Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I remember one night a prick I used to hang out with asked to go to town to see some act I never heard of. Why not.

Some of his friends had no tickets so had to cancel when we waited there for ages, went elsewhere for a drink, I got one, next I suggested he get one to which I got a poncy dirty look.

In the end it "didn't make sense" for him to stay there and just drink with me. So he left me there and went home and when I think back now, what a deluded asswipe.

Complete stingy cúnt all round.

Remember another time we were on a trip coming home, I had some cash he didn't. I paid for food, taxi, food again in another city, gave money for a trolley and the cúnt pocketed the money upon return of it. A horrible bastard. Still had money on his card/s :pac:

That financial series of loans were never mentioned to me again. :rolleyes:

People like that though never end up with much in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

My friend got two full weekend tickets to oxygen off her mother who won them from a radio station. We already had ours so she asked this girl she worked with that we had met a couple of times to come on the free ticket - sweet deal. My mates mam even went and bought the two girls a tent, sleeping bags and some booze for the weekend, so cute!

When we went to get the bus to oxygen my mate had her cash packed inside her bag so the girl she brough just said oh I'll get your bus ticket and save you pulling all your **** out of your bag (cost €11). Then when we got off the bus the bitch says - oh can you make sure you give me that €11 back when you get your cash out.

I could not believe it. Here this poxy bitch got a free full ticket to oxygen, my mates ma had bought them their tent, sleeping bags, and booze and she then had the cheek to ask for the €11 bus fare back - and my mate did give it back to her! I was so angry I really had to hold back from saying something. What a ****in liberty. I seriously doubt that I will ever witness anything as tight, stingy and down right mean the rest of my days. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Novella wrote: »
    Hahahaha. I once went two cent over when putting petrol in my car, went in to pay, said "Twenty euro petrol", handed over the money. The guy behind the counter says, "And two cent?". I actually couldn't believe it! I always get really nervous when I'm putting petrol in my car now. :o
    I always get that, even if it's one cent over. Fair enough all the cents add up I suppose but then they should make the machines easier to not go over it, I rarely get it bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Back in my schooling days when a group of us used buy smokes between us a friend of mine came out with this classic, we were short 20p, so I ask our friend if he had a lend of 20p ( yes I did say lend ) his response was '' i only have a pound coin and I don't want to break into it '':rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Kenzi

Michael B wrote: »
    I always get that, even if it's one cent over. Fair enough all the cents add up I suppose but then they should make the machines easier to not go over it, I rarely get it bang on.

It depends who's behind the till.We rarely charge the cent or 2 or three,whatever it may be.Sometimes the customer gives it to us which is good as,as you said, it does add up at the end but there is the odd arogant ****er so we will charge that person.People have come to pay me for petrol and have gone well over 20cent and expect me to just take lets say 20e for 20.35 petrol.There is certtain petrol stations around by me where after you've stopped filling usually there a small bit left in the pipe(whatever else you want to call it) and the pumps charge for that,haha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Kenzi wrote: »
    It depends who's behind the till.We rarely charge the cent or 2 or three,whatever it may be.Sometimes the customer gives it to us which is good as,as you said, it does add up at the end but there is the odd arogant ****er so we will charge that person.People have come to pay me for petrol and have gone well over 20cent and expect me to just take lets say 20e for 20.35 petrol.There is certtain petrol stations around by me where after you've stopped filling usually there a small bit left in the pipe(whatever else you want to call it) and the pumps charge for that,haha

Some pumps go at a certain speed for most of the fill, then at about E19.50 they take off at a much higher speed:mad::mad::mad: Now THATS mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Friend of mine was at the restaurant with a large group of friends one night. One of the "friends"took it upon himself to take care of ordering the wine, followed by some champagne and generally ordered only the best including his meal and in large quantities.

So when it came to settling the bill, which was colossal at this point, the guy who had been ordering like he was Donald Trump, informs his friends and in the same arrogant grace in which he had ordered everything, that he was flat broke and had no money on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Some pumps go at a certain speed for most of the fill, then at about E19.50 they take off at a much higher speed:mad::mad::mad: Now THATS mean

I find this highly dubious

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

also highly illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Guy I used to work with didn't want to spend money on bottled water but didn't want to drink tap water either, so he boils it in the kettle and leaves it cool down before drinking it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Mont wrote: »
    Anyone notice that the meanest people are the rich ones - i have a mate whose family is loaded and the guy is the stingiest in the world - he would pick up 2c if he saw it on the street, always shops in the Somalia shop and is so proud when he picks up a top for under a tenner. One of the lads went shopping with him in Dunnes and he picked up a load of stuff but was too mean to pay the 22c for a bag so the 2 of them practically carried 15 items each for a half a mile

I'd call that smart

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

alex73 wrote: »
    Some years ago I was given a piece of advise, Give without expecting in return, I always tip, and give to charity or collections. This started in 1999 when I just started work and hadn't a penny. Well ten years later I can say I am a lot better off. Strange thing is that all the money I have given has come back by other paths.

1. Found £20 on east wall footpath
    2. Found €20 euros in Lucan Superquinn Carpark.
    3. Won £50 on a scartch card on the quays in Dublin (gave £5 to the girl who sold it to me)
    4. Was in an airport and put a euro in a slot machine and won €200.
    5. Won 26 euros in another slot machine 6 months later.
    6. Got a bonus at work every year.
    7. Sold shares at a profit.
    8. Wife has won loads, jackpot at bingo, couple of hundred on lotto.

All in All I think I have got back 5 times more than I have given. Most important rule, Always tip (10% to 15%) always give to charity, always be generous, and never expect anything in return. It really works. call it Karma or what you like, but if everyone was like this, we would all feel better.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What a fascinating reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I heard a rumour that Devore is going to delete this thread to save money on bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

alex73 wrote: »
    Some years ago I was given a piece of advise, Give without expecting in return, I always tip, and give to charity or collections. This started in 1999 when I just started work and hadn't a penny. Well ten years later I can say I am a lot better off. Strange thing is that all the money I have given has come back by other paths.

1. Found £20 on east wall footpath
    2. Found €20 euros in Lucan Superquinn Carpark.
    3. Won £50 on a scartch card on the quays in Dublin (gave £5 to the girl who sold it to me)
    4. Was in an airport and put a euro in a slot machine and won €200.
    5. Won 26 euros in another slot machine 6 months later.
    6. Got a bonus at work every year.
    7. Sold shares at a profit.
    8. Wife has won loads, jackpot at bingo, couple of hundred on lotto.

All in All I think I have got back 5 times more than I have given. Most important rule, Always tip (10% to 15%) always give to charity, always be generous, and never expect anything in return. It really works. call it Karma or what you like, but if everyone was like this, we would all feel better.

Don't forget this.

I was gonna thank that post for the lols provided, but I don't want the mistake made that I'm condoning hoodoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

My girlfriends friend who's unemployed is the tightest person I know.
    Whenever she goes out she gets a bottle of wkd and a pint glass full of ice, she might as well water down her drink than put ice in it because shes a slow drinker.
    Another thing that annoys me is in chinese restraunts were people ask for a doggy bag so they can bring the leftovers home to reheat.
    I was in subway last week and saw a coupe sharing a 6 inch sub between eachother how stingy is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

mikeym wrote: »
    My girlfriends friend who's unemployed is the tightest person I know.
    Whenever she goes out she gets a bottle of wkd and a pint glass full of ice, she might as well water down her drink than put ice in it because shes a slow drinker.
    Lightweight maybe, doesn't wanna get locked?
    Another thing that annoys me is in chinese restraunts were people ask for a doggy bag so they can bring the leftovers home to reheat.
    Stingy enough I suppose.
    I was in subway last week and saw a coupe sharing a 6 inch sub between eachother how stingy is that.

Not too hungry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Lightweight maybe, doesn't wanna get locked?

Stingy enough I suppose.
    iNot too hungry?

always get a doggy bag, if i have something with a bone in it, i have 3 dogs so they enjoy that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Thats just common sense. Nothing stingy there. Stinginess has to be ridiculous or illegal or immoral.

What, my post or the practice of speeding up the pumps? I can PM you the place that does it!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Guy I used to work with didn't want to spend money on bottled water but didn't want to drink tap water either, so he boils it in the kettle and leaves it cool down before drinking it!
    Um, this costs money. :) And boiled water tends to taste worse and it has been de-oxygenated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

eoin wrote: »
    What a fascinating reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

maybe its not to be reheated? my grandmother always takes the meat home for her dog, some people actually use doggy bags for their pets you know! :)

my dad on the other hand is the stingiest!
    he is the kind who in a restaurant will ask for the cork for a bottle of wine so he can bring it home even though theres barely a glass left in it! he actually did this at my 21st (despite the fact my mother and her fiance paid for the meal) while proudly telling us him and his wife always do it! :eek:thank god i only see him twice a year

another time he told my sister to 'save her pocket money' when she asked him to buy her a packet of crayola crayons! :eek: they were four euro, he then stood by and did nothing while i gave her the money to buy them,:( me being the pennyless student at the time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

I used to have a friend who would never ever pay for anything, ever and it always left to me to foot the bill, she used to play on the sympathy card a bit too.

What really gets me now is the people who won't do rounds. Ok I understand if you're in a big group of 10 people upwards but when you're out with one friend and it's just the two of ye, it's only fair to do it in rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Erica<3 wrote: »
    I used to have a friend who would never ever pay for anything, ever and it always left to me to foot the bill, she used to play on the sympathy card a bit too.

What really gets me now is the people who won't do rounds. Ok I understand if you're in a big group of 10 people upwards but when you're out with one friend and it's just the two of ye, it's only fair to do it in rounds.

What if you only want one or two drinks and the other friend wants to drink more?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I tell this without a word of a lie

When i was growing up back in Wales, Saturday was pocket money day, i got 50p which was awesome, me and a few other mates always used to go straight to the shop and spend it on as many sweets as possible. We were all about 6yrs old

There was about 6 in our little gang, 1 lad, called Paul, never had pocket money, his dad used to tell him that he was putting his 50p in a money box for him and when he was 17, and old enough to drive he'd have enough for a car. His dad even showed him putting the money in the box

Paul used to delight in telling us he'd be driving around in a nice car when he was 17 and we wouldn't.

Seen Paul a year or so ago and had a chat, asked him about the car and what it was. His dad had been putting his 50p into the fcukin electric meter!!!

Now that is just pure stinginess

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

segaBOY wrote: »
    What if you only want one or two drinks and the other friend wants to drink more?

Thats a good point, I've never really had that problem if i'm honest. If it ever did come up though, that the person i'm drinking with doesn't want to drink that much I'd probably go along with it. Not because i'm stingy, but out of courtesy so they wouldn't feel awkward about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Double licking a stamp for the extra taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

scudzilla wrote: »
    I tell this without a word of a lie

When i was growing up back in Wales, Saturday was pocket money day, i got 50p which was awesome, me and a few other mates always used to go straight to the shop and spend it on as many sweets as possible. We were all about 6yrs old

There was about 6 in our little gang, 1 lad, called Paul, never had pocket money, his dad used to tell him that he was putting his 50p in a money box for him and when he was 17, and old enough to drive he'd have enough for a car. His dad even showed him putting the money in the box

Paul used to delight in telling us he'd be driving around in a nice car when he was 17 and we wouldn't.

Seen Paul a year or so ago and had a chat, asked him about the car and what it was. His dad had been putting his 50p into the fcukin electric meter!!!

Now that is just pure stinginess

Is it just me or do these stingy stories make us really laugh out loud :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

What, my post or the practice of speeding up the pumps? I can PM you the place that does it!
    I highly doubt that you can. Have you considered how complicated a system that would be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I highly doubt that you can. Have you considered how complicated a system that would be?

It's not hard at all. You could use a dual spray electronically timed pump, which may have 2 nozzles, but only 1 sprays until a certain point, which is when the second one would come in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement