the €100 prize and then make them feel crap for taking it?

Heres an idea - if the quiz REALLY is just for the craic, then why not just advertise it without cash prizes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

I know of a shop who....
    Cut the 50 pence off token off the Ariel automatic boxes and then sold the bags normal price.
    Split the 2 for price of 1 items and sell the two of them for normal price.
    When they went away on holidays, had non duty Marlboro for sale when they came back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Was at a Rowing Dinner dance a few years back. Tickets were sold during the meal for a raffle. The prizes donated by the sponsors ranged from bottles of brandy, Whiskey, Meals for two, hotels stays, golf games etc...

My ticket was pulled out at one stage and walked up and told to pick a prize. A myserious envelope was placed on the shelf with all the drink and being a young fella i wasnt really into Whiskey or golf and didn have a girlfriend at the time so I chose the mysterious envelope.

Found 2 scratch cards in the envelope, donated by a local business. FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Local gombeenism at its best :rolleyes:

Dont advertise a prize if your going to scorn at someone for actually thinking they are entitled to it. Your club are a disgrace IMO - Get them in with the carrot of the €100 prize and then make them feel crap for taking it?

Heres an idea - if the quiz REALLY is just for the craic, then why not just advertise it without cash prizes?

Wow

Thing is there was never a prize advertised. Never. Just those flyers done up on a home computer saying there was a quiz in aid of whatever (not necessarily a club, could have been for the church, school or foreign aid) and how much a table would cost.

At the end of the night the winning team was announced and told to come up and collect their prize, which was never specified, to which the team would recline the offer. It was routine run-of-the-mill.

There may have been a bit of cute-hoorism in there (I was only a young lad at the time and wouldn't have known better and this was Ireland 15-20 years ago) but definitly none of the malice you seem to think there was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I was once 2c short for Christmas shopping - Clothes etc. And she asked me put something back.. Even though I was spending like 400 quid.

I left everything there and told her to go fúck off with herself and her shítty shop.

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Wow

Thing is there was never a prize advertised. Never. Just those flyers done up on a home computer saying there was a quiz in aid of whatever (not necessarily a club, could have been for the church, school or foreign aid) and how much a table would cost.

At the end of the night the winning team was announced and told to come up and collect their prize, which was never specified, to which the team would recline the offer. It was routine run-of-the-mill.

There may have been a bit of cute-hoorism in there (I was only a young lad at the time and wouldn't have known better and this was Ireland 15-20 years ago) but definitly none of the malice you seem to think there was.

I call shenanigans! That's an episode of the Fresh Prince, Will wins in Craps and keeps the money instead of giving it back, making THe family look like they are in dire straits. He eventually gives it to some poor black kid to go to Basketball camp.

You ripped that off!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,315 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Sykk wrote: »
    I was once 2c short for Christmas shopping - Clothes etc. And she asked me put something back.. Even though I was spending like 400 quid.

I left everything there and told her to go fúck off with herself and her shítty shop.

Couldn't blame you.

Wouldn't have cursed, just would have said goodbye though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

noodler wrote: »
    Couldn't blame you.

Wouldn't have cursed, just would have said goodbye though.

Nah! Leave in the curses but then add a couple of headbutts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

clinchy wrote: »
    haha love it saw a guy in mc donalds robbing loads of packets of ketchup and salt and heard him say to his mate that he fill up the salt and ketchup at home when they start to run low classy guy

May have done this...................but i was seriously broke!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Sykk wrote: »

fair play to you.
    i hate when they do that when you are 2 cent over with petrol.

lately i have been kinda penny pinching and if i can help it at all i will try to only use the free text messages online.
    saving of 13 cent per text. it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My uncle once brought a medium chip and a loaf of bread and shared out out between himself his wife and their 6 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

A mate of mine was trying to decide what to get his brother for his birthday a good few years back and eventually decided on a happy meal from Mc Donalds. This was way back when you used to get that crappy glove thingy with a picture of Ronald on it, and were supposed to use it as a hand puppet and a balloon i think. So if this wasn't stingy enough he ate the meal before he gave it to his brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

My uncle once brought a medium chip and a loaf of bread and shared out out between himself his wife and their 6 kids.
    That's not stingey.. That's being unable to afford proper food for your family. And yes, you're going to hell for judging him for that.

hyperbaby wrote: »
    fair play to you.
    i hate when they do that when you are 2 cent over with petrol.

lately i have been kinda penny pinching and if i can help it at all i will try to only use the free text messages online.
    saving of 13 cent per text. it all adds up.

Why not just get a payment plan that has free texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I call shenanigans! That's an episode of the Fresh Prince, Will wins in Craps and keeps the money instead of giving it back, making THe family look like they are in dire straits. He eventually gives it to some poor black kid to go to Basketball camp.

You ripped that off!

Actually a similar thing happened to a friend of mine. His team won a table quiz with a €200 prize (I was on another team). They went up to collect their prize and shook hands with the guy running the quiz. Then I saw the guy whispering something to them, then they started whispering to themselves, then they said something to him and went back to their table.

He later told me that the guy told him it was a tradition for the winners to give the winnings back for the charity (we had never been in this quiz before). The lads discussed it amongst themselves and told him they'd prefer to keep it. We didn't stay around too long after the quiz but he said they were getting some dirty looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

He later told me that the guy told him it was a tradition for the winners to give the winnings back for the charity (we had never been in this quiz before). The lads discussed it amongst themselves and told him they'd prefer to keep it. We didn't stay around too long after the quiz but he said they were getting some dirty looks

I have no problem with this kind of tradition for real charities, but when you're at a table quiz to fund some bloody do-gooder student's trip to Kenya for a "life changing experience" under the guise of charity work and they expect you to do this, then it really annoys me.

In fact that is probably the stingiest thing i've seen, somebody not wanting to pay for their own gap year holiday, so pretending they're going to help a charity and forcing friends and family to cover the costs.

Trashbat wrote: »
    I have no problem with this kind of tradition for real charities, but when you're at a table quiz to fund some bloody do-gooder student's trip to Kenya for a "life changing experience" under the guise of charity work and they expect you to do this, then it really annoys me.

In fact that is probably the stingiest thing i've seen, somebody not wanting to pay for their own gap year holiday, so pretending they're going to help a charity and forcing friends and family to cover the costs.

This in getting more and more commonplace - Lots of Folks expect People to pay for their Holidays these days.

- There'd be a lot more money left for the Charity if you did your sponsored walk in Ireland rather than going on a lovely trekking holiday to the Red Sea or South America :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Raiser wrote: »
    - There'd be a lot more money left for the Charity if you did your sponsored walk in Ireland rather than going on a lovely trekking holiday to the Red Sea or South America :confused:
    I agree. Follow the link in my sig to get involved in a genuine Irish Charity Drive in aid of ICS.

\Spam

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

finally i've gotten through the whole thread!!

.....this happened years ago , i was sent out one evening to buy a mass card / sympathy card , checked in a few places but no joy , but was directed to a house that was selling them , off i went , knocked , enquired and payed a few quid for one , then when i got home i opened the envelope , took out the card and someone had used tippex to erase the writing on it! a second hand card :eek: i figured this was some kind of genuine mistake and trudged back to the house , i explained what had happened and they gave me a different card , on impulse i decided to open the card and check it before leaving and guess what ? same story :eek:
    i was so shocked i just asked for my money back which the crafty cnuts duely did and went home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trashbat wrote: »

If I remember correctly, I think it was for a golf club. Feck that, they get enough money from membership fees and the like!

finally i've gotten through the whole thread!!

.....this happened years ago , i was sent out one evening to buy a mass card / sympathy card , checked in a few places but no joy , but was directed to a house that was selling them , off i went , knocked , enquired and payed a few quid for one , then when i got home i opened the envelope , took out the card and someone had used tippex to erase the writing on it! a second hand card :eek: i figured this was some kind of genuine mistake and trudged back to the house , i explained what had happened and they gave me a different card , on impulse i decided to open the card and check it before leaving and guess what ? same story :eek:
    i was so shocked i just asked for my money back which the crafty cnuts duely did and went home :(

I only discovered recently but the whole Mass Cards thing is actually a massive earner for the Church. Fair enough Hallmark made their Billions charging a 1000% mark-up on a piece of patterned cardboard with a picture on it - But the Church refined this excellently by adding "blessings" and "holy wishes" and cranking the price up that bit further......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ItisintheSTARS

sweetie wrote: »
    my dad tells a story from when he was younger and he was drinking with some friends and one of them was teetotal. When it came to his round he bought 4 fizzy oranges for them.

That's not mean that's good sense,because the Irish drink too much anyway.

Do you mean he did not share it with any one else ?

caseyann wrote: »
    I saw that in movie :D
    How about the one when you actually see the person take the tips plural other people left on other tables as they walk out and they are in 1000 euro suit and get in a jaguar :D Seen that once lol

Guess we know how rich stay rich lol

Oh yes this reminds me an English man I know.His wife and I are friends,she is Irish. I dread going out with them for coffee,because they always insist on going to the cafe where I loath the patron.
    That is because the cups are bigger there, than other cafes with a better atmosphere.
    And guess what, they have three houses, in three parts of the world.
    Oh I could go on,but you do not have time.

Acacia wrote: »
    My stingiest moment was when I won a giant Easter Egg in the local Easter Egg Bingo ( I come from a very boring, small town- it was the highlight of the year). I was so incredibly mean, I wouldn't share any with my siblings. I had tried to make it last so I ate it really slowly , it took days. One day, a tiny bit of the egg fell onto the kitchen floor. |I told my brother he could have that piece, and nothing else.

I was a horrible, horrible child. :o

But a good adult :D

Birneybau wrote: »
    A 45 month old puppy????

You sure he does'nt just have "Learning Disabilities"?

Funny ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I hate when people don't know how to multi-quote :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement